The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sweetsonics releases LASER - "Precise Sidechainer" Audio Plugin
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Head

Sweetsonics releases LASER - "Precise Sidechainer" Audio Plugin

Sweetsonics releases LASER - “Precise Sidechainer” Audio Plugin

We are a brand new plugin company from Helsinki, Finland, and happy to release our first plugin LASER. Laser is a unique sidechainer tool with bit different approach. It’s the first sidechainer that can listen to the incoming sidechain signal and draw the opposite reduction envelope on that. With all the special features included, we think it provides the most transparent and powerful sidechaining you can get. It works perfectly with kick & bass, but also in many other scenarios. It also has boost! Check out the videos how to preserve headroom perfectly, mix a fatter snare drum and create groovy synth pad.

• Automatic Laser algorithm
• High quality filter design with dynamic phase
• Three individual bands
• Precise time focused controls for sidechain ducking or boosting
• Offset with dynamic latency
• Two signal detection modes for different applications
• Stereo, mid and side processing modes
• Quick controls for creating sidechaining musically
• Option to use without sidechain routing

Available for Mac & Win (64-bit AU, VST3, AAX) with 21-days free trial.
No dongle needed.

Launch sale 59e (norm. price 79e)

https://sweetsonics.com
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Head

Awesome plug-in!
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Addict

Alright you got me... I'm curious. This is not the first plugin on the market to use a sidechain to apply an inverse envelope to a signal but I understand that a small company developing their first product doesn't have time to do market research on every plugin ever made. This is probably the easiest to use implementation so far though. At least as far as applying the exact envelope goes. Anyway, this looks great and I will definitely be trying it out.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Head

Thanks for the comments and great feedback! Yeah absolutely, there are great sidechainers out there! But please demo this plugin and see if it works for your workflow. We have lots of happy users already here in Finland!
Old 12th July 2019
Here for the gear

I tried it. It’s fantastic! I haven’t seen anything like it. Good work. Bought it.
Old 12th July 2019
Ya this looks really nice, will demo. Currently I use Expurgate in "Ducker" mode for this type of job, which works and sounds better than LFO Tool or any of the LFO Tool like plugins I've tried. Pretty happy with Expurgate actually.

BUT, this does bring something new to the table. That "Offset" knob. I've been wondering why none of these plugins have that exact feature, sucks having to manually duplicate and time shift a sidechain track to accomplish the same thing, should just be a damn knob. Someone finally got it right. Good for you Sweetsonics!!!

EDITED:

Just realized LFO Tool actually has offset too haha! Somehow I missed that when I demo'd LFO Tool originally. Anyway, good for including an offset knob too Sweetsonics! Haha.

EDITED AGAIN:

Just re-downloaded LFO Tool and remembered why I don't use it. In LFO Tool, the offset is only engaged when you are synced to the host BPM for ducking that is applied rhythmically, in other words not via sidechain. It's basically there to be manual latency compensation when other plugins have introduced latency that throws off the host's timing.

BUT, when you want to apply ducking via sidechain in LFO Tool, a) you can only sidechain via incoming MIDI, not audio, and b) when you do enable "MIDI Retrig" mode in LFO Tool, the offset is effectively disabled.

SO, my first statement was correct, Sweetsonics are the only ones that have gotten offset right.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Head

Awesome! Thanks! We wanted to keep this simple, but still include all the crucial controls to create powerful and musical sidechaining. You shouldn’t need to spend that much time to set the right sidechaining settings with Laser.

And you’re correct. We haven’t found latency compensated offset in any sc plugin yet. There are lots of sidechainers with tempo synced stuff, but we wanted to create this from another perspective.
Old 12th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejem View Post
And you’re correct. We haven’t found latency compensated offset in any sc plugin yet. There are lots of sidechainers with tempo synced stuff, but we wanted to create this from another perspective.
Thank you! So glad someone finally got this right. You guys did a fcking great job with this plugin.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbout View Post
Thank you! So glad someone finally got this right. You guys did a fcking great job with this plugin.
Thanks so much!! And we still have few little details/functions we might implement in the upcoming updates.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Nut

Awesome sauce!

Just tried the demo. Laser beat out all my other side chain methods! Great work guys. Definitely a purchase.

Sounded less obvious than even DMG Multiplicity set to external sidechain with a band crossover targeting the lows. Laser is much easier to dial in as well.

Maybe for the future it would be cool to have a release option toggle for beats as well as milliseconds.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Nut

An option to choose mid or side processing per band would open up some creative possibilities as well.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantmix304 View Post
An option to choose mid or side processing per band would open up some creative possibilities as well.
Thanks a lot!! These are great ideas for the upcoming updates. We will take a loot at these asap.
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Nut

Laser is not remembering my settings when I re-open the projects it was used in. It's reverting back to Stereo processing instead of mid only. It's also re-linking the bands, which I had unlinked. I'm on Windows 10, Ableton Live 10.1.

