The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SpectraLayers Pro 6 Now Available with New Power and More Features
Old 3rd July 2019
News Desk Editor

SpectraLayers Pro 6 Now Available with New Power and More Features-63490-large.jpg

Now part of the comprehensive Steinberg product portfolio, SpectraLayers Pro 6 comes with exciting new features and workflow integrations, providing an innovative way to edit audio in the spectral domain.

Steinberg today announced the immediate availability of SpectraLayers Pro 6. First distributed by Sony Creative Software and then by Magix Software, the developers behind SpectraLayers have now joined forces with Steinberg to release its sixth iteration.

Unlike other audio editors, SpectraLayers offers a novel approach to audio editing, allowing users to visualize audio in the spectral domain (in 2D and 3D) and to manipulate its spectral data in many different ways.

With its 25 advanced tools, SpectraLayers Pro 6 provides precision-editing within the spectral domain, comparable with the editing capabilities applied in high-performance photo editing software: modification, selection, measurement and drawing.

The features newly introduced in SpectraLayers Pro 6 include ARA 2 support; next to the standalone application, version 6 offers an ARA plug-in that seamlessly integrates into every ARA 2 compatible DAW, such as Nuendo and Cubase, to be used as a native editor. Fades along the selection border are one of the innovative features in SpectraLayers, and Pro 6 now includes visible fade masks and allows users to select from the many available fade types. SpectraLayers’ advanced selection engine now comprises nine revamped selection tools — including the new Transient Selector — making selections more flexible to use. The new Move tool helps users transform audio intuitively: grab layers to activate and move or scale them. What’s more, SpectraLayers Pro 6 provides external editor integration, allowing users to include other editor software so that any selection can be processed by them as well.

“This new version of SpectraLayers offers a refined and more intuitive user interface inspired by picture editors, and a brand-new selection system combining multiple fade masks, bringing spectral editing and remixing to a whole new level. We're also excited by the possibilities unlocked by the new ARA connection between SpectraLayers, Cubase and Nuendo, bringing spectral mixing and editing right within your DAW,” said Robin Lobel, creator of SpectraLayers.

The user interface of SpectraLayers Pro 6 has completely been redesigned to build on the original use of image editing software, and the result is a powerful, intuitive program that feels familiar right away. The menus have been redesigned and the panels are collapsible; the Layers panel is customizable; and users can now refer to comprehensive tool tip documentation and a new user manual.

Steinberg’s Marketing Manager Luis Dongo commented: “We are very excited to welcome SpectraLayers to our product portfolio. SpectraLayers nicely complements the other Steinberg products and can be integrated into Cubase and Nuendo as an ARA extension. This allows users to delve deeper into their audio files and edit them in the spectral domain without ever having to leave their DAW. And it even works together with WaveLab and HALion. With SpectraLayers, we can now offer every single tool necessary to make the most out of any audio signal!”

Availability and pricing

The full retail version of SpectraLayers Pro 6 is available as download through the Steinberg Online Shop at the suggested retail price of 399 euros, including German VAT, together with various downloadable updates from previous versions.

Key features

• Surgical and intuitive spectral editing with 25 real-time tools
• Advanced Selection Engine
• Selection-based effects
• The only visual transformation system for sound
• Tracks, Regions and Clips separated as Layers
• ARA 2 and AAX compatibility
• Integration of other audio editors, such as WaveLab or iZotope RX
• 12 remappable surround channels
• 2D and 3D visualization of the Spectrogram
• Native restoration effects, spectral noise reduction and reverb removal

For more information: www.steinberg.net/spectralayers
Attached Thumbnails
SpectraLayers Pro 6 Now Available with New Power and More Features-63490-large.jpg  
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Software Spectralayers 6 - BY STEINBERG, ARA2 integration, %50 off intro price till Aug 31st

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/vie...f=283&t=163721

Quote:
Dear Forum Members,

we are very pleased to welcome a new member to the Steinberg product family: SpectraLayers Pro 6.

