The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Brainworx Focusrite SC Channel Strip
Old 26th July 2019
  #241
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko123 View Post
Hype is great, and it sounds best amongst their any console emulations. Easy on eyes and quickly able to dial sound. Smooth But..... How it fares against real console ?
All console emulations on compared to real desks, doesn't have that depth and sound. Sounds no where close.

With just ten pieces being made, no body will ever hear if it actually sounds indistinguishable to real console or not..
And conversely, no one will know that it doesn’t sound like the real thing. ;-)
Old 26th July 2019
  #242
Gear Addict
 

Does anyone know what the slope is on the high and low pass filters? As far as I can tell, that info isn’t in the manual.
Old 26th July 2019
  #243
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourpadre View Post
How do people like this on vocals?

I need a new interface and Clarett seems like a nice option right now.

I bought a Clarett 4Pre USB few months ago and it was a good decision. Noticeable improvement in clarity in both the preamps and the headphone/speaker out. The Air function is really nice to have. Makes my SM7B sound like a different mic.
Old 26th July 2019
  #244
Lives for gear
 
64gtoboy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
And conversely, no one will know that it doesn’t sound like the real thing. ;-)
Plus you don't have to build a whole separate air conditioned room just for the power supplies.
Old 28th July 2019
  #245
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
And conversely, no one will know that it doesn’t sound like the real thing. ;-)
I have an Isa430 channel strip that I'd been debating comparing the plugin to but I KNOW I'm not buying this plug or ANY subscription to any plugin. From the images I've seen, they are pretty identical looking. I really like the hardware and I'm sure it's a good emulation but the initial emails had me pretty excited but the announcement, disappointed. I have 60 something PA plugs, most of which I feel are very good or great, so I can't be mad at anyone who wants to change their business model OR make changes I don't agree with. A good friend purchased the sub plan so horses for courses I guess. I wish PA all the best..
Old 6th August 2019
  #246
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I defer to PAs own literature, but, as I recall, the individual channels are not modeled. But, each channel is engineered to sound a little different from one another. So, if pull up a Kick on channel one and then click through the channels you will hear small to noticeable differences.

That’s before the TMT... with the TMT, it adds harmonics and all manner of random “analog” craziness which randomizes the sound of the individual channels even more.

Again... I defer to PA and the experts here, but, that’s what I recall reading when I picked up the neve and ssl channels
I didn't know this, thanks
I'll keep it in mind when using bx_N from now on.
Old 6th August 2019
  #247
Here for the gear
I was mostly interested in the comp part of the Focusrite CS
But found it negligible, as I see with many of you here too.
So concluded I'll pass on this plug.
Don't find it worth the $300+ or even to sub PA for.

I've been using bx N console since April,
And I must share a few things.
the eq is nice for mix curving, but not for creative sound shaping on individual channels or sound design.
The curves are just way too gentle, much like the plugindoctor curves posted here for F-CS & SSL4k.
I think these consoles have more in common with each other, than they're having differences.

Another thing is that it de-harshes the sound a bit, giving it a final polish, which is a good thing.
But even an harsh squarewave synth will sound better quality wise because of it, and I found that's a really bad thing actually.
To be honest it basically made an harsh sound "radio ready".
I referenced it to some tracks and it's exactly the thing that I dislike, high quality non musical crap sound.
Now I'm more aware & careful that I don't feed audio that's still in early stages.
Or else it will give the illusion like it's good enough & sits well in mix, and not tweaking it further.
This is maybe the most deceptive plug I have in that regard lol

But I can see now, how a guy producing a lifeless harsh song, using the "init beep" preset,
commissions an skilled engineer using quality plugs like these or whatever to make it radio ready,
and resulting in high quality generic crap that doesn't emotionally engage the audience, even on premium hifi speakers.
Then like the other day, I hear a Bob marley song on a kids little 10w speaker & it sounds crisp, voice, hats etc with everyone cheerfully singing along.
And it just graces again on what's it all about.
Old 10th August 2019
  #248
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Valiant View Post
I was mostly interested in the comp part of the Focusrite CS
But found it negligible, as I see with many of you here too.
So concluded I'll pass on this plug.
Don't find it worth the $300+ or even to sub PA for.

I've been using bx N console since April,
And I must share a few things.
the eq is nice for mix curving, but not for creative sound shaping on individual channels or sound design.
The curves are just way too gentle, much like the plugindoctor curves posted here for F-CS & SSL4k.
I think these consoles have more in common with each other, than they're having differences.

Another thing is that it de-harshes the sound a bit, giving it a final polish, which is a good thing.
But even an harsh squarewave synth will sound better quality wise because of it, and I found that's a really bad thing actually.
To be honest it basically made an harsh sound "radio ready".
I referenced it to some tracks and it's exactly the thing that I dislike, high quality non musical crap sound.
Now I'm more aware & careful that I don't feed audio that's still in early stages.
Or else it will give the illusion like it's good enough & sits well in mix, and not tweaking it further.
This is maybe the most deceptive plug I have in that regard lol

But I can see now, how a guy producing a lifeless harsh song, using the "init beep" preset,
commissions an skilled engineer using quality plugs like these or whatever to make it radio ready,
and resulting in high quality generic crap that doesn't emotionally engage the audience, even on premium hifi speakers.
Then like the other day, I hear a Bob marley song on a kids little 10w speaker & it sounds crisp, voice, hats etc with everyone cheerfully singing along.
And it just graces again on what's it all about.
But these console plugins are supposed to emulate that Bob Marley reference U used.....

