All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
lkjb releases QRange
Old 4th August 2019
Here for the gear

Software lkjb releases QRange

Good news everyone!

QRange, a linear phase IIR EQ, has just been released. It features:
- 12 bands (sortable by frequency).
- Each band can be used as peak, shelf and cut filter.
- Cut filters are available with 12, 24 and 48 dB/oct steepness.
- Stereo/Left/Right/Mid/Side routing per band.
- Global gain for loudness adjustments.
- Resizable user interface.

The plugin for Win/Mac VST2/VST3 and AU can be downloaded on kvr. A bit further information is also avaiable on the QRange page.

While the plugin seems generally stable, there might still be some hidden bugs. Please consider it as an open beta for a month or two. This of course also means that any feedback and suggestions are welcome.
Old 5th August 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks IKJB , great sounding free plugin!
It's great that you can select the style for each band, works fast!

Some ideas that could make it even better:
a non linear phase zero latency mode (if possibe)
A changing q by ctrl dragging for even faster working

Keep up the good work!
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

tried it today and have to thank the dev for such a great free EQ. never really use LP equalizers even if I own several but have a crush on this one tbh. the smoothness in the upper mids/highs is lovely. the features (save as default, gain range etc) are excellent. keeper!

one thing: adjusting the q sometimes makes it jump to the tightest value. no biggie but worth mentioning
Old 6th August 2019
Surprisingly great UI. Very convenient to use.

Since the default Q creates Linkwitz-Riley filters, high cuts and low cuts can be used to split up a signal and recombine with no humps or dips at the cuts. Could be handy.
Old 10th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpen View Post
Some ideas that could make it even better:
a non linear phase zero latency mode (if possibe)
A changing q by ctrl dragging for even faster working
I don't have current plans for a non-LP mode. Not a "no" but at least nothing for the near future.
What do you mean by ctrl-dragging for changing q? By holding "shift" you can already fine-tune parameters if that's what you meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
one thing: adjusting the q sometimes makes it jump to the tightest value. no biggie but worth mentioning
How do you change Q, e.g. using mouse wheel inside the graph, dragging the band's control or entering a number? Which DAW and OS are you using?

If anyone's interested, I wrote a bit about IIR-based linear phase EQs here.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjb View Post
I don't have current plans for a non-LP mode. Not a "no" but at least nothing for the near future.
What do you mean by ctrl-dragging for changing q? By holding "shift" you can already fine-tune parameters if that's what you meant.

How do you change Q, e.g. using mouse wheel inside the graph, dragging the band's control or entering a number? Which DAW and OS are you using?

It happens when I click drag the numeric field of the Q factor (unless I do it suuuuper careful/slow it instantly jumps to 18.00)

OSX Ableton Live
Old 10th August 2019
Quote:
Nice article. I was going to ask if you'd add 6db cuts, but now I see you can't.

The "no pre-ringing" joke I wonder how this compares to the recent $1k plugin... lol
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Klimek View Post
Nice article. I was going to ask if you'd add 6db cuts, but now I see you can't.

The "no pre-ringing" joke I wonder how this compares to the recent $1k plugin... lol
Compares to maat's thEQorange and forthcoming thEQred?) if free QRange by lkjb works fine, no need to buy overhyped old-coded plugins with price of hardware and protection sh+t. If something costs 10-50 times, it doesn't mean it is 10-50 better, maybe it is not better.... If not worse. Who of earbuds/phone-listening mp3 fans (usual listeners) cares about phase and transient smearing, dithering, src...
Old 11th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

Ok thanks for the reply.

My suggestion/ question was more like , when you grab the frequency with your mouse and move it up or down the gain goes up and down. You can use the scollwheel for narowwing or widen the q, but is it also possible to implement the use of ctrl for that function? So when you hit ctrl the gain freezes and the q gets adjusted when you drag you mouse up and down?

I have an old school Microsoft mouse, so with an ergonomic mouse it propably would be better… but my fingers feel a little bit cramped of using the left button and the wheel at the same time.

