The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.10 Featuring the 175B & 176 Tube Compressors
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Goodbye UAD
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpga View Post
Goodbye UAD
Curious.

Why would you be so adamant about staying on an OS that came out in 2015?
Old 30th August 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Goodbye UAD
Remember, it just means it's not on our test grid any longer since it's so old.

Doesn't mean it won't work. Clone your drive and try it.
Old 30th August 2019
Quote:
Goodbye UAD
Ahhhh
Old 30th August 2019
I think UA as as good as it gets as far as keeping up with OSX upgrades.

I Demoed the 175/176....I'll wait. It's pretty good but not worth $300 to me. I have a hundred of good compressor plugs. I'll wait for a sale.

I'm still stunned how good the Capitol Chambers plug is....
The Distressor is their best compressor plug...the 1176 still holds up.
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
I'm still stunned how good the Capitol Chambers plug is....
The Distressor is their best compressor plug...the 1176 still holds up.
I think most of their plugins hold up really well, even the really old ones (with a few exceptions). I mean the EMT 140 is ancient in plugin time but it's still sounds fantastic to me.
That's one thing I like about UAD, it's emulations that will stand the test of time of gear that has stood the test of time.
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
Curious.

Why would you be so adamant about staying on an OS that came out in 2015?
I own a computer that takes me from A to B without any problems, it rolls perfectly and is a late MAC PRO 2008.
Apple does not release the latter OSX to that machine so it feels easier to put the plugs aside than to buy a new computer.

I get the feeling that it's not a musician's choice. After all, you can still put new strings on an old Fender. Just a thought and it struck me as well when Apple removed the OSX updates.

All the best,,
JP

Last edited by Jpga; 31st August 2019 at 10:05 AM..
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Just gave these two a quick spin and they are in a different league to the 1176 collection - they would have the same usage for me. The harmonic distortion, grab and thickness of tone (with openness) is way beyond most things I’ve ever heard in plugins. I deal with some vocals which are extremely uneven and hard in the mid range up to 4k - most plugins don’t cut it for ironing out these things but the 175b is extraordinary in this case. It really thickens and takes command. I want to play with them more to see what they can do but they are so easy to use and sound great on everything I’ve tried.
I can’t justify spending the dough at the mo(!) but they’ll certainly be on the shopping list.
I managed to get Tim P’s RA6 (Nebula) to grab harder and sound fatter at high gain reduction but the 175b easily beat Tim’s older Vari-level comp for adding character and weight to vocals.
Now we need all UAD comps at this level!!
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
I think most of their plugins hold up really well, even the really old ones (with a few exceptions). I mean the EMT 140 is ancient in plugin time but it's still sounds fantastic to me.
That's one thing I like about UAD, it's emulations that will stand the test of time of gear that has stood the test of time.
I still use the old 1073. I also like the 33609.

I don't like the legacy 1176 compared to the MKIIs.

I really wish they would MKII the LA3A. That particular leveller has something going on that I like ... the way it almost lowpasses near the threshold is sweet.
Old 31st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I really wish they would MKII the LA3A. That particular leveller has something going on that I like ... the way it almost lowpasses near the threshold is sweet.
Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't remodeled the LA3A yet. Quite sure it can't be that far off though. If not, they need to at least update the GUI.

I don't use the legacy 1176 much either. Mostly use the 76 for smashing things hard and that's where the MkII shows a world of difference.
The legacy LA2A gets used quite a lot here however.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

The 1176 and LA2A MKII are the best things UAD has ever made, and one of the best plugins out there, period.

In fact, they are pretty much the UADs that I use. With a duo Sharc I prefer to not use any other and rely on native alternatives. Normally I even prefer the sound of the natives options.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
The 1176 and LA2A MKII are the best things UAD has ever made, and one of the best plugins out there, period.

In fact, they are pretty much the UADs that I use. With a duo Sharc I prefer to not use any other and rely on native alternatives. Normally I even prefer the sound of the natives options.
Just running thing thru the Fairchild MKII with the headroom knob with no gain reduction is nice as well.

For my style of music, the LA2A usually 2 in series, works well on even my master buss.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear
The most difficult part about both the MKII 1176 and LA2A is choosing.

It is worth it to take time to get up some dynamic audio material and studying the response on your off time.

Otherwise you may stop in the middle of a mix in a A/B/C contest.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

I just use both, 76 into 2A = profit

I know its a cliche, but I love it (assuming the settings are dialed in)
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I just use both, 76 into 2A = profit

I know its a cliche, but I love it (assuming the settings are dialed in)
I love this combination too.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Me 3
Many times 1176 into 1176. 1st one fast attack-slow release for peaks/ leveling....2nd one slow attack fast release to set the vocal in the mix. Attacks and releases to the extremes. Sometimes La2a into 1176. Fast attack and release. Many times 4 & 8:1 Ratio's engaged.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear

Finally got to spend some time with these.

