The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sonible releases smart:comp A.I. powered compressor plug-in
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
That's fine but the horrible thing about sidechaining in Logic means that as soon as there are latency inducing plugins kn the first 'layer' of Bus channels then the audio is unavoidably delayed by that latency amount. Basically, sidechain and delay compensation is pretty much broken in Logic. Really sucks as its my favourite DAW for mixing.
Yep exactly the same problem here, hope they will fix this ASAP.
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonio View Post
Hey guys,

good news - our dev team obviously found the (very well hidden!) problem in the code that obviously caused the Cubase crashes. Before sending out the update, we'd like to verify the fix with a couple of users who reported the problem and who can confirm that the new version is working for them.

So if you are affected by the "Cubase Bug", please send me a PM and I'll send you the link to the (non-public) v1.0.2.

Cheers - and thank you for your patience!

I would prefer to have a official update rather than having a try on a non-public beta version. Hope it will be fixed, bein curious about this comp.
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Head

Software smart:comp 1.0.2 available

Hi Guys,

good news - we (sonible) just released the next update for smart:comp! The current version is now 1.0.2.

- If you already have the plug-in installed, simply open the plug-in, go to the settings page and click the "update available" link next to your version number.

- If you didn't download the plug-in yet, simply go to the product page and download the free 30 day trial (www.sonible.com/smartcomp#try)

This update should fix the Cubase freezing bug (when removing the plug-in or closing the DAW), some OpenGL rendering problems and a couple of smaller bugs.

Since particularly graphics problems are really, really hard to debug (since they depend on the graphic card, the driver etc) - please send me a PM with a report if you're still experiencing problems.

Please note that I'm off on vacation now for a week. So if there's something urgent, just get in contact with our support ([email protected]).

Have fun with smart:comp!

Last edited by sonio; 24th August 2019 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Old 25th August 2019
Quick turnaround, looking forward to update as was about to change from Cubase to Reaper
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Cubase ran successfully 4 out of 4 times without a freeze or crash.
Windows 7 64 bit Cubase 10. Light and heavy cpu loads.
Previously freezing 80% of the time. Appears to be fixed with v1.02.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Working with some hardware comps to get THAT sound on single tracks I have to say, if I could keep just one software compressor, it would be smart comp. I use it mainly for sidechain compression and it does that job so exceptionally well!
Old 19th October 2019
News Desk Editor

Grab the plugin (and all the others!) at a 50% discount until the end of October - use the coupon code 'AESNY19' on Sonible's website!
Old 21st October 2019
Lives for gear

@ sonible : 4 months later, any news regarding the UI requests? The meters are still a bit sub par, we need more accurate/useful ones.

Range changed: starts with 2dB increments, then 3, 5 and 10. Gives us bigger visual range where it matters most, 0-9dB. Currently this key range is squished into a tiny portion at the top, while 10-60dB (i.e. wasted) has the entire space.

Numerical/peak readouts above the meters. This is an advanced AI plugin yet there are no numerical readouts? Crazy really. Ferrari without a speedometer :¬)

Peak indicators on meters. Obvs.

Please consider these simple (but damn useful) tweaks
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Head

@ b0se | Again - thank you for your input!

We'd also love to implement every user feedback immediately - but releases and implementations take some time. We listen to all feedback and we're constantly working to improve our product. So stay tuned...
Old 21st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonio View Post
@ b0se | Again - thank you for your input!

We'd also love to implement every user feedback immediately - but releases and implementations take some time. We listen to all feedback and we're constantly working to improve our product. So stay tuned...
Yes appreciate that - was just checking in :¬)

Thanks!
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Maniac
There's still a few not addressed bugs that need to be fixed. And yes the metering isn't up to par I agree. Also the auto gain is always off with at least 0.7dB.
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Addict

And just to add to the requests, will you be adding more preset categories? Thanks.
Old 25th October 2019
Hopefully I haven't already posted a big book that has suggestions for updating this plugin.

I've got a suggestion, and I'll try to be as clear and short as possible.

I suggest allowing users to add 2 more points, for shaping the curvature of the attack and release.

If the shape could be inverted at two or three stages, for both the attack and the release (so that, for example, it could curve down as an inverted sinisoidal shape, and then curve in a sinsoidal direction [in the other direction], up towards the top of where the top meets the full gain reduction amount).

