The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin
Old 10th July 2019
News Desk Editor

Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin

Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin-abbeyroadstudio3_photo1_stereo.jpg

Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin, Powered by Waves Nx Technology

Now, you can produce and mix as if you were inside the Abbey Road Studio 3 Control Room – and hear your music the way the world’s greatest musicians and producers have heard theirs

KNOXVILLE, TN, July 10, 2019 — Waves Audio, the world’s leading developer of professional audio signal processing technologies and leading maker of audio plugins for mixing, music production, mastering, sound design, broadcast, post-production and live sound, introduces the Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin, created in collaboration with Abbey Road Studios and powered by Waves Nx immersive audio technology.

The Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin brings the impeccable acoustics of the legendary Abbey Road Studio 3 Control Room to any set of headphones. For the first time ever, thanks to Waves’ Nx technology, the complete acoustic response of Abbey Road Studio 3, a perfect music mixing room, has been captured for immersive use on headphones.

The Studio 3 control room is Abbey Road’s flagship mix room, designed by the world’s greatest acousticians to provide the ultimate music production and mixing environment. This unique control room is home to music’s greatest legends. From modern classics by Radiohead, Amy Winehouse and Kanye West, to contemporary mixes of the Beatles and Pink Floyd, to number-one chart toppers by Frank Ocean, Brockhampton and Florence + the Machine: all were recorded, mixed and perfected at Abbey Road Studio 3.

The Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin brings the perfect acoustics of the Studio 3 control room into your headphones – in glorious three-dimensional sound, powered by Waves’ pioneering Nx technology for immersive 3D audio. This unique plugin, used with any set of headphones, gives you the same stellar audio qualities that make Studio 3 the world’s best studio control room. Now, you can produce and mix as if you were inside Abbey Road Studio 3 – and hear your music the way the world’s greatest musicians and producers heard theirs, with:
  • The same supreme clarity of stereo and surround image.
  • The same acoustic response that unveils every detail in your sessions.
  • The same combination of impeccable room acoustics and state-of-the-art near-field, mid-field and far-field speakers.
  • The same well-balanced sustain across the entire frequency spectrum — the hallmark of expertly treated rooms.
  • The same accurate low-end sustain — notoriously difficult to achieve on headphones.
With Abbey Road Studio 3 inside your headphones, you can now trust your headphone mixes like never before, and you can produce and mix with greater confidence:
  • You have the ultimate reference environment for your headphone mixes.
  • You can better predict how your headphone productions will translate to speaker systems of all types.
  • You can hear true-to-life spatial depth on your headphones, with the same detail and panoramic sound image you would hear sitting in the sweet spot of Studio 3.
  • You can reliably mix the low end on headphones.
In addition, this plugin also delivers full 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound, modeled after the studio’s original surround setup. You can mix professionally for surround – on any set of stereo headphones.

Abbey Road Studio 3 is useful in a wide range of scenarios in which many producers and mixers often find themselves:
  • If you’re on the go, you can take Abbey Road Studio 3 with you.
  • If you don’t have a perfectly treated mix room – now you do.
  • If you do have a great room – now you have the world’s best room for more reliable reference.
  • If you collaborate on music with others – now you all have the same acoustic environment to refer to when sending mixes back and forth.
  • If you need to start a 5.1 or 7.1 mix workflow in your DAW without having access to a full set of surround speakers, or if you need to create a 5.1 or 7.1 premix before going into a surround sound mix studio for final tweaks – now you can do so on headphones.
Mirek Stiles, Head of Audio Products at Abbey Road says: “Abbey Road has historically been very protective of the acoustic properties of its studios for software emulations, and the Studio 3 control room is no exception. After speaking with Yoni Zlotkin (Waves Product Manager) and the Waves team at length over many months, I began to feel more confident these guys had some groundbreaking theories on how such a sensitive task could be realized. Not everything worked first time and we went back to the drawing board on a few occasions. Our breakthrough moment was when Giles Martin came into the Studio 3 control room with some Universal Music executives and we did a playback. The positive reaction from all in the room was immediate and confirmed our suspicions we had created something special and unique. This plugin was probably the most challenging yet and I’m extremely grateful to the Abbey Road engineers for their feedback and input, and to the talented, resilient and patient team at Waves Audio. I hope this plugin inspires music creators worldwide to realize their visions with more confidence than ever before.”

