Antelope Audio introduces Discrete 8 Synergy Core - DSP & FPGA Audio Interface - Page 2 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Audio introduces Discrete 8 Synergy Core - DSP & FPGA Audio Interface
Old 11th January 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCVV View Post
Hi,

I've been looking into the Discrete 8, but I've a couple of questions:

1. I'm a PC user, will there be a VST developed for PC eventually? Anytime soon?

and, more important:

2. So I understand that in order to use the software, even the control panel and mixer, etc, I need the PC to be online? I like to keep the studio PC mostly disconnected, it's an old habit, and I'd rather keep it that way, but from what I'm reading in this thread it would appear a connection is constantly needed? Please clarify.

Thanks!
Hi!

Our effects are usable as hardware inserts via the control panel of the interface, however we are working on the Windows version of AFX2DAW (will be Thunderbolt only, just as it is on MAC), which will allow you to use the effects directly in your DAW.

As for your second question - only for the initial activation and software download/updates, you will need to be online, afterwards there is no need for you to be connected to the internet. Is the information on our website misleading? This feedback is very useful for us, so please get back to me!

Sam
Old 13th January 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi!

Our effects are usable as hardware inserts via the control panel of the interface, however we are working on the Windows version of AFX2DAW (will be Thunderbolt only, just as it is on MAC), which will allow you to use the effects directly in your DAW.

As for your second question - only for the initial activation and software download/updates, you will need to be online, afterwards there is no need for you to be connected to the internet. Is the information on our website misleading? This feedback is very useful for us, so please get back to me!

Sam
Hey! Thanks for your quick reply. Could you give me a (totally non-binding) estimation of how long for the AFX2DAW for Win to be available?

Re the info on your website: no, it was a previous post on this thread, made me think a connection was necessary all the time.

Cheers!
Old 26th February 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi!

Sam
Sam, When is this release going to happen for AFX to DAW for Windows, I've heard from Antelope, and saw numerous posts from your team, here as well as on facebook, but there's no products to be seen.

When exactly are you guys planning to ACTUALLY RELEASE it?
Old 26th February 2020
Company Rep

Hi to both of you!

You will hear news from us soon, I cannot give you an exact timeline, but news should be out soon (a few weeks by my personal estimations). We know that you are impatient to have it and we are doing our best to provide you with news and information as soon as possible.
Old 27th February 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi Sam,

I have my interface connected to a PC -Windows via thunderbolt using the Startech adapter as recommended. However, my PC crashes every time i start the PC with the interface connected.(I see after that it is the Antelope TB Driver is causing that) In spite of that, my interface works pretty ok when i connect it after the PC ignition.
The antelope web says:

"If the device is not recognized when connected before the computer is started, but reconized otherwise, please try a different thundebolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter"

As I said before, I have the recommended adapter, so really don't know wich is the exact cause or solution.

Thanks

JuanCa
Old 28th February 2020
Company Rep

Hi @ JuanCa

Are you booting in Verbose mode in Windows, can you screenshot/take a photo of when it crashes? Are you running with the latest Windows updates? Did you get in touch with our support team here - https://support.antelopeaudio.com
If you haven't, please do and send to me the support case ID or chat ID via a personal message here, so I can keep an eye there and ask my colleagues from the support team to CC me on the communication there.
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Addict

Sam, That's great to finally hear this. Also can you say when the discrete 8 synergy will actually get proper windows drivers, as of now we are forced to use voicemeeter app. ;(

thanks for the reply, can't wait to actually use my plugins like mac users have been able to for awhile now!
Old 7th May 2020
Here for the gear

Anyone know how many simultaneous ins & outs this thing can do? I can't find it anywhere.
Old 11th May 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycutter View Post
Anyone know how many simultaneous ins & outs this thing can do? I can't find it anywhere.
Hi!

With all of our interfaces, you can use all inputs and outputs simultaneously!
Old 13th May 2020
Here for the gear

I'm hoping to see if any PC users are having issue with drivers.
Sorry but I don't care about the DSP, FPGA or any other features.
I just want good preamp with AD/DA quality.
Trying to see if it works smoothly on Windows via USB...
Without stopping during the recording or need to restart the device consistently.
Old 17th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Sam,
Hey man, 3 months have past since you mentioned it would be a few weeks. I'm in the know of what is coming out, but honestly for the sake of showing good business, you should probably keep up with these type of threads, and let your customers know what's going on here.

