The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Focusrite Launches 3rd-Generation Scarlett Range
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Maniac

@ Ziko123

We've provided frequency response measurements up to 35kHz with Clarett USB, whereas our measurements only went up to 20kHz with the Thunderbolt Claretts. The USB Claretts came out after the Thunderbolt Claretts, this decision to provide a wider frequency response range for the USB Claretts was made after the Thunderbolt Claretts had already been out for a couple of years.

We don't have published measurements up to 35kHz on the Thunderbolt Claretts I'm afraid. Audio quality wise the USB and Thunderbolt Claretts are very, very similar so I would expect you to get very similar performance in this aspect from either.

Increasing the sample rate means that more samples are being captured per second. The higher the sample rate, the higher the maximum frequency that can be sampled (Nyquist Theorem).

We're of course happy to answer any questions that you might have about the Clarett range but, given that this thread is primarily for 3rd Gen Scarlett discussion, I'd advise getting in touch with us directly if you have any further Clarett-specific questions: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,
Jack
Old 27th July 2019
Lives for gear
Well ill ask again should I return my gen 2. It serves its purpose I have 2 days left to take it back to gc. If i do im gonna go with something better all together. Im about to buy a new macbook anyway. So im gonna be down a week getting it all up and going installing all my stuff. So would you take it back or keep it as a portable and back interface.
Old 31st July 2019
Are these interfaces 'class compliant'? (I mean, can be used in Ubuntu distros?)
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi @ heraldo_jones

Yes, the 3rd Gen Scarletts are all class compliant devices. We don't test with Ubuntu distros here but, in theory at least, the Scarletts should work absolutely fine on that platform.

Our control software (Focusrite Control) will only run on Windows or Mac, however, so if you wanted to change routings/any other settings that are only accessible in software, you'd need to connect the Scarlett to a Windows/Mac system to do that. Any changes you make in Focusrite Control are saved to the unit automatically.

Best,
Jack
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

I have a question about the Scarlett 8i6 (3rd Gen) and routing;
Does the Focusrite Control software mixer allow the SPDIF i/o to be used as a send/return to my Lexicon MX200?
And if not; can the 18i8 (3rd Gen) do it?

And if not; can the regular i/o do it?
Old 1st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi @ apartment dog

Yes, you could use the 3rd Gen 8i6 (or any of our other interfaces that feature S/PDIF I/O) to send signal out to outboard gear and receive signal back.

You can route any signal/combination of signals that you wish to the S/PDIF Out using Focusrite Control. The signal coming into the S/PDIF In on your 8i6 will come into your DAW on input channels 7-8.

Best,
Jack
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFocusrite View Post
Hi @ apartment dog

Yes, you could use the 3rd Gen 8i6 (or any of our other interfaces that feature S/PDIF I/O) to send signal out to outboard gear and receive signal back.

You can route any signal/combination of signals that you wish to the S/PDIF Out using Focusrite Control. The signal coming into the S/PDIF In on your 8i6 will come into your DAW on input channels 7-8.

Best,
Jack
Thanks Jack, good to know.
Old 11th August 2019
Here for the gear

...Should I upgrade my 1st gen 212 to a 3rd gen?

Hi

I posted this on the newbie forum but was hoping to get more input from you guys.

I own a Focusrite Scarlett 212 gen 1 and was wondering is it worth it for me to upgrade to the gen 3?

My needs are modest and I'm wondering if I will notice a significant benefit from upgrading to the gen 3.

I am not a professional musician but I'm a pretty good player.
I play my Strat through my gen 1 212.
I use S-Gear 2 amplifier software.
I am also starting to do some simple recording - acoustic guitar, voice, electric guitar.

I'm wondering, should I upgrade to the gen 3 or am I fine with my gen 1 212?

Many thanks
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut
A possibly really stupid question - do you have to use the Focusrite software control panel or could one simply plug it into a MacBook using LIVE and say the two input channels show up? I don't need any fancy routing, just two inputs to bring my modular synths into LIVE or AU Lab. Thanks.
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
· Redesigned DAC reconstruction filter
Hi Jack,
Is it possible to provide any additional details regarding this point
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan417 View Post
Hi

I posted this on the newbie forum but was hoping to get more input from you guys.

