The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid announces S1 and S4 control surfaces
Old 31st July 2019
Anyone know the S1 price?
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
According to a couple vids I saw, you can technically use any size, including iPhones.
You can't use the current Control app with phones. It is walled off through Apple's options for the store (to make it iPad only.) I doubt that will change unless you've seen it running on a phone.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
You can't use the current Control app with phones. It is walled off through Apple's options for the store (to make it iPad only.) I doubt that will change unless you've seen it running on a phone.
They have said that the new version will be iphone, as well as android, compatible. Iphone would be limited to 4 channels of metering.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
Anyone know the S1 price?
$1200 usd.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
You can't use the current Control app with phones.
That is true about the current app but (supposedly) not the future app.
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
$1200 usd.
Hello! What's your source for this?
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Octopus View Post
Hello! What's your source for this?
The price was mentioned by Avid in one of the press releases.

I cant find it with a quick google.

i am positive though. I lifted the # from an official source.

I am sure if you dig you could find it.

Old 4 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

Last edited by The Press Desk; 4 weeks ago at 07:19 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
S1 is $1295 (excluding the tablet)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That’s quite steep.
I know there are people who will pay it and think it’s worth it.
I just can’t help but think you can get a 32” touch screen for that kind of money and have direct control to all of it.

Hardware control is relatively expensive and I think people should really consider whether they actually need or want it.
Not everyone’s fine with a touch screen, obviously, but my gut feeling is that more would be than they think.
The bang for buck ratio is so much better IMO.
If you do want to invest the money into this, though. I’m sure it’s nice and you will find it useful.
There’s a price of admittance associated with hardware controllers. Everyone has to decide whether it’s for them or not.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just want the physical faders. The rest is available in other ways for free (i.e. the Control app). So, yeah, I agree that $1300 is steep.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I really wanted to buy an S1, but at $1295 USD.... Plus ~$700 for a used pro tools dock, and then 2x $300 for two used iPads, that totals up to $2600 for *mostly* used hardware.
I think I'm going to buy a used 8 fader D-Command instead... the dedicated EQ/Dynamics section is worth it alone.

For some reason, the Console 1 + Console 1 Fader kit for $1248 looks especially interesting now...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I just want the physical faders. The rest is available in other ways for free (i.e. the Control app). So, yeah, I agree that $1300 is steep.
Agreed. And it isn't just that I don't want the tablet, I don't want the whole tablet support plate and retainers (let alone any costs coming from the tablet support).

It looks a bit silly without a tablet. (And a tablet would get in the way of my screen visibility as my screens are set low to be out of the path of my monitors).

The alternative would be an Artist series controller but I would like to have these new faders in a tight compact box without any tablet shenanigans (and involved costs).

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is essentially an updated Artist series product (a combo of the Mix and Control) with an iPad for the screen.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is essentially an updated Artist series product (a combo of the Mix and Control) with an iPad for the screen.
Indeed but I assume this has the same faders as on the S3 which I much prefer over the faders of the Artist series. Basically, I'm interested in a fader upgrade from my Artist series... but without any tablet fluff.

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Indeed but I assume this has the same faders as on the S3 which I much prefer over the faders of the Artist series. Basically, I'm interested in a fader upgrade from my Artist series... but without any tablet fluff.

Alistair
I'm in the same boat. I have a few Artist units but the faders are chintzy. Lots of cheaper and more expensive options, but this mid-ground (where a LOT of people seem to operate) has few pro options.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I for one just want avid to build me a meter bridge iPad holder for my s3. I rely a lot on meter bridges in other studios and have greatly missed it since i bought an s3. Come on avid make this happen.

I don't want to lose a whole row of knobs for it either by downgrading to the s1.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That doesn’t seem like an unreasonable thing to request or expect.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

This is just a quick PSA that ye olde Command 8s still work great in the latest versions of Protools.

If you're only after 8 faders it is still a great option after all these years...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer v2 View Post
This is just a quick PSA that ye olde Command 8s still work great in the latest versions of Protools.

If you're only after 8 faders it is still a great option after all these years...
Glad to hear that. The Command 8 is more of a control room-in-a-box with the bulkiness to go with it. That's cool if you have the room for it, but I'm only hoping for Artist Series-sized controllers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search