Anyway again, great plugin, thanks for all your efforts!
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

could somebody make a comparison between QRange and thEQorange? This will decide once and for all if the last one stands to its $999?
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

interesting free plug, going to have a try...
Old 7th September 2019
Here for the gear

I just released an update with some UI changes, match gain and band solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpen View Post
My suggestion/ question was more like , when you grab the frequency with your mouse and move it up or down the gain goes up and down. You can use the scollwheel for narowwing or widen the q, but is it also possible to implement the use of ctrl for that function? So when you hit ctrl the gain freezes and the q gets adjusted when you drag you mouse up and down?
I missed this suggestion but will try to add it in a future update.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear

thanks for the update. will try ASAP!

the GUI is very functional too
Attached Thumbnails
lkjb releases QRange-e66b566a-7ae2-4021-90fd-56aa27a90daf.png  
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Addict

For what it's worth, I prefer the free ikjb Luftikus EQ to the official one, so I bet this one also compares favorably to other emulations too.

Thanks.

Btw, I can't seem to find any download links for any plugin. Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited by PitchSlap; 8th September 2019 at 07:45 AM..
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear

A minor update whichs adds presets, shows whether a gain match is possible and allows changing Q-factor by ctrl-dragging a handle is now available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Btw, I can't seem to find any download links for any plugin. Anyone else having this problem?
The download is available via kvr audio where I host all my plugins.
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear

Excellent!!
Thanks a lot for the implementation!
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Pretty cool. I don't think I've ever heard an IIR based linear phase eq before. I've been looking at/listening to samples of the Maat one and it does seem like this is in the same family. Crazy times we live in.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
A minor update whichs adds presets, shows whether a gain match is possible and allows changing Q-factor by ctrl-dragging a handle is now available.

The download is available via kvr audio where I host all my plugins.
Thank you!
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head

I have to thank the developer.
This is really great Used it to crossover a bass Di mult to create a bass-body channel and a separare mids-grit Channel with different slopes . worked like a charm and the summed output sounded great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Wouaou man, this EQ is outstanting . The only problem is the CPU Load and Latency. BUT, what a sound
Push the 12Khz at 12db and the drum is shining like no other EQ could do.

And it's Free

Even if it wasn't, is anybody know which other EQ can give that sound ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted brenn View Post
The only problem is the CPU Load and Latency.
I just release version 1.1.0 which includes a latency free but non-linear phase mode which is also lighter on the CPU. Downloads are available via kvr product page as usual.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Pretty cool. I don't think I've ever heard an IIR based linear phase eq before. I've been looking at/listening to samples of the Maat one and it does seem like this is in the same family. Crazy times we live in.
Isn’t Crave EQ IIR based? That has a linear phase mode.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just release version 1.1.0 which includes a latency free but non-linear phase mode which is also lighter on the CPU. Downloads are available via kvr product page as usual.
Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Cool, I just give a try, and the sound is very closed to the Long Latency.

It's an amazing EQ

How did you do that and why do you propose it for free ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted brenn View Post
Cool, I just give a try, and the sound is very closed to the Long Latency.

It's an amazing EQ

How did you do that and why do you propose it for free ?
As the EQ simply processes a block of samples by a normal EQ forwards and backwards the changes to implement the normal EQ behavior were quite simple as I only needed to add another stage with the same settings. That's also the reason that the sonnical difference is rather subtle as the only difference (as long as the EQ parameters stay in a certain range) is the phase response which humans won't hear directly. I hope the explanation is not too technical.

Plugin programming is a hobby for me. Taking money would not only put some pressure on me to solve issues quickly (I think I'm not doing that badly here but still at my pace) and at some point would involve filling out tax forms which certainly is not one of my hobbies.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Brief testing on my home computer:

- CPU doesn't change, no matter what latency I select.
- Saving default settings doesn't remember latency and band type (I selected a high shelf and it went back to bell).

Just so you know
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Brief testing on my home computer:

- CPU doesn't change, no matter what latency I select.
- Saving default settings doesn't remember latency and band type (I selected a high shelf and it went back to bell).
The CPU usage shouldn't change too much with latency unless the non linear phase mode is chosen (which should be more CPU friendly). You probably didn't see a difference because the analyser was enabled which is rather CPU intensive (band based instead of FFT).

I also noticed the band types and latency setting not being restored correctly for defaults and release an update (1.1.1) about half an hour ago. The update also includes an option to not process the analyser while the user interface is closed which should help a bit CPU-usage wise.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi!, thanks for this.

It's working pretty buggy in Cubase Pro 10 @ Windows 10.

Would love having narrower Qs, which i would choose for a transparent EQ

Thank you,
Daniel.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
It's working pretty buggy in Cubase Pro 10 @ Windows 10.
Please do elaborate.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Please do elaborate.
Hi!, just changing to minimum phase freezes Cubase, or bypassing the plugin mutes the audio for that channel.

Daniel.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search