The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphelmer View Post
I just ran ARS3 through Room EQ Wizard and got the following. Looks like the largest peak to valley is around 10db which is extremely good for a room. Maybe more importantly, it looks like switching between the various speakers gives you pretty good coverage of all frequencies. If this is an emulation of a room there will absolutely be these peaks and valleys and they will change from speaker to speaker based on positioning and several other factors.
Hi dphelmer,

Might you explain how you use/setup REW to analyze a plugin ? I've not ever tried that. Would be interested.

Thanks
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Head

I'm on a Mac and used soundflower to route REW output to Ableton with just a single audio track and ARS3 on the master and then soundflower to route it back to the input of REW with no calibration file selected. No idea if that is the best way, but it gave results that looked vaguely like normal result aside from that completely flat response about 1k. I did a 12 second sweep from 20 to 20k. I had to tweak various gain stages in both REW and Ableton to get things working right.

One other thing that was interesting is that the "Far" speakers have a resonance around 75hz that rings out about 160ms, slightly longer than anything else.
Old 3rd December 2019
Lives for gear

so I just picked this up for $61 - seems like a good idea - win7 so no NX for me..

glad to see this works with surround in reaper.. does anyone know how I would approach a set up to use AR3 in surround with movies? some kind of virtual sound driver that hosts vst? any ideas?
Old 3rd December 2019
Gear Maniac

My mixing life-changing plugs for 2019: Lindell80 / IK Tape 80 / Bassroom / ARS3. Load of awesome compressors out there for 2019 but these 4 are undisputed winners IMO. Can't wait to see what 2020 brings. More rooms and headphone options for the ARS3 'line' I hope!
Old 4th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dphelmer View Post
I'm on a Mac and used soundflower to route REW output to Ableton with just a single audio track and ARS3 on the master and then soundflower to route it back to the input of REW with no calibration file selected.
Check out the Soundsource app. That's what I use and I have both ARS3 and Sonarworks running serially, meaning that I'm listening to all of my computer's audio through both AR3 and Sonarworks. No need for elaborate routing. Soundsource costs only $29.
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
My mixing life-changing plugs for 2019: Lindell80 / IK Tape 80 / Bassroom / ARS3. Load of awesome compressors out there for 2019 but these 4 are undisputed winners IMO. Can't wait to see what 2020 brings. More rooms and headphone options for the ARS3 'line' I hope!
Man, Tape 80 gets the most use out of the bunch over here too.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Is there any other competitor for room emulation like this Abbey Road plugin ?
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
I think the closest you get is headphone calibration plugins like Sonarworks, or speaker calibration plugins like IK ARC. But nothing the likes of Abbey Roads Studio 3.

Especially when you also factor in the head tracking as well which, to be honest, is better done with the Bluetooth head tracker. At least, not that I’m aware of.
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
ToneBoosters Isone 3 (part of their BusTools 3 bundle):

With TB Isone 3, a stereo virtual reproduction system and listening room can be experienced simply using a high-quality headphones. The frequency response and the directivity pattern of the virtual loudspeakers can be adjusted. Furthermore, the reverb time and volume of the virtual listening room and the distance to the virtual loudspeakers can be fully customized.

TB Isone 3 employs real-time HRTF (head-related transfer function) and BRIR (binaural room impulse response) processing in a flexible VST plug-in format. This makes Isone the perfect tool for headphone mixing, binaural room and loudspeaker simulation, and 3D virtual audio processing.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just this week at NAMM 2020 there was some software product announced from Embody in partnership with Audeze LCD-1 headphones. The guy promoting it on the floor rambled so much I couldn't tell exactly what the advantages were, but what I did get was that they at first will have two mix rooms...from Warren Huart and Carlos De La Garza.

https://embody.co/audeze-reveal-plus

Interesting that Warren was big on the hype train for the Waves product and now he's embedded with these guys. I must say, the LCD-1 is likely the headphone people will really like, software or not.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

interesting that Reveal+ doesn't seem to have anything about measuring your head... is that only required because of the movement-tracking part of the waves one?
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear
Nor does it measure either the volume or geometry within your ear canal. This would have an astonishing influence IMO.
Old 21st January 2020
Here's a promo video they've released.

https://vimeo.com/380587403
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

By the marketing descriptions it sounds like Reveal+ and ToneBoosters Isone are both using the same approach with HRTF and BRIR.

I wonder how or if it differs from what Waves is using.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For my tastes, the closest thing to ARS 3 was the old Focusrite VRM stuff, in the sense that it offered multiple speaker emulations per each room environment that it tried to emulate, while ARS 3 offers 3 speaker emulations in the single studio environment that it emulates.

Switching between speaker emulations is valuable for the same reasons that make switching between studio monitors in a real mixing environment so advantageous. If that is something you would care about, ARS 3 is the way to go.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering View Post
So i will say its not horrible on the CPU, hell i got it to run on a older i3 with only taking about 10% of the cpu (which is good all things considered for that machine on a modern plugin).
Curious if you're still getting +10% cpu in the latest version. I am seeing +50% cpu on a mid-2015 MacBook Pro in Pro Tools.

Anyhow I guess the points made by Goodhertz here still stand for ARS3 just as much as they did for NX: https://goodhertz.co/tonal/canopener-vs-nx/

TL;DR is that an accurate frequency response depends entirely on how much your physiology happens to look like the dummy head used!

The second footnote points to a paper that basically explains you only need a few key measurements of the pinnae to get a decent approximation of a personalized HRTF.

Looking at the Reveal+ promo video, I think that's where machine learning can take a magic leap, because it can find various close matches and then synthesize an HRTF from scratch by knowing how important each measurement is to the accuracy of the filter. And I do mean a magic leap... if properly trained, machine learning works incredibly well, even if we don't know exactly why from a mathematical standpoint:

https://www.wired.com/2015/12/machin...dont-know-why/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone hear whether the Headphone list is going to expand to include SENN 650 ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
By the marketing descriptions it sounds like Reveal+ and ToneBoosters Isone are both using the same approach with HRTF and BRIR.

I wonder how or if it differs from what Waves is using.
If we’re talking about the vanilla NX that would pose an interesting question. Although, their Bluetooth head tracker is quality advantageous and works so much better than facial tracking. I always advise everyone to buy it.

Not knowing the other products i’ll hazard a guess and say that they don’t emulate a studio space. I don’t know if it would yield better results by working inside virtual studio space as you mix, but in my experience it’s certainly less “flat sounding”. That makes it a more vibey and inspiring space to work within.

It could have been any way treated studio, it doesn’t necessarily have to be Abbey Roads, it could be any well treated space, the fact that it’s more inspiring than flat is the important element.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

How come the abbey road headphone calibration sounds completely different than the sonarworks calibration (when used in conjuntion with the AR plugin)? Much prefer the sonarworks, AR calibration is way too subtle for headphones such a Sony MDR-7506
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommijk View Post
How come the abbey road headphone calibration sounds completely different than the sonarworks calibration (when used in conjuntion with the AR plugin)? Much prefer the sonarworks, AR calibration is way too subtle for headphones such a Sony MDR-7506
The same difference can be spotted for other models of headphone too. Looks like Waves decided to take a less aggressive approach all around.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search