Really hope you guys can sort out the bugs because this is the best sidechainer around. Going to be a real hassle always checking to make sure the settings are correct though.
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Laser is not remembering my settings when I re-open the projects it was used in. It's reverting back to Stereo processing instead of mid only. It's also re-linking the bands, which I had unlinked. I'm on Windows 10, Ableton Live 10.1.

Really hope you guys can sort out the bugs because this is the best sidechainer around. Going to be a real hassle always checking to make sure the settings are correct though.
Thanks for the info! That shouldn’t happen. BTW if something comes up, please let us know [email protected]

We’ll fix that as soon as possible!
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the info! That shouldn’t happen. BTW if something comes up, please let us know [email protected]

We’ll fix that as soon as possible!
Thanks Steve. My kick is absolutely thunderous in this new song thanks to Laser. Really topnotch stuff.

One other thing, the detection info is not getting stored on file reopen either. I had it switched to Tranisent but it reverts to continuous.

It would be great to have exact frequency values visible for the band crossovers too.

Don't let my notes discourage anyone from buying this beast though. It's seriously the best sidechaining tool. Can't believe how good my kick sounds in this last mixdown I did.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Great plugin! Bought.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Lovin' Duck that i bought a week ago, Laser provides different excellent results, will buy next week.
When does the intro offer ends Helsinki guys..?
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks Steve. My kick is absolutely thunderous in this new song thanks to Laser. Really topnotch stuff.

One other thing, the detection info is not getting stored on file reopen either. I had it switched to Tranisent but it reverts to continuous.

It would be great to have exact frequency values visible for the band crossovers too.

Don't let my notes discourage anyone from buying this beast though. It's seriously the best sidechaining tool. Can't believe how good my kick sounds in this last mixdown I did.
Thanks!! Awesome!

And about that little bug. We've found the reason and it's only Ableton related thing. We'll fix that in few days. I can inform when the new installer is available.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Lovin' Duck that i bought a week ago, Laser provides different excellent results, will buy next week.
When does the intro offer ends Helsinki guys..?
Thanks!!

Intro offer will be about two weeks.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Steve - it would be great to have zoom for the wave display. When working at lower levels you can't see it at all.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Steve - it would be great to have zoom for the wave display. When working at lower levels you can't see it at all.
Actually we tried this at some point, but then it made user experience bit confusing sometimes. And overall it's probably good to keep your gain staging in proper levels, because if you can't see it, then the gain is really low.

Anyway we're open to all requests and I'll add this to the list! Thanks!
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually we tried this at some point, but then it made user experience bit confusing sometimes. And overall it's probably good to keep your gain staging in proper levels, because if you can't see it, then the gain is really low.

Anyway we're open to all requests and I'll add this to the list! Thanks!
The bassline was peaking at -18dBFS. Looks like a straight line on the UI!
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The bassline was peaking at -18dBFS. Looks like a straight line on the UI!
Okey! You are probably ducking bass with kick signal, right? Just to make sure, Laser doesn’t show the bassline waveform in waveform window when you enable sidechain. We are not actually that interested in bassline waveform in most cases.

Laser will show you the kick signal, and off course the bass reduction envelope. That’s how you can easily tweak the right sc settings to make bass ducking to follow the kick drum signal. That’s one detail in Laser we wanted to make differently when compared to other sidechainer plugins. Hopefully this helps!
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Addict

Now THIS looks interesting. I typically use Cableguys Volumeshaper for this, but Laser looks to be a hell of a lot easier and faster. Going to demo tonight. Rad idea guys!
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

This might be useful to tame hihat in the snare mic - i always record a decently isolated hihat signal (ribbon mic underneath hihat, the null facing the snare) to use as a sidechain weapon against the evils of bashed hihat.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
This might be useful to tame hihat in the snare mic - i always record a decently isolated hihat signal (ribbon mic underneath hihat, the null facing the snare) to use as a sidechain weapon against the evils of bashed hihat.
A really cool idea!!!
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
Now THIS looks interesting. I typically use Cableguys Volumeshaper for this, but Laser looks to be a hell of a lot easier and faster. Going to demo tonight. Rad idea guys!
I use Volumeshaper as well, but to my ears Laser sounds a lot better, particularly when only ducking the lower frequencies. Might be a difference in the quality of the crossover filters.

Still like Cableguys for pan modulation and other things though.
Old 17th July 2019
Very cool plugin. Congrats!
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Head

Thanks for amazing feedback so far!

I'm also happy to inform that we have released a new version (1.0.5) of Laser that fixes the annoying Ableton bug. The download link is on our website @ Sweetsonics.com.

Thanks for your support!! You guys are super!
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sweetsonics releases LASER - “Precise Sidechainer” Audio Plugin

We are a brand new plugin company from Helsinki, Finland, and happy to release our first plugin LASER. Laser is a unique sidechainer tool with bit different approach. It’s the first sidechainer that can listen to the incoming sidechain signal and draw the opposite reduction envelope on that.

https://sweetsonics.com

Very interesting concept.
Nice production tool.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search