The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Newfangled Audio/Eventide Saturator
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
I keep being tempted to add more saturation or distortion curves, but then I remember this is primarily meant for clipping transients as a mastering processor. Are you thinking of different curves for that specific application, if so, what? Otherwise are you thinking about using it as a more general purpose saturator?

Thanks,
Dan
Hi Dan,

Well, different curves for saturating also busses and individual tracks like drums, bass, pianos, guitars, synth, orchestral stuff.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I’ll think about it, thanks for asking.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I’ll think about it, thanks for asking.
Thanks to you for listening.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
Hi Dan,

Well, different curves for saturating also busses and individual tracks like drums, bass, pianos, guitars, synth, orchestral stuff.
This is a great idea! Not knowing exactly what 'spectral' clipping is, I wonder if there are 'musical' saturation curves for specific sound sources that could be developed for Saturate? The more I study stem references the more I see the usual response shapes of drums, guitars, bass, etc.

Maybe Saturate already works this way on full spectrum audio.

Hmmm. Definitely following the discussion on the possibilities.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
This is a great idea! Not knowing exactly what 'spectral' clipping is, I wonder if there are 'musical' saturation curves for specific sound sources that could be developed for Saturate? The more I study stem references the more I see the usual response shapes of drums, guitars, bass, etc.

Maybe Saturate already works this way on full spectrum audio.

Hmmm. Definitely following the discussion on the possibilities.
I should clarify that I also don't know if certain saturation shapes would be better for certain instruments or busses. I don't see why they would be, but I've also never thought about it, which is why I said I'd think about it. It would be super easy to throw a bunch of curves into a plug-in and label them, "guitar", "bass", "drums", but I wouldn't want to do that. I prefer to have a really good theoretical reason for why something will be better than something else - then back that up with experience and testing.

Like I said, I've never really thought about it, so I'll leave it at that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I should clarify that I also don't know if certain saturation shapes would be better for certain instruments or busses. I don't see why they would be, but I've also never thought about it, which is why I said I'd think about it. It would be super easy to throw a bunch of curves into a plug-in and label them, "guitar", "bass", "drums", but I wouldn't want to do that. I prefer to have a really good theoretical reason for why something will be better than something else - then back that up with experience and testing.

Like I said, I've never really thought about it, so I'll leave it at that.
Venn Clip has multiple wave forms. I haven't demoed it to see what the differences are, but this might be a good example to see what people are referring to.

https://www.vennaudio.com/product/v-clip/
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Yup, different curves can have an appeal. But I would add that having a long list of curves where I only find a couple musically useful does not. That then just amounts to a time suck and workflow killer device.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Yup, different curves can have an appeal. But I would add that having a long list of curves where I only find a couple musically useful does not. That then just amounts to a time suck and workflow killer device.

Agreed , don't want a 'saturate' to become bloated and 'feature rich' just for the sake of it and also along the way creating a heavier CPU footprint.

Perhaps, create a separate plug-in for a more distortion approach , maybe even multiband !?

But keep 'saturate' clean, efficient and light on the cpu.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
3 useful and sufficiently different curves wouldn't offend me. Just not lists of shlte to wade through and make minimal difference calls about.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
3 is a magic number for most things.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
Say that again twice
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Say that again twice

(in my mind...) In the decimal system, 3 is the square root of infinite as 9 is the threshold number to all other numbers.

I'm no mathematician so I don't really care for technical descriptions of numbers. I just like to think about their relations, cosmic meanings and so on. For my own enjoyment and in my understanding of the incredible universe I am alive in.

Old 5th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
But does this curves would be implemented well in saturate spectral clipping algorithm? Because it’s already sounds different and way natural then your typical peak-shaving clipper. I don’t know how different it can react with different curve

I’m eith Sokolevski, want to keep it light and simple
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
But does this curves would be implemented well in saturate spectral clipping algorithm? Because it’s already sounds different and way natural then your typical peak-shaving clipper. I don’t know how different it can react with different curve

I’m eith Sokolevski, want to keep it light and simple
Yup me too I ve got Vclip too but I want a simpler saturator as this one.

May I ask for a resizeable UI.....sometimes its size is more than enough
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yeah, I just added resizable UI to Pendulate and Generate. The next step is to merge the two branches, which will actually be quite a bit of work. I don't know exactly what the plan is after that, but I do think resizable UI in some form will come to everything.

Edit: I should mention that I need to do the Apple Silicon port in there at some point as well. I really don't know how much work any of this will be.

Last edited by DGillespie; 7th December 2020 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Added information
Old 11th December 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Dan, thanks a lot for providing another demo period on the Elevate Bundle. I bought it today and I am very happy with this purchase:-) Good luck to you)
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thank you! I’m glad it fit into your work flow. If you need anything else just let me know!
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UY5AW View Post
Dan, thanks a lot for providing another demo period on the Elevate Bundle. I bought it today and I am very happy with this purchase:-) Good luck to you)
Great Bundle
Old 12th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jesus just set the plugin to open with the curve you Always use. The end lol
📝 Reply