Mick Olesh, Waves EVP of Sales & Marketing, comments, “The Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 marks a pivotal point in the prolific cooperation between Waves Audio and Abbey Road, which began in 2011. This plugin is not only a technical breakthrough, it faithfully mirrors Waves’ ongoing commitment to serve our user base, by offering them tools that augment and enrich their workflow and especially their creative options. With the Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin, we have managed to overcome a common yet critical missing factor for many engineers, producers and musicians: not only the ability to obtain a professional-sounding work environment, but easy and affordable access to one of the best-sounding rooms in the world.”

With the world’s most famous sound studio, right inside your headphones and in immersive 3D audio, you now have the perfect place to produce and mix – anywhere, anytime. No matter how good or bad your current mixing and music production environment is, having Abbey Road Studio 3 to reference your sessions will take your work to the next level.

Abbey Road Studio 3 features:
  • The acoustics of Abbey Road Studio 3 – in immersive 3D audio over any set of headphones
  • Precision modeling of Abbey Road Studio 3’s stereo and surround soundstage
  • Hear your music the way Pink Floyd, Amy Winehouse, Radiohead, Frank Ocean and Kanye West heard theirs
  • Choose from Studio 3’s three sets of stereo speaker setups: near-field, mid-field, far-field
  • Mix 5.1 and 7.1 surround reliably on your stereo headphones
  • High-precision head tracking for enhanced realism
  • Personalized head anatomy calibration
  • Headphone EQ calibration for popular headphone models
  • SoundGrid-compatible; for SoundGrid-powered performance, you can offload the plugin’s processing to a SoundGrid server

To learn more: www.waves.com/plugins/abbey-road-studio-3
Attached Thumbnails
Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin-abbeyroadstudio3_photo1_stereo.jpg  
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict

I wanted to try this but sadly it doesn't have Samson SR850.
Old 10th July 2019
TGP
Gear Nut

I do not think you need to have one of the headphones they provide specific EQ curves for in order to try the plug-in.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict

I thought this was an April Fool's joke. Then I remembered it was July.

I love Waves and generally think their stuff is top flight. But "reference" is about knowing the mixing environment like the back of your hand, good frequency representation, and nothing more.

In other words if, for example, you already have NX and an old-faithful pair of great headphones, and you really know well what mixes sound like through that, and a decent analyzer, this doesn't add a thing to that picture.

EDIT: see my later comments. Turns out it's not a joke.

Last edited by biomuse; 1st August 2019 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Actually used the thing.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Nut

Sorry, but... of all the horrible plugin ideas, this one takes the cake.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Nut

Have you guys tried it before bashing..
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Is this following a strategy where instead of fixing an existing product, you repackage it as something new hoping to find new suckers?

I have Waves NX and it isn't even good as a paperweight. I couldn't get it to work and at some point I realised they prefer to use customers as their unpaid testers instead of releasing a working product.

Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict

Yeah this one triggered me too like nothing else. (Maybe the TMT modelling :D)
It seems like the bull**** of the year so far.

Does this supposed to work with any headphones?
How will the software know the coloration that is already imparted by your headphones?

Quote:
The same well-balanced sustain across the entire frequency spectrum — the hallmark of expertly treated rooms.

The same accurate low-end sustain — notoriously difficult to achieve on headphones.

If you don’t have a perfectly treated mix room – now you do.
WHAT?
NO.

Quote:
This unique plugin, used with any set of headphones
So let me get this straight. No matter what headphones i have, i will have the same quality of AR acoustics with this plugin.
It will sound the same on my HD600 as the guitarist's BEATZ.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpowa View Post
Have you guys tried it before bashing..
Very few of us can do a proper shoot-out.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Head

This sounds quite good with Sennheiser HD650 and Sonarworks in the chain as well. VERY speaker-like, almost too much maybe.. monitor options are also nice.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
It will sound the same on my HD600 as the guitarist's BEATZ.
Imagine plugging plane headphones
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Sounds great on Beyerdynamic DT770s.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
I’m not going to pre judge this until I try it. Could be cool.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict

Maybe you guys can do a review on it
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommijk View Post
This sounds quite good with Sennheiser HD650 and Sonarworks in the chain as well. VERY speaker-like, almost too much maybe.. monitor options are also nice.
If this changes the phones so it represents the room wouldn't using Sonarworks/HP mess that up?
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

For those who use to use Focusrite's VRM Box, or those that still do, this product looks like the closest thing to what that was doing.

