The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Introduce the Abbey Road Studio 3 Plugin
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear
Definitely get in touch with support at Waves. They are actually really great!
Old 31st August 2019
Re: high shipping prices for the tracker.

Have you checked to see if a local outlet or online retailer like Amazon has them in stock?

I bought the Software and tracker separately. Software download from the Waves website and tracker from a local online music gear retailer. That can mitigate the shipping cost considerably, even if it isn’t as attractive as the direct-from-Waves price.

(I live and work in Japan ... originally from Melbourne, Australia).
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear
Just getting in touch with WAVES support, appeared to be the best option in the end.
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Just getting in touch with WAVES support, appeared to be the best option in the end.
Seconded. I'd bought the plugin without the tracker, due to UK shipping costs. They've now sold me the tracker for $25 total ($10 + $15 shipping).

Next up, a Bluetooth adapter for my PC...
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Head

Kind of want to batch process all of my mp3s with this for headphone listening.

It'd also kind of an interesting novelty for an artist to slap this on an album and produce a digital version for headphone listening along side the normal version. I mean... why not right?
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Head
I liked it a lot actually.

It's fun to listen through. I tried to route some blueray 5.1 film through the plugin and it sounds more natural than direct listening in the headphone. In the latter case all the sounds are very close to your ears.

I hope waves can produce something like a cinema emulation using the same concept, i.e. IMAX cinema emulation, Dolby Cinema emulation ect. I think most ppl don't have access to a cinema enviroment to check how their music will sound like in the cinema.
Old 7th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dphelmer View Post
Kind of want to batch process all of my mp3s with this for headphone listening.

It'd also kind of an interesting novelty for an artist to slap this on an album and produce a digital version for headphone listening along side the normal version. I mean... why not right?
I've actually done that for my other pair of headphones HD600, I have a load of albums that I converted to ARS 3. Playing my HD600's from my iphone sound great when out.

In the studio I have the sub pack with a low pass filter at 60hz to get rid of the honk, this works amazing. Great job, haven't turned on the Adam A7x's for a week
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I've been going back and forth between trying the built-in EQ correction and Sonarworks, and I find that my opinion of which one works better changes depending on the set of headphones I'm using. Obviously there is a bit more flexibility when using Sonarworks, and people may prefer having access to that over the simple off/on functionality of what is available with Waves.

As for where to put Sonarworks when using it with ARS3... Sonarworks should go last. Unlike Waves NX, ARS3 is "coloring" your audio in order to create an accurate sounding virtual environment. You don't want anything skewing the balance of your mix before it hits the ARS3 plug-in, unless it's something you plan on leaving active when you print your mix, and that isn't what Sonarworks is for.

Putting Sonarworks last ensures it's only applying that correction to effect the final result that goes out to your headphones.
I have been a little frustrated over this aswell and this explanation (by PettyCash and others) seems to make the most sense so far (to me at least but always willing to listen to other ideas).

I would love both Waves and Sonarworks to comment as to how they think they would work best in tandem but I don't forsee such statements being made anytime soon but one can hope.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Because Flat Response is a sterile and difficult listening environment in headphones for long periods of time. ARS3 addresses in a more elegant way your statement of adding crosstalk and studio room IRs.

For me it has made mixing more enjoyable in cans far beyond EQ correction (though I still mix check with that as well...but wondering more and more why bother). The Far and Mid-field speakers are worth gold and if you can create an FX chain that mimics what ARS3 sounds like I am interested in hearing it.

I work on NS10s for a long time. Really can't say that's what the near-fields in ARS sound like. I certainly don't think so but others here may agree.
I agree with this - Ear fatigue can be so annoying when on headphones for long periods of time and anything to lessen the fatigue is welcome.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
I agree with this - Ear fatigue can be so annoying when on headphones for long periods of time and anything to lessen the fatigue is welcome.
I agree. It will help to keep us more ideally objective just that little bit longer.

What I wonder about though, is whether there will be more studios to come. One great sound studio is certainly enough, but it does appear to me they could ultimately offer several studios ultimately. It could be handy to get another perspective from another ideal location.