I own the original hardware of the 175B.

I have a matched set, sequential serial numbers.

The studio also has blue and silver face Pultecs and other classic gear.

I used this gear for years in a broad range of situations.
I also acquired a plethora of vintage tubes, unused, in the box that I use in the hardware.

My first impression of the software was it seemed to emulate the compression more accurately then the harmonic distortion.

Now to be fair, all classic tube gear will sound slightly different from piece to piece.

Also, the fact that I am using rare tubes that were in storage for decades makes a difference.

The 175Bs that UAD emulated were newer then mine also.

My first impression was the compression was there, but not as much the harmonic distortion.

This is likely also true for the hardware used in both cases and the differences in tubes used.

After more use of the software I believe UAD did a good job, this is as close you can get to the hardware (without the hardware).

Tube gear and software are not the same.
Classic tube gear breathes, fluctuates and is alive.
Software is not yet up to the level of hardware in terms of the fluctuation.

With that said, good plugins.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Custom bundles are up for four days.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Just running thing thru the Fairchild MKII with the headroom knob with no gain reduction is nice as well.

Yep, I love the 670MkII and often use it in the way you describe - the EQP-1A too - just slap it on a track, group track and/or mixbus - lovely saturation for every occasion - with no effort! 9 times out of 10 when I chuck the EQP-1A on it stays on - the 670 has more flavour and is too much sometimes but knocks it out the park when it does work.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Check your UA acct for a $50 coupon.
I didn't get one and I do want that AMS Reverb please.

PM for account?
Old 18th October 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by votive View Post

PM for account?
Open a ticket with CS.

https://u.audio/support
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Open a ticket with CS.

Done. Thanks.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

PM for account?
The coupon was only valid for August.
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Open a ticket with CS.

Their overwhelming reply aka canned/press button A response:

Daniel (Universal Audio)

Oct 18, 4:38 PM PDT

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out.

At this time we are unable to provide coupons by request and we are not authorized to issue them outside of the normal promotional time periods. I am sorry for any frustration regarding this at all but I do hope this helps calrify(sic). Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance at all and we will do our best to help in any way we can!
Best Regards,

Daniel
Customer Support
Universal Audio

Old 19th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Their overwhelming reply aka canned/press button A response:

Daniel (Universal Audio)

Oct 18, 4:38 PM PDT

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out.

At this time we are unable to provide coupons by request and we are not authorized to issue them outside of the normal promotional time periods. I am sorry for any frustration regarding this at all but I do hope this helps calrify(sic). Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance at all and we will do our best to help in any way we can!
Best Regards,

Daniel
Customer Support
Universal Audio

What did you expect?
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Maniac
I would expect that I am treated the same as the customer next to me.
But while other customers seem to get coupons when they buy something I never ever got one and then they want me to fall on my knees and beg at the cs for something the others get for nothing ?
Not me. I am done with that shady company who feeds their fanbois and treat the others like ****.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

If you have any coupons, now would be a great time to go for the new 175/176 comps

50% off retail until the end of the month
Old 19th October 2019
Manufacturer

We recently switched from coupons to the Custom Shop offerings for new users.
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak View Post
But while other customers seem to get coupons when they buy something I never ever got one and then they want me to fall on my knees and beg at the cs for something the others get for nothing ?
Not me. I am done with that shady company who feeds their fanbois and treat the others like ****.
Huh? It is most likely a technical error if that is the case.
I have never felt that they have treated customers differently in that regard.
I have gotten one or two coupons as a compensation when it has been a reasonable thing to ask for. All the other times it has been the same as for every other customer. Either a monthly coupon or something I've gotten after a purchase as an incentive to buy more. The latter is not something they always give you, it is tied to specific sales. If you didn't get one then it's a technical error, not a case of being a less important person.
Of course CS representatives are different people and as such will do their job a bit differently. So it's not surprising that some people get different responses than others. And of course the way you formulate yourself will trigger a different response.

In this specific case I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to re-issue a coupon that expired almost two months ago. If s/he really didn't get one in august (which I highly doubt was the case) and had contacted CS right away it would be reasonable to expect that they would sort it out.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak View Post
I just logged on to check - indeed no coupons but if you go into the plugin page you'll see 50% off pretty much everything - well it is for me! Including the new compressors and the AMS reverb someone above wanted a coupon for.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.10 Featuring the 175B & 176 Tube Compressors-discount.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search