The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance: ProAudioDSP DSM V3
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

BTW guys. When using DSM to match a track it will give you some visual clues of where you can adjust you mix a bit to either raise or lower channel volumes. Capture the curve. Slap it on your track. Use a high ratio and lower the threhold way below the 'track' indicator line. You should be able to see what parts of the spectrum are being 'hit' the hardest. I always seem to have to lower the snare or have a runaway cymbal or two
Old 5th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Just wondering whether, if you insert VUMT or such like directly before and directly after the DSM V3 plugin, you could subtract the value of the latter from the former VU Meter and work out GR that way. I mean I know it's a pain but maybe just initially to get a feel for the plugin?

Any thoughts?

Cheers.
sure ... or ...

I use TBProAudio AB_LM to calculate quickly.
Old 5th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
sure ... or ...

I use TBProAudio AB_LM to calculate quickly.
Just had a look at this on their website and it looks good.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

So I don't have curves to share because in my experience I get the best results out of DSM V3 in match situations when I am mixing into the reference first and then running a capture in DSM V3 of the source/ref and then applying it to my track.

I do have a tip/method that I find really useful and generally sounds great!

I am working on matching a set of real drums stems with a couple drum VIs so that a project I am working on is close to the sound of the real drums. The stems are from Drums on Demand. I'm using IK's Modo Drums for close mics/ohs with some acoustic samples tucked in on the snare and kick. I'm using Slate SSD to trigger room sounds routed to IK's Sunset plug.

I am tuning and mixing the drums using Metric AB with the DOD stems loaded up. Volume matching and eq'ing as I go along. So by the time I'm ready to hit DSM V3 to set buss compression I'm already in the ballpark balance wise.

So here is the tip/method that I had great results with today. I capture the curve of the DOD mixed drums in DSM V3 and apply it to my drums. Then adjusting the parameters to taste and feel and A/B with the reference.

I then use Nugen SEQ to run an EQ match post DSM. Doing this supplied me with the changes to the response curve that DSM V3 was applying to my drums with compression.

The awesome thing about Nugen SEQ is it is high-resolution and very accurate eq match along with the ability to scale both the depth and sharpness of the eq match curve.

After I get the eq match I then place it BEFORE DSM V3 and adjust the scale to taste. What this does is provide a bit more clarity and smooths the mix before DSM, which sounds like it's taking some of the 'load' off DSM.

The clarity is very apparent and provides an eq working with DSM that I can further adjust without having to dive into changing DSM. The EQ is only +/- 1 to 2db.

Attached is a screenshot of the curve I captured Post DSM and then placed in front of DSM. Worked like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails
Plugin Alliance: ProAudioDSP DSM V3-dsm-eq-match-post-moved-pre-dsm.jpg  
Old 10th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
So I don't have curves to share because in my experience I get the best results out of DSM V3 in match situations when I am mixing into the reference first and then running a capture in DSM V3 of the source/ref and then applying it to my track.

I am working on matching a set of real drums stems with a couple drum VIs so that a project I am working on is close to the sound of the real drums. The stems are from Drums on Demand. I'm using IK's Modo Drums for close mics/ohs with some acoustic samples tucked in on the snare and kick. I'm using Slate SSD to trigger room sounds routed to IK's Sunset plug.

I am tuning and mixing the drums using Metric AB with the DOD stems loaded up. Volume matching and eq'ing as I go along. So by the time I'm ready to hit DSM V3 to set buss compression I'm already in the ballpark balance wise.

So here is the tip/method that I had great results with today. I capture the curve of the DOD mixed drums in DSM V3 and apply it to my drums. Then adjusting the parameters to taste and feel and A/B with the reference.

I then use Nugen SEQ to run an EQ match post DSM. Doing this supplied me with the changes to the response curve that DSM V3 was applying to my drums with compression.

The awesome thing about Nugen SEQ is it is high-resolution and very accurate eq match along with the ability to scale both the depth and sharpness of the eq match curve.

After I get the eq match I then place it BEFORE DSM V3 and adjust the scale to taste. What this does is provide a bit more clarity and smooths the mix before DSM, which sounds like it's taking some of the 'load' off DSM.

The clarity is very apparent and provides an eq working with DSM that I can further adjust without having to dive into changing DSM. The EQ is only +/- 1 to 2db.

Attached is a screenshot of the curve I captured Post DSM and then placed in front of DSM. Worked like a charm!
Cheers for the tips. I haven't tried Nugen SEQ yet that I managed to snag for free with my MWTM subscription. I have and use DSM V3 though so I'll give it a go.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post

Cool, hasn't heard of SEQ. How does it compare to IK's Match plugin? I never gelled with that, as you said it feels incomplete.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Cool, hasn't heard of SEQ. How does it compare to IK's Match plugin? I never gelled with that, as you said it feels incomplete.
Hey b0se. Any match EQ will work. I think a few of them have the ability to scale so that you are not hitting DSM with a 100% EQ match, unless you want to.

I found that using a smoothed out 'match' around 50% let DSM 'breathe' a little more.

I think TDR NOVA GE would be a good one to try as well because you can scale it in the smart ops section.
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Using the new LetiMix GainMatch plugin before DSM and after DSM to automatically level match has opened up a whole new listening window into the range of compression available is DSM.

Having GainMatch ride the volume lets me try all kinds of different ratio/attack/release/knee without having to constantly compensate for gain changes. I know there are plenty of other utility plugs out there and I definitely slept on their helpfulness but GainMatch just 'fits'.

It's a nice 'GAS' suppressor as well because I can now quickly shootout new comps with DSM V3 and quickly slide passed the 'buy' button. Takes a special offering to knock off the (or at least join) the King of Comps!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Does this do what Sonnox Inflator does with compression and expansion? Curious with sales.....
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Does this do what Sonnox Inflator does with compression and expansion? Curious with sales.....
Totally different. Inflator doesn't directly control dynamics, it's harmonics. A no brainer at this price.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
inflator is a saturator/waveshaper so they are quite different. DSM is pretty unique, i would demo it if you can. not sure which sale you mean but you can get it quite cheap secondhand, looks like someone is selling it here: ProAudioDSP DSM V3 Native Plugin
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaytron View Post
inflator is a saturator/waveshaper so they are quite different. DSM is pretty unique, i would demo it if you can. not sure which sale you mean but you can get it quite cheap secondhand, looks like someone is selling it here: ProAudioDSP DSM V3 Native Plugin
They mean the Inflator sale, about $39 right now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
ah ha. would've realized that had i seen who asked the question. disregard!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Isn’t DSM 3 on sale also? I have it...
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes both Sonnox and PA have sales currently. Inflator is $39 and DSM 3 is $30.
Quote:
Ah ok maybe, I unsubbed from PA's mails recently.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
One main difference between both also is the ease of use. DSM is quite overwhelming at first. Inflator is one of the easiest to use and honestly, one of the best plugins still. Wanna get an even louder master that doesn't sound like poo, but like your mix? Wanna enrich and excite your 2bus just a tad? Wanna beef up an instrument or make it sparkle? It's all there in those few controls. @ ardis : get it! Better, get both as they're both on sale.
📝 Reply