I own a Focusrite Scarlett 212 gen 1 and was wondering is it worth it for me to upgrade to the gen 3?

My needs are modest and I'm wondering if I will notice a significant benefit from upgrading to the gen 3.

I am not a professional musician but I'm a pretty good player.
I play my Strat through my gen 1 212.
I use S-Gear 2 amplifier software.
I am also starting to do some simple recording - acoustic guitar, voice, electric guitar.

I'm wondering, should I upgrade to the gen 3 or am I fine with my gen 1 212?

Many thanks
I wouldnt bother tbh. A real step up that you would notice is the clarett
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

An important question for me:

Does the 3rd generation finally support power over MIDI? 2nd gen does not, forcing me to have a permanent powered MIDI splitter on my rig instead of a Quadra Thru squirreled away somewhere...
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Head

https://focusrite.com/news/driver-update

Quote:
We recently released our latest Windows USB driver (version 4.63.23) which supports the following devices:

3rd Generation Scarlett Range
Clarett USB Range
2nd Generation Scarlett Range
1st Generation Scarlett Range
iTrack Solo
Saffire 6 USB 2.0*

This release brings the 1st Generation Scarlett Range, iTrack Solo and Saffire 6 USB 2.0 up to the same driver versions as the 2nd and 3rd Generation Scarlett ranges and the Clarett USB range.

1st Generation Scarlett 6i6, 8i6, 18i6, 18i8 and 18i20 continue to be supported by Scarlett Mix Control 1.10.

Delivering stable driver performance is one of our highest priorities. We want to make sure that we’re doing everything we can to give the best customer experience, so you can focus on your creativity.

You can install the latest driver by selecting your product in the Downloads section of our website, then installing either Focusrite Control (2nd Gen Scarlett 6i6, 18i8 and 18i20, 3rd Gen Scarlett Range, Clarett USB Range), Scarlett Mix Control (1st Gen Scarlett 6i6, 8i6, 18i6, 18i8 and 18i20) or the standalone driver installer (1st and 2nd Gen Scarlett Solo, 2i2 and 2i4, iTrack Solo, Saffire 6 USB 2.0).

*the USB 1.1 version of the Saffire 6 USB is no longer supported. You can check which version you have by looking at the serial number on the underside of the unit: serial numbers beginning “SU” are the USB 1.1 variant, “S2” is the USB 2.0 variant.
It only took them this long to fix the first generation drivers, because "Delivering stable driver performance is one of our highest priorities."

Yeah sure buddy, we've already moved on from your driver throttling company. Things didn't turn out the way you expected, so you had to release a working gen 1 driver? Glad you finally got around to it, only took 3 generations to figure out customer satisfaction and word of mouth is more powerful then your tricks to get another round or two of sales.
Old 27th August 2019
Gear Maniac

@ konsollfreak - I can confirm that the 3rd Gen Scarletts do NOT support power over MIDI, sorry! I'll pass your feedback over to our Product team.
@ skid marks - we provided a driver update to the bus powered 1st Gens (Solo, 2i2 and 2i4) very shortly after the release of the 2nd Gens in 2016, giving those users access to the same driver as the 2nd Gen range.

Since then we've done a lot of work to port iTrack Solo, Saffire 6 USB 2.0 and the remainder of the 1st Gen range over to the same driver framework that the 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen and Clarett USB devices use. This work was very involved as we needed to continue to ensure that there was compatibility with Scarlett Mix Control, as well as ensuring that there weren't any problems with the various different versions of firmware that some of the 1st Gens might be running out in the field.

This being the case, we've actually had publicly available beta versions of the new iterations of the driver available for the mains powered 1st Gen units since July last year. We went to full release with these drivers prior to the 3rd Gen release and have continued to iterate on them, leading up to the current release and the news article you have referenced.

I'm sorry that you perceive us as "driver throttling" - we're by no means perfect but we are continually doing all that we can to provide the best experience for our customers.

As I've mentioned in previous posts if any of our customers, old or new, have any problems then please do get in touch with us directly and we'll do all that we can to help: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,
Jack
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Nut

Hey!

I now own several Focusrite units. The Mixmaster, LS56, Penta and Scarlett 2i2 (for internet). The LS56 is my favorite among the other ones. I had a M-Audio Delta 1010 for many years, LS56 is really the best upgrade I had done in years, especially compared to the Delta 1010.

I really like the Focusrite brand. Best bang for the buck IMO.

Attached Thumbnails
Focusrite Launches 3rd-Generation Scarlett Range-focusrite-mixmaster.jpg   Focusrite Launches 3rd-Generation Scarlett Range-fr-ls56.jpg   Focusrite Launches 3rd-Generation Scarlett Range-penta.jpg   Focusrite Launches 3rd-Generation Scarlett Range-scarlett-2i2.jpg  
Old 31st August 2019
Here for the gear

I went through this thread days ago and today I got my 8i6. I use it with Kemper and it sounds just perfect.

I watched many videos (old ones) comparing Focusrite with Universal Audio. Some claims that Focusrite is brighter, some that is darker.

In my experience this 3rd gen is transparent. Using the Spdif I get the same sound through monitors or headphones that I get if I connect the Kemper directly, without the 8i6.
Old 31st August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gravity View Post
So is there a chance that the Clarett USB will get the loopback function like the thunderbolt version since you all were able to implement it on the USB Scarletts?
Im interested in this aswell. Ive planned to buy the Clarett 4pre USB. Correct me if Im wrong but I guess loopback functionality not is possible on the Clarett as it already would exist.
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gl4th View Post
I went through this thread days ago and today I got my 8i6. I use it with Kemper and it sounds just perfect.

I watched many videos (old ones) comparing Focusrite with Universal Audio. Some claims that Focusrite is brighter, some that is darker.

In my experience this 3rd gen is transparent. Using the Spdif I get the same sound through monitors or headphones that I get if I connect the Kemper directly, without the 8i6.
The scarlett series arent by any means bad, they are actually good but they are definitely entry level devices relative to more expensive models of competitors and focusrite themselves in terms of ( even to the average listener noticeable) differences in analog to digital conversion quality and the amount of clean gain that you are getting. Again I dont mean to say scarletts are bad though. They are good in both relative and absolute terms.
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

I'm currently using a Saffire Pro24DSP which has been 100% rock solid. I use a lot of large sample libraries and cpu intensive VST's on an old Intel i5 2500 PC with 16GB DDR3 RAM. Despite the Saffire range being over 10 years old they still offer impressive RTL performance and outperform many of the latest interfaces.
However, there are a few features that I would really like that the Saffire doesn't have including Alt monitoring, TalkBack, more I/O and the ability for performers to use an app to adjust their monitor mix!
The new Scarlett 18i20 ticks all the boxes on my list so I'm wondering how the new Scarlett Gen 3 compares to my old Saffire Pro 24DSP regarding :-

1/ Latency performance
2/ Audio quality of conversion, preamps and headphone outputs etc?

I have a new i9 9900k audio PC with 32GB DDR4 RAM and M2 SSD's arriving in the next few days so this will make quite a difference but I would like my next audio interface to at least match the Saffire.

Can anyone tell me how both the latency and audio quality of the new Scarlett Gen 3 compares to the 10+ years old Saffire?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
As far as I'm concerned the 2i2 Gen3 is a big step back in terms of headphone output. Whilst the DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm is a hard headphone to drive, its not an unusual headphone to have in a studio. It is considerably quieter on the Gen 3 than the Gen 2, frankly its a huge dissapointment. It runs the DT 1990 Pro well enough but thats a much more sensitive headphone. As far as I'm concerned this isnt an 'on paper' downgrade, its a straight up step backwards.

Last edited by noel.wheezy; 4 weeks ago at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Typo in dt 770 name
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I have just purchased an 8i6 to replace an NI Komplete Audio 6 and am very impressed with it.

I have been using the KA6 for about 5 years without issue and running it into a pair of Adam A3Xs. I have always enjoyed the sound and listen mainly to rock, or trance & techno through the system. Following a major PC upgrade including moving the OS to Windows 10, the KA6 has been nothing but problems. The audio drivers kept crashing or freezing, requiring the KA6 to be unplugged, or the drivers restarted. After 3 weeks of this, I gave up and started searching for a replacement.

