The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Relab SONSIG Rev A (Algorithmic Reverb)
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Relab SONSIG Rev A (Algorithmic Reverb)

Just had an email for a 10 day ilok (can do computer job too) demo trip. Didn't know anything about the Sonsig Rev A which is algorithmic, a search shows it at Winter NAMM 19 being reported but I find nothing of much detail on search so no meaningful links to anything much about it. It went under my radar. I must say its very impressive, anyone else maybe using, I think existing customers maybe only for now, nothing on site anywhere still. Must be out officially soon.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Just about to demo it!
What a nice surprise.
Relab makes my personal favorite reverbs!
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Addict
Where did you find the demo ? I see nothing on there site.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac

If you are on the mailing list you would have an email about it.
No idea how much $$$ at the moment either.

Stratman
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
Where did you find the demo ? I see nothing on there site.
Hello kmade, it was offered from Relab via a direct email.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
If you are on the mailing list you would have an email about it.
No idea how much $$$ at the moment either.

Stratman
Hello Stratman, no price mentioned anywhere.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

I had to go to work this AM, but got a few minutes to play with it . . . so far it seems similar to many of the other fine offerings on the market, but it does have very easy tweakability, very intuitive interface . . . although even the smallest size is too big for my laptop screen, and the screaming purple color is a tad off-putting.

Immediate take on this one? Still not as "creamy" as the LX480 . . . but then again, I think it's designed for a more "modern" sound. I'm hopelessly stuck on the 80s Lexicon sound. There are several presets for "80s" sound . . . they didn't cut it for me. And wow, presets, there must be over a hundred.

I'll dig in later today. There is character knob, and one that seems to vary the modulation, with a chorusy effect. Also a couple of easy to tweak filters for high frequency decay, etc. Sonically, it's very clean. The quality is obviously there, as I'd expect from Relab.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
Just about to demo it!
What a nice surprise.
Relab makes my personal favorite reverbs!
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Screen grab of plug
Attached Thumbnails
Relab SONSIG Rev A (Algorithmic Reverb)-relab-development-sonsig-reverb-.jpg  
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Ohhh the lushness.......

Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ohhh the lushness.......

Lovely!
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac

There is some serious stuff going on behind the scenes in SONSIG, for these ears anyway its one of the quickest most satisfying verbs I have come across to get what you likely need...minimum effort - maximum satisfaction, who said that? and it does the really tight drum stuff and ambiences well too....the more I fiddle with, I think what a little cracker!
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Does it bring something we've not heard before from other plugins? If not, is it less expensive than others that are on this level sonically?

I love Relab and have most of their stuff, I'm just trying to figure out why someone would buy this vs. the other options. I could demo it, but I'm honestly getting tired of demoing reverb plugz.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Played with it some more. A simplistic description for me would be - Like a a Valhalla verb with a more complex algorithm. It doesn't sound as thin as some of the inexpensive plugins, and the tails hold together well. And it's very easy to adjust/tweak. But I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. Perhaps this is intended to be a low cost entry into their product line. The LX480 remains my favorite reverb plugin.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
And it's very easy to adjust/tweak. But I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. Perhaps this is intended to be a low cost entry into their product line.
You might be right about low cost.
This is from the email ....

The result is an extraordinarily great-sounding reverb plug-in that is simple to use and affordably priced...

I haven’t had time to try it yet.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Is this cheaper because it's derived from the tech of their other plugins? In other words, maybe we shouldn't consider it a 2nd tier product because it's less expensive. It may have been an easier project to develop because of the work done for VSR, 480, etc. that could be rolled into this without much time and expense. With hardware, better components cost more money, but this is just code so we're talking about R&D, much of which came from earlier products.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Does it bring something we've not heard before from other plugins? If not, is it less expensive than others that are on this level sonically?

I love Relab and have most of their stuff, I'm just trying to figure out why someone would buy this vs. the other options. I could demo it, but I'm honestly getting tired of demoing reverb plugz.
I hear you. Yes it does bring tone and other features that I've not seen/heard before in a reverb plugin. I've got a folder full of excellent verbs and believe this holds up in its own way against any of them.

I'd describe it as a 'character' verb. Warm, thick ..... excellent on drums. One of the things that I feel differentiates it is control of the verb attack (character switch) which can be set from the usual onset to non-lin/reverse territory.