Just a thought.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would love both Waves and Sonarworks to comment as to how they think they would work best in tandem but I don't forsee such statements being made anytime soon but one can hope.
What would really be ideal would be for the functionality of this Waves plugin to exist in Sonarworks Systemwide.

And....

Headphone listening in general is not how mixes were intended upon their creation. And to imagine some future-world where a song would be released in a headphone-optimized version is a bit silly.

However, having an option on all of our headphone listening devices (smartphones) to switch on an emulated room-response would be pretty cool.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
What would really be ideal would be for the functionality of this Waves plugin to exist in Sonarworks Systemwide.

And....

Headphone listening in general is not how mixes were intended upon their creation. And to imagine some future-world where a song would be released in a headphone-optimized version is a bit silly.

However, having an option on all of our headphone listening devices (smartphones) to switch on an emulated room-response would be pretty cool.
I don't have great speakers, I don't have a great room. I don't like 'background music' here at home - or anywhere. When I listen to music for mixing - or enjoyment - I almost always use headphones.

So, I can see mixing for headphones in and of itself. Now my wife is totally happy listening to music on her tiny, weeny iPad speakers...Geeez!
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

I've been mixing exclusively on headphones for 5 years now. (Before that i used to mix on Focal SoloB6/Ns10 in a pretty good room).

I've started with a very very bad pair of Sony HD 7509 (no bass, really harsh sounding...) = very bad mix.

Then came sonarworks and i invest into a Sennheiser HD600 + a custom profil from them.

It felt so great that day but i was still missing something so i started a quest for a software that would help me get the same feeling when mixing on speakers.

So i bought Goodhertz Canopener. Et voila ! = better mixes

Then this came and i was very curious to try it and very cautious at the same time because of the name Abbey Road on it.

After experimeting a lot of producing and mixing with it, i came to the conclusion that working with this is pure fun, i work faster and better with studio 3 than with Canopener (and yes i have the new HD beta version). I also enjoy listening to music with my heaphones more.

I dont like the integrated Eq (sonarworks is far superior regarding this matter)
And right now i don't feel the need for the tracking thing but this might change later.

I still use Canopener, cause i am really used to it and sometimes its really cool to get that pure dry sound and compare with the 3 listening positions offered by Studio 3.

I've always been very jealous of my brother (graphic designer) who could work anywhere with just a laptop and a pen without disturbing anyone or needing any specific condition but now i can do the same and enjoy a very great sounding environnement.

To me that is so cool, hope this helps.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or the other way around where the basic headphone correction option currently available in ARS3 is expanded upon.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or the other way around where the basic headphone correction option currently available in ARS3 is expanded upon.
I'd think this expansion is something that will happen soon from Waves.

BUT.. Sonarworks has a side project of a phone app trying to get the mass market into the headphone correction thing.

If Sonarworks added a "room emulation" aspect (similar to ARS3) to this phone app, I think it would be a more attractive product to the mass market.

Last edited by Jim Rosebrook; 9th September 2019 at 07:54 PM..
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it would be a more attractive product to the mass market.
It certainly would, but Sonarworks seems more than content with their current direction.

It was enough for most of us that they had a few different response emulations built into version 3 of their software, and they decided to remove those with version 4. Fortunately, MixChecker Pro exists and can fill that void.

We're still at a point where having the perfect, most complete headphone monitoring setup experience requires multiple different software pieces.
Old 9th September 2019
Motown legend

It would be nice if Sonaarworks offered a VST plug-in slot in systemwide that we could run whatever room simulation we like in.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Rigout View Post
I've been mixing exclusively on headphones for 5 years now. (Before that i used to mix on Focal SoloB6/Ns10 in a pretty good room).

I've started with a very very bad pair of Sony HD 7509 (no bass, really harsh sounding...) = very bad mix.

Then came sonarworks and i invest into a Sennheiser HD600 + a custom profil from them.

It felt so great that day but i was still missing something so i started a quest for a software that would help me get the same feeling when mixing on speakers.

So i bought Goodhertz Canopener. Et voila ! = better mixes

Then this came and i was very curious to try it and very cautious at the same time because of the name Abbey Road on it.

