The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Plugin Alliance: Purple Audio MC77
Old 9th July 2019
Plugin Alliance: Purple Audio MC77

Legend Reborn

How do you take a legendary compressor like the 1176 and not only do it justice but improve on it?

This was the vision behind the MC77 created by Purple Audio in the late nineties. It all started with an exacting recreation of the “E” revision of one of the most iconic solid-state limiting amplifiers of all time. From there, all modern, high performance components were used to match the unit to the original to create a flawless, discrete signal path.

With the MC77 (MC is 1100 in Roman numerals!) you have access to the same unrivaled functionality and lightning-fast response as the original 1176, with the added bonus of onboard side-chain and stereo linking facilities. There is no doubt that the Purple Audio MC77 can be your one stop shop for taming the dynamics and adding character to your tracks.

With the huge amount of compressors and limiters available today, why choose the MC77 you might ask? Well, for one, its design was based around the king of all limiters, the 1176. Offering a super fast response time and an impeccable, all-discrete signal path, the MC77 can deliver everything from well mannered and transparent dynamics to full-on brick wall stopping power.

Terrific on bass guitars, kicks, vocals, and much more. Also a huge asset when it comes to shaping punchy parallel processing on drums or other group busses. It’s also great for placing gentle piano tracks in complex mixes or even strapping it across the stereo buss to add some glue to your mix.

Classic Dynamics in the 21st Century

After Purple Audio crafted the massive success of the MC76 and armed with a ton of feedback from satisfied users, the MC77 was introduced to continue the legacy. This compressor was built with the highest standards in mind, utilizing the best of parts like the Toroidal power transformer, top of the line interlocking switches and only the highest grade conductive plastic potentiometers. The MC77 uses Field Effect Transistor (FET) technology for the gain reduction element. The FET is the first component in the signal path and this is what allows for large amounts of limiting to occur without introducing severe distortion. You can choose from four compression ratios (4:1, 8:1, 12:1 and 20:1) to get the exact amount of gain reduction needed. For the attack control you can select for anywhere from less than 20 microseconds and up to 800 microseconds. This remarkably quick attack time is independent of the frequency and duration of peaks in your tracks. The release time is continuously variable from 50 microseconds to 1.1 seconds.

Brainworx Sweetens The Pot

Utilizing Brainworx expertise in precisely modeling complex analog circuits, MC77 now brings this versatile tool into your DAW preserving its unique sound and character. Like with many previous products, Brainworx did not stop after finishing the pristine emulation. Additional plugin only features like patent-pending TMT (Tolerance Modeling Technology, which effectively gives you many different analog units of the MC77 in one plugin), onboard M/S processing, a High-Pass Side-Chain, a Brainwory Mono-Maker and a Stereo Width control make this compressor all the more powerful and customizable.

You also have a Dry/Wet control that makes it very easy to use the MC77 in parallel setups. Try it out today and experience the huge potential and utility of one of the best compressors of all time!

Please note: this is NOT a remake of the old TDM plugin (discontinued) made by AVID back in the days. This is a completely new plugin, developed from the ground up by Brainworx with the latest modelling techniques available.

Download & Try Now - Available for Sale July 15!

Attached Thumbnails
Plugin Alliance: Purple Audio MC77-purple-audio_mc77-action.jpg   Plugin Alliance: Purple Audio MC77-purple-audio_mc77_default_toolbar.jpg  
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Hehehe, Brainworx and obviously the whole PA team is on fire!

I wonder, with this tempo, is Brainworx taking orders perhaps?

It's going to be fantastic quarter.

Krešo
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Maniac

very nice...
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

Here we go guyz ....

You know i got you guyz covered

Here's my take on the Purple Audio MC 77 emulation coming from PA , another 1176 ? well we gonna check this out !!

If You remeber the song we begun to pre mix with the focusrite channel strip , this baby come to rescue ....to instance and you judge !!

1) Plugin Tour
2) All fun / mix rescue !!
3) Conclusion !!

Thks for watching
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Addict

lol @ Jeezo

they must pay you for this! :D
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Maniac

PA needs to slow down.... I’m starting to get overwhelmed.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

vs black rooster....

Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-FET
Old 9th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Here we go guyz ....