I chose the 8i6 due to number of inputs and Focusrite's pedigree in the Pro PA field (I used to work in event production). Upon opening the box, I was initially struck by its looks, it is indeed a thing of beauty. I will concede the KA6 did feel a bit chunkier, the the Scarlet looks drop dead gorgeous.

Within 2 minutes of plugging it in and listening to some music, my girlfriend came in and commented on how much better everything sounded. I was just sat there with a silly grin. Compared to the KA6, it is considerably more open and detailed. Listening to dance music, the Scarlet really does let the music flow, but also keeps tight control of it. I find the sound both exciting and invigorating and the bottom end is rock solid and deep.

I honestly thought the KA6 was a bloody good interface and have always been very happy with it. Looking back, I am strangely happy that everything went pear shaped with the PC upgrade, otherwise I would still be listening to it now and missing out on the luscious sound I have now. It drives the Adams to obscene levels and I am impressed the the tight bass they are now producing.

For headphones, I am using a pair of Audio Technica ES700s. Admittedly these are more hi-fi than studio, but they are comfy and I like their sound. The Scarlet will drive them without issue to painfully loud levels while still remaining in control.

Anyway, if you are thinking about dropping the cash on one, at the very least go and have a listen. You wont regret it, but your credit card might.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

@ JackFocusrite

I have a Tascam UH7000 which has been discontinued and am interested in the new 3rd gen 18i20. The one thing that is an absolute must is that I don't lose quality converter wise. I already have a solid pre in my Great River ME1NV so conversion is my main concern. Can you confirm that the 18i20 would be equal (if not better!) than the UH7000?

If it ends up being the case that it would be a downgrade, the Clarrett is also of interest.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleCharlie View Post
@ JackFocusrite

I have a Tascam UH7000 which has been discontinued and am interested in the new 3rd gen 18i20. The one thing that is an absolute must is that I don't lose quality converter wise. I already have a solid pre in my Great River ME1NV so conversion is my main concern. Can you confirm that the 18i20 would be equal (if not better!) than the UH7000?

If it ends up being the case that it would be a downgrade, the Clarrett is also of interest.
No offense to jack but you might be better of checking 3rd party reviews. I can personally say that the clarett for me has audibly better a/d conversion quality that makes it worth it, but you might also want to check out the new arturia which is in the same pricerange and might be performing even very slightly better but is a bit different (not per se better) feature wise (see bobeats video).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Ziko123

We've provided frequency response measurements up to 35kHz with Clarett USB, whereas our measurements only went up to 20kHz with the Thunderbolt Claretts. The USB Claretts came out after the Thunderbolt Claretts, this decision to provide a wider frequency response range for the USB Claretts was made after the Thunderbolt Claretts had already been out for a couple of years.

We don't have published measurements up to 35kHz on the Thunderbolt Claretts I'm afraid. Audio quality wise the USB and Thunderbolt Claretts are very, very similar so I would expect you to get very similar performance in this aspect from either.

Increasing the sample rate means that more samples are being captured per second. The higher the sample rate, the higher the maximum frequency that can be sampled (Nyquist Theorem).

We're of course happy to answer any questions that you might have about the Clarett range but, given that this thread is primarily for 3rd Gen Scarlett discussion, I'd advise getting in touch with us directly if you have any further Clarett-specific questions: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,
Jack

Can you please make the mute button in the mixer red instead of gray when active? C'mon...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

@ UncleCharlie

It's hard to compare the specs for the Tascam unit to the specs for the 3rd Gen 18i20 as there aren't many readings that overlap. As an example, Tascam's specs show "ADC/DAC chip set dynamic range" (i.e. the performance of the converter chips in isolation, possibly taken from the converter spec sheet) whereas our specs show the real-world conversion performance of the input and output circuits as a whole, as measured on actual production units.

https://tascam.com/us/product/uh-7000/spec
https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-inte...scarlett-18i20

I can confirm that the Clarett range does include better specs across the board than any of the Scarlett generations, though the Scarlett specs are still very good, particularly when you bear in mind the price. As @ StupidDisco alluded to you're likely to get a somewhat biased response from me if I were to answer your question directly... independent third party reviews are always the way to go (unless you can actually try out a unit, of course!).
@ blackcom - thanks for your feedback, I'll pass that on to the Product team.

Best,
Jack
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search