The ensemble (chorus) is a wonderful thing. Try it on piano/synths.

The tilt knobs are an easy way to quickly change tonality.

Note the mode settings: REV-A for full bandwidth, 224, and Quantec QRS for darker, lower-fi, more vintage algos. (QRS great on drums!)

Disclaimer: I am one of the beta testers. And I have no idea what the price will eventually be.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

I have to say I would buy a hardware version of this in a heartbeat!
I really hope Relab consider that one day with the new hardware OS for vst.
Would love to take this sound out into the wilderness where it belongs.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have to say I would buy a hardware version of this in a heartbeat!
I really hope Relab consider that one day with the new hardware OS for vst.
Would love to take this sound out into the wilderness where it belongs.
Why not just use a laptop?
Old 20th June 2019
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I'm just trying to figure out why someone would buy this vs. the other options.
I have answer for you. It's one simple word.

SOUND

Old 20th June 2019
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Why not just use a laptop?
Latency for live gigs?
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Unless I'm missing something, Lexicon has not updated any of their reverbs since the PCM 96. At this point, the only hardware unit that still seems to have a following is the M7. The idea that a manufacturer would reverse direction and make hardware units to run their VSTs seems remote at best.

There are so many great older hardware reverb units for live gigs . . . where the extra 10% in perceived quality of something like this new plugin from Relab would get lost.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Because I am all hardware DAWless and mostly because ELK provides Ultra-low latency (below 1ms round-trip)

Plus I like to use other hardware to process with it. I love the flexibility.

IF Relab put all their Reverbs in a box that would be the equivalent of having:
Lexicon 480
TC Reverb system 6000 (stereo)
Lexicon 224
Quantec QRS
And a totally new Sonsig

All in one box.

That is insane to me.

The fact that I have that now in my computer is also insane! What times we live in.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Unless I'm missing something, Lexicon has not updated any of their reverbs since the PCM 96. At this point, the only hardware unit that still seems to have a following is the M7. The idea that a manufacturer would reverse direction and make hardware units to run their VSTs seems remote at best.

There are so many great older hardware reverb units for live gigs . . . where the extra 10% in perceived quality of something like this new plugin from Relab would get lost.
Yeah almost no one is going to spend $5000 or more on a hardware reverb platform.

But look at OTO BAM. Strymon Big Sky.

That is the kind of price point that is possible to port VST to now.

A RELAB Cosmos (or whatever you want to call it : ) running on a $10 ARM processor with a similar price and form factor to Strymon/OTO etc would surely sell.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Head

Hey everyone! Kenneth here from Relab.

We Love that you are all so eager to find out more about our new reverb - Sonsig Rev-A.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have - our "official" launch is coming soon.
Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions. I will supply you with all information as soon as I can.

I will return with more details information regarding the inner-workings soon!

In the meantime, here are some sound examples for you guys:
https://soundcloud.com/relabdevelopm...sound-examples

Thanks!!
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Kenneth.

Thank you for the fantastic reverb!

The 224 and QRS are self-explanatory.

What is the inspiration/influences behind the Rev-A algorithm side?

Any tips/tricks things that are not obvious?

Will it be available before the demo runs out?
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear
That name is unfortunate. I thought that is Relab's take on sosig fattener
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Kenneth. Generous of you to join in here.
Your website states your "mission statement" as

The goal of Relab Development is very simple – to create software that can replace professional and legendary audio hardware.

So far, you have succeeded wonderfully with the 480 and VSR . . . which legendary hardware unit is the SONSIG aimed at?
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
IF Relab put all their Reverbs in a box that would be the equivalent of having:
Lexicon 480
TC Reverb system 6000 (stereo)
Lexicon 224
Quantec QRS
And a totally new Sonsig

All in one box.

That is insane to me.
Most people feel that excitement about their plugin versions. One computer, many simultaneous instances not limited to the engines and discrete outputs within the hardware, stackable, easy to route, and FAR cheaper than hardware. All in one box, just as you like it, in a form which most consider overall superior to hardware (even if hardware still has sonic superiority at times and processing independence).
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted bc6012f View Post
Latency for live gigs?
I suppose, but with an Apollo and a Mac laptop I’m under 2ms latency which is more than low enough, especially for a send reverb effect.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search