I think it would be even more of an epic compressor, if it had 3 points for bending the attack/release... one in the middle, one closer to the top, and the other closer to the bottom... and to be able to drag each one up or down, and left or right.

Users could draw in all types of different "S curve" shapes, or just add a tiny bit of bending up towards where the corners of the shapings are. All kinds of combinations of being smooth, with some "pumping" types of effects, could be achieved.

If we wanted to get even more complicated with it, we could add a second "hold time" for the middle of the curved (or straight) shape of the slope.

If anybody thinks this is a good idea, please quote me & post a response.

As it is, I am already in love with this compressor.
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Nut

It was an instant buy for me, thinking it really should sound good. But then I tested it on several sources including voice and I always choose something else. Until today this was the result, but then today I tested it on two hard panned acoustics which I had problems with and suddenly it sounded fantastic. The drums where equally bad sounding, in with Smart comp and it again sounded fantastic! I'm not sure if I just have been stupid or if Smartcomp only cut it when everything else fails. Strange ...
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeUppsala View Post
It was an instant buy for me, thinking it really should sound good. But then I tested it on several sources including voice and I always choose something else. Until today this was the result, but then today I tested it on two hard panned acoustics which I had problems with and suddenly it sounded fantastic. The drums where equally bad sounding, in with Smart comp and it again sounded fantastic! I'm not sure if I just have been stupid or if Smartcomp only cut it when everything else fails. Strange ...
I think it works amazing for sidechain compression.
Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeUppsala View Post
I have found it useful as a finisher compressor. After other compressors this rounds the level out. I don't like it by itself.
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I have found it useful as a finisher compressor. After other compressors this rounds the level out. I don't like it by itself.
Yeah it's quite conservative with it's compression so works well on the mix bus.
I think it's also quite transparent when carving out some space for another element in the mix using side chain compression as well. This is probably due to it's spectral nature.

Anyone using Entropy? I have been wondering about that one for a while.
Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love it and I tried to use it in that way as I see a potential for that, but I never managed to make it sound "right" for that purpose. I found it to start pumping very easily. I guess I'm doing something wrong, would you be so kind to share your settings or give me some pointers?
Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
I think it's also quite transparent when carving out some space for another element in the mix using side chain compression as well. This is probably due to it's spectral nature.
This is where it really stands out!
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Have been using it for ducking duties for that very reason. Also use it as a regular comp at times, depending - either way it's a great tool. If i want a 'character' comp i use something else.

Last edited by raal; 30th October 2019 at 04:11 PM..
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
doom64,
I found I like it as a finishing compressor as well, smoothing out any little bumps. I'm curious, do leave the soft clip enabled, which is on by default?
It seems like it should be wrong but I usually leave it enabled.
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Curious, you guys using standard or spectral ducking?

Using the latter myself!
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post

Using the latter myself!
The spectral ducking is definitely more unique and I think it's the coolest function of the plugin, but the non-spectral ducking is still very interesting. I find that it has a very smooth response that I can't seem to get from most other side-chain compression.
Old 30th October 2019
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:

Using the latter myself!
I use standard ducking if i want more of the audible ducking effect (bass sidechained to the kick for the pumping effect on electronic tracks).

I use spectral ducking when i want vocals to sit better in the track, that´s where the spectral ducking does wonders imho.
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
The spectral ducking is definitely more unique and I think it's the coolest function of the plugin, but the non-spectral ducking is still very interesting. I find that it has a very smooth response that I can't seem to get from most other side-chain compression.
Yeah I've yet to find a smoother comp also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
I use standard ducking if i want more of the audible ducking effect (bass sidechained to the kick for the pumping effect on electronic tracks).

I use spectral ducking when i want vocals to sit better in the track, that´s where the spectral ducking does wonders imho.
Same here, spectral is perfect for vocal space!
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah I've yet to find a smoother comp also!

Same here, spectral is perfect for vocal space!
It's definitely replaced the trackspacer here
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
It's definitely replaced the trackspacer here
My main reason for buying it was as an alternative to Trackspacer. Considering the intro price of this plug-in, that buying decision couldn't have been any easier.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Last hours or maybe minutes?
Smart bundle is still at €64.50 if you apply the code AESNY19.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by assessor View Post
Last hours or maybe minutes?
Smart bundle is still at €64.50 if you apply the code AESNY19.
Fack! I wish I could still get this bundle at that price!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search