SpectraLayers Pro 6 Now Available with New Power and More Features - Page 3 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SpectraLayers Pro 6 Now Available with New Power and More Features
Old 8th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainCheck123 View Post
I sort of felt bad.

But then realized, I can't get playback to stop when inside Spectralayers via ARA2. I would have been hot headed on their forums if this is a legit bug and paid full
Yeah, I mean, I've played with it only 10 minutes... but this is an "early" release I feel. I would expect them to add the right click tool palette to match Cubase, but whatever. But more importantly - I am on a 1440p monitor with 125% scaling, and for some reason, the interface is still very, very tiny! I guess I have to play with WIndows DPI override for it or something. (I've never had to do that for any application since switching back to Windows about 3-4 years ago.) I guess it's not surprising, considering C10 only just added hi-DPI support, and it's lackluster there still (useless for plugin windows, for example).

Also for some reason, I cannot get it to work with ASIO, have to use WASAPI.

But I did try the tools - it's pretty easy to use! The noise sprayer is nice. A very hands on way of making your own custom noise sample. Used the harmonics tool to select what looked like the kick in a full mix, and it took it right out - sounds better than just eqing the bottom end off!

I like how you can tilt your view from above, very nice eye candy.

I never got around to using my RX7, but man, this tool is pretty cool, I must say. Probably take a few months to fix the little bugs like what you mentioned, if it is a bug (I assume it is, but how would they not find that on their own... )... but yeah, I dig this!

Hmm I did the inverse though and only kept the kick, but it did have a bit of the bass with it.

Other weird thing is, when you select harmonics then delete, and try to play, it won't - you have to select a range with the range tool, then single click to cancel the range, then it will play. I guess it has some range still selected even though you deleted it and it shows no range. Probably some shortcut to clear selection is all that's needed, but not intuitive with the way wave editors would normally work (i.e., you just click anywhere to undo any selection and set playhead to where you click, and it will just play from there).
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=GBP;14082704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmusic View Post
You guys see this video at 1.25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBfxz9fLrvQ

Audio > Extensions > Spectralayers
Yes, I see that was an alternate way of doing it. I did figure that out yesterday. But he looks to be clicking a short cut when he selects the track to do this? I was wondering if there was a way to do it that way?

Thanks

EDIT:
Just figured it out from another forum post:

"this is a settings menu that can be opened by holding Ctrl/Alt and right clicking on a highlighted event"
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP View Post
Comes up fine in Cubase but in studio 4 it hasn’t come up in the audio “drop down “ menu.
As a new insertion as a plugin on a track, there is a caption saying “ No ARA data. Make sure the plugin is assigned as an ARA plugin”.
Yep.. that's the same point I had reached with trying to use SpectraLayers in Studio One.

However, I DID get it working this morning with this reply I got at Steinberg's forum:

"Unfortunately the only way to use it as an ARA plugin in S1 is to drag and drop it onto an audio region from the Effects tab while holding the Alt key. Not the most intuitive. Seems that S1 has a policy of only making an ARA shortcut for the plugins they can distribute in their own store."
Lives for gear

This demo video sold me on SpectraLayers...

This is the demo video that made me jump on buying SpectraLayers:

Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockafella View Post
By the way, did you shoot out WaveLab with any other editors?
No. I just trialed it and checked that it gave me all the features I needed for mastering my own projects. It did and it seemed a logical step to go with a product that had full compatibility with Cubase. I was holding back on it with the full price though but when their 30% sale was introduced, I went for it. Steinberg don't seem to have that many sales on their main products.
Old 9th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
This is the demo video that made me jump on buying SpectraLayers:

Well now that is the best demo I've seen yet! (granted I haven't looked too hard, hehe) I don't get why Steinberg isn't putting an actual usage demo anywhere on their site. Informational too, I hadn't seen the magic select precision yet, just like in Photoshop! Probably explains why my quick test was pulling out the kick AND the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc4rter View Post
No. I just trialed it and checked that it gave me all the features I needed for mastering my own projects. It did and it seemed a logical step to go with a product that had full compatibility with Cubase. I was holding back on it with the full price though but when their 30% sale was introduced, I went for it. Steinberg don't seem to have that many sales on their main products.
Yeah I got the Pro too... I think sometimes they might do 40%, but sometimes not, and they do sales so infrequently on any one particular item, I am never sure if it's once a year or twice a year (I think Cubase has sales more often but not the others... maybe expansions are twice a year too as I just saw they're doing 50% off on that and I know they just did similar for Black Friday or earlier this year).

