Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin - Page 20 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin
Old 19th July 2020
I see your point, but in practice for me it's not an issue. Several things here: one, I use the NX tracker and it's quite sensitive to head position, updating very quickly, between 25 and, oh, 32-33 frames per second. The sensitivity plus speed makes it feel quite natural. Secondly, I mix on a two monitor setup, so I'm moving my head "just enough" on a regular basis to maintain the illusion. Thirdly, I constantly go between the near, mid, and main monitors, each of which (properly) responds differently to head movements.

All three taken together, I find the solution excellent. I was just about to buy a pair of Adams -- I've put that off for a bit to work with ARS3, and I'm finding it excellent.
Old 20th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkward88 View Post
I see your point, but in practice for me it's not an issue. Several things here: one, I use the NX tracker and it's quite sensitive to head position, updating very quickly, between 25 and, oh, 32-33 frames per second. The sensitivity plus speed makes it feel quite natural. Secondly, I mix on a two monitor setup, so I'm moving my head "just enough" on a regular basis to maintain the illusion. Thirdly, I constantly go between the near, mid, and main monitors, each of which (properly) responds differently to head movements.

All three taken together, I find the solution excellent. I was just about to buy a pair of Adams -- I've put that off for a bit to work with ARS3, and I'm finding it excellent.
Excellent insights, thanks. I've only just bought ARS3 and at least with my "hack" I was able to make a purchasing decision without having to buy the NX tracker first. Looks like a sensible upgrade for the future.
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

I'd made a thread of this a couple days ago, and thought some may like to know. But I guess none did..? Anyway, Here's the prices as of two days ago. Notice the tracker alone is $99.00.

I just purchased the Nx Virtual Mix Room + Nx Head Tracker for $59.00 and Abbey Road Studio 3 for $50.00.
Here's how they have things listed. How do they figure this? If you can, then clue me in.

Nx Head Tracker for Headphones $99.00
Nx Virtual Mix Room $29.99
Nx Virtual Mix Room + Nx Head Tracker $59.00
Abbey Road Studio 3 + Nx Head Tracker $129.00
Abbey Road Studio 3 $50.00
Attached Thumbnails
Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin-waves-nx.jpg  
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
I'd made a thread of this a couple days ago, and thought some may like to know. But I guess none did..? Anyway, Here's the prices as of two days ago. Notice the tracker alone is $99.00.

I just purchased the Nx Virtual Mix Room + Nx Head Tracker for $59.00 and Abbey Road Studio 3 for $50.00.
Here's how they have things listed. How do they figure this? If you can, then clue me in.

Nx Head Tracker for Headphones $99.00
Nx Virtual Mix Room $29.99
Nx Virtual Mix Room + Nx Head Tracker $59.00
Abbey Road Studio 3 + Nx Head Tracker $129.00
Abbey Road Studio 3 $50.00
Not sure why but it's been like that for at least a few months now. Same on the Thomann website.
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Not sure why but it's been like that for at least a few months now. Same on the Thomann website.
I was hoping it wasn't a type O and I'd get "Sorry we screwed-up" email.
But I got my order confirmation, and it shipped, so I guess all's good.
Gave up on trying to figure it out.
I wish they'd of had some screwy deals like that, back when I was buying my LV1 setup.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is there any real benefit to getting this if you already own Waves Nx? Waves Nx says that's it's modeled after a "high end" studio, as is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Motown legend

I think it is quite a bit better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I think it is quite a bit better.
Thank you, sir. I'll take your word for it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by play/record View Post
Is there any real benefit to getting this if you already own Waves Nx? Waves Nx says that's it's modeled after a "high end" studio, as is.
They aren't close to being the same thing in actual use. ARS3 might very well end up replacing the use of NX for you.

In ARS3 you have 3 different speaker emulations to chose from; one set up in nearfield, mid-field and far-field monitoring positions. In NX you have 0. It's just a plain, neutral sounding virtual environment.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I found out about these after slate’s vsx announcement.
Wish this had more headphone eqs tho

Slate VSX is getting huge fanboy base, but barely anyone talks about Waves Abbey Road Studios 3.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
barely anyone talks about Waves Abbey Road Studios 3.
People have done enough talking about ARS3 already. There are plenty of user impressions about it posted in this thread alone if you're willing to look back through it.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut
Anybody using AR3 with Slate VSX?

Any tips or suggestions?
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_One View Post
Anybody using AR3 with Slate VSX?

Any tips or suggestions?
Yup. You can place ARS3 right before VSX. Set ARS3 to 'No EQ' profile and VSX to the HD-Linear headphone profile. This has been the best setting for me to use ARS3 as an expansion room in VSX, though I'm sure the speaker response is affected, so it's more a reference now than a mix room for me.

You can also try the matching headphone profiles in VSX to those in ARS3, though I didn't think that worked very well, IMO.
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Yup. You can place ARS3 right before VSX. Set ARS3 to 'No EQ' profile and VSX to the HD-Linear headphone profile. This has been the best setting for me to use ARS3 as an expansion room in VSX, though I'm sure the speaker response is affected, so it's more a reference now than a mix room for me.

You can also try the matching headphone profiles in VSX to those in ARS3, though I didn't think that worked very well, IMO.
I see. Thanks for this.

I don't have VSX yet but it looks like it would basically replace Sonarworks for me in my chain, which I now use after AR3.

Seems there's no way to effectively use the tracker, for head movement, whilst using the VSX rooms. That would be super cool, but imagine the two processes would clash somehow. I wonder if the simpler NX plugin could be configured to work somehow with VSX.

I guess I'll have to grab a pair and experiment.
📝 Reply