The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio Introduces the Bass Fingers Plugin
Old 18th June 2019
News Desk Editor

Waves Audio Introduces the Bass Fingers Plugin-bass-fingers.jpg

Waves Audio, the world’s leading developer of professional audio signal processing technologies and leading maker of audio plugins for mixing, music production, mastering, sound design, broadcast, post-production and live sound, introduces the Waves Bass Fingers Plugin, an addition to its expanding line of virtual instruments.

Bass Fingers is the most detailed and nuanced finger-style bass virtual instrument in existence. You can lay down authentic and realistic-sounding basslines with the personality of a seasoned bass player—intuitively on your keyboard.

It is a common challenge to create realistic sounding MIDI bass lines, since there is more to it than just notes—you want to hear the expressiveness, the touch of the strings hitting the frets, and all the goodness that happens in between the notes to make a bassline sound like a player and not a computer.
Waves’ Bass Fingers translates your MIDI input into basslines full of character and personality, giving you the same mechanics, variations and dynamics that a seasoned bass player creates naturally across the fretboard. Designed, recorded and edited by highly regarded bass player Or Lubianiker (Marty Friedman, Gus G, Bumblefoot), Bass Fingers is an ultra-natural-sounding, high-performance virtual instrument with an extensive range of articulation and control over your sound—from open string sustain, natural legatos, release and decays, to realistic percussive playing, slides, mechanical noises, and other natural playing effects.

Featuring an extensive sample library that contains 14GB of hand-crafted bass samples, Bass Fingers gives you the most extensive and realistic finger-style bass vocabulary possible.

Bass Fingers features:
  • The most nuanced fingerstyle bass sample library ever created
  • 8 velocity layers and 6 round robins for every sampled note
  • Full 5-string articulation: natural hammer-ons and pull-offs, release and decays, sampled slides, percussive playing & more
  • 21 interactive playing positions with an intelligent adaptive fretboard
  • Automatic string switching
  • Customizable Keyswitch Editor for modifiers and additional bass SFX samples
  • Built-in studio-quality effects
  • Plugin or standalone instrument
  • NKS-ready for NI Komplete Kontrol and Maschine

Bass Fingers is included in the Waves Inspire Virtual Instruments Collection.

To learn more, visit http://www.waves.com/plugins/bass-fingers.
Attached Thumbnails
Waves Audio Introduces the Bass Fingers Plugin-bass-fingers.jpg  

Last edited by The Press Desk; 18th June 2019 at 08:10 PM..
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Waves Bass Fingers

Have to say I prefer Chocolate!

https://www.waves.com/plugins/bass-f...fingers-plugin

Gary Barlow “Bass Fingers sounds great and lets me quickly get a sound that fits the track I’m working on. The pedalboard effects are a lot of fun, and it’s nice to be able to blend between vintage and modern tones.”
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict

I might pick this one up just for some other e bass flavors.
Old 18th June 2019
I wonder how this compares to Modo Bass from IK Multimedia. Hearing the examples, it sounds pretty good. However, it seems to be sample based and needs 14 gigs of space. Modo is more expensive but uses synthesis and sounds awesome with it. I would even say it sounds more realistic. But I might have to take a closer look. Apart from realism, the Waves thing seems to have an interesting flavour in its sound. Around 25 bucks right now. Hmmm....
Old 19th June 2019
Here for the gear

I have only listened to the video demos on the Waves site and a few on YouTube. It kinda sounds dull to me. Kind of flabby on the low end with no real bite on the high end.

Have any of you actually had the chance to check out the actual plugin?
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

I echo that sentiment; waiting for real-world feedback.