I have also been demoing Samplitude Pro X4, as it can do very similar things to Montage... also has some nice metering and layouts built in that work for mastering. But I don't know if it's as good with metadata (it must be, but I didn't get that far). And even though it can be configured to a layout that looks like a wave editor, the tools are just not similar to a wave editor's. I might still get it used though and upgrade just to have around. I don't know though, I really dislike Magix as a company. They barely update anything yet charge 80% of full license price for upgrades, and sales are not much off. I am surprised they gave up Spectralayers, I always saw it and thought "oooooh, now THAT is one nice trick they have up their sleeve!" Now I kinda wish Yamaha and Steinberg would just buy out the rest of their audio stuff (video too? hehe), and actually modernize it - i.e., integrate Acid loops into Cubase (wouldn't that be crazy?), and pull some of Samplitude's tricks in as well. (although they've gotten most of them now)
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way, did you shoot out WaveLab with any other editors? I am considering it but don't really need it and am hoping they might do a deeper sale sometime. Maybe I should just get the Lite version for now? I mean, the pro version, it just adds a lot of built in processes? But if I am cool using RX and all my other plugins, and just want a simplified app to edit wave files and do master, Lite could do it? Every half year I compare the versions but then they update, etc. Maybe I should just get a cheaper alternative. No one ever seems to sell their WaveLab license, either.
Wavelab is, and has been for ~2 decades, on of those "it just works" programs. If you want simple wave editing, there's probably a suitable cheaper alternative but idk what lite costs.
Wavelab has a foothold on a subset of mastering engineers, and for good reason. But for just general editing, overkill.
--pause--
Checked out sbergs site. Wavelab Elements for $99 looks like a hell of a deal. It's a different workflow(aren't they all) but considering what you get with it and the general reliability, it's a solid deal for general editing. I'm a couple revs back so I know I've missed a lot but if it's half as solid as 8, you're good. Take the plunge.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well now that is the best demo I've seen yet! (granted I haven't looked too hard, hehe) I don't get why Steinberg isn't putting an actual usage demo anywhere on their site. Informational too, I hadn't seen the magic select precision yet, just like in Photoshop! Probably explains why my quick test was pulling out the kick AND the bass.
THANKS for posting that @ Jim Rosebrook

In one 10min video more info on this thing than in all the Steinberg ads I've seen so far. Actually might pull the trigger on this right now, seems like a cool tool, especially given the introductory price.
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit View Post
it's a solid deal for general editing. I'm a couple revs back so I know I've missed a lot but if it's half as solid as 8, you're good. Take the plunge.
There are many problems with WL 9.5 (Pro and Elements) and third party plug ins, combined with an ignorance to deal with that in a general way. For simple editing WL is usable, but for complex mastering purposes I use Nuendo, which handles the aforementioned third party plug ins with ease and totally reliable.
Old 10th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Wavelab is, and has been for ~2 decades, on of those "it just works" programs. If you want simple wave editing, there's probably a suitable cheaper alternative but idk what lite costs.
Wavelab has a foothold on a subset of mastering engineers, and for good reason. But for just general editing, overkill.
--pause--
Checked out sbergs site. Wavelab Elements for $99 looks like a hell of a deal. It's a different workflow(aren't they all) but considering what you get with it and the general reliability, it's a solid deal for general editing. I'm a couple revs back so I know I've missed a lot but if it's half as solid as 8, you're good. Take the plunge.
Yeah plus it's on sale for 30% off too (Elements). Pro was quite a deep plunge for me. Hopefully it will be worth it! Seems like a good wave editor - I mean, heck, for the price, it should be! I thought it was a bit convoluted to get to the Reverse (two sub menus down to the Sample type of modifications, then reverse). Hopefully there's a way to shortcut for that.