There's alot of customers in the dark, that have waited along time on this news and they should be aware of changes coming, plus it helps sales and support!
Old 18th May 2020
Here for the gear

Questions between 4 and 8 Synergy Core

Hi Sam

I recently Bought the Edge Solo and love it. I'm now just trying to decide which Interface to Grab here. Few Questions

1. I'm really just a stay at home recording kinda guy. I would like to be able run software synths out through a bunch of pedals then back in in stereo. I don't want to mess with much so my set up would be input 1. Guitar/Bass input 2. Edge Mic input 3 and 4. stereo fx return. Can i internally print a blank guitar track along with processed and DSP recording for Reamping later with the Synergy 4?

2. Are there plans to integrate the Windows fx2daw? Would it be possible even as ridiculous as it would be to use the fx2daw from a seperate pc running a virtual Machine through like Vienna Pro Ensemble for mixing?

3. Will the Voucher for the promo Expire? Like if I grabbed a few plugins now and waited for the library to grow is that a problem? And why the Price difference in the cost of fx2daw between the 4 and the 8?

I'm sold and grabbing one this week anyways but Thought i'd ask this before deciding which one to grab.

Thanks
the ro
Old 18th May 2020
Company Rep

@ bobbybland - Indeed and I am sorry for being silent on the subject. Unfortunately, the plans that we had to come out with news, are delayed. Here's what I will share - we are making a new version of AFX2DAW, as new as it gets, we're rewriting it from the ground up. This leads to a lot of obstacles development-wise and bumps that we expect to solve for a particular time, which however need far more time to be solved. This is what's going on on our side.
@ roroboat33 - Hi!

For the first question - yes. You can easily do that via the built-in virtual mixer in the Discrete 4 Synergy Core control panel, you can check out this video for a basic idea of how the control panel works and what you can do with it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8t_Jj_YvAM in order to record in the way that you would like to.

As for your question about AFX2DAW on Windows - yes, we are working on that, however AFX2DAW still runs all of the effects on the interface itself, so you have to have it connected to the computer that you're using it on. Keep in mind that AFX2DAW will always only work via Thunderbolt and USB compatibility won't be available even when we release it for Windows.

Yes, our promos and vouchers do expire after their promotional period, so that won't be possible. As for AFX2DAW, it is priced the same for both the Discrete 4 & 8 Synergy Core, you can check it out here - https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/afx2daw/
Old 18th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Yes, our promos and vouchers do expire after their promotional period, so that won't be possible. As for AFX2DAW, it is priced the same for both the Discrete 4 & 8 Synergy Core, you can check it out here - https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/afx2daw/[/QUOTE]

GREAT!!! Thanks for answering as I often find it hard to answer my ramblings sometimes
I do have a follow up to this answer though just to clarify. I'm not talking about at the Promo's end. What I'm asking is more so Lets say I bought it this week and received the 1000$ credit would there be an expiration on those? or could I grab like the REEL to REEL and save the extra in Credit until the Windows AFX2DAW comes out be it three weeks from now or several months from now and use the rest of that credit then? or even Grab what I want say i used 6 or 700 of that on what you have now On a Couple extra Compressors and EQ's and waited til you developed more Plugins is what I'm trying to ask. EIther way not a deal breaker just was kinda curious if I have to make those decisions now on what I wanted.
Old 19th May 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks for shining some light on this for everyone Sam. I've been digging alot into the Antelope FX and these are very very good,can't wait for the next version of AFX2DAW.
Old 20th May 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roroboat33 View Post
Yes, our promos and vouchers do expire after their promotional period, so that won't be possible. As for AFX2DAW, it is priced the same for both the Discrete 4 & 8 Synergy Core, you can check it out here - https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/afx2daw/
GREAT!!! Thanks for answering as I often find it hard to answer my ramblings sometimes
I do have a follow up to this answer though just to clarify. I'm not talking about at the Promo's end. What I'm asking is more so Lets say I bought it this week and received the 1000$ credit would there be an expiration on those? or could I grab like the REEL to REEL and save the extra in Credit until the Windows AFX2DAW comes out be it three weeks from now or several months from now and use the rest of that credit then? or even Grab what I want say i used 6 or 700 of that on what you have now On a Couple extra Compressors and EQ's and waited til you developed more Plugins is what I'm trying to ask. EIther way not a deal breaker just was kinda curious if I have to make those decisions now on what I wanted.[/QUOTE]

Hello again!

The code that you get for the 1000$ credit is one-time use voucher, so you have to use it in one purchase. It doesn't expire, so as long as you receive it now, you will be able to use it 5 months from now if you want to. However, you can't split it into a few purchases, as it doesn't actually act as a credit on your account, but as a one-time promo code.