You know i got you guyz covered

Here's my take on the Purple Audio MC 77 emulation coming from PA , another 1176 ? well we gonna check this out !!

If You remeber the song we begun to pre mix with the focusrite channel strip , this baby come to rescue ....to instance and you judge !!

1) Plugin Tour
2) All fun / mix rescue !!
3) Conclusion !!

Thks for watching
Hahahaha 22 minutes after release!! Amazing. All hail Jeezo.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Jeezo and Simon Stockhausen are the Bees Knees when it comes to test and show
Videos. Thanks guys!
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Head

too much meat on the fire !!!
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Hahahaha 22 minutes after release!! Amazing. All hail Jeezo.
I could have dropped it even before release lol !!! like one of my ex student used to say "Zo is in the future " lol

Joke appart ...first i was really (like i'm pretty sure everybody here) : well another 1176 ...meh ....

Specially with the last releases , lastely the Arturia witch was exellent ...

Well this one is ...i let you guyz check !!
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

This pimp groove of yours will get deep under the skin of your faithful followers! If there is your classis pimp tune involved while making presentation...

Really, you posted video? That fast?! Man, what do you do for living? Tracking new plugins and making videos? Or is your clone doing that?

I am going to watch your pimp take later on. I am curious which tune you were fiddling about with when making this preview on Purple.

Now, ragrding yet another 1176 take, being it Brainworx or not, having real hw and lots of great emus I think I am going to pass on this one from Brainworx offerings this summer. Damn, they're on fire. Damn! Damn! Daaaammmmnnnnn!!!

Krešo
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
This pimp groove of yours will get deep under the skin of your faithful followers! If there is your classis pimp tune involved while making presentation...

Really, you posted video? That fast?! Man, what do you do for living? Tracking new plugins and making videos? Or is your clone doing that?

I am going to watch your pimp take later on. I am curious which tune you were fiddling about with when making this preview on Purple.

Now, ragrding yet another 1176 take, being it Brainworx or not, having real hw and lots of great emus I think I am going to pass on this one from Brainworx offerings this summer. Damn, they're on fire. Damn! Damn! Daaaammmmnnnnn!!!

Krešo
Lol you sound like my wife , stop it

More seriously videos were ready way before guyz ....i had access to those as i beta test for PA , and trust me it was HARRRRRDDDDD to keep it for me so i wanted to share those last beauties .... only thing i could say to friends was "be easy on last purchase guyz !!! some great stuff coming " lol

I skipped Cubase and NI KU upgrade for that (yes i buy plugins that i beta test and love , to keep full independance from brands and to support them !!)
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

So... information, or "About". Who are the individual designers/creators of this plugin?

Edit: Also... it's gonna be interesting to see what the initial price point of this plugin will be... relative to several other great compressor plugins that have been released lately.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

I never really geled with my hardware mc77. I much prefered UA:s (even the reissues), which was smoother and less bright.
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
lol @ Jeezo

they must pay you for this! :D
Sounds like a good idea , at least i would not say no to free plugins
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
I never really geled with my hardware mc77. I much prefered UA:s (even the reissues), which was smoother and less bright.
I think with their relation with UA , it was the only imho , juts pure speculations here ... now i understand those crisp high versus Overloud or Arturia one , exited on heavy GR ....
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Here we go guyz ....
Thanks for having an overview handy so quickly.
Very interesting creation leaving the purist path.

Despite the special PA bar at the bottom,
a link of in/out is on my wishlist for every compressor coming out these days.

Psst ... what`s next?
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think with their relation with UA , it was the only imho , juts pure speculations here ... now i understand those crisp high versus Overloud or Arturia one , exited on heavy GR ....
Yeah, which is great if you need it. But I often need to attenuate this area instead of boosting it, so...
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah, which is great if you need it. But I often need to attenuate this area instead of boosting it, so...
Usually it's handled before in my case ... the other comp tend to be great in some caes but sometime it's too much , not that a problem on individual but really noticeable on busses .... anyway , check the track i'm using on (on purcpuose) it gets rid of what i don't need and it added that missing crispiness ...

I like dark and sometime ...i'm too much ...
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Usually it's handled before in my case ... the other comp tend to be great in some caes but sometime it's too much , not that a problem on individual but really noticeable on busses .... anyway , check the track i'm using on (on purcpuose) it gets rid of what i don't need and it added that missing crispiness ...

