The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kush AR-1: Fat, Old, Gritty Tube Compression… No iLok Dongle!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey a newb to Gearslutz here. I was wondering if anyone has the old version of the Abbey Road RS124 compressor plugin that I can use on my mac for comparsion to the Royal Compressor and the AR-1. I used RS124 plugin years ago and loved it (somehow it got away from me). I wanna see how the new plugins stand up to the original. Any help in tracking this one down would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Nathan at Kush (he was VERY helpful) supplied me with a fix. I reverted to older installers (1.0.2- for AR-1 and 1.1.1 for Clariphonic). That worked for me...so far. I'm actually going to put it through it's paces in a project that I was working on before the update. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by rubytopaz; 4 weeks ago at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I held off demoing this thing because I didn't want to have to buy it until more Kush plugins jumped off the ilok dongle train so I could just pay for the monthly subscription with everything in it. But now that it's become painfully clear just how slow going the process will likely be until everything is dongle-less, and seeing how I'm now on my second day of the 10 day demo period and completely in love with it, I'm feeling like a Black Friday sale price will probably lead to a purchase. No question it's one of the best sounding compressor plugins I've tried.
Old 1 week ago
I’m so ready for black friday deal

This is an exceptional compressor plugin

Last edited by EvgenyStudio; 1 week ago at 07:58 PM..
Old 1 day ago
I don't know why there's no vocal presets
But I love it on vocal
Somehow works magically with CLA-2A

This is the setting I like to use for vocal at the moments (tried with two different signers male and female)

I read manual and checked the gain staging topic - so I trying keep threshold at -30 dbu and use input and output as it's 1176. I will chase for 8 db gain reduction on kush GR meter (which in real-world would be around 5 db of GR)
Attached Thumbnails
Kush AR-1: Fat, Old, Gritty Tube Compression… No iLok Dongle!-kush-ar1.jpg  
Old 11 hours ago
Gear Addict

I would love to have a feature to turn off the automatic gain compensation when lowering the threshold.
Old 10 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
I read manual and checked the gain staging topic - so I trying keep threshold at -30 dbu and use input and output as it's 1176. I will chase for 8 db gain reduction on kush GR meter (which in real-world would be around 5 db of GR)
I had a read through the manual just now and didn't see anything that would clarify this for me. How is the Kush GR meter calibrated so that 8db = 5db real-world? I could possibly see this if you were talking levels and on a EU metering scale different to this NY-based plugin company, but a db should be a db should be a db when it comes to GR.
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

Is it because analog meter is slow and digital is fast/actual reduction?
Old 3 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
I had a read through the manual just now and didn't see anything that would clarify this for me. How is the Kush GR meter calibrated so that 8db = 5db real-world? I could possibly see this if you were talking levels and on a EU metering scale different to this NY-based plugin company, but a db should be a db should be a db when it comes to GR.
it's not in the manual. Manual has part about gain staging only.

Check my gif.
on Gain Reduction Scope, GREEN is Waves, Purple is Kush. I increase signal coming into compressors and use the outputs routed to Gain Reduction Scope analyzer plugin to check what's going on. Half way though the gif you can see that I boosted the signal and set the fader at 9 db and Kush shows me 8 db of GR, but Gain Reduction Scope shows only around 3.6 db of GR. And then I matched CLA2A (by adjusting the threshold) to reached 3.5 db of GR and you can see that Gain Reduction Scope and Waves Gain Reduction meter shows pretty much the same numbers.

First, to point out, Waves are using digital peak gain reduction meter in probably all of their plugins. And as you can see Waves GR meter reacts the same as the Gain Reduction Scope utility plugin.

Second, Deckdaddy is right about an analog meter but I would like to add.
Analog meter is a tricky one because it's not just slower than the digital meter (in digital form they would react to RMS of the signal). But they are hard to calibrate. And sometimes when 1176 shows you 5 db of gain reduction it doesn't mean 5 db of gain reduction (on my unit, for example, the needle would be peaking around 10 db of GR but in fact, the signal would reduce the amplitude only by 6 db in peaks so it's pretty healthy while tracking and not to be scared of). You can see it in a lot of hardware. And a lot of guys would tell you that you should know your tool to properly use them.

Also, we have a lot of plugins with analog emulation GUI. And developers are trying to match every aspect of GUI. So when the hardware show 10 db of gain reduction on the meter but in reality, it reduces the signal by 5 db, developers put a mark "10" on their meter when it would reduce the signal only by 5 db. And so on. It's all because analog meters are tricky ones.

Sorry, for the long post and sorry for my grammar
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search