The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Launches 3rd-Generation Scarlett Range
Old 2nd July 2019
News Desk Editor

Focusrite Launches 3rd-Generation Scarlett Range-scarlett_3rdgen_square_hr.jpg

Los Angeles, CA, July 2, 2019 – Focusrite announces the 3rd generation of its Scarlett range of USB interfaces. The Scarlett range has already helped make more records than any other in history, and with the 3rd generation, you’ll sound better than ever. Featuring six configurations of ins and outs with the best performing Scarlett mic preamps the range has ever heard, now with Air, high headroom instrument inputs, and high-performance converters, Scarlett is enabling millions of musicians, songwriters and producers to record, mix and play back audio in studio quality everywhere, all the time.

Scarlett 3rd Gen takes everything a step further:

Upgraded audio performance
Focusrite has been making mic preamps for 30 years, and the 3rd Gen mic pre is the best Scarlett has ever experienced. The 24-bit/192kHz converters give your recordings clarity, whilst Air mode breathes life into vocals, adding unique high-end detail. Our decades of experience mean Scarlett sounds just like you.

An interface for everyone
The 3rd Generation of Focusrite’s best-selling interface range includes I/O configurations to suit almost any situation. Choose from Solo, 2i2, 4i4 8i6, 18i8 or 18i20. The new 4i4 and 8i6 add more line I/O vs the 2nd Gen 2i4 and 6i6. New Solo and 2i2 Studio Packs are also available, with Scarlett HP60 MkIII headphone and CM25 MkIII condenser microphone included - perfect for starting your recording journey.

Breathe life into your recordings
The upgraded mic preamps can reproduce the Air effect of Focusrite’s original ISA mic preamp, giving vocals and acoustic music a brighter and more spacious sound.

New interactive Quick Start
The easiest interfaces on the market to get up and running – Focusrite’s Quick Start tool will speed you through registration and guide you through setting up software and drivers.

Low-latency rock-solid USB driver
USB latency so low you won't notice it: record and monitor everything in real time with many of your favourite plug-ins in place.

Type-C USB connection
Utilising the latest USB connectivity for greater versatility: just plug into your laptop using the supplied USB-C to USB-A cable whenever and wherever you want to record.

Improved inputs and outputs
Instrument inputs with impressive headroom, additional line-level inputs for flexible recording setups, and balanced TRS outputs to eliminate speaker hum.

Intuitive monitoring features
Focusrite’s iconic gain halos light up to indicate input levels, making it easy to get distortion-free recordings.

On top of Scarlett’s new features, musicians and engineers can of course still rely on the peace of mind and added extras they’ve come to expect from Focusrite. Every Scarlett interface comes with a whole range of software tools including:

Ableton® Live Lite™
Pro Tools® | First Focusrite Creative Pack
Free three-month Splice Sounds subscription
XLN Audio Addictive Keys
Focusrite Red Plug-in Suite
Softube Time & Tone Bundle.

Plus a two-year warranty and membership of the Focusrite Plug-In Collective, offering regular free software downloads and generous discounts.

For more information: https://focusrite.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Focusrite Launches 3rd-Generation Scarlett Range-scarlett_3rdgen_square_hr.jpg  
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Nut

Have latency figures been improved too ?
Curious to know " so low that you won't hear.. latency".

Is Clarett 3Pre USB also coming ?
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Maniac

Wondering how this compares to the Clarett 4Pre USB I bought a few months ago. I feel like the 4i4 would have suited me better but I had no way of knowing this was coming, of course. Also curious about the latency thing. Hopefully JackFocustrite chimes in here soon.
Old 3rd July 2019
Here for the gear
I'm curious as to why some websites press releases mention a loopback feature but the official Focusrite web page and this announcement here fail to mention it. Was it removed last minute? Is it able to be re-enabled through a software update? I only ask because I purchased a Clarett USB right when it was released and while the original thunderbolt Clarett does have the loopback function the USB Clarett was gimped and had the loopback removed. Now, there's a new version of the Scarlett which is supposedly a step down from the Clarett with "air" modes and whatnot and supposedly a sleeping loopback function. Will I ever have a fully function Clarett? Can the functions be eventually enabled?
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

The new 8i6 looks good - I'd love to have 2 more inputs on my 6i6g2. However, For some reason they went with a cheaper headphone amp, at least on paper. It's a definite power downgrade from 13dbu to 7dbu, such that it wouldn't be able to push my 250ohm cans to a satisfactory level, whereas the 6i6g2 has just enough range when the mix is turned down to turn up the headphone volume.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi all!

Just to clear up a couple of questions I can see have been asked already:

- The latency performance of the Gen 3s is pretty much exactly the same as both Clarett USB and the 2nd Gen range on both Windows and Mac.
- Loopback is present on Gen 3 4i4, 8i6, 18i8 and 18i20.
- There's more to the headphone specs than just the power output. We've tested the new design with a variety of different headphone models here, with a wide impedance range without issue. Unfortunately it's often difficult to say whether a particular headphone model is likely to work well with a particular headphone amp design without testing that combination first!

Best,
Jack // Focusrite Tech Support
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

do these interfaces need a registration process?

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3rd July 2019 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: edited for clarification
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Maniac

@ deedeeyeah

You don't need to register any of our products, including the 3rd Gen Scarletts, if you don't wish to. All of the necessary software/drivers for our interfaces are available in the Downloads section of our site with no registration gateway: https://focusrite.com/downloads

If you want access to some of the optional free 3rd party software that we bundle with some of our products (e.g. Ableton Live Lite/Pro Tools First, plugin offers etc.) then you do need to register to obtain those. That's somewhat necessary as, if we didn't put a registration gateway in front of those items, we'd essentially be giving away 3rd party software to everyone, not just those who have legitimately purchased a qualifying product!

Best,
Jack
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

i appreciate the clarification: i was obviously given wrong information by a local music store...
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Thumbs up for USB-C connection
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut

@ Jack , Hi! I have just downloaded new driver 3.2.1. I use Ableton 10.1 DAW.

1) At 192Khz 32 Samples, earlier reported latency used to be 2.98 ms, now it has increased to 3.01 ms
At 192Khz 128 Samples, earlier reported latency used to be 3.81ms, noe it has increased to 3.84 ms.

2) I had earlier a Behringer UMC22, it had minimum 48 samples, and Ableton used to show and accept that. But why with
focusrtie drivers, Ableton only works in 32/64/128 and so on samples only ?

3) Mixer is disabled at 192Khz sample rate, which was always available to prior drivers.

4) Focusrite Control Panel window upon closing takes some time with message showin ""Closing... "

Why suddenly with this version ?
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Maniac

@ Ziko123

In direct answer to your questions:

1) We've increased the accuracy of our latency reporting. It looks like we were 0.03ms out with out latency reporting for your particular device at those sample rate + buffer size combinations in the previous build you were using, apologies.

2) I'm not too sure why Ableton in particular doesn't expose those additional buffer size options but that's perhaps something that we can investigate at some point. Different DAWs expose different options so it may be that we have no control over what Ableton in particular exposes.

3) The internal Custom Mix ability is disabled on Clarett USB, 2nd Gen Scarlett and 3rd Gen Scarletts when at 176.4/192kHz sample rates (it's not disabled on Clarett Thunderbolt or Red Range products). This has always been the case, though there was a bug with a previous version of Focusrite Control that you may have been using which prevented the "Mixer is disabled" text from showing in some circumstances, which I suspect is what you were seeing. In that situation the mixer screen would appear to have been working, however you would have found that no audio would actually pass through the mixer at 176.4/192kHz sample rates.

4) There are lots of improvements to Focusrite Control in this version. The app does now take slightly longer to close (by a couple of seconds) than it did with previous versions, hopefully that's not too much of a hindrance to your workflow.

Best,
Jack

Last edited by JackFocusrite; 3rd July 2019 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: clarified point 2
Old 3rd July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFocusrite View Post
Hi all!

Just to clear up a couple of questions I can see have been asked already:

- The latency performance of the Gen 3s is pretty much exactly the same as both Clarett USB and the 2nd Gen range on both Windows and Mac.
- Loopback is present on Gen 3 4i4, 8i6, 18i8 and 18i20.
- There's more to the headphone specs than just the power output. We've tested the new design with a variety of different headphone models here, with a wide impedance range without issue. Unfortunately it's often difficult to say whether a particular headphone model is likely to work well with a particular headphone amp design without testing that combination first!

Best,
So is there a chance that the Clarett USB will get the loopback function like the thunderbolt version since you all were able to implement it on the USB Scarletts?
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut

Thank you so much Jack, for sharing in detail. It's such a warm and nice feeling to have direct conversation with you, asking queries and giving feedbacks.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Wonder whether the adc chip (the old cs4272) from 2nd gen got updated as well.

Not sure about the front panel design change on the 18i20. I liked how the previous one was matte and understated
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Is there finally reverb in the hardware monitoring utility app ?
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Is there finally reverb in the hardware monitoring utility app ?
Are you referring to Focusrite Control? Scarlett 3rd Generation utilises the same version of Focusrite Control as our other ranges. This doesn't feature reverb or dynamic processing of any kind.

John // Focusrite UK
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Nut

Any info on DAC/ADC chips used?
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Loftus View Post
Are you referring to Focusrite Control? Scarlett 3rd Generation utilises the same version of Focusrite Control as our other ranges. This doesn't feature reverb or dynamic processing of any kind.

John // Focusrite UK

Yes, I was referring to Focusrite control.

Thank you for the quick answer.

(I always had problems with Focusrite audio interfaces drivers on windows systems, (Scarlett gen2, saffire, I thought I'll give Focusrite another chance if the Focusrite control software had reverb in it..)