I believe things were recorded better back then? Anyways got the strip for free because I own a Clarett 8 Pre X. Best purchase ever! And with the free plugins you frequently get from Focusrite I almost got my money out of it. Crazy.
Old 10th August 2019
  #249
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Valiant View Post
Then like the other day, I hear a Bob marley song on a kids little 10w speaker & it sounds crisp, voice, hats etc with everyone cheerfully singing along.
And it just graces again on what's it all about.
Well, Bob Marley records weren't made with a bunch of plugins, were they?
Old 10th August 2019
  #250
WKG
Lives for gear
Focusrite has been really good with the plugin benefits. I've got a Scarlett 2i2 I picked up some time ago for a compact travel/laptop option and have gotten quite a few free/discounted plugins as a result but not the Focusrite strip. I've also got a 428 with the A/D card, I thought they might have extended it with that but nada.
Old 10th August 2019
  #251
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
i've reached focusrite telling , hey "and for forte owner (and why not isa owner also) wouldn't it make also sens ?

Answer from one employee (first) : Why Forte or isa ? only scarlett

I replyied : because it's orginaly taken from a forte console !! by the way here's a video i made on it ... (saying this to show like , hey maybe you could do some (and learn some by the way lol) : Ignored and transfered to another guy

Other Guy : "we only offer this for scarllets and forte "

Me : "What ?"

Her (first employee) : oups Tipo ...


I gave up .... lol
Old 13th August 2019
  #252
Lives for gear
 
MickeyMassacre's Avatar
Do you still have to assign the channel emulation track by track? Would love to see the instances automatically assign channel 1 to first plugin instance, 2 to next etc.
Old 14th August 2019
  #253
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre View Post
Do you still have to assign the channel emulation track by track? Would love to see the instances automatically assign channel 1 to first plugin instance, 2 to next etc.
If i recall well it should increments for each inserts ...might be wrong ...will have to chec' to confirm'.
Old 28th August 2019
  #254
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Yeah, my son has a Scarlet interface. He doesn't use the plugins so, I got it from him. I told him he wouldn't need it. LOL

Yeah, I would buy this plugin for $300 either.

Gotta love free though. LOL

Marc
Old 28th August 2019
  #255
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Yeah, my son has a Scarlet interface. He doesn't use the plugins so, I got it from him. I told him he wouldn't need it. LOL

Yeah, I would buy this plugin for $300 either.

Gotta love free though. LOL

Marc
ahahaha good idea , son gonna need an interface lol
Old 29th August 2019
  #256
Lives for gear
 
d.dot's Avatar
 

I logged in to make sure my control software was up to date. I couldn’t believe this strip was sitting in my account for the taking. Thanks Focusrite!
Old 29th August 2019
  #257
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
ahahaha good idea , son gonna need an interface lol
Old 13th September 2019
  #258
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaholic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I think you’re operating under the assumption that all digital eq plugins are simply digital curves ala Waves qclone... I think the tech has advanced further than that...

Check out Mixing with Mike’s sound examples on this plugin and it’s apparent what the poster was getting at...
Not really. It is very simple, there is simply nothing else except added saturation in the chain. If saturation is excluded all digital EQs are the same.

When you say the tech has advanced further than that, what else do you think is in there?
There is also phase response, dynamic interaction between bands, dynamic response based on amplitude, distortion (as you pointed out) and more, depending on the analog hardware model. Don’t be fooled by this old time EQ myth. It’s as simplified and incorrect as the term “CD quality” and the notion that digital is just zeros and ones, and there’s nothing more to it.

There’s a lot more to analog EQ modeling than curves and distortion.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #259
Lives for gear
 

SO who wants an ACTUAL TEST.....

I have 4 of the original 110 units from the desk that went to Metropolis studios in London


post a wetransfer.com link to the audio you want processed - max 3 tracks (one unit is sans knobs ATM


I'm doing laborious hard drive clean ups all eve
and am happy to pass some tracks through if people want an Ideal of the true comparison
Old 4 weeks ago
  #260
Lives for gear
 
poshook's Avatar
No matter how close to original this thing is I love the magic sound. It is definitely the right time for plugin clearance.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #261
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
No matter how close to original this thing is I love the magic sound. It is definitely the right time for plugin clearance.
Specifics on how you're exploiting the magic sound of this plug would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
prof
Old 1 week ago
  #262
Gear Maniac
Just picked up this plugin for free myself last night after purchasing a Red 8Pre (amazing interface btw).

I wasn't expecting to care about this plugin, but I quickly copied my settings from my bx SSL emulation on a vocal track, and was completely shocked at how different it sounded...and when I say different I mean clear and smoooooth. Like really smooth. The SSL sounds congested in the midrange with a less pleasant top end by comparison. I think at least on vocals I this may be my new go-to EQ.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump