The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Relab SONSIG Rev A (Algorithmic Reverb)
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear
All I can say is Sonsig is all over my very indie, niche, algorithmically composed electronic music
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

I damned love this reverb!
Old 29th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
it never occured to my mind that a reverb could sound mainstream
thank you for this
well compared to my old Roland and Sony reverbs (and euro rack spring reverbs) Sonsig is very mainstream
Its 99% perfect but all of us don't appreciate perfection in every situation, some of us like it as an exception
For 100% Sonsig would also have the best of RMX-16
Old 29th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave View Post
It's mainstreamish in a good way yeah.

I meant actual recording as in using midi, audio, cables, interfaces.. I can't imagine many doing accidentally bad recordings in electronic/EDM. More likely people look for ways to introduce some faults in digital audio.

But for what it's worth, I partly agree with you, I still hear some ADAT sync related pops in some of my tunes and reverb does indeed somewhat drown them, but that was 20 years ago when I recorded everything through a digital mixer.

Sorry for off topic, Sonsig is a great reverb, been using it for about a week now .
Yes Sonsig is mainstreamish in a very good way yeah
About the pops and clicks, what I mean specifically is that some vocal tracks still have them, some samples are not chopped very well, and some synth tracks have less than perfect attack sounds
Better rerecord and edit in the daw than hide it, which I think many people will do using the perfect Sonsig
Reverb hides that, which is a bit compromising
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Nut

I just got Sonsig and can nothing but praise it! I love bright reverb and this excels at it, as it can be really bright but still manages to stay in the background. Of course it can do much more and I barely scratched the surface, but another thing that I think it’s awesome at are Ambiances. You can get pretty cool results just by playing with the character and ensemble sliders. I have to admit that this gives me what I often tried to get from the LX480. Performance is really good. One instance is about 1% on my hyper modern, non-overclocked i5 2500k in Reaper (I think that equates to 10-100% in PT, depending on your payment plan).

LX480 users: I almost bought Sonsig for the sale price BUT there is an upgrade option available for LX480 users (I may have stumbled upon it in this thread). It’s not very obvious on their site and I if I remember correctly you have to open their store and there is the upgrade category. If you just go to the Sonsig product page there is no mention of it. When upgrading you will get their reverb bundle which also contains the VSR for 99$! So it’s basically the VSR for free

@ Relab : you should add an upgrade button next to the demo and buy button on the product page. It would have made my decision to buy a lot easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Ugh! No Direct X version? How am I supposed to run this on my cool edit pro 96 rig with windows 3!
There is a VST to Direct X wrapper in the internet. Just open your Netscape Navigator and use AltaVista to google for „Warez“. They must be a huge company, there’s a lot of branches, but price/performance is unbeatable. Got all my Waves stuff there.
Old 18th February 2020
I agree about the brightness, though I think of it more as clarity ("bright" can scare some people). This verb is definitely clear with an open top end.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Mork View Post
I just got Sonsig and can nothing but praise it! I love bright reverb and this excels at it, as it can be really bright but still manages to stay in the background. Of course it can do much more and I barely scratched the surface, but another thing that I think it’s awesome at are Ambiances. You can get pretty cool results just by playing with the character and ensemble sliders. I have to admit that this gives me what I often tried to get from the LX480. Performance is really good. One instance is about 1% on my hyper modern, non-overclocked i5 2500k in Reaper (I think that equates to 10-100% in PT, depending on your payment plan).

LX480 users: I almost bought Sonsig for the sale price BUT there is an upgrade option available for LX480 users (I may have stumbled upon it in this thread). It’s not very obvious on their site and I if I remember correctly you have to open their store and there is the upgrade category. If you just go to the Sonsig product page there is no mention of it. When upgrading you will get their reverb bundle which also contains the VSR for 99$! So it’s basically the VSR for free

@ Relab : you should add an upgrade button next to the demo and buy button on the product page. It would have made my decision to buy a lot easier

There is a VST to Direct X wrapper in the internet. Just open your Netscape Navigator and use AltaVista to google for „Warez“. They must be a huge company, there’s a lot of branches, but price/performance is unbeatable. Got all my Waves stuff there.
Hahaha
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear
This "brightness" is indeed one of the things I love about Sonsig too. ArtsAcoustic Reverb can do a similar brightness where the lowpass filter is completely opened up and you rely on the decay of higher frequencies to limit HF content. ValhallaVintageVerb can't do this because even with the lowpass filter at max, it's still active and chopping off the top end.