SpectraLayers is a new approach to audio editing, with new concepts to transform the way you work. For the first time you can directly edit spectral data, opening advanced sonic worlds, and use innovative enhancements to traditional techniques. Visualize audio in astonishing new ways — including 3D, work with mixes as if they were tracks and integrate all of these abilities into your DAW and other tools.

Some of the key features in SpectraLayers are:

• Surgical and intuitive spectral editing with 25 real-time tools
• Advanced Selection Engine
• Selection-based effects
• The only visual transformation system for sound
• Tracks, Regions and Clips separated as Layers
• ARA 2 and AAX compatibility
• Integration of other audio editors, such as WaveLab or iZotope RX
• 12 remappable surround channels
• 2D and 3D visualization of the Spectrogram
• Native restoration effects, spectral noise reduction and reverb removal

And to welcome SpectraLayers into the Steinberg family, we are offering an introduction discount of 50% to all our customers until August 31, 2019.

Visit the SpectraLayers product page to find out more about this amazing audio editor and everything you can do with it.

All the best,
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Or just use Wavelab as your Sample/Spectral Editor...
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_English View Post
Or just use Wavelab as your Sample/Spectral Editor...
Because there must be NO as in ZERO difference between the two.
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

So is this the same SpectraLayers that used to be Sony... then Magix?... and now Steinberg has it?

Edit: Kinda weird. Because Magix still appears to be selling SpectraLayers 5. And this is SpectraLayers 6. Why 2 companies selling different versions of the same software?

I still have the last version Sony sold. Never updated because Magix would never offer a decent upgrade price. And being Magix, wasn't too sure about the future of the software.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
So is this the same SpectraLayers that used to be Sony... then Magix?... and now Steinberg has it?

Edit: Kinda weird. Because Magix still appears to be selling SpectraLayers 5. And this is SpectraLayers 6. Why 2 companies selling different versions of the same software?
Well, today is launch day, and Magix is, well... Magix... so there is going to be a little overlap during the transition as Magix figures things out. I look at the transition to Steinberg as a very good thing for a lot of reasons.

In any case, SL6 is awesome... great upgrade, and the upgrade pricing is very reasonable. ARA2 support, great interoperability. Amazing tools. Easy purchase.

For those not familiar with what this can do, I'd highly suggest you check out the videos to get an idea. While there is spectral editing in other apps, nothing comes close to the Photoshop-like tools you have SL. Pretty much a beast. And now with ARA2 and easy use with Cubase, Nuendo, WaveLab, lots of other DAWs, etc., it's a no-brainer IMO.
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uarte View Post
For those not familiar with what this can do, I'd highly suggest you check out the videos to get an idea.
Will this make my music sound like Max Martins?
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Addict

I already have Izotope RX 7 Standard, what would be the benefit for me with this one?.

Daniel.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
I already have Izotope RX 7 Standard, what would be the benefit for me with this one?.

Daniel.
Exactly my question. I'd appreciate if someone could explain this in terms of what can be achieved with it, rather than how it does what it does. What I mean is: I'm reading explanations about how it is the only truly spectral editing tool, about it's unique approach to editing audio, the ARA integration and integration with Cubase in general etc...But all of these explanations refer to internal processes and workflow. What I really want to know is: What can it do that RX7 can't? Because if it's worth it, the introductory price is certainly very fair.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post

Daniel.
Steinberg needs to release a demo to help show the difference and actually how they compliment each other.

So there's plenty of overlap between RX and SL... and it's easy to conclude that if you have one, you don't need the other. But they work very well together and actually expand and enhance what the other does IMO.

Basically, the way I look at it, is that RX is a collection of very well designed algorithms for specific tasks... such as... breath control, de-clicking, de-reverberating, de-noising, etc., and general spectral repair with a basic set of spectral selection tools that work well for many restoration and scrubbing tasks. It's a great tool, and everyone can probably benefit from it.