I figure with Samplitude Pro X3 on deck also, which I'll upgrade either soon or whenever they have a sale or Pro X5 comes out, I am covered... (since Samplitude is pretty much Sequoia, minus some features I don't need)

If I really don't like WaveLab Pro for editing, I can just get Sound Forge Music Studio for $60, or a used SF Pro 11, or something. (I still like Sound Forge's default playback characteristics for example... like, you select a range, and space bar plays that range once and that's it... I think I saw the other alternative playback commands in WL Pro so it's probably just a matter of customzing, again... but SF Pro has reverse right there in the popup, too.)
Old 10th July 2019
Old 5th September 2019 | Show parent
kdm
Lives for gear
I got it to work in Studio One, Cubase and Standalone, but it crashes too much to really test it. I end up making a couple of edits in a test audio file and it crashes.

I like Spectralayers, and from what I've seen, I would prefer it to RX, but it really needs to be more stable.
Old 6th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Heads up - new version (6.0.30) just released.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...alayers_6.html

---

The Save As and Export functions now use the project folder by default.
Playback no longer stops when repositioning the playhead.
Initializing ARA no longer renders the application unreliable.
The Undo command now works as expected after creating a group with layers.
The Undo command now works as expected when using Paste to a new layer.
ARA playhead synchronization has been improved for editing multiple regions.
ARA layer activation now works as expected when editing multiple regions.
The AAX plug-in now transfers data correctly.
Brush settings now work as expected.
Old 24th February 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
--pause--
Checked out sbergs site. Wavelab Elements for $99 looks like a hell of a deal. It's a different workflow(aren't they all) but considering what you get with it and the general reliability, it's a solid deal for general editing sambad result . I'm a couple revs back so I know I've missed a lot but if it's half as solid as 8 pm, you're good. Take the plunge.
Hm... the reboot thing might be due to the switch from "SpectraLayers Pro" to "SpectraLayers" (starting from 6.0.30, it's a unified installer for both Pro and Elements) - the new installer uninstalling any previous instance of "SpectraLayers Pro", which might be the reason for the reboot.

Duly noted on the export folder issue.
Old 3rd May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Version 7 imminent it seems.
Hoping for VST host support like iZotope RX but I would want more than the 1 plugin limit.
Being able to surgically apply a VST to layers or selected / lassood frequency areas is awesome.
Old 3rd June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

has anyone bought the old Sound Forge 13 suite number from Magix. Did you get the serial and activation from Steinberg or Magix?

I am confused by the wording on their site and not sure if its just a typo from before the product transitioned ownership. The manufacturer is stated as Magix. Does that mean there are still versions of Spectral Layers 6 being sold to public that are packaged by Magix before the product transitions to Steinberg?

Quote:
Steinberg SpectraLayers Pro 6

Advanced Audio Spectrum Editor
Hide product features

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 | 8 | 10 (64-bit systems), Mac OS X 10.7 or higher
Language: English
Includes: 1 serial number & download link, 1 Installation / activation instruction
Availability: After confirming your purchase
Manufacturer: MAGIX
Category: Audio

Delivery method: Instant download
Old 19th June 2020 | Show parent
GBP
Gear Addict

Spectralayers tutorial

https://youtu.be/GIF1eVPE9VM

Very good basic fundamental tutorial with concepts......

Looking forward to version 7.
Old 22nd June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Is there anything SpetraLayers Pro 6 can do better than Hit'n'Mix' Infinity? Or that Spectralayers can do and Infinity can't?

I´m just curious.
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Maniac
Unexpectedly Spectralayers 7 released
https://new.steinberg.net/spectralayers/
📝 Reply