The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia announces availability of MODO DRUM
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Nut
Cubase / Nuendo has drum tracks that you can change mapping in, its pretty easy even if you don't have a preset to pull up and have to spend 10-15 minutes doing it manually. Then just save as a preset, and you're good for old and new projects.

Not sure what other DAWS may have this/similar feature too.
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
That was in response to the ridiculous statement (not by you) that "General MIDI sounds like Muzak" or similar.

The team is aware of the mapping requests.

OK great thanks Peter.

The dynamics and the sound of MODO drums is terrific. My only difficulty has been "talking to it".
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwr View Post
Cubase / Nuendo has drum tracks that you can change mapping in, its pretty easy even if you don't have a preset to pull up and have to spend 10-15 minutes doing it manually. Then just save as a preset, and you're good for old and new projects.

Not sure what other DAWS may have this/similar feature too.
Good point! While we wait for developments from the team, Cubase 10 users can find the user made MIDI map here on the IK forums:

https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum...p?f=39&t=22008
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Addict

interstate love song with Modo bass and drums
Attached Files

Interstate Love Song FINAL.mp3 (7.40 MB, 2535 views)

Old 20th August 2019
Really digging this! I can't find to turn OFF round robin though, is that not possible somehow? Especially if I'd like to layer the drums up with something else (where stable phase response is a necessity), round robin is more counterproductive than anything else.
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
The groove is great, but the drums sound like an old Simmons SDS5 kit. Is that by design, because they didn't sound like real drums to me.
So actually what I did was I left the Abbey Road Studio 3 room simulator on the Far speaker setting when I exported the groove that ended up sounding like drums played in the Holland Tunnel! No quicker way to ruin an export than to leave that awesome plugin on during bounce out

But here is the same Odd Grooves midi played on the Modo Drum Bubinga Kit on the 'DryFunk' Preset. I followed it by IK's One processor with -1db Body / +1db Focus / +1db Air. No compression and only limiting the top top peaks. Oh and the 'Room' in Modo is turned all the way down (it's a drum 'booth' in that preset anyways). No other mix/compression values changed in the VI.

Such great tone when driven by 'live' played midi, IMHO
Attached Files

Modo Drum w-OddGrooves-Midi-On-Bubinga-DryFunkPreset.wav (10.72 MB, 1344 views)

Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
So actually what I did was I left the Abbey Road Studio 3 room simulator on the Far speaker setting when I exported the groove that ended up sounding like drums played in the Holland Tunnel! No quicker way to ruin an export than to leave that awesome plugin on during bounce out

But here is the same Odd Grooves midi played on the Modo Drum Bubinga Kit on the 'DryFunk' Preset. I followed it by IK's One processor with -1db Body / +1db Focus / +1db Air. No compression and only limiting the top top peaks. Oh and the 'Room' in Modo is turned all the way down (it's a drum 'booth' in that preset anyways). No other mix/compression values changed in the VI.

Such great tone when driven by 'live' played midi, IMHO
Just had a listen from my phone.
It still sounds rather stiff especially on the snare is my first impression. A real drummer plays a riff with much more ghost notes around the accented hits. Sorry but that's my gut feeling.
Old 21st August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_IK View Post
Please contact the team [/URL]if you guys are looking for any extra help or you would like refund for any reason.
Ryan -- you may want to comment on this. I contacted customer support, as you suggested, but discovered that I needed to sell my case in order to get the refund, and it was offered as what appeared to be a favor. So, it is not accurate to suggest that refunds are available "for any reason" and customers should be aware of this before dropping the $150 under that assumption.
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
It still sounds rather stiff especially on the snare is my first impression. A real drummer plays a riff with much more ghost notes around the accented hits. Sorry but that's my gut feeling.
Hmmm. In a previous post, I spoke about how Modo's 'slider' function kind of misses the action at times with grooves that are not optimized for Modo Drum. If you know what you are talking about then you will see in this sreenshot from a section of the midi file that has all the things you think it doesn't because it IS live played.

