The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica announces Coral2: 6-plugin suite including one FREE processor
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
In fact, you should keep coral1 if you have used it in a project and you want to open it again sometime.
Yeah denork, I know but as the projects I used it in the past are already released albums, I don't mind to keep it. I just wonder if it could cause any kind of conflict with the newer version.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Yeah denork, I know but as the projects I used it in the past are already released albums, I don't mind to keep it. I just wonder if it could cause any kind of conflict with the newer version.
Then no, you can eliminate without problem. The versions are completely different plugins.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynet View Post
Thanks for the free Baxter EQ.... But, not only is it not good at all, it's flaws in this one as well!

1. There's a preamp kind of signal added by default (with pre off). Seems unintentionally.

2. When I phased out that signal and listened to the pre signal it was just laughable
(as many of your other pre's but this one might take the price).
So low and insignificant pre signal is added that it's just pathetic when you think of the cpu and latency trade of for AA plugins.
That's not all, if you you then add the hi-shelf signal at 18k it actually phase out the pre signal almost completely
It appears that the pre signal is phase inverted and actually subtract signal completely instead of adding.
Isn't it the highest priority here, having things in correct phase???
How many big flaws can you have in a product?
You better hire ONE engineer that actually knows what he's doing then by having random beta testers that seem to miss this simple stuff!

3. The benefits of the low-shelf (boost) is barely noticeable when comparing to a regular vst digital eq. Again, the AA vs regular eq trade off is too minimal.

So WHY should I use this thing? Why release something that's not in the same league as some of your other plugins that actually do something to the sound!

You make me feel fooled with this kind of product. You have done better. Keep doing that and skip the mediocre stuff.

I feel disappointed because I have higher expectations of you guys!

Anyways, good luck with fixing the errors!
Don't know about that, but I just finished a song and compared the PA version of the BAX EQ (that I recently bought) with this Baxter MS (not the free one). And I end up with Baxter, with the Pre on.

They are pretty similar, but the AA one was a little bit better.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Could very well be my favorite Acqua so far... the space and dimension Coral2 imparts is impressive. Fantastic pres, wonderful EQ, the elliptical caught me off guard at how useful it is and Baxter is special. I still need to really demo the compressors but early impressions are solid so far.

Coral2 might replace Azure and Magenta for me. Thank you AA!
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Also -- knobs are GREAT, much better selecting frequencies here than in Azure. Much cleaner.

And -- that black skin looks mighty fine!
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Some quick thoughts on Coral2 -- it sounds to me that it sits, very broadly, in the same camp as Ivory, Scarlet, Azure, Green, possibly Magenta.

Coral2 sounds like it has punchier/fuller subs than Ivory. Better at mid boosts than Scarlet (I may prefer Scarlet's mid cuts, still not sure). Snappier than Azure. Green sounds so damn bright to me and Coral2 sounds so much more balanced (but for cutting narrow resonances Green is king for obvious reasons with its Q).

EDIT: compared to Magenta, it's firm and forward but smooth. The great thing about Coral2 is it respects the tonal balance but still brings a euphonic character to the sound, and it's not reserved like Scarlet or too hard/strident like Green. Seems to be a great overall balance. If I want soft/pillow/lush, I may reach for Magenta or Azure first though.

Still need to properly demo the filters.

I haven't given Coral2's highs a proper demo yet.

In short, I really love Coral2's eq.
Old 13th July 2019
That free Baxter EQ is ridiculously good.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut

(looong time lurker, first GS post!)

I just got Cola and have been loving the EQ for channels and some buses, but Coral 2 is really growing on me as a mixbus EQ (not to mention the Baxter which is really nice). It's been a while since I demoed Azure, but I think I might prefer Coral, tough to say...Haven't really checked out the comp much yet (and I'm suspicious of the meter as usual), but looking forward to diving in more. Wasn't planning on another purchase so soon after Cola but Coral is mighty tempting! Great release
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Welcome to the slut party, @ tgbeats !
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear
I replaced L-BUS with Cola compressor on the 2 buss and I find it sounds more natural and pleasing. I like that sound. I think I am going to use it more.

edit:

I realised I commented in the wrong thread :D
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut

Sorry, getting a little OT here! Interesting about the Cola compressor, I had never thought to use on the mix bus until the other day actually, tried it out but ended up replacing it. I think I'm having a hard time finding a sweet spot with it (although I've been liking it a lot for parallel compression on kick and snare).

I think my favorite mode so far on the Coral2 compressor is C1 for around 1db of gentle compression (faster attack/slower release), but I definitely need to test it out a bit more. Too many options!

edit: thanks, doom!
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feebie, sounds really good, just wish it had an output gain.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbeats View Post
I think I'm having a hard time finding a sweet spot with it
That goes for all the AA compressors, unfortunately. Especially on the mixbuss. Never succeeded with using AA in any mastering scenarios, and don't know any of my mastering colleagues that has... Pre's, EQ's sometimes, compressors, no... Algorithm, is still much more accurate and capable of handling complex music material, though I definitely prefer the clean versions... I often end up with a combination of both algo's and hardware... Looking forward to see what AA has to offer in the future.

All the best...

Last edited by lydfar; 14th July 2019 at 11:03 AM..
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Nut

Interesting. I don’t know anything about mastering, but for mixing I’ve gotten some nice results on the mix bus with the Pink3 compressor (single band), as well as Ultramarine4.