SpectraLayers Pro overlaps with several of those specific tasks that RX is designed for, but the key to understanding what makes SL special is the kinds of spectral selection and manipulation tools that it has, and how SL layers work. Just your ability to select spectral regions is *vastly* more flexible and advanced than RX... you have everything from a spectral magic wand to lasso, to polygonal selector, to harmonic selector, and more, all with Photoshop-like flexibility of blending/crossfading edges... and THEN you can manipulate your spectral selections... and do simple things like repairing/drawing/amplifying/extracting frequencies but also far more amazing things like cloning, transposing, time compressing, "spraying" those extremely precise spectral selections across layers just like you could do amazing things to graphics in Photoshop. And just like Photoshop, SpectraLayers Pro can be purely technical and forensic, but ALSO super creative and open-ended.

So where RX leaves off with a specific task, SL can take you into spectral sculpting and entirely new areas of sound design. But it can also be used for unique spectral alignment tasks, repair a performance instead of just clean it, brush away transients or noise or reverb, for example. It's honestly like diving into the spectral rainbow of audio and playing with it in ways that are not possible with any other app. And yes, it can cover a lot of the bases of RX, but RX is fine-tuned for those specific tasks that it is designed for... SL is NOT as fine-tuned for those same specific tasks, but rather has much more open-ended tools. Sometimes you want to have both at your disposal.

Hope that helps a little. There's not really a box you can put SpectraLayers in very well, since it's unique, and that's probably why it hasn't thrived as much as it could have under Sony's and Magix' stewardship. One hopes that Steinberg will figure out a way to present SpectraLayers in a way that people will understand better.

Bottom line is that if you already have RX and you *only* need very specific tasks done and RX already covers those specific tasks, then RX will probably be just fine for you. BUT if you have ever wondered about exploring your sound spectrally in an organic and free-form way... and if you want to metaphorically control the size, shape and color of the "brush" you use in audio, and then paint and spray and clone and repair and scrub and transform your way through spectral elements, then SpectraLayers is something you'll want to use.

Last edited by uarte; 3rd July 2019 at 07:13 PM..
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
Exactly my question. I'd appreciate if someone could explain this in terms of what can be achieved with it, rather than how it does what it does. What I mean is: I'm reading explanations about how it is the only truly spectral editing tool, about it's unique approach to editing audio, the ARA integration and integration with Cubase in general etc...But all of these explanations refer to internal processes and workflow. What I really want to know is: What can it do that RX7 can't? Because if it's worth it, the introductory price is certainly very fair.
Spectralayers ...in its most useful task for me....allows me to de-mix mixed stereo....And...mono tracks. It's historical approach is sorta like that old photosounder demix program, but spectralayers added more tweak capability over the years.

Spectralayers is still not as good as Burnsee's Isolate was.... But it's getting closer to Isolate's effectiveness each gen.

I keep asking Denis at zynaptiq for he and stephen to revive Isolate. We talked about it four months ago again. I dunno what they will do...but if they DO revive Isolate with some re-coding Denis mentioned would be necessary....it would imo, blow away anything spectralayers/audioanimix etc are able to do. There's just something about stephen's coding ability that can grab audio stuff cleanly from deep down in mixes.

All that said, demixing isn't for everyone. It's a labor of love, time-consuming for some types of audio surgery....but when you get it....it works extremely well for recreating multitracks to remix.

I find melodyne can do rudimentary demixing, but it can get artifacty.

I wouldn't really use spectralayers back and forth from cubase. I use it between sound forge a lot when I'm de-mixing various elements out of snip areas of larger mixes. Eventually, extracted stuff is imported into cubase as the new multitrack is rebuilt.

Spectralayers us hyped for doing other stuff, but I only use it for surgical extractions, total noise/hum reduction on tape transfers etc. The program is very fast for zapping tape noise. You can instantly a/b lots of percentage settings to choose what you want, easily draw out cycle hum without affecting material. And like I say, pulling out individual voices of 3pt harmony (along with all the freq cycles)..or knocking out instruments to isolate.....is getting better.

