The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Audio introduces Discrete 8 Synergy Core - DSP & FPGA Audio Interface
Old 26th June 2019
Company Rep

Antelope Audio introduces Discrete 8 Synergy Core - DSP & FPGA Audio Interface

The next generation Discrete 8 Thunderbolt/USB interface, the Discrete 8 Synergy Core is loaded with dual DSP chips and an FPGA processor working together to run award-winning Antelope FX, as well as 3rd-party effects joining the Synergy Core platform. Ideal for mid-sized studios, the Discrete 8 Synergy Core features Thunderbolt and USB connectivity, 8 console-grade microphone preamps, 26 total inputs and 30 outputs -- including two dedicated ReAmp outputs. There's even a footswitch jack to speed up your workflow. And with 36 top Antelope effects plug-ins included free, the Discrete 8 Synergy Core gives you a sharp set of creative tools to take your projects from inspiration to final master.

Key Features:
  • Synergy Core - New Milestone Technology & Future-proof FX processing platform
  • Pristine AD/DA conversion with 130 dB of dynamic range on monitor outputs
  • 36 Synergy Core effects plug-ins included -- a $3,000 value
  • Sub-millisecond round-trip latency
  • Antelope's 4th-Generation Acoustically Focused Clocking and Word Clock I/O
  • USB/Thunderbolt audio interface with 8 console-grade mic preamps
  • 26 total inputs and 30 outputs, including 2 dedicated ReAmp outputs
  • Footswitch jack
  • 35 effects expansions available separately, including AFX2DAW Bridge
  • All effects can be automated in DAW without CPU load, thanks to AFX2DAW Bridge (Mac only)

Synergy Core: Future-Proof Effects Processing (DSP + FPGA)

With two DSP chips and an FPGA chip under the hood, the Discrete 8 Synergy Core can run all your Antelope FX -- stabilizing your DAW by offloading effects processing to dedicated chips, without bogging down your host CPU. With the Discrete 8 Synergy Core in your rack, you don't need a latest-spec computer to run your favorite plugs. Antelope effects running on Antelope hardware means you can shorten buffer size, reduce latency, and free up your host Mac or PC to run CPU-hogging VST synths and native time-based effects.

1 FPGA + 2 DSP = More Effects, More Variety

Antelope's unique Synergy Core platform combines FPGA + DSP in one interface. With the Discrete 8 Synergy Core, you get state-of-the-art ARM DSPs with faster clock rates than chips found in lesser interfaces, plus Antelope's proven FPGA platform that delivers lower latency in FX chains. This exclusive hybrid architecture enables a wider variety of Antelope effects than ever -- time-based delays, choruses, flangers, and more. Your Discrete 8 Synergy Core comes with $3,000 of plug-ins: compressors, EQs, reverbs, amp models based on iconic vintage gear -- and all the processing power you need to run them!

Uncompromising A/D and D/A Conversion Quality

Analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters are at the heart of every DAW-based studio -- and your converters can make or break your sound. That's why the Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Synergy Core offers pristine AD/DA with 121 dB dynamic range on the analog inputs and class-leading 130 dB dynamic range on the monitor outputs, so you can capture and play back your audio with Antelope clarity.

More I/O for Your Growing Studio

The Discrete 8 Synergy Core is hand-built by Antelope engineers to deliver impressive analog and digital I/O in one rack space. Plug into two front-panel XLR-1/4" inputs with switchable mic/line/Hi-Z preamps. On the back, you'll find 6 mic/line inputs, monitor line outputs, dedicated ReAmp outputs, 8 more line outputs on a DB25 connector, two banks of ADAT I/O, and S/PDIF I/O.

Antelope Audio's Proven Clocking Technology

Pro recording studios rely on Antelope master clocks to maintain stability and sonic integrity in PCM digital audio. The Discrete 8 Synergy Core wouldn't be an Antelope Audio interface if it didn't offer rock-solid clocking, with Antelope's 4th-Generation 64-bit Acoustically Focused Clocking (AFC) jitter management algorithm, three 75-ohm BNC Word Clock outputs, and Word Clock input. Add Antelope's industry-leading digital clocking to your studio, and capture recordings with greater clarity, dimension and detail.

----------
Discrete 8 Synergy Core is now being supplied to our dealer's network — keep an eye at Antelope Audio’s growing global network of authorised dealers (https://en.antelopeaudio.com/dealers/) for pre-order information. For more information, reach out to your dealer or to us directly at Antelope Audio | Digital clarity | Analog warmth
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Looks interesting, especially at $1399.

Is this series their entry-level line?

How good are the preamps?

Could it be used for summing?
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Looks interesting, especially at $1399.

Is this series their entry-level line?

How good are the preamps?

Could it be used for summing?
How is an adda interface going to be used for summing?
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
How is an adda interface going to be used for summing?
Well, I expect that multiple audio channels can be fed from the DAW to the interface.

My Metric Halo interface has a "console" where you can route audio, and apply plugins that are embedded, and make use of the built-in DSP processing. Then the 80-bit summed signal gets fed back to the DAW, or recorded directly to a WAV file.