Not only is the response of each speaker being modeled, but also the affect that the mixing environment has on each response at a particular mixing position, which seems to change based on the head tracking feature. If you also have the option of choosing a specific headphone profile, that should make it even more accurate than VRM Box ever was, keeping in mind that the Focusrite product was modeling a larger selection of speakers, and also modeled a bedroom and living room environment.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

This is like another option to can opener?

I will wait for a day when it is in sale and then demo
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
If this changes the phones so it represents the room wouldn't using Sonarworks mess that up?
I still have to try the thing for myself, but my assumption is that you need to either use the headphone correction supplied by the Waves plug-in, which is probably the best way to go in this case, or use Sonarworks, but not both.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I still have to try the thing for myself, but my assumption is that you need to either use the headphone correction supplied by the Waves plug-in, which is probably the best way to go in this case, or use Sonarworks, but not both.
That's what I would think, only use Waves not both, otherwise the processing would be wrong.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Presumably this thing is messing with the space, ambience and crosstalk. It’s not trying to make differing models of headphones sound the same as some are mocking. HD650s will still sound superior to some $50 cheapies.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
Presumably this thing is messing with the space, ambience and crosstalk. It’s not trying to make differing models of headphones sound the same as some are mocking. HD650s will still sound superior to some $50 cheapies.
The headphone correction is there to help make the modelling work more as intended despite what set you might be trying to use. So it definitely isn't trying to make different headphone models sound the same, it's simply there for compensation purposes.

The set you choose to use will still determine the overall quality of your mixing experience.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

It does seem a little odd that anyone would want to essentially listen to a speaker of a speaker, because thats what this is doing, I want to get closer to the source, not further away
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
It does seem a little odd that anyone would want to essentially listen to a speaker of a speaker, because thats what this is doing, I want to get closer to the source, not further away
Some find mixing with some sort of crossfeed easier than without.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

No wonder it is pricey to record there. The whole studio can rotate!
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Some find mixing with some sort of crossfeed easier than without.
True but I thought that was what NX was - an idealized “perfect” acoustic space simulated on headphones.... seems odd (dumb) to sample an actual space - regardless of how legendary it is as In the real world - even custom built money no object studios are never truly perfect.

I was really hoping this was a Waves version of UAD Ocean Way plugin albeit Abbey Road - now THAT would be the business!
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Maniac

CanOpener is great because it doesn’t color the sound like NX and some of the others.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Listening test with ATH-M50x headphones. Mega hit songs loaded into ADPTR Metric AB from country to metal. All volume matched to a pink noise wav set at -10lufs so I can flip from song to song in ADPTR and not be fooled by volume (you can load 16 tracks in that thing I think and it's great!). Wow. What a listening experience. For me I am very intrigued with the possibilies of using this plugin to help mix better. But before I dive into changing a mix to sound good in Studio 3 I need to wrap my ears around how great sounding records 'react' in the room and speaker emulations. So while listening to 'If I die young' by The Band Perry I heard a 'mistake' in a passage that I had not heard or noticed before while listening in the 'far' speaker in Studio 3. I heard for the 1st time a 'flub' on an acoustic instrument that they covered up with what sounds like a clap. Awesome. My plan is to 'tune' my ears to this plug listening to great songs over and over again. Get familiar with speakers and room and how the songs sound bass/mid/treble (using ADPTR to solo the target zones) feeding Studio 3. I have a feeling that this is going to change how I work in the long run for the better. But if not it is sure neat to listen to music through this virtual room.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Addict

If this would help you mix better and when I can check my mixes hear rather than cars. Would help me achieve a well balance mix then Im sold. Would not entirely mix with this plugin though. Its just not natural for me? I mean get used to the sound of your studio not abbey road. Every room is tuned differently.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Addict

tested this thing out. such a gimmick. i personally don't like it's sound. i certainly won't be making a purchase, but i do wonder, what is it really for? is it just try reference a final mix and see if it still sounds good? are you supposed to put it on the master bus before you even start mixing? either way. i found it sounded bad for not only my music but pretty much all the professional music i ran through it. i think i've finally concluded that it's best to just get any nice pair of open back headphones and get to know them really well. other than that, i'd say use Canopener. Everything else I've tried has felt too much like a gimmick. Even Sonarworks. Not saying that's a gimmick. for monitors, the software seems to really excel there, but with headphones i think it's best to just have a good pair of open backs that you know well. This is definitely a product you must try before you buy, and I'm hoping most people do that. Can't imagine great sales if people really test it first.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

From listening only on a YT video the low end sustain on the FAR setting sounds like a game changer to me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search