As for Coral2, I’ve also been liking compressor mode C2. Still, the EQ is the star of the show for me, both the regular Coral EQ and the Bax.

Really looking forward to checking out their Fearn VT-7, whenever that’s released!
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Baxter has been updated yesterday. loading times fixed!
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Head

Just downloaded demo and extensively tested coral on mixbus of modern pop-rock production. Tempo 125bpm. Other options are :
BX BAX EQ + Weiss DS1 MK3
Vertigo VSE2 + VSC3
AA Ivory stereo eq + mac mastering comp.

So as you see serious competition goin on here
All eq used as bax : around 80 hz +2 db, 15khz +2db

What i liked in order of preference
Lows
Coral
vse2

Highs
Ivory - daamn sounds good and focused, reminds me of hw
vse2

Compression. For pop - rock mix bus i like ssl style. Typical 30ms att., 100-200ms release, 1db of gain reduction.
On Coral I found usable settings for :
sand mode ( slow attack, fast release)
Ultramarine (att. 4,rel.2)
C3 (att. 3-4, rel. 1)

My Top List for compression looks like

Vsc3/weiss
Coral
Ivory

But it is close run i must admit. Depending on programm material.
From corals compressor i liked um, sand, c3 modes in particular order for actual track. Actually compared to original ultramarine, coral have independent attack release settings! This alone is big thumbs up!
Overall Coral package - what you get is insane. Options are good, sounds top tier. Compressors action not so smooth and easy sounding as weiss and vsc, but close enough to do the job.
Eq shines bright! Tight low end. Overall impressive. Ivorys high end still is the king for me.
Good job AA Team.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

It's tough to go wrong with Acustica Audio equalizers! They are slowly improving their compressors over time as well. With the release of Brighton I know that it's possible.

I am not sure if program dependent release action is a reality yet, but I still like what I'm hearing from the latest stuff.
Old 18th July 2019
Overall very impressed with Coral. Will be my first buy in the ‘transparent’ realm since I switched to digital ITB.
Great addition to all my color boxes from PSP and Acustica. Nice one!
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

I really adore the Coral compressor, which is odd as I don't specially like the SPL Iron (which I've now had the chance to try for real! Hurray! Another hardware box I can stop lusting for).

Coral was already one of the better compressors among the Aqua plugins but I feel like the Core 13 update has made it even better. I have it default to C5 mode with moderately slow attack (4th position from the left) and medium release (3rd from the left). It works exceptionally well for basic glue on almost anything. The release can be either a bit faster or a bit slower depending on the track but these are awesome starting settings. You'll need to set the threshold fairly deep for this mode though.. usually ends up around the -44 mark, providing a few dB of compression for most material.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
I really adore the Coral compressor, which is odd as I don't specially like the SPL Iron (which I've now had the chance to try for real! Hurray! Another hardware box I can stop lusting for).

Coral was already one of the better compressors among the Aqua plugins but I feel like the Core 13 update has made it even better. I have it default to C5 mode with moderately slow attack (4th position from the left) and medium release (3rd from the left). It works exceptionally well for basic glue on almost anything. The release can be either a bit faster or a bit slower depending on the track but these are awesome starting settings. You'll need to set the threshold fairly deep for this mode though.. usually ends up around the -44 mark, providing a few dB of compression for most material.
Very much appreciate the Coral 2 tips especially the comp, so many options!
Are you finding the pres useful as well???
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Any opinions on one of acustica's best eq's for boosting/colouring highs?
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear
Diamond for starters
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
I'd say Coral is pretty great, seeing it's this thread and a ll, but also because it is.

Ruby, AquamarineEQ and Magenta are my favourites for the presence/bell curves. (Magenta has a few bugs when used at 48k though so beware) The curves are broad and gentle, respecting your source material, as well as having enough variation in gain steps to be subtle. Ivory is great if you need something narrower and drier sounding. Ultramarine's E27 is great for boosting as well, but it doesn't always fit the bill.

If all I had was Coral2 though, that would be enough.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Nut

Boosting highs on the mixbus? Or just in general? I'm loving Coral2, but I'd also recommend checking out Ruby2 and the Ultramarine A27. Purple is no slouch either! Can't go wrong with any of these. I've been parking Ruby2 (or the PSP E27) on my mixbus for a while now, but it's hard to make Coral2 sound bad...
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pearl.

You won’t see it mentioned much for obvious reasons...

But Pearl by a wiiide margin.

My .02
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear
I'm sure this sounds amazing, but looking at it gives me anxiety and a feeling of panic.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
Pearl.

You won’t see it mentioned much for obvious reasons...

But Pearl by a wiiide margin.

My .02
Looking forward to Pearl 3!!
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Just like the hardware I'd say Magenta is really good at colouring high-mids especially in a very pleasant manner. It's good for the ultra highs as well but can be a bit "phasey"/strange on some sources (just like the hardware!).

Diamond is really nice for coloured highs as well but you don't have much control over the shape or placement of these boosts.

If you happen to own N4 then I can very highly recommend Osaka EQ for amazing coloured highs and high-mids. It's ridiculously good for these kinds of things. Heck, it's ridiculously good at everything!
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Purple, Pink or Gold. The new Coral Bax EQ is great too!
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

^^^^^ Thanks for all the info on acustica eq's. I was hoping all your opinions would home in on one. Seems you all share slightly different tastes. I was prepared to demo them all, but I really only want to buy one that brings out weighty colour on top end percs and hi hats, something like UAD's API 560. Maybe I'll start with coral.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search