I know other "interfaces" can do this -- and I thought this Antelope Audio series was similar.

I guess the main unknown is does it have a "console" to let you "mix".
Old 2nd July 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Well, I expect that multiple audio channels can be fed from the DAW to the interface.

My Metric Halo interface has a "console" where you can route audio, and apply plugins that are embedded, and make use of the built-in DSP processing. Then the 80-bit summed signal gets fed back to the DAW, or recorded directly to a WAV file.

I know other "interfaces" can do this -- and I thought this Antelope Audio series was similar.

I guess the main unknown is does it have a "console" to let you "mix".
Hi!

Yes, you can do this.

Here's an old video showcasing the routing matrix (you also have 4 built-in virtual summing mixers which you can use), via which you have the freedom to do literally anything -

Feel free to message me or comment here if you have any other questions!
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi!

Yes, you can do this.

Here's an old video showcasing the routing matrix (you also have 4 built-in virtual summing mixers which you can use), via which you have the freedom to do literally anything -

Feel free to message me or comment here if you have any other questions!
See @ dbjp ... I wasn't being silly. ;-)
Old 2nd July 2019
Here for the gear
Hi guys, can multiple machines be daisy-chained thru Thunderbolt? And up to how many? Thanks!
Old 4th July 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkiDee View Post
Hi guys, can multiple machines be daisy-chained thru Thunderbolt? And up to how many? Thanks!
Hi!

You can daisy chain them via ADAT, you have 2 ADAT inputs and 2 ADAT outputs, that means that you can transfer 16 channels at 48kHz one way and 16 channels at 48kHz the other way, if you double the sample rate - you get twice less channels. This means that at 96kHz you get 8 channels in total and at 192kHz, you get 4 channels in total.

If you have any other questions - please ask!
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Good Lord.
Old 4th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi!

You can daisy chain them via ADAT, you have 2 ADAT inputs and 2 ADAT outputs, that means that you can transfer 16 channels at 48kHz one way and 16 channels at 48kHz the other way, if you double the sample rate - you get twice less channels. This means that at 96kHz you get 8 channels in total and at 192kHz, you get 4 channels in total.

Hi Sam, thank you for your answer, but I think that you misunderstood my question. I want to know if I can buy 2 interfaces and use them simultaneously in order to have twice as much of I/O. Will I be able to access the 2 interfaces thru the software as one, etc. Hope this is a bit clearer.
Old 10th July 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkiDee View Post
Hi Sam, thank you for your answer, but I think that you misunderstood my question. I want to know if I can buy 2 interfaces and use them simultaneously in order to have twice as much of I/O. Will I be able to access the 2 interfaces thru the software as one, etc. Hope this is a bit clearer.
Hi!

Yes, you are able to use them simultaneously as an aggregate device on MAC in your DAW and the same can be achieved with ASIO4ALL on Windows. You will be able to control both interfaces via two instances of the control panel in order to have full control over each and every channel in the routing matrix, effects, etc., if you are asking whether you can control both interfaces from one control panel - you also can do this, there is dropdown menu in the top right corner in the control panel of the interface, that lets you switch between the serial numbers (control) for both units.

Old 12th July 2019
Here for the gear

More Synergy Core products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
The next generation Discrete 8 Thunderbolt/USB interface, [B]
Will antelope announce more dsp+fpga interfaces?

I'm going to start a studio with Goliath HD but if there will be a synergy core powered version I would like to wait.
Old 12th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by modroach View Post
Will antelope announce more dsp+fpga interfaces?

I'm going to start a studio with Goliath HD but if there will be a synergy core powered version I would like to wait.
I’d like to know as well.
Old 18th October 2019
News Desk Editor

Old 2nd November 2019
Here for the gear
Hello,
When will AFX2DAW come to Windows and are there any updates on the Windows Audio issue in the Thunderbolt 3 Windows Driver of Antelope products?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I bought these interface a few weeks ago, I used to have a orion 32+, the conversion and sound quality are the same. I love the sound and the Fx on it, I do have some issues with the software and some configurations but the tech support online is great.
Im very happy with these interface!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have the Discrete 8 Synergy Core interface, bought from new.
Didn't mind all the negative publicity the company has, was more or less an impulse buy, and I thought that any issues might be ironed out in time.

First thing first, I am not a professional in the recording industry, so if anything crashes, I can take time to fix it. Plus, I do have some computer knowledge and that helps fix troublesome software at times.

Sound wise, it is as good as it gets, especially in the price range. Converters sound loud, clear with lots of headroom and definition.
I did recordings of analogue synths and some vocals and all was good and crisp.
As a day to day use, I produce through it using Ableton on a Mac with Thunderbolt. Little to no issues there once the drivers were installed, and some updates were done, all was good. I use the ins and outs to record my synths and send signals through guitar pedals and external hardware rack effects and it works fine. This is where having the 2 reamp outputs shown its advantages. Sometimes when tracking, the synths get the onboard DSP effects treatment as well, and the unit holds all ins and outs plus some channels of Ableton separate outputs fine. The computer does some work though as it heats up and fans go on, however I think that is normal for the amount of stuff I have thrown at it.
Mixer app is quite good, has some drawbacks and lack of features compared to competitors and I wouldn't mind having these implemented.
So in my case, I would like the mixer to have hardware ins and outs set as send returns so that I can use synths and pedals without Ableton or any other DAW.
Also, it is not possible to control it through a tablet or MID device like in MOTU's case. In this regard it is power of software over hardware and Antelope would benefit from implementing similar features.
So as stated, bad publicity aside, it sometimes can be a miss with these and I've been fortunate to not have much trouble.
AFX 2 DAW works fine in Ableton, although the need to bounce down tracks in realtime can be tedious sometimes, it is what it is.

Certainly, they would benefit IMMENSELY from having strong updates and ironing out bugs at a faster rate. Together with implementing features like standalone mode, send returns in mixer and a few others, these interfaces would become a go-to.
So if you're patient and can work out through some hassles, it is a good buy. If demands are high and there is a lot of pressure and work to be done, better borrow an unit first and see if it is right for you and moreover, compatible with your setup.
Old 3 weeks ago
In my personal experience, this interface covered all my expectations. Four months ago I bought it as an early adopter of the synergy core technology because the idea of a signal processing platform that combines FPGA and DSP seems really powerful, also I’ve got the opportunity to test the antelope gear at my friends studios and immediately felt in love of them. Once the interface came to my studio it fit immediately with my other gear and became the master clock that change the game. From then I’ve being testing it in multiples situations also as a portable studio, in that particular case it became a really useful tool because it save me a lot of space, now I have EQs, Mic Preamps, Compressors and a lot more stuff inside it with an almost null latency. I accept that I got struggles at the beginning while was learning how to use it but is easy to familiarize with it. The discrete 8 have a lot of more features that work amazing such as the talkback mic included, reamp outs, AFX2DW plugin, multiple monitoring, a bunch of possible connections.

Not even taking on count of its great appearance I also truly recommend it because the company cares a lot of their costumers and every time that I needed help they answer quickly and I appreciates it, especially as an early adopter.

Last edited by MrMundi95; 2 weeks ago at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Posible gramar misunderstood
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So DSP and FPGA's together have a "sound"? really?; I'd like to know how that's any different than code running on a CPU. Please somebody enlighten me.

I know; it must be the electrons analog path through the "warm" FPGA vs the
cold harsh transistors of a CPU.....lol
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
So DSP and FPGA's together have a "sound"? really?; I'd like to know how that's any different than code running on a CPU. Please somebody enlighten me.

I know; it must be the electrons analog path through the "warm" FPGA vs the
cold harsh transistors of a CPU.....lol
You are right, it was a translation mistake, sorry for the misunderstood. it's already fixed. Thanks for notice it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just some misunderstanding; using the terms as marketing gimmicks.. CPU. FPGA, DSP...its still code running on a chip. That's all I'm saying. The advantage with FPGA's is they are re programmable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal_processor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-...ble_gate_array
https://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/dsp.html
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have the Discrete 8 Synergy Core for 4 months now and it has met my expectations. It took me a little while to understand the settings, but when you get used to it, it becomes easy. I usually record in ProTools and although I don't work with AFX2DAW because I have Windows, I do it manually, the FPGA effects are very high quality and save you a lot of CPU usage. I have a Neumann tlm-103 for recording and the preamps that the Discrete 8 has make the microphone show its full potential. I hope Antelope can launch the Thunderbolt certified driver with Windows soon so as not to use a third-party program to play windows audio.
In conclusion, the Discrete 8 Synergy Core seems to me a very interesting and powerfull option for the attributes it has and now with the launch of the integrated Auto-Tune as DSP, I think Antelope is proving that it is working on developing more FPGA / DSP effects with third parties companies, but we have to be patient.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCa View Post
I have the Discrete 8 Synergy Core for 4 months now and it has met my expectations. It took me a little while to understand the settings, but when you get used to it, it becomes easy. I usually record in ProTools and although I don't work with AFX2DAW because I have Windows, I do it manually, the FPGA effects are very high quality and save you a lot of CPU usage. I have a Neumann tlm-103 for recording and the preamps that the Discrete 8 has make the microphone show its full potential. I hope Antelope can launch the Thunderbolt certified driver with Windows soon so as not to use a third-party program to play windows audio.
In conclusion, the Discrete 8 Synergy Core seems to me a very interesting and powerfull option for the attributes it has and now with the launch of the integrated Auto-Tune as DSP, I think Antelope is proving that it is working on developing more FPGA / DSP effects with third parties companies, but we have to be patient.
This is why I believe this hardware should feel like a major investment for the future, but I can't really trust Antelope for some reason. The Synergy Core launch kind of f'ed over the old Basic/Premium FX Customers, and the driver development side of these cards have been taking quite long tbh
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

"There's even a footswitch jack to speed up your workflow."

Can you elaborate on this use case a bit. Why would you do this?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search