I like dark and sometime ...i'm too much ...
Just saw the video, and know what you mean.
In my case I often used it when recording vocals, and sometimes (with a brighter mic) it just made the vocals to harsh (whereas the UA 1176 didn’t).
But I liked it on bass.

But as you know, sometimes certain gear doesn’t work great with some sources, but excellent with others, so...it all depends.
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Just saw the video, and know what you mean.
In my case I often used it when recording vocals, and sometimes (with a brighter mic) it just made the vocals to harsh (whereas the UA 1176 didn’t).
But I liked it on bass.

But as you know, sometimes certain gear doesn’t work great with some sources, but excellent with others, so...it all depends.
i hear you homie , same here , on bass it's more stuff like C1b of LA 3A unless i want that slap cut threw the mix
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear
Before even reading comments. What a fantastic tool to bring to the plugin world. I hope it stands up to the real thing.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is how I felt after hearing the both. I look forward to trying this.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
i hear you homie , same here , on bass it's more stuff like C1b of LA 3A unless i want that slap cut threw the mix
So, Jeezo... can you take a look in the About window, and tell us who the individual designers/creators are? Anyone we would know? Thanks.
Old 9th July 2019
PA guys are going to bankrupt me soon.

By this point, I'm doubting that they sample multiple units for the TMT. Could it be that they have some sort of code that alters the signal (with static values) of the TMT channels? If so, maybe releasing that as a standalone would be helpful in conjunction with other plugins
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
So, Jeezo... can you take a look in the About window, and tell us who the individual designers/creators are? Anyone we would know? Thanks.
Wanted to make you a screen shot but since 2 dayz impossible to launch the plugin !!! don't know why !!?
Attached Thumbnails
Plugin Alliance: Purple Audio MC77-pa.jpg  
Old 9th July 2019
M2E
Lives for gear

Demoed this plugin as I have about 9 different 1176 versions.

I thought it was just OK. Nothing special to be completely honest.
I messed around with the parallel option as I never really use it to see if there was maybe something there and I liked it.

Big question, would I buy? Probably not. Love the new VLA-Fet right now and my other go to Arturia.

I can say it looks beautiful. Love the Purple. I wonder if EJ has tried this yet.

Great video Jeezo as usual.

Marc
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Demoed this plugin as I have about 9 different 1176 versions.

I thought it was just OK. Nothing special to be completely honest.
I messed around with the parallel option as I never really use it to see if there was maybe something there and I liked it.

Big question, would I buy? Probably not. Love the new VLA-Fet right now and my other go to Arturia.

I can say it looks beautiful. Love the Purple. I wonder if EJ has tried this yet.

Great video Jeezo as usual.

Marc
Thks Marc ...didn't tried the VLA , what i liked about this one is the low end smashing that i didn't managed to reproduce excpt maybe with the FET comp from softube or Kush stuff .... Arturia are crashing sessions , and the last update of Pigments doesn't open gui ....i'm wondering if their last framework deosn't use something my 8.1 systems don't like ...
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas Alshafai View Post
PA guys are going to bankrupt me soon.

By this point, I'm doubting that they sample multiple units for the TMT. Could it be that they have some sort of code that alters the signal (with static values) of the TMT channels? If so, maybe releasing that as a standalone would be helpful in conjunction with other plugins
No doubt, some randomizer on fractal base or something, no clear pattern, pure random in tolerances eg. from 0,0001 to 0,01%. Or something like that.

Here I mean tolerances in: Gain, Noise, THD, IN/OUT Level, LFO (maybe) for many different functions dependent of a product, whatever...

I am imagining this is the case here. Randomizer of some kind, a piece of code once done (and maybe polished until now and all those proven plugins out there - note that there are many iterations of plugins, you have to follow periodically how updates are being released but we don't get any warnings) and now as proven right and good insteretd into the right place. There is no sane person who would measure and caputure each component and then maybe 10 of each and then do calculations and maeasure tolreances and THEN do that for every el. component to fit it in. No way. I am not trying to put down PA. They have patent pending, I (we) like it and love their final products. That's what's important.

Go Brainworx, go PA!

Krešo
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search