With yamaha money behind spectralayers, the developer guy may now make some quantum leaps.

But imo, what we really need right now is Denis and stephen burnsee to blow everyone else away with a new release of Isolate.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainCheck123 View Post
Because there must be NO as in ZERO difference between the two.
From my vantage point 400 differences...
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
No, only 200. Half price introduction offer
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Some people make 400 a day, of which a difference in software could double productivity.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainCheck123 View Post
Some people make 400 a day, of which a difference in software could double productivity.
Some... just some.

Daniel.
Old 4th July 2019
Advice please... Which, of RX and SpectraLayers, would you recommend for the best balance of good audible result and ease of use to cure some typical artifacts related to early "inferior" digital recordings in the mastering stage?

Every now and then I receive material from artist who wants to re-release material from their early and not-so-experienced days.
Most of the cases the tracks are recorded with consumer interfaces from the late 90's. They are often clipped, normalized to death, and all tracks slamming plugin limiters.

To restore transients and give it some spaciousness etc. I re-record with suitable outboards (EQ's and through RND 5042's beefy line X-formers) in combination with tools like a stock de-clipper, Fabfilter Pro-MB/Pro-DS, DMG Limitless and dynamic EQ.

Would any of the two options speed up the workflow and possibly (depending on my skills to use it properly) give better results? Or would these tools be close to redundant for me?
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the explanation, guys!
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Bought it yesterday, spent many hours with it, it's not ready for combat yet, too many bugs, it stalls, it crashes, it's slow, spinning beachballs everywhere...not convincing.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Addict
They love drooling over the tech specs and the fancy graphics in their videos, but they never demonstrate a solid audio example which shows how it can do things other software can't.
Old 4th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
They love drooling over the tech specs and the fancy graphics in their videos, but they never demonstrate a solid audio example which shows how it can do things other software can't.
I missed that as well. Let's hope someone's working on that.
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

So no one using these tools has any concern about Phase?
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampleconstruct View Post
Bought it yesterday, spent many hours with it, it's not ready for combat yet, too many bugs, it stalls, it crashes, it's slow, spinning beachballs everywhere...not convincing.
Sounds like we're back up to 400 reasons

Any way, as far as the argument that "Some people make 400 a day, of which a difference in software could double productivity. ".... Soo would hiring an Assistant or an Intern... Doubling Productivity doesn't always equate to more $$$... At least in my experience...

Anyway, just like Melodyne, Autotune and Vocalign, Steinberg will eventually license a portion of the code, and it'll be a Feature update in the Sample Editor... eventually...

I'm sure it's great for the Post guys, but Steinberg's marketing seems a lil off target...
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Addict

So many experts here, in my experience, slutz are only experts on doing one thing.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sounds like we're back up to 400 reasons

Any way, as far as the argument that "Some people make 400 a day, of which a difference in software could double productivity. ".... Soo would hiring an Assistant or an Intern... Doubling Productivity doesn't always equate to more $$$... At least in my experience...

Anyway, just like Melodyne, Autotune and Vocalign, Steinberg will eventually license a portion of the code, and it'll be a Feature update in the Sample Editor... eventually...

I'm sure it's great for the Post guys, but Steinberg's marketing seems a lil off target...
You know nothing if you just suggested an Intern as an increase in productivity - maybe long term, but interns are a time investment - someone you are essentially giving an education to in return for work.

An assistant costs money, either a salary, or a sizable hourly because they already did the intern thing and are worth their weight - they still cost money continuous money vs a one time software purchase.

What is it about their marketing that is off? I asked for this in feature requests maybe 3 full versions ago, I made the point that this level of editing and spectro editing will become the standard and it would be great to have it in Cubase either as a standard included product (I'm going to guess an SE version will soon be included) or a standalone.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Head
I use Cubase and Wavelab. Although Wavelab has spectral editing, it's not (fairly obviously) as fully featured as Spectralayers. I deliberated long and hard over RX7 but, for a number of reasons I won't go into here, it just didn't convince me to part with the cash.