Please feel free to message me directly as well!
Old 5th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
I do have a follow up to this answer though just to clarify. I'm not talking about at the Promo's end. What I'm asking is more so Lets say I bought it this week and received the 1000$ credit would there be an expiration on those? or could I grab like the REEL to REEL and save the extra in Credit until the Windows AFX2DAW comes out be it three weeks from now or several months from now and use the rest of that credit then? or even Grab what I want say i used 6 or 700 of that on what you have now On a Couple extra Compressors and EQ's and waited til you developed more Plugins is what I'm trying to ask. EIther way not a deal breaker just was kinda curious if I have to make those decisions now on what I wanted.
Hello again!

The code that you get for the 1000$ credit is one-time use voucher, so you have to use it in one purchase. It doesn't expire, so as long as you receive it now, you will be able to use it 5 months from now if you want to. However, you can't split it into a few purchases, as it doesn't actually act as a credit on your account, but as a one-time promo code.

Please feel free to message me directly as well! [/QUOTE]

Was there $1000 promo?
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
The next generation Discrete 8 Thunderbolt/USB interface, the Discrete 8 Synergy Core is loaded with dual DSP chips and an FPGA processor working together to run award-winning Antelope FX, as well as 3rd-party effects joining the Synergy Core platform. Ideal for mid-sized studios, the Discrete 8 Synergy Core features Thunderbolt and USB connectivity, 8 console-grade microphone preamps, 26 total inputs and 30 outputs -- including two dedicated ReAmp outputs. There's even a footswitch jack to speed up your workflow. And with 36 top Antelope effects plug-ins included free, the Discrete 8 Synergy Core gives you a sharp set of creative tools to take your projects from inspiration to final master.

Key Features:
  • Synergy Core - New Milestone Technology & Future-proof FX processing platform
  • Pristine AD/DA conversion with 130 dB of dynamic range on monitor outputs
  • 36 Synergy Core effects plug-ins included -- a $3,000 value
  • Sub-millisecond round-trip latency
  • Antelope's 4th-Generation Acoustically Focused Clocking and Word Clock I/O
  • USB/Thunderbolt audio interface with 8 console-grade mic preamps
  • 26 total inputs and 30 outputs, including 2 dedicated ReAmp outputs
  • Footswitch jack
  • 35 effects expansions available separately, including AFX2DAW Bridge
  • All effects can be automated in DAW without CPU load, thanks to AFX2DAW Bridge (Mac only)

Synergy Core: Future-Proof Effects Processing (DSP + FPGA)

With two DSP chips and an FPGA chip under the hood, the Discrete 8 Synergy Core can run all your Antelope FX -- stabilizing your DAW by offloading effects processing to dedicated chips, without bogging down your host CPU. With the Discrete 8 Synergy Core in your rack, you don't need a latest-spec computer to run your favorite plugs. Antelope effects running on Antelope hardware means you can shorten buffer size, reduce latency, and free up your host Mac or PC to run CPU-hogging VST synths and native time-based effects.

1 FPGA + 2 DSP = More Effects, More Variety

Antelope's unique Synergy Core platform combines FPGA + DSP in one interface. With the Discrete 8 Synergy Core, you get state-of-the-art ARM DSPs with faster clock rates than chips found in lesser interfaces, plus Antelope's proven FPGA platform that delivers lower latency in FX chains. This exclusive hybrid architecture enables a wider variety of Antelope effects than ever -- time-based delays, choruses, flangers, and more. Your Discrete 8 Synergy Core comes with $3,000 of plug-ins: compressors, EQs, reverbs, amp models based on iconic vintage gear -- and all the processing power you need to run them!

Uncompromising A/D and D/A Conversion Quality

Analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters are at the heart of every DAW-based studio -- and your converters can make or break your sound. That's why the Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Synergy Core offers pristine AD/DA with 121 dB dynamic range on the analog inputs and class-leading 130 dB dynamic range on the monitor outputs, so you can capture and play back your audio with Antelope clarity.

More I/O for Your Growing Studio

The Discrete 8 Synergy Core is hand-built by Antelope engineers to deliver impressive analog and digital I/O in one rack space. Plug into two front-panel XLR-1/4" inputs with switchable mic/line/Hi-Z preamps. On the back, you'll find 6 mic/line inputs, monitor line outputs, dedicated ReAmp outputs, 8 more line outputs on a DB25 connector, two banks of ADAT I/O, and S/PDIF I/O.