Part of the reason why I think IK should bring in session guys so that the nuances are better captured.
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia announces availability of MODO DRUM-odd-groove-midi-sample.jpg  
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
MODO DRUM won't add ghost notes to an existing MIDI file (this one was from OddGrooves who are very very good, though, so I'm surprised it didn't live up to standards). Just to clarify in case anybody read that as a MODO DRUM issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Ryan -- you may want to comment on this. I contacted customer support, as you suggested, but discovered that I needed to sell my case in order to get the refund, and it was offered as what appeared to be a favor. So, it is not accurate to suggest that refunds are available "for any reason" and customers should be aware of this before dropping the $150 under that assumption.
Ryan clarified in that post with:
Quote:
We are more than happy to look into any specific cases for users in technical support. Please contact the team if you guys are looking for any extra help or you would like refund for any reason.

NOTE:Support will look into the request to see if a refund is a viable option.
The first part did need clarifying since you read it as we'd give refunds for any reason, but it was meant as if you were looking for a refund for any (probably would have been better as "whatever" or "a specific") reason. The note that follows should clarify that IK Support would look into each case to see if it was a valid option. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused you.

Edit - for future reference, our policies including the IK EULA can be viewed on the IK website via this link.
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Addict

What’s the new teaser tone? Modo guitar?

https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/08/...teaser-video-/
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
MODO DRUM won't add ghost notes to an existing MIDI file (this one was from OddGrooves who are very very good, though, so I'm surprised it didn't live up to standards). Just to clarify in case anybody read that as a MODO DRUM issue.
In fairness and not meaning to get off track the slider in Modo to adjust midi velocities is a great tool. But it does not replace fully the need to manually adjust to taste. My issue was the questioning whether or not the drums are live played. So here is the same Modo Drum Bubinga DryFunk preset with all drums except for the Snare being turned down and the velocity slider +15% to raise the ghost notes up in level.

Anyone that uses Drummer VIs knows that midi recorded with and for a specific VI generally turns out how the performer intended. So again I hope IK releases their own content for Modo. Drops some Bass lines for Modo Bass while you're at it
Attached Files

Modo Drum w-OddGrooves-Midi-On-Bubinga-DryFunkPreset-Snare-Spotlight.wav (10.21 MB, 1331 views)

Old 21st August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDroste View Post
What’s the new teaser tone? Modo guitar?

https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/08/...teaser-video-/
Probably it’s a Brian May amplitube signature pack.
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Yep, Amplitube Brian May.
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
So here is the same Modo Drum Bubinga DryFunk preset with all drums except for the Snare being turned down and the velocity slider +15% to raise the ghost notes up in level.
Grooves vs live playing aside, these do sound really nice, thanks for posting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
Yep, Amplitube Brian May.
Man, I would pay using real money for Amplitube Brian May. Pity my guitar skills are so pitiful.
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoKrooked View Post
Really digging this! I can't find to turn OFF round robin though, is that not possible somehow? Especially if I'd like to layer the drums up with something else (where stable phase response is a necessity), round robin is more counterproductive than anything else.
Sampling individual hits or failing that using loads of distortion and multiple stages of compression for dnb I would have thought.
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Peter and Ryan. Feature request (unless I'm not doing it right!) would love to be able to switch the order of the FX processors in the chain by simply grabbing and sliding. Sometimes you want to experiment with the order. Similar functionality to Ozone Neutron or Tokyo Dawn's Limiter 6. Please and thank you!
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Peter and Ryan. Feature request (unless I'm not doing it right!) would love to be able to switch the order of the FX processors in the chain by simply grabbing and sliding. Sometimes you want to experiment with the order. Similar functionality to Ozone Neutron or Tokyo Dawn's Limiter 6. Please and thank you!
Ahhhh. I see. You can do just that in the main mixer window but not in the FX Window (once you click edit). So sliding inside the FX window as well please.
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1k View Post
Of course the Mapping has nothing to do with the sound or style. But it has everything to do with...... mapping!!!

GM mapping just doesn't play nice with my Roland TD-20X and a 10pc kit. Without the "LEARN" option I would have to literally move my MIDI notes to match the GM map. That's nuts. I have a lot of existing MIDI tracks and it isn't practical to move the notes all over. Especially considering all of my other Drum VSTIs can LEARN and make a custom map.

Am I completely missing something here? I would love to be wrong about this, but I've been doing this stuff for quite a while.