But I really really miss Focusrite Liquid Mix,
it was an amazing product with the best sounding EQs and Compressors.
Sounded just as good as real hardware, none of the plugins come close to it
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPiTFiREgr View Post
Any info on DAC/ADC chips used?
We haven't shared any details on that yet but we'll look into it and try to get that information for you.

John // Focusrite UK
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Yes, I was referring to Focusrite control.

Thank you for the quick answer.

(I always had problems with Focusrite audio interfaces drivers on windows systems, (Scarlett gen2, saffire, I thought I'll give Focusrite another chance if the Focusrite control software had reverb in it..)

But I really really miss Focusrite Liquid Mix,
it was an amazing product with the best sounding EQs and Compressors.
Sounded just as good as real hardware, none of the plugins come close to it
Glad to hear you were a fan of Liquid Mix. I agree, it really was a great product. If memory serves, that was discontinued back in 2010 and sadly, due to the complexity of the product and new developments in OS, DAW and plug-in technology, we are unfortunately no longer able to support the Liquid Mix with software updates and bug fixes.

Sorry you had problems, did you discuss this with our tech support team?

John // Focusrite UK
Old 6th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Wondering why - on paper, so to speak - the headphone amp of the 8i6 is so much less powerful than the 6i6g2. The 6i6g2 adequately powers my 250ohm DT880s... unless I'm misunderstanding, the 8i6 would not.
Product / Market segmentation perhaps. It’s normal business practice (not blaming here). The G3 appears to be an across the board update (though want to see a confirmation on whether new and better adc / dad chips are used) but I would also expect Focusrite wants to keep the scarletts suffiently segmented from the higher end clarett range (which still has better specs though), so they may or may not have intentionally downgraded the headphone aspect a bit. Not sure though.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear
Just bought a 6i6 gen 2 last week any reason i should get my money back and get the gen 3. I mean this thing fits my needs but i spent $300.00 on something last Friday thats now worth $100.00. Any idea if the converters pres headphone amps etc are that much better. and pre gain is. Is it worth it. Im using a new iPad air 10.5 for a mobile rig compatibility is good. What would ya do.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear
When I saw the announcement about the Scarlett 3 in my email, I was stunned. It is just a couple of weeks after I gave up my battle with the drivers (Scarlett 18i8 gen2) and moved on to RME.
It is a bizarre strategy. I'd rather spend resources on improving the user experience, making more compatible drivers and a smooth interaction with DAWs.
What's the point having all the good pres, i/o if most what you'll be hearing will be WTF why this thing pops and crackles when I open another audio app.
I hope I am wrong.
Old 7th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
do these interfaces need a registration process?
You'd be crazy not to register - focusrite gives away great plugins consistently, monthly deals and giveaways, if you are a registered member. I got the eventide xhannel.strip and Exponential Audio Phoenix reverb free just for having registered my saffire years ago. Those are premium plugins.
Old 7th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
When I saw the announcement about the Scarlett 3 in my email, I was stunned. It is just a couple of weeks after I gave up my battle with the drivers (Scarlett 18i8 gen2) and moved on to RME.
It is a bizarre strategy. I'd rather spend resources on improving the user experience, making more compatible drivers and a smooth interaction with DAWs.
What's the point having all the good pres, i/o if most what you'll be hearing will be WTF why this thing pops and crackles when I open another audio app.
I hope I am wrong.
about pops and crackles with Focusrite interfaces I heard that from so many people, hopefully this has been fixed in gen3
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Head

They purposefully changed the drivers for the first generation which added heavy latency and connection issues when the second generation came out. Seems to be some sort of plan to get people to upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd generation owners start getting abnormal latency and connection issues now that the 3rd generation is out. I don't trust Focusrite's tactics at all, you can't even get an older working driver for the first generation, which is a total red flag. Stay clear of this company, so many better and honest options available.
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Maniac

@ skid marks

We've invested a lot of time in porting the 1st Generation devices to the same driver codebase as the 2nd + 3rd Gen Scarletts (and Clarett USB). All generations of the Scarlett range now use the same driver, though the latency performance of the 2nd Gens, 3rd Gens and Clarett USB is still better than the latency performance of the 1st Gens (the driver isn't the only factor in determining latency performance).

I'm sorry to hear that you've had problems with our interfaces previously - did you get in touch with our support team at the time? If you (or anyone else reading this thread) experiences any problems using any of our products (current or legacy) then please do get in touch with us directly and we'll do all that we can to help: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFocusrite View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you've had problems with our interfaces previously - did you get in touch with our support team at the time? If you (or anyone else reading this thread) experiences any problems using any of our products (current or legacy) then please do get in touch with us directly and we'll do all that we can to help: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new
It's funny that in my case support put a blame on the network driver. Somehow when I connected RME or Roland interface I didn't have any problem with cracks and pops on my system. There is definitely something wrong with your drivers. Waste of time.
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Addict

Any news on the adc and dac chips used? This will become known eventually anyways. Kinda wish manufacturers of audio interfaces would just disclose this in the specsheet (some do, and some even advertise with it)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search