Spectralayers Pro gives more direct and more powerful control over editing, layering is a key selling point and it integrates nicely with Cubase now that has ARA support.

I'm hoping the developers at Steinberg will, in time, upgrade the product and provide a more comprehensive feature set edging it closer to RX7 in comparison.

At the current 50% off introductory offer, it seems worth investing in so I have. Time will tell I suppose.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampleconstruct View Post
Thank you for that. As far as I'm concerned, if their best sales pitch opportunity, i.e., all the videos I just watched on their site, fail to produce ONE SINGLE audible example of the output - then I don't think it's ready for primetime. And, why has it changed hands so many times? Magix couldn't make any money off of it, surely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
Yep. The worst lack of examples. Should win a Guinness for that, as no other product can beat it. (being that it literally had zero examples!)

Anyway I'm spent out on all these specials. I already have the latest RX (not the big version, the regular one in the bundle) and have never touched it. I wouldn't want to miss a deal but I would need a lot of proof that this works reliably and sounds good. I mean, I have Melodyne's top version that can do polyphonic manipulation, and it's quite good on a choir or piano chords, etc.... but this on a whole mix? And what about these cheap tools that you see on sale that can do the same and give you stems? This seems like a lot of work to learn and also seems certain it will only evolve greatly over the next few versions. Not only could they not generate any audio examples, but they failed to mention any use cases! I mean, would this replace EQ, compression, etc., in the DAW? Now that could be exciting. But I doubt it... would be massive overkill, right? So then who cares about it being ARA2 or not?
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc4rter View Post
I use Cubase and Wavelab. Although Wavelab has spectral editing, it's not (fairly obviously) as fully featured as Spectralayers. I deliberated long and hard over RX7 but, for a number of reasons I won't go into here, it just didn't convince me to part with the cash.

Spectralayers Pro gives more direct and more powerful control over editing, layering is a key selling point and it integrates nicely with Cubase now that has ARA support.

I'm hoping the developers at Steinberg will, in time, upgrade the product and provide a more comprehensive feature set edging it closer to RX7 in comparison.

At the current 50% off introductory offer, it seems worth investing in so I have. Time will tell I suppose.
By the way, did you shoot out WaveLab with any other editors? I am considering it but don't really need it and am hoping they might do a deeper sale sometime. Maybe I should just get the Lite version for now? I mean, the pro version, it just adds a lot of built in processes? But if I am cool using RX and all my other plugins, and just want a simplified app to edit wave files and do master, Lite could do it? Every half year I compare the versions but then they update, etc. Maybe I should just get a cheaper alternative. No one ever seems to sell their WaveLab license, either.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Addict

Guys, this is Spectralayers 6...... SIX. It's a product that has been out for over 6 years.

It's ready for combat, it just has a few quirks to be mindful of.

Stop being such whiney cvnts, it's extremely useful just for the use of spectrogram alone. That alone is worth $300.
Old 5th July 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys. Seriously considering this with the 50% off. I have the first Rx and havent really used it much, but the ARA 2 looks awesome for Cubase integration, and the additional features look good, especially for creative use.

How does Spectralayers work as a standard audio editor? Have used GoldWave for many years now, and it works fine, but for workflow reasons having something like SL seems awesome. Cant allow myself to purchase Wavelab due to the pricing, just to mention that.

For someone who not very often dabble with sample editing, but are planning to do this somewhat more, would you still recommend SL? Seems like a good deal.

PS: Is it possible to have bpm and bars in the ruler in SL?
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Maniac
To be honest I still don't get what it DOES. I guess I need to wait for better demos to come out. Not going to drop 2 bills on something I can't even imagine of needing (that I don't really need)...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search