Thanks.
While it won't help existing tracks (would need something like a DAW drum map, or Ez player pro), I have in the past created a custom kit in my Yamaha Drum brain to match a VSTi without MIDI learn.
Old 22nd August 2019
Studio One Drag and Drop

Anyone else having issues dropping midi grooves into a Studio One session? Instead of the groove dropping into the track, it prompts me with a message about allowing general midi, then opens an entirely new project/song page where it drops the groove.

Never had this issue with any other drum instrument. I submitted a ticket with IK, but thought I'd check here since the group usually responds faster than support.

UPDATE: IK Support says it's a known bug and they're working to fix it

Last edited by Baxterbrown; 22nd August 2019 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was in response to the ridiculous statement (not by you) that "General MIDI sounds like Muzak" or similar.
Yeah... that was me. General MIDI got caught in the crossfire, I guess.

I completely stand by my statement that IK's decision to put forth MODO DRUM (initially... we hope) mapped solely upon GM as... weak/short-sighted/ridiculous.

GM == Muzak was in reference to my fellow slut that proclaimed he's been using GM since the 90's... and therefore... he felt no need for MODO to expand beyond that (mapping). Whilst listening to his posted audio examples... particularly Come Together... all I could hear, on one end of the spectrum, was his vocals... and on the other end, was his MODO drums (that also sounded like they were triggered/performed from a downloaded MIDI file). THEY sounded like $hite! His vocals sounded passionate, and like he was having fun. Everything in between sounded like it was triggered from 1990's GM sound modules. Net result to me was... Muzak!

Quote:
The team is aware of the mapping requests.
MODO Bass == GM mapping... of course.

MODO Drums == GM mapping???

Come on. Lets get serious!
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Addict

Mapping is not only for e-drummers.
I play drums from a midi controller and i absolutely need remapping for i have a setup tailored to my needs. It's indeed the most basic function. But i'm sure they are aware and working on it.
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
Mapping is not only for e-drummers.
Sorry mate... I didn't mean to imply that it was.

Seems I'm falling right down on my communicable skills about mapping and GM silliness all around.

Their on it... their on it.

See you here when they're done.
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Sorry mate... I didn't mean to imply that it was.

Seems I'm falling right down on my communicable skills about mapping and GM silliness all around.

Their on it... their on it.

See you here when they're done.
Oh sorry it wasn't directed at you, just on the general topic.
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
Oh sorry it wasn't directed at you, just on the general topic.
Right back at you, my friend...

And at the rest of'em.
Old 23rd August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDroste View Post
interstate love song with Modo bass and drums
Liking the vocals on this
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhorizon View Post
Liking the vocals on this
Thank you very much. Jeff Walker is the singer and he’ll happily sing on any song demos or originals...

He did it in two takes then the overdubs then next song :-) we usually work on six songs

at4050 into an apogee duet
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1k View Post
Of course the Mapping has nothing to do with the sound or style. But it has everything to do with...... mapping!!!

GM mapping just doesn't play nice with my Roland TD-20X and a 10pc kit. Without the "LEARN" option I would have to literally move my MIDI notes to match the GM map. That's nuts. I have a lot of existing MIDI tracks and it isn't practical to move the notes all over. Especially considering all of my other Drum VSTIs can LEARN and make a custom map.

Am I completely missing something here? I would love to be wrong about this, but I've been doing this stuff for quite a while.

Thanks.
It's annoying not just for MIDI drummers, as well! I have a Cubase drum map that I've worked on over the years that I use for everything. It combines the sort of articulations you get with multi-articluations for hats, as well as clap layers, sub kicks, etc. On any given project, this allows me to freely assign, say, Clap 1 to any number of drum plug ins/samplers - from Battery, to BFD to Punch to D16's stuff. And, because literally every other drum plug-in on thr market allows MIDI mapping, I have in turn set all of them up to work with the same Cubase drum map. It's a great workflow, and genuinely rules out Modo drum for me, which otherwise I would have bought in a second.

It does seem a genuinely bizarre choice *not* to have included a feature that has been 100% standard on every other plugin for at least a decade - with zero upside for doing it this way. (And it can't be a big ask, on the development side.)
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Addict

hey Jude with modo drums and bass
Attached Files

Hey Jude FINAL.mp3 (12.36 MB, 1103 views)

Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Again, mapping requests have been relayed to the developers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search