I find that this sort of brightness offered by AAR and Sonsig sounds just incredible on synths and other atmospheric sounds.

Last edited by fgimian; 18th February 2020 at 12:04 PM..
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post

I find that this sort of brightness offered by AAR and Sonsig sounds just incredible on synths and other atmospheric sounds.
totally!

i demoed it with my favourite synth for few moments and went straight to the ordering page
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Sonsig was perfect for this track: deep, wide and atmospheric:

It's used for everything, as I only wanted one space (actual space!) for the sounds.

Added an extra vocal layer—heavy low pass—for the last verse lines ("ignite your fire and shine your light, your time is now"), the tail on that is delicious.

So those finding Sonsig somewhat bright, rather than sending direct from say a lead vocal, try creating a parallel track (and send the vocal to it 100%) with a low pass on it, and send that to the reverb instead.

Works better than low passing the reverb send itself as you may want some sparkle up there on certain sounds.
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

This is a lovely tool
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Sonsig was perfect for this track: deep, wide and atmospheric:

This is a lovely tune

Is it one instance of Sonsig for everything or exclusively Sonsig, but different settings?

Also like Supernova a lot, sounds like Blade on Mars listening to Prodigy on an underground rave
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a lovely tune

Is it one instance of Sonsig for everything or exclusively Sonsig, but different settings?

One instance/preset of Sonsig for everything. Vocals, leads, snare etc.

Quote:
Also like Supernova a lot, sounds like Blade on Mars listening to Prodigy on an underground rave

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
This "brightness" is indeed one of the things I love about Sonsig too. ArtsAcoustic Reverb can do a similar brightness where the lowpass filter is completely opened up and you rely on the decay of higher frequencies to limit HF content. ValhallaVintageVerb can't do this because even with the lowpass filter at max, it's still active and chopping off the top end.

I agree with AAR, some reason why it's still the prefered reverb by a lot of known artists.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Completed my tune which heavily uses Sonsig. I broke the rules on this tune and used the reverb as inserts everywhere (primarily because this was originally a tutorial for someone else which I had never thought I'd finish so I didn't setup my sends at the start as I usually do). So there's around 20 Sonsigs here all doing something a little different.

https://sonicelement.bandcamp.com/album/relentless-hope

I used many short reverbs on the percussion and many longer verbs on the melodic parts and effects.

In use, I found the plugin to be so easy to get the result I wanted. I also love how bright it can get (very crispy when Brightness is all the way up). It seemed equally capable at short and long reverb tails, there was never anything metallic going on with short verbs either which was great.

As to my point about CPU, it wasn't an issue in practice on this massive project, but it did measure higher in usage in both Ableton and Cubase against my other reverbs. Luckily, this didn't cause me any drama in the end.
Great progressive trance track!
It shows very well the idea behind this "bright" reverbs with long reverb tails. The same time without too much modulation (which is often a bit the problem with this "vintage" reverbs like Valhalla)
Do you used the "ensemble" and the highest "brightness"?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
Great progressive trance track!
It shows very well the idea behind this "bright" reverbs with long reverb tails. The same time without too much modulation (which is often a bit the problem with this "vintage" reverbs like Valhalla)
Do you used the "ensemble" and the highest "brightness"?
Happy to share some presets from the project. I used some ensemble on most sounds and typically open up Brightness and also 3/4 High Decay too.

I generally like Brightness (which appears to be a lowpass filter) all the way to the right and then use High Decay as my actual brightness control. This is exactly how I would use ArtsAcoustic Reverb too, open up the "hi cut" filter completely and then use the "hi ratio" as my brightness control.

Honestly, I prefer the sound this way for electronic music, but it obviously doesn't sound as realistic if that's what you're going for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Happy to share some presets from the project. I used some ensemble on most sounds and typically open up Brightness and also 3/4 High Decay too.

I generally like Brightness (which appears to be a lowpass filter) all the way to the right and then use High Decay as my actual brightness control. This is exactly how I would use ArtsAcoustic Reverb too, open up the "hi cut" filter completely and then use the "hi ratio" as my brightness control.

Honestly, I prefer the sound this way for electronic music, but it obviously doesn't sound as realistic if that's what you're going for.
The Tilt EQ parameters also have a big influence on the sound. You leave them on "Default"?

Yes, with AAR the use is slightly different. With the additional settings for dumping you can disable the Hi-Cut and use the high ratio for it.

I don't know if anyone uses realistic spaces in electronic music Many people also prefer the Eventide Blackhole, which I wouldn't describe as "realistic", but it sounds damn good
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
The Tilt EQ parameters also have a big influence on the sound. You leave them on "Default"?

Yes, with AAR the use is slightly different. With the additional settings for dumping you can disable the Hi-Cut and use the high ratio for it.

I don't know if anyone uses realistic spaces in electronic music Many people also prefer the Eventide Blackhole, which I wouldn't describe as "realistic", but it sounds damn good
I do tend to use Tilt to remove some of the low end. Otherwise you can always follow the reverb with a highpass filter on an EQ to clean up the lows a bit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just wanted to share my first impressions with Sonsig. Though you can get similar results with Fabfilter Pro-R and the Artsacoustic Reverb, Sonsig sounds a little more expensive and professional reminding me of high-end gear. It's silkier, smoother, just great! Another alternative would be Warmverb from Tone2 which nobody talks about. It has really awesome modulation effects too like chorus ensembles and a roland/boss type of phaser! Really good! But it is sometimes a little buggy!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonDonsen View Post
I just wanted to share my first impressions with Sonsig. Though you can get similar results with Fabfilter Pro-R and the Artsacoustic Reverb, Sonsig sounds a little more expensive and professional reminding me of high-end gear. It's silkier, smoother, just great! Another alternative would be Warmverb from Tone2 which nobody talks about. It has really awesome modulation effects too like chorus ensembles and a roland/boss type of phaser! Really good! But it is sometimes a little buggy!
What Bugs do you suffer?
I am glad that it's calm here on my site...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
What Bugs do you suffer?
I am glad that it's calm here on my site...
Saving and loading your own presets crashes my cubase version 8.5 from time to time.

BTW, Thomann sells Sonsig for 89€ until the end of march.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

how about Denise Perfect Room ? which one do you guys prefer ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by odod View Post
Sonsig and Perfect Room are not even playing the same game (to my ears). I own Sonsig-A. I tried and skipped Perfect Room.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Well, for me it's a no-brainer: Sonsig is one of the very best reverb plugins on the market. Perfect Room... isn't.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In general, there's quite the huge difference between plugin makers for whom reverb plugins are in addition to their other plugins, versus the plugins by guys who've spent a large part of their lives studying reverb... like Relab, 2CAudio, LiquidSonics/Reverb Foundry, Exponential Audio.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
In general, there's quite the huge difference between plugin makers for whom reverb plugins are in addition to their other plugins, versus the plugins by guys who've spent a large part of their lives studying reverb... like Relab, 2CAudio, LiquidSonics/Reverb Foundry, Exponential Audio.
I agree that it's all about the engineers, but the larger companies might employ such engineers who've dedicated themselves to reverb so the size of a company shouldn't stigmatize them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
Perfect room is a strange reverb not really comparable to anything else, not meant to be either hence the name...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Sonsig and Perfect Room are not even playing the same game (to my ears). I own Sonsig-A. I tried and skipped Perfect Room.
Fully agree, tried Perfect Room and it wasn't for me. Couldn't find a good reason to add it to my ever growing collection of reverbs. But that's okay, I don't really need more than 30 anyway..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search