I'd like a new flavour, but that 14GB means it's gonna take some convincing...
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear
I bought Scarbee MM & Pre Bass and they sound great in the right hands, but I can't get them to sound very good, they are just too complicated to program imo. I like Ample Bass P Lite 2, which is fantastic for a free plugin, but it's limited, with only 2 articulations and a few slides. The accent articulation only works at 127 velocity so has no variation etc. I'd like the full version (as well at their J bass) but at $120 (currently $89) they are not expensive, but a lot more than this Waves bass. However, 15Gb is a lot. Ample's are just over 3.5GB each.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

The Scarbee basses are still my one and only as they allow you to slide from any note to any note (on the fretboard) with velocity controlled slide speed. This is key to the style of playing I prefer. I don’t know why no one else’s VI Bass has this.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
The Scarbee basses are still my one and only as they allow you to slide from any note to any note (on the fretboard) with velocity controlled slide speed. This is key to the style of playing I prefer. I don’t know why no one else’s VI Bass has this.
This is a nice feature that I don't think even Trilian does as well.

Yeah 14GB.

After using the Waves Grand for a few months, which was also large in size.... it suddenly stopped working and looks for a certain file and crashes every session. It forces me to only play the default patch now.

That's my last Waves instrument.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Nut
If you don't want to use up 15.5GB (and I sure don't), there's also a compressed SD sample library for Bass Fingers you can install instead that's only 2.1GB. Bass Slapper also has a smaller 1GB SD library option.

I haven't tried Bass Fingers yet, but I do have Bass Slapper. I didn't expect Waves to come out with another bass instrument so soon. I'm surprised they haven't offered an extra discount to people who bought Bass Slapper, but it's hard to argue with that $25 intro price.

Last edited by SyneRyder; 20th June 2019 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: corrected that the SD version is a compressed format, not 16-bit as I originally claimed
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What are you talking about?

Modo does this... you can do it with articulations in trillion as well. I think the newer east west bass libraries...
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post

Modo does this... you can do it with articulations in trillion as well. I think the newer east west bass libraries...
Trilian can do it, but I'm not sure if it can be triggered by velocity, which is quite a nice idea. I believe their method was via keyswitch. It was a bit more complex to set up.

I haven't done it in awhile though.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear
I tried to get Scarbee MM Bass to work again and it's just so hard to use for me and I'm not even trying to play it live, I'm just programming in a Logic. I added a trill articulation to the first note. I then decided to transpose the notes down, the trill would then not work, no matter what I tried. I tried using both the articulations set method that I set up as well as the key switch method in the piano roll. I also tried some slides and although I could get them to work, I could not get them how I wanted them.

I love the way Scarbee basses sound in demo's, I just hate using them. I know this is just me, it's not the software, but it's just not easy to use in my opinion. I wonder if I can sell them (Pre Bass and MM Bass) and get enough for one of the Ample Sounds ones?
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Trilian can do it, but I'm not sure if it can be triggered by velocity, which is quite a nice idea. I believe their method was via keyswitch. It was a bit more complex to set up.

I haven't done it in awhile though.
All trillian’s articulations are Keyswitches... Modo (amd I think scarbee) uses the sustain pedal CC with the speed of the slide determined by velocity... I prefer this, but, honestly I draw in all of these articulations after I record a performance so it’s all about the same as far as level of “work”
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post

Trillian has "FX Slides" which are just one shot samples of various slides, but you cannot (for example) play a Bb note on the A string and then slide (at a chosen speed) up 4 frets to a D.

Modo bass allows you to "slide" using the pitch wheel (or some other midi CC) but you cannot change the default bend range of an octave so it's hard to do fast accurate legato slides in the middle of a phrase (as you do when you have your fingers on an actual fretted instrument). Short of meticulously crafting pitch bend data in a midi editor I find it utterly useless for anything requiring musical finesse.

I have no experience with the EW bass library.

UPDATE: I've just been told by a reliable source that I am incorrect about Modo Bass. I shall have to investigate later.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trillian has "FX Slides" which are just one shot samples of various slides, but you cannot (for example) play a Bb note on the A string and then slide (at a chosen speed) up 4 frets to a D.

Modo bass allows you to "slide" using the pitch wheel (or some other midi CC) but you cannot change the default bend range of an octave so it's hard to do fast accurate legato slides in the middle of a phrase (as you do when you have your fingers on an actual fretted instrument). Short of meticulously crafting pitch bend data in a midi editor I find it utterly useless for anything requiring musical finesse.