After experimeting a lot of producing and mixing with it, i came to the conclusion that working with this is pure fun, i work faster and better with studio 3 than with Canopener (and yes i have the new HD beta version). I also enjoy listening to music with my heaphones more.

I dont like the integrated Eq (sonarworks is far superior regarding this matter)
And right now i don't feel the need for the tracking thing but this might change later.

I still use Canopener, cause i am really used to it and sometimes its really cool to get that pure dry sound and compare with the 3 listening positions offered by Studio 3.

I've always been very jealous of my brother (graphic designer) who could work anywhere with just a laptop and a pen without disturbing anyone or needing any specific condition but now i can do the same and enjoy a very great sounding environnement.

To me that is so cool, hope this helps.
Same here! Except I dont use Sonarworks, but I'm having fantastic results with my HD600s with ARS3, bypassing their headphone eq correction and instead using ToneBoosters Morphit. I find Morphit around 75% wet seems to translate really well. I'm loving just listening to my favourite music this way too.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It certainly would, but Sonarworks seems more than content with their current direction.

It was enough for most of us that they had a few different response emulations built into version 3 of their software, and they decided to remove those with version 4. Fortunately, MixChecker Pro exists and can fill that void.

We're still at a point where having the perfect, most complete headphone monitoring setup experience requires multiple different software pieces.
Sorry to go off topic but just one question - Is MixChecker Pro a big step up from the initial MixChecker release in your opinion? (i.e. is it worth the upgrade of double the price?)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry to go off topic but just one question - Is MixChecker Pro a big step up from the initial MixChecker release in your opinion? (i.e. is it worth the upgrade of double the price?)
I only have experience using the Pro version personally. If you can get the upgrade on sale, based on just features alone it seems like it would be worth the upgrade though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I can currently get ARS3 for 80$, you guys think it is worth it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Absolutely.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berba View Post
If you are on headphones a lot then it enables you to keep an open mind for longer without having to take breaks or listen to reference tracks as often if that makes sense...

It is also a far more pleasant listening environment than flat headphones. I use Sonarworks reference with it as you will see from the discussions in this thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berba View Post
Another big thumbs up from me. Excellent way to expand your reference options when mixing with headphones.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
If you are on headphones a lot then it enables you to keep an open mind for longer without having to take breaks or listen to reference tracks as often if that makes sense...

It is also a far more pleasant listening environment than flat headphones. I use Sonarworks reference with it as you will see from the discussions in this thread.
I'm working exclusively on headphones (unfortunately) Sharing a small student apartment with my better half, leads me no luxury in terms of listening environments. However, this technology will help immensely for people in such situations as myself. I hope this tech is just the tip of the iceberg, and further down the road we will be amazed.

ARS 3 is definitively worth the investment, considering my circumstances. Thanks for the reply!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Another big thumbs up from me. Excellent way to expand your reference options when mixing with headphones.
You were absolutely right, bought it last night.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I also can get it for 69,99$ until Sunday, and I'm wondering whether to get it now (I'm quite impressed with the plugin after demoing it, btw) or wait until the sales season, since it's about to begin? How low do you guys think it might drop, if at all, something like 50? What was the history for the NX plugin, I don't remember it being on sale at all. I've already made a few mixes with the demo on my AKG K702's and became convinced that it's useful, but i'd be ok with waiting a month or two if there's a chance price may drop considerably.
Old 3 weeks ago
69,99$ is a pretty good price. I would also like to get it as I received a coupon code. However the coupon code doesn't work for whatever reason.
@ waves support: any chance I could still realise this offer? Code is valid until sunday. I already emailed your support...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

After a bit of consideration, bought it while the coupon lasted. Helps me being more productive now, even if the price comes down later this year. Although, wouldn't lie, I'd feel pretty cheesed if that happens to be the case during November sales. Hope Waves support will reply to you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianblack8 View Post
After a bit of consideration, bought it while the coupon lasted. Helps me being more productive now, even if the price comes down later this year. Although, wouldn't lie, I'd feel pretty cheesed if that happens to be the case during November sales. Hope Waves support will reply to you!
Thanks, mate!
It finally worked!
Let‘s have some fun at Abbey Road, haha
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search