The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.10 Featuring the 175B & 176 Tube Compressors
Old 20th October 2019
  #211
Lives for gear
Catalina support needs to be ready when the Mac Pro hits the road..
Old 21st October 2019
  #212
Here for the gear
 
elbingo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
Catalina support needs to be ready when the Mac Pro hits the road..
why only then? I have bought UAD hardware for a lot of money and I expect an adaptation of the software much earlier! and not only when this stupid mac pro box comes on the market!
Old 21st October 2019
  #213
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

We're working hard on Catalina support and are VERY close, stay tuned

FYI, we get the first dev builds (which are often VERY buggy and incomplete) only a few months ahead of time. And considering that our product cycles are planned/mapped much further in advance than this, it's always a challenge to incorporate it into all the branches.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 22nd October 2019
  #214
Gear Addict
 
Doc No's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
We're working hard on Catalina support and are VERY close, stay tuned

FYI, we get the first dev builds (which are often VERY buggy and incomplete) only a few months ahead of time. And considering that our product cycles are planned/mapped much further in advance than this, it's always a challenge to incorporate it into all the branches.

Thanks for your patience.
Why is RME way faster to put out world class driver even for units back to 2001?
Old 23rd October 2019
  #215
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
I just logged on to check - indeed no coupons but if you go into the plugin page you'll see 50% off pretty much everything - well it is for me! Including the new compressors and the AMS reverb someone above wanted a coupon for.
Used to be ~50 plus a small coupon.
Old 24th October 2019
  #216
Gear Addict
 
johnscalia's Avatar
UA/ Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
We're working hard on Catalina support and are VERY close, stay tuned
.
Have to tip my hat to UA staff posting here, amid heaps of scrutiny and bitterness about not having UAD ready for Catalina. I know UA isn't just sitting around playing video games. That said, I am a bit mystified by the ability of a far inferior product like MOTU to be able to hit the ground running , while UA appears to be playing catch up. I know UA will have it ready soon. We all just want and we want it now.Lol
Why can't they just give out a beta version of the (almost ready) update to a select few loyal customers to see where the bugs are...if any?
Old 24th October 2019
  #217
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscalia View Post
Have to tip my hat to UA staff posting here, amid heaps of scrutiny and bitterness about not having UAD ready for Catalina. I know UA isn't just sitting around playing video games. That said, I am a bit mystified by the ability of a far inferior product like MOTU to be able to hit the ground running , while UA appears to be playing catch up. I know UA will have it ready soon. We all just want and we want it now.Lol
Why can't they just give out a beta version of the (almost ready) update to a select few loyal customers to see where the bugs are...if any?
I've fairly recently gone from an RME UFX setup to a mix of RME ADI-2 Pro, MOTU 828es, and UAD-2 Satellite USB Octo. I'm still evalutating this setup, but so far I'm happy with it. I'm curious to know why you say that MOTU is a far inferior product?
Old 24th October 2019
  #218
Lives for gear
 
AudioGaff's Avatar
Easy for RME & MOTU as ALL they have is drivers to update. They don't multi-unit TB chain testing to do or have 100+ plugs in VST, AU & AAX to test & validate.
Old 24th October 2019
  #219
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscalia View Post
Why can't they just give out a beta version of the (almost ready) update to a select few loyal customers to see where the bugs are...if any?
UAD v9.10.2 will install on Catalina and is for users buying new machines that are FORCED to use it.

So, if you're game, clone your known working system first and give it a try.
Old 24th October 2019
  #220
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
Easy for RME & MOTU as ALL they have is drivers to update. They don't multi-unit TB chain testing to do or have 100+ plugs in VST, AU & AAX to test & validate.
bingo!!! Tell'em what he's won Johnny!!
Old 24th October 2019
  #221
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
bingo!!! Tell'em what he's won Johnny!!
???
Old 24th October 2019
  #222
Lives for gear
 
Jpga's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
bingo!!! Tell'em what he's won Johnny!!
?????
Old 24th October 2019
  #223
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

It's a joke, sorry.
Old 6th November 2019
  #224
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Take your Apple OS frustrations to Tim Apple where they belong...
Old 6th November 2019
  #225
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
The problem for Nebula was for the longest
time its installation and authorization scheme
was an absolute nightmare on Macs, and annoying
at best on Windows machines. It’s a lot better
now but still not bug-free.

I have the Acustica installer on my Mac and
can download and demo any of the products
now. I still think their GUI’s are amazing,
sound quality is ok to good. Not stunning.
Not better than UAD. For tracks that call
for the best sound quality in a plugin (such as a
lead vocal), I always turn to UAD. Less critical
supporting tracks usually get Slate.
THAT’s the problem with nebula? Lol... no flame, I just couldn’t resist!

I too tend to treat the UAD stuff sort of like outboard back in the day... the “good” stuff goes on Vox, etc... the cowbell might get a dbx 166a

But more and more there’s so many native plugs that are just as good... to me, what UAD offers is stunning emu’s of stuff that either isn’t being done in native or the native takes aren’t quite there yet... 1176 has caught up a few times over in native, but, that makes sense since one comes out every other week

It’s creepy AF to me just how close the UAD 610, 1176, LA2a... plugs sounds to the UA outboard I have and with the plugs I get multiple versions of the unit.

The 176 and 175 were both on my gear upgrade list for Q1, although I was going with Retro units. I wonder how these plugs hold up to the Retro gear sonically... anybody?
Old 6th November 2019
  #226
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
THAT’s the problem with nebula? Lol... no flame, I just couldn’t resist!

