The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.10 Featuring the 175B & 176 Tube Compressors
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

The king is dead. Long live the kings.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
UAD | UA 175B & 176 Tube Compressor Collection

UAD | UA 175B & 176 Tube Compressor Collection
Great update!!! Thanks UA!
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
I use a 175b all of the time on a mono room mic for drums. I can’t wait to give the plugin a go. From what I know of the 175, it’s super dirty and endless vibe!! Very excited!
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
I use a 175b all of the time on a mono room mic for drums. I can’t wait to give the plugin a go. From what I know of the 175, it’s super dirty and endless vibe!! Very excited!
Yea, I use mine for drums and bass mostly.
I have 2 so I use them as a stereo set and drum buss.

Endless vibe is a great way to describe the sound.
I haven't yet heard a plugin pull that off in the same way.

But, I haven't yet had time to test this new release.

I really hope it can get close.
Old 7th August 2019
The Capitol Chambers......Now this...

UA is still the king.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

And it's just $99 with the new Heritage bundle. Very nice!
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys, I need advice from some experts. If I dont own any compressor bundle, would it make sense to start and learn to use compressors with these this new UA bundle? I can see the point that you guys already own many compressors, but in my case I am looking for a set of compressors that I can study and use. I don’t want to have a rich set of VST compressors.

Thanks for your help!
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabolous View Post
Hey guys, I need advice from some experts. If I dont own any compressor bundle, would it make sense to start and learn to use compressors with these this new UA bundle? I can see the point that you guys already own many compressors, but in my case I am looking for a set of compressors that I can study and use. I don’t want to have a rich set of VST compressors.

Thanks for your help!
Why not? But I advise you to use the LA 2A or 1176 So this one. They are not that much complicated crank up and lower the output adjust the attack and release for test. If you are learning start from those. This Compressor specifically is more of a character. It can add dimension to bass guitar. I use mainly tube compressors for a bass to cut in the mix without eating up stereo field.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
The Capitol Chambers......Now this...

UA is still the king.
After the El RAY, it was just a matter of time when UA will step up the ITB game again. UA didn´t disappoint. Can´t wait to see what V10 will be about.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Head

Just tested them and they are excellent sounding!

Only one criticism - The GUIs are HORRIBLE!

They look like some 2003 legacy product: very cluttered, barely legible and very 'plastic-looking', as if the GUIs were rendered on Microsoft Paint.

Compared to the UA LA2A, or 1176 Mk2 - it's as if no effort was made to make these new compressors look "professional"....

(Please see the attached images for yourself).

Why such a drop in your usually excellent visual standards??

They do sound great though!
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.10 Featuring the 175B & 176 Tube Compressors-1176.jpg   Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.10 Featuring the 175B & 176 Tube Compressors-la2a.jpg   Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.10 Featuring the 175B & 176 Tube Compressors-ua175b.jpg   Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.10 Featuring the 175B & 176 Tube Compressors-ua176.jpg  
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Nut

Nice. Always good stuff. Gonna try them out. Don't know the original units except by name.

But my favorite update would be an updated LA-3A. I feel that that's what I'm waiting for really from UAD. Anyone else feel that way?
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frellin' Smesh View Post

They look like some 2003 legacy product: very cluttered, barely legible and very 'plastic-looking', as if the GUIs were rendered on Microsoft Paint.

Compared to the UA LA2A, or 1176 Mk2 - it's as if no effort was made to make these new compressors look "professional"....

Totally agree. Those GUIs are really bad compared to their recent standards.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

299,-€ ????
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.10 Featuring the 175B & 176 Tube Compressors-65271895_2295363027397857_3438816276221263872_n.jpg  
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Where are all those die-hard fanboys of MJUC we saw a couple of years ago? Any comparisons yet?

I have to agree 100% on what others said about the GUI! Very old school in a bad way! Very 2003 :(

Sex sells, right? Make it sexy baby
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac
When I hear the word fanboy I think more of all the UAD defenders....not Klanghelm
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frellin' Smesh View Post

They look like some 2003 legacy product: very cluttered, barely legible and very 'plastic-looking', as if the GUIs were rendered on Microsoft Paint

I do agree that they should be bigger to be less cluttered. But to be honest, I don’t think they look dated or plastic. In fact they actually look like that in real life. They have a very different vibe than a 1176. The knobs are rounded with a flat appearance and the paint looks faded.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
But to be honest, I don’t think they look dated or plastic. In fact they actually look like that in real life.
It's not a lack of "shine" or anything like that, I think people are implying that they look like cartoons, sort of like IK Multimedia T Racks stuff - on a Retina display here they certainly look that way to me, very cartoonish. I wonder if this release was rushed in some way and maybe that's the reason why the GUIs are not up to the usual standard.
Old 7th August 2019
This got an audible “ooooh shiiiiit” out of me
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Channel DSP Pairing for bigger plug-in chains on Console inputs
+12dB fader gain for extending mixing range on Console inputs
Is there still this issue with a five Db (or so) boost when the mono button is engaged on Apollo 8p?
Old 7th August 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeUppsala View Post
Is there still this issue with a five Db (or so) boost when the mono button is engaged on Apollo 8p?
Sorry, that has not been addressed yet.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

Agreed, please fix this!

Quote:
Sorry, that has not been addressed yet.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
It's not a lack of "shine" or anything like that, I think people are implying that they look like cartoons, sort of like IK Multimedia T Racks stuff - on a Retina display here they certainly look that way to me, very cartoonish.
That's the style they have been going with for years now. The kind of realistic drawing you would see in an old ad. This one is a bit more lit up and clean than they usually are though. Not their best work, but consistent in style compared to the other plugins.
I personally like this style better than the photorealistic 3D renderings that most plugin companies go for. But to each their own.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Nut

I have tested the two compressors in a project and they sound good, very "creamy". But perhaps too much of that because I´m really struggling to make the vocal to stand out in the mix.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
It's not a lack of "shine" or anything like that, I think people are implying that they look like cartoons, sort of like IK Multimedia T Racks stuff - on a Retina display here they certainly look that way to me, very cartoonish. I wonder if this release was rushed in some way and maybe that's the reason why the GUIs are not up to the usual standard.
Fair enough.

I actually prefer the timeless look of the flat, simplistic GUI. Similar to Valhalla. Love it. I know I’m the minority on this and UAD will never switch over from the photo-realistic look.
Old 7th August 2019
Manufacturer

Hi all,
Product Manager Will Shanks is around for anyone looking for a deep dive into the UA 175B or 176.

https://uadforum.com/special-event-u...ole-improveme/
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Ok awesome, now that we've gotten this out of the way, can we focus on some tools that aren't the same tube compressor, tube eq etc etc. Something a little more forward thinking? Look at some of the tools that Fab Filter or Izotope release or even native daw plugins like the ones in Ableton and FL Studio and focus some attention on things like this? There is no need for another tube emulation or a vintage blah blah please, we have enough
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Ok awesome, now that we've gotten this out of the way, can we focus on some tools that aren't the same tube compressor, tube eq etc etc. Something a little more forward thinking? Look at some of the tools that Fab Filter or Izotope release or even native daw plugins like the ones in Ableton and FL Studio and focus some attention on things like this? There is no need for another tube emulation or a vintage blah blah please, we have enough
Um... speak for yourself.

There's plenty of vintage emulations to make, and UAD are the kings at this. Actually, it's specifically what they do. If you're looking for bleeding edge new "effects" that have never existed in the hardware world, UAD isn't really going to be that for you. Stick with Fabfilter and Sonnox etc for that kind of stuff.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
Um... speak for yourself.

There's plenty of vintage emulations to make, and UAD are the kings at this. Actually, it's specifically what they do. If you're looking for bleeding edge new "effects" that have never existed in the hardware world, UAD isn't really going to be that for you. Stick with Fabfilter and Sonnox etc for that kind of stuff.
I agree. There's obviously still a good market for these vintage emulations and no one does them better. They are still very relevant to recording/mixing today.

Plenty of really good modern stuff being done by other talented developers.
I'm happy to use those on my machine CPU and let the UAD DSP do the vintage stuff.
Old 7th August 2019
Manufacturer

Companies have MOs. Ours comes from the fact that the owner Bill Putnam Jr's Dad designed and built much of this stuff, so it's his legacy.

Imagine seeing your Father's picture on the front page of the website of the company you built back up in his honor? Heavy stuff IMO.

I say he gets to build what he wants!
Old 7th August 2019
I'm compressed out. Especially old compressors. I have a hundred at this point. They all compress.. I'm into new tools with new features.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search