I have no experience with the EW bass library.

UPDATE: I've just been told by a reliable source that I am incorrect about Modo Bass. I shall have to investigate later.
Yah... you’re off on Modo... as far as trillian, it’s all in how you program the thing... if you dig into it, you can ape the fret slide sound.

There’s a video of George duke and Greg P cutting heads on trillian a few years ago and it’s a great clinic for what you can do in real-time with that (now old) tech. Again, I’m doing this in a recording situation, so, I play first and all of this fancy “real-Er-izer” stuff later on the piano roll, usually...

But, if a piece is requiring all sorts of intricate bass moves, I hire a session bassist...
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Nut

Hey guys, Eyal Amir here. I was the lead developer for the Bass Fingers plugin.

Even though I recently left Waves and started working for another plugin company, I'll very interested to see what you guys think after you demoed it!

I can't say how it compares to any other plugin out there though (MODO, Trillian, etc) - so I'm not much help there.

However: the sample library (sampled by Or Lubianiker) is quite deep, and I hope the legato system is useful for a more natural playing style with less programming/keyswitching.

This is a video Or and I made yesterday showing some bits we like about the plugin:

Anyway, looking forward to reading your comments!
Eyal
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innervisions View Post

Even though I recently left Waves and started working for another plugin company, I'll very interested to see what you guys think after you demoed it!

I can't say how it compares to any other plugin out there though (MODO, Trillian, etc) - so I'm not much help there.

However: the sample library (sampled by Or Lubianiker) is quite deep, and I hope the legato system is useful for a more natural playing style with less programming/keyswitching.

This is a video Or and I made yesterday showing some bits we like about the plugin:

Eyal
Fantastic that you came here to chat about it and the video is really cool and informative. I may actually get the plug in and live with the 15GB! I don't just want to install the 16 bit files.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Fantastic that you came here to chat about it and the video is really cool and informative. I may actually get the plug in and live with the 15GB! I don't just want to install the 16 bit files.
Thanks! I'm always lurking around anyway so it's nice to be able to contribute (or get bashed if people hate the plugin...).

I do agree with you that in the days of music making on laptops, 15GB can be quite a lot... The SD samples are an option of course but they don't sound quite as good and also heavier on the CPU/load times.

The one thing I can say is that we got to this size by having a LOT of velocity layers and round robins + all the notes in every single position... So hopefully the tone variety is worth the massive size (although this is a trade off for sure).
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

Eyal
Nice video Eyal, still a lot to master for a basic player like me (would never thought of those moves , control wise) but very interesting , will give it a spin asap ...

Good luck for the new adventure
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

I haven't tried Bass Fingers yet but I think this is the library that I really wanted Bass Slapper to be - I've used it a few times but it wasn't quite the sound I wanted! The video sounds great, but being a great keyboardist really helps I guess (I'm not!). But I guess even a klutz like me might get something nice out of it

I think regarding the SD library vs the HD library, I appreciate the fact that the SD is available - the load times and memory requirements of SD is worth the trade-off for me.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you for sharing that, Eyal!
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
I haven't tried Bass Fingers yet but I think this is the library that I really wanted Bass Slapper to be - I've used it a few times but it wasn't quite the sound I wanted! The video sounds great, but being a great keyboardist really helps I guess (I'm not!). But I guess even a klutz like me might get something nice out of it

I think regarding the SD library vs the HD library, I appreciate the fact that the SD is available - the load times and memory requirements of SD is worth the trade-off for me.
Well, let me know what you think!
Originally I wanted Bass Fingers to come out around the same time as Bass Slapper (which I worked on too) or shortly after, but it got delayed due to all kinds of internal scheduling issues with other plugins.

Well, at least it's out now.

As for having good keyboard technique: it helps, of course, but one of the cool bits about how we tried to set up the 'engine' here, is that you can also just have a MIDI playback and adjust the playing position/velocity settings.

So no need for advanced keyswitching and all that (even though it's possible). Playing with good dynamics/legato expression will help too, I think, but that's true for any virtual instrument.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, let me know what you think!
Originally I wanted Bass Fingers to come out around the same time as Bass Slapper (which I worked on too) or shortly after, but it got delayed due to all kinds of internal scheduling issues with other plugins.

Well, at least it's out now.

As for having good keyboard technique: it helps, of course, but one of the cool bits about how we tried to set up the 'engine' here, is that you can also just have a MIDI playback and adjust the playing position/velocity settings.

So no need for advanced keyswitching and all that (even though it's possible). Playing with good dynamics/legato expression will help too, I think, but that's true for any virtual instrument.
Is the SD version exactly the same only at 16 bit? Also, will you be able to make a video on how to perform/program slides?

I also think this sounds better than Bass Slapper (which I have). I think BS is still pretty cool, but I was hoping for something that sounded more like "Forget me Knots". I'm sure in the right hands it would be better than I make it sound.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Is the SD version exactly the same only at 16 bit?
Not exactly, the SD version is a compressed format and not Wave files. That's why it also takes a performance toll when loading them (but saves space on your HD). We were trying to use a good compression algorithm but it still doesn't sound as good as the HD version IMO (even though the difference might not be as noticeable, depends on where it sits in your mix.

Quote:
Also, will you be able to make a video on how to perform/program slides?
As for slides, currently they're only featured as one shots: there's a bunch of them going up and down in different speeds, and you can assign them using the keyswitch editor.
Granted - this is not as comprehensive as some other libraries that actually give you "from note X" and "to note Y" slides.

Having that said, there is a very, very large amount of legato (hammer-on/pull-off) samples, which will be triggered automatically according your position and legato settings, so you only have to play legato to get those to trigger.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Not exactly, the SD version is a compressed format and not Wave files. That's why it also takes a performance toll when loading them (but saves space on your HD). We were trying to use a good compression algorithm but it still doesn't sound as good as the HD version IMO (even though the difference might not be as noticeable, depends on where it sits in your mix.

As for slides, currently they're only featured as one shots: there's a bunch of them going up and down in different speeds, and you can assign them using the keyswitch editor.
Granted - this is not as comprehensive as some other libraries that actually give you "from note X" and "to note Y" slides.

Having that said, there is a very, very large amount of legato (hammer-on/pull-off) samples, which will be triggered automatically according your position and legato settings, so you only have to play legato to get those to trigger.
Silly question, but when you say "playing legato", does one not have to overlap the other at all or if one note starts at the exact place the other ends will this trigger those hammer-on/pull off samples?
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you for the SD vs HD info, Eyal. Very-handy to know.

I wondered how the SD zip file could be 13.6% the size of the HD one when I'd have thought it'd be 2/3 the footprint based on the bit depth alone.

Say, have you any insight on the other SD vs HD libs of Waves instruments, Eyal? Electric 200's SD zip is 28.6% the size of the HD one, Bass Slapper's is 21.3% and Grand Rhapsody Piano's is 43.9%.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Addict

The demos kinda sucked though
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Silly question, but when you say "playing legato", does one not have to overlap the other at all or if one note starts at the exact place the other ends will this trigger those hammer-on/pull off samples?
So, it depends.

Let me explain:
In the default legato mode ("realistic") a legato sample (either hammer-on or pull-off, depends on if you're going up or down) happens under two conditions:

1. Two notes are played at the same time
2. A legato between the two notes is actually possible with your current position.

We call this 'realistic' because that's the natural tendency of bass player (go to a close place on the fretboard even it means losing legato for some note movements).

Now, this can be tweaked:
For example, the "Extended" and "Force Legato" modes, will trigger a legato sample regardless of the 'position'.

"Always" mode will give you a legato sample even you just played a single note.

If you like, you can map these mode changes to keyswitches so you can have manual control.
I find that for most use cases, "Realistic" is more "Player-like", at least for my taste.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
The demos kinda sucked though
I wasn't involved with any of the marketing for this plugin (as said, I've left Waves since) but one of my favorite synth bass players, Darrel Freeman, has made a demo I personally really liked:

v=KYFha9NEV6g
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search