I too tend to treat the UAD stuff sort of like outboard back in the day... the “good” stuff goes on Vox, etc... the cowbell might get a dbx 166a

But more and more there’s so many native plugs that are just as good... to me, what UAD offers is stunning emu’s of stuff that either isn’t being done in native or the native takes aren’t quite there yet... 1176 has caught up a few times over in native, but, that makes sense since one comes out every other week

It’s creepy AF to me just how close the UAD 610, 1176, LA2a... plugs sounds to the UA outboard I have and with the plugs I get multiple versions of the unit.

The 176 and 175 were both on my gear upgrade list for Q1, although I was going with Retro units. I wonder how these plugs hold up to the Retro gear sonically... anybody?
I have the Retro 176. Send me a file to process, and I will compare.
Old 6th November 2019
  #227
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
The 176 and 175 were both on my gear upgrade list for Q1, although I was going with Retro units. I wonder how these plugs hold up to the Retro gear sonically... anybody?
You don´t want to miss Michael White´s review. Can co-sign when he says:
"This UAD emulation seems to be a leap forward in emulation technology from everything else that I'm hearing out there."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBJP3PwKZOM
Old 6th November 2019
  #228
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
You don´t want to miss Michael White´s review. Can co-sign when he says:
"This UAD emulation seems to be a leap forward in emulation technology from everything else that I'm hearing out there."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBJP3PwKZOM
I watched that! He seemed even more into it than normal and I think he was running demo versions lol
Old 6th November 2019
  #229
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
I have the Retro 176. Send me a file to process, and I will compare.
I will do do mañana thx!
Old 7th November 2019
  #230
Gear Addict
 
Doc No's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
Easy for RME & MOTU as ALL they have is drivers to update. They don't multi-unit TB chain testing to do or have 100+ plugs in VST, AU & AAX to test & validate.
This has nothing to do with the amount of plug ins or multi-unit-TB chains if your code is done properly from the scratch. UAD drivers and latency (3th party plug ins) are just not playing in the Champions League. While their plug ins are untouchable good, in case of drivers UA still has a lot of catching up to do.
Old 7th November 2019
  #231
Lives for gear
 
AudioGaff's Avatar
Pffft. Your clueless. It has to do with UAD being FULLY Catalina compatible not just the drivers. The current UAD drivers that work in Mojave work perfectly in Catalina. Working drivers in Catalina are not the issue. There are thou many other Catalina compatibility issues that have NOTHING to do with drivers...
Old 7th November 2019
  #232
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
This has nothing to do with the amount of plug ins or multi-unit-TB chains if your code is done properly from the scratch. UAD drivers and latency (3th party plug ins) are just not playing in the Champions League. While their plug ins are untouchable good, in case of drivers UA still has a lot of catching up to do.
You do realize that they need to test everything for compatibility right? So yes, it has a lot to do with that.
Driver optimizations are a different thing all together.
Old 7th November 2019
  #233
Gear Addict
 
Doc No's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
Pffft. Your clueless. It has to do with UAD being FULLY Catalina compatible not just the drivers. The current UAD drivers that work in Mojave work perfectly in Catalina. Working drivers in Catalina are not the issue. There are thou many other Catalina compatibility issues that have NOTHING to do with drivers...
Yes, but again. RME has zero problems including all their Total Mix software. Don' get me wrong, I'm a UAD fan boy and use their plug ins every ****ing day. And I know it is criticism at a very high level.
Old 7th November 2019
  #234
Gear Addict
 
Doc No's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
You do realize that they need to test everything for compatibility right? So yes, it has a lot to do with that.
Driver optimizations are a different thing all together.
Same goes for RME so what is your point?
Old 7th November 2019
  #235
Lives for gear
 
AudioGaff's Avatar
Ya, I hear ya. But still not the same kind comparison.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #236
Gear Addict
 
johnscalia's Avatar
Inferior

[QUOTE=LesC;14283498 I'm curious to know why you say that MOTU is a far inferior product?[/QUOTE]

Because I started out on MOTU years ago. Glitchy is a word that comes to mind as I recall my experience. I remember the "Ahhh" I felt when I finally got UA converters , via APOLLO. It was a big step in the right direction...for me. I understand that what we hear is subjective, and I respect that. That said, it is pretty undeniable that UA has engineered a whole world of A plus hardware and software. Their plugins alone, with their ability to take the DSP load off our computers, and onto their interfaces and satellites is mind blowing. If said plugins had been ****ty, that would've been horrible, but the fact is, their plugs are amazing. Sure the plugs are a bit more $ than waves or etc etc, but their plugs , to my ears, are a few steps ahead of the pack. Just my humble opinion.
I am , however, grateful for the affordability of MOTU, in my early years. Had it not been for them, I would've been unable to get into the DAW world.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #237
Gear Maniac
God, these sound good...!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #238
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemarti View Post
God, these sound good...!
Thanks alemarti!!

Yeah, I dare say they are the best software comps out there. So smooth, so forgiving (especially the 176-175 can be a bit trickier, it needs to be the right source)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #239
Lives for gear
 

Hoping there will be another chance to grab these cheap this year - During the end of the year sale? Lets hope so. I missed the 50% off offered earlier as I had to buy another UA plug back then and couldn't afford both.

Right now, with 12 days of xmas promo going on, The star offer for me is the Distressor. grabbing that next week no doubt!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #240
Lives for gear
 
Melgueil's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemarti View Post
God, these sound good...!
Yes, they do. Used the 176 on a vocal track (demoing) - insane, I was knocked out. Ive not heard another unit like it. The range of sounds is amazing, from smooth to sledgehammer, it’s all there. I had no intention of buying these. Really didn’t ..

Cdlt
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump