The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kush AR-1: Fat, Old, Gritty Tube Compression… No iLok Dongle!
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru

Kush AR-1: Fat, Old, Gritty Tube Compression… No iLok Dongle!

Kush’s Newest Secret Weapon is…

Very, Very Old

AR-1
from Lisson Grove Digital by Kush

Get the thick, fiery tone heard on Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and countless other classics.

$99, No Ilok Dongle Required, at The House of Kush

Note: Abbey Road in no way endorses this plugin, its creators, or the use of Kush (while mixing or otherwise…)

The History:
AR-1 is a variable-mµ tube compressor whose roots are in the raucous 50’s, yet it enjoys a posh, tea-sipping British image thanks to its use at the legendary Abbey Road Studios in the late 60’s, on the later Beatles and earlier Pink Floyd records.

At its core, the AR-1 is a modified EMI RS124 and, in fact, was originally named ‘R-124’ until Abbey Road’s legal team crashed the party. Ironically, the EMI RS124 was itself simply a modified version of another company’s product, the venerable Altec 436 compressor. Make of that what you will!

The Facts:
The AR-1 plugin enhances the functionality of the hardware as only a plugin can. For starters, you can see the actual values of the controls. The release is fully variable as opposed to stepped, although you can click directly on Releases #1-4 to emulate the legendary “Beatles” timings of the original analog.

Both the attack and release also have the ability to go much faster than the hardware. Having the full range of modern release times eliminated the need for the ‘Infinite Hold’ feature of the original, and made the plugin much simpler to use when going for heavily compressed sounds.

The Tone knob has been reinvented to allow the plugin to fix common digital sonic issues (too much bite and not enough beef) rather than common analog ones (too much beef and not enough bite).

There’s a 60Hz sidechain switch added to reduce unwanted pumping, and an IO Gain link to mitigate the dramatic volume swings that happen when driving the Input.

Finally, the Threshold knob can fully disable the compression while retaining the input and output circuitry, which can then be driven into some of the loveliest distortion this side of the pond.

The Hype:
A common gripe about plugin compressors, and digital sounds in general, is that they’re “too fast.” Even when a plugin’s attack time measures identical to the hardware, it generally sounds markedly different and is both too aggressive and not ‘firm’ enough, with excessive high frequency energy and a lack of low end muscle.

AR-1 solves that problem and represents a significant step forward for Kush’s modeling of analog compressors, featuring a new and (as far as we know,) industry-first method for calculating and applying not just the speed of the attack and the release, but their taper as well.

This new algorithm affects not just the compressor’s ‘action’, it also has a profound effect on the psychoacoustic perception of the tone of the compression. Warm and smooth, arguably the most overused marketing terms in the audio world, really do apply in this case.

AR-1 is a gentle beast that’s still capable of cooking a sound to a deliciously charred crisp, so be adventurous and see where she’ll take you!

Gregory Scott - ubk

$99, no iLok dongle required!

Find out more at The House of Kush

Last edited by u b k; 25th June 2019 at 11:01 PM..
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Holy !!! So the "real" RS124 has arrived. Awesome!!! I never suspected Kush... but obviously the BEST choice!
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Addict

These are good times indeed.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

This thing is THE BUSINESS. Amazing.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Addict

Wwwooaahhhhh!!!!! Amazing!!!!
Old 25th June 2019
pho
Gear Head
What a nice surprise! I kept coming back to the RS124 replacement thread twice a day since Mercado made his comment in April. I just literally looked it up again five minutes ago when the Kush message hit my mailbox. Absolutely fantastic! I've kept the old Abbey Roads version alive thru 32Lives since forever, very excited to give this one a go!
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Head

So glad I have the Kush Subscription Bundle!!!!!!!!
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

These Kush release vids are soooo
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
Last weekend I was looking at building a RS124 clone and now this. Excellent demo! I will definitely try it!
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

I dont need this. But i am going to buy this as a thankyou for the lovely podcast.
Congratulations.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pag the LIVR View Post
I dont need this. But i am going to buy this as a thankyou for the lovely podcast.
Congratulations.

Lol, thank you!

And you may not need it, but you will come to depend on it nonetheless, I speak from experience!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 25th June 2019
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

important: why is the colorway not fecal brown? Very disturbing.

Will buy nevertheless.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pag the LIVR View Post
Congratulations.
Cool, can I have yours then??
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

I really like the Green 'Kush!

Zz.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Addict

After messing around with a very, very grabby monster, now the real deal.
Very, very old and very, very good. On it in a few days.
Congrats!
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

This is very very promising. I will try it as soon as I can.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Head

Holy ****ing **** this sounds incredible. Also your music is just... *chef’s kiss* .

Everything about this is so far up my alley. I’ve loved everything else you’ve made. Can’t wait to try this out!

Today is a good day.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Why is hold not included? Does this have like a 2 min release time or something? Is the attack fast enough to to have to have the pop at the front like the old 124 on a non hold setting? I’m traveling and can’t compare with my 124. But I can try it out tonight !
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Anybody installed successfully on studio one pro latest version 64 bit win10?

Thx
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

i can't install on my machine? On ilok manager there's no option to put it on my machine.

Seems to be ilok dongle only.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

What DAW is that in the vid?
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Doesn’t show up in latest logic 10.4.5 High Sierra. I’m on subscription and all other kush plugs show up fine. It is on my ilok though and the au component is installed. Weird
Old 25th June 2019
Same here. Same version of Logic on High Sierra, plugin is in the components folder but not showing up in Logic. Tried installing it twice.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
i can't install on my machine? On ilok manager there's no option to put it on my machine.

Seems to be ilok dongle only.

You have to copy the code and redeem code on the Ilok manager, took me a while to figure that out as no other “dongle not required” kush demo I tried required this technique.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post

Thx
No, It’s not showing up on mine for some reason?!

EDIT: I re-installed into my secondary VST folder (not the one it automatically installed to first time) and it works!
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut
From the video demo, I could probably subscribe for this plugin alone but also because I live in a country where it's not so easy to get one's hands on an ilok dongle. Still hoping I can see that happen one day.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Thx
Yes, just chucked it into my normal Kush plugins folder and it loaded up right away (after it automatically authorized). I have the Kush subscription if that makes any difference. I'm running latest S1 4.x on Win 10 Pro (build 1903).
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thx
Yes installed and been using it since Beta with Win10 64 bit and no issue. Are you having any?? Hope not so you can enjoy this wonderful plugin. A must period as all Kush what can I add more?? hahahha
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_SJL View Post
No, It’s not showing up on mine for some reason?!
Same here (blacklisted)... I sent in a ticket

Hey, are also a Slate subscriber? If so, see if your Th-u plugin is working and report back...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search