Antelope Audio's Proven Clocking Technology

Pro recording studios rely on Antelope master clocks to maintain stability and sonic integrity in PCM digital audio. The Discrete 8 Synergy Core wouldn't be an Antelope Audio interface if it didn't offer rock-solid clocking, with Antelope's 4th-Generation 64-bit Acoustically Focused Clocking (AFC) jitter management algorithm, three 75-ohm BNC Word Clock outputs, and Word Clock input. Add Antelope's industry-leading digital clocking to your studio, and capture recordings with greater clarity, dimension and detail.

----------
Discrete 8 Synergy Core is now being supplied to our dealer's network — keep an eye at Antelope Audio’s growing global network of authorised dealers (https://en.antelopeaudio.com/dealers/) for pre-order information. For more information, reach out to your dealer or to us directly at Antelope Audio | Digital clarity | Analog warmth
Hello Sam

Can this unit be daisychained with 2 Clarett Octopres? What I mean is that I connect Discrete 8 ADAT IN 1 to Clarett Octopre ADAT OUT and I connect Discrete 8 ADAT IN 2 to Clarett Octopre 2 ADAT OUT ? I also connect a wordclock cable from one Octopre to the other. Then I set the clock of the Discrete 8 to ADAT. So in that configuration I would have 24 TRS line inputs.

And also, why is it not possible to get 44.1Khz for the ADAT in the Discrete 8?

Looking forward to your reply.
Old 13th July 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmaker View Post
Hello Sam

Can this unit be daisychained with 2 Clarett Octopres? What I mean is that I connect Discrete 8 ADAT IN 1 to Clarett Octopre ADAT OUT and I connect Discrete 8 ADAT IN 2 to Clarett Octopre 2 ADAT OUT ? I also connect a wordclock cable from one Octopre to the other. Then I set the clock of the Discrete 8 to ADAT. So in that configuration I would have 24 TRS line inputs.

And also, why is it not possible to get 44.1Khz for the ADAT in the Discrete 8?

Looking forward to your reply.
Hi!

Yes, you can easily do that and it will work easily. Just make sure to either clock the Discrete 8 to the other interfaces or the other way around, I strongly suggest that you send clocking signal to the WC input of the Octopres from the WC outputs of the Discrete 8. This way you won't need to clock the Discrete 8 via ADAT from the Octopres.

You will be able to use 44.1kHz freely, any sample rate up to 192kHz is supported via our ADAT I/O as well as our other inputs/outputs.

Please feel free to message me directly if any other questions come up!
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Addict

3 Months later and we're right back to the same old tired story, where's this Afx to Daw for windows Antelope? Again, keep us in the know here, we are after all your customers and have been waiting a ridiculous amount of time, for this,while mac users have had it since day one.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

How about the option to rename our channels in the Console as well. I just bought a UA Apollo X6 to pair with the Antelope Discrete 8 synergy ,and the UA Console allows users to really customize the Mixer to our own audio language, Antelope please Add this!
Old 16th August 2020
Here for the gear

I sold my Discrete 8 unit after waiting so long for the promised AFX2DAW for windows. After that i purchased the Behringer wing a week ago for the studio instead. Best choice I ever made. Unlike the Discrete 8, the software is so stable on windows and it comes packed with alot of plugin power and audio tools for 48 channels/24 stereo. Also the converters on the wing sound absolutely phenomenal i was blown away. We do alot of movie sound production work in the studio so having the physical faders for automation is important. The big thing about the wing is that it is so customizable. I was able to setup the desk to a workflow that fits our studio the best. After being with Antelope audio, i am so blown away by the quality and professionalism of Behringer's product. Antelope audio has completely lost me as a customer. I would never go back to them unless they change their practices. I understand needing more time to build something out, but its been about two years in the waiting. I don't think AFX2DAW for windows is comming. They should just be honest and upfront to their customers.
Old 28th September 2020
Gear Addict

Sam,
Where's this Afx to Daw for windows Antelope?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

How about letting customers rename aspects on the mixer by now/??
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Damn. I’m glad I read this thread. Was just about to pull the trigger on this for my
new audio interface but it sounds like a total **** show. I’m on windows 10 so just can’t risk it. What a shame as specs look great. RME it is
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMaloogalooga View Post
Damn. I’m glad I read this thread. Was just about to pull the trigger on this for my
new audio interface but it sounds like a total **** show. I’m on windows 10 so just can’t risk it. What a shame as specs look great. RME it is
Very VERY wise decision.
📝 Reply