The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio Introduces the Bass Fingers Plugin
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
That's your narrow perspective.
Blaming of "ranting" is just trolling. The idea of Forums is conform developers,
but take stand for the end-users, those, who pay the bills.
With 10+ years in GS Forum, huge amount of discussion in different areas (e. g.
Correlation vs. Phase?),
your folk-freaking blunt comments just reveals your non-historic, shortsight mindset.
Harry, it's totally fine to take developers to task, but it's also correct to admit when you are wrong when they prove that to be the case and apologise.

Bass Slapper does slap Bass and bass Fingers does fingered bass (and no slap), simple as that. You tried to imply that Bass Fingers does what Bass Slapper does plus more, which is just not the case.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

This is really nice. An awesome companion for Bass Slapper. I like the fact that this is a bit more of an exotic bass as it covers sonic territories we don't often come across.

The ad does try a bit hard to be all things to all people, but hey, that's marketing departments for you. I only wished the effects were "level balanced" going from one to the next.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

At first I wasn’t convinced by the audio demos but the video with the vst copying the bass guitar sold it to me. Looks like a great amount of versatility and features for the price.
Looking forward to using this when I get my computer set up again.
Old 25th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
At first I wasn’t convinced by the audio demos but the video with the vst copying the bass guitar sold it to me. Looks like a great amount of versatility and features for the price.
Looking forward to using this when I get my computer set up again.

Yeah I think it’s the same for me. Not sure I care for the amp or effects, but that video helped understand the concept better.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Yeah I think it’s the same for me. Not sure I care for the amp or effects, but that video helped understand the concept better.
I can see myself using some of those presets including some of the effects. I liked the disco and funk sounds, even if the one with the wah no longer sounded like a real bass, it was still a funky sound and I'd make it more artificial and synthy, but yeah, I can see what a lot of people would not like those at all.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
This is really nice. An awesome companion for Bass Slapper. I like the fact that this is a bit more of an exotic bass as it covers sonic territories we don't often come across.

The ad does try a bit hard to be all things to all people, but hey, that's marketing departments for you. I only wished the effects were "level balanced" going from one to the next.
Who the hell uses slap bass nowadays??
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
Who the hell uses slap bass nowadays??
Lots of funk and nu-disco type stuff still uses slap and pops and pulls. When people think of slap bass, most think of Level 42, but I always hated that amount of slap.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut

Actually a lot of modern metal (Djent, mostly) use slap bass quite a lot.

For example, this is one of the top results I got on YouTube when I was looking for "Djent Bass":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XwzeyJ-yyg
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innervisions View Post
I definitely appreciate the challenge.

What I would start with is look at the tutorial I made with Or Lubianiker about Bass Slapper when it came out:

Basically, the big deal about Slapper, other than the samples, is that there's some automatic logic there that creates the interaction between the right hand and left hand articulations (as well as all the left hand positioning changes)

For example, if you just play a bass line and alternate with the "Reactive Mute" note on the Bb below the lowest playable B, you can get automatic articulations and 'funkness' that is harder to achieve in other instruments without extensive keyswitching and mapping.

I would even start with running an arpeggiator through slapper, and just randomly holding that Bb once in a while.

So even though I guess it's possible to find a fingered articulation that might sounds 'attacky' and a little 'slappy', the real 'meat' of the slap technique is about the entire range of articulations, and the interplay with the 'thump, 'pop' and left hand which we worked very hard to model.

Another great video. You guys seem super friendly and I love that you are giving a bass lesson using software/keyboard, rather than a software lesson!

Quick question. I am just playing with Bass Slapper in my DAW (Logic Pro) and I want to know how I can program the position changes? There is an automation parameter for position but if I try to use that no moves occur. May be there are key switches?

Btw, those first 3 notes (open string followed by palm mute and a mute) sound like Simply The Best by tina Turner!
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
oh, I see I can edit the key switches to any position!
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Another great video. You guys seem super friendly and I love that you are giving a bass lesson using software/keyboard, rather than a software lesson!

Quick question. I am just playing with Bass Slapper in my DAW (Logic Pro) and I want to know how I can program the position changes? There is an automation parameter for position but if I try to use that no moves occur. May be there are key switches?

Btw, those first 3 notes (open string followed by palm mute and a mute) sound like Simply The Best by tina Turner!
Thanks! You can control the position changes by mapping it to a MIDI CC by using right click->learn.
You can also map a keyswitch to any specific position (1,5, 10, etc) if you just like to jump between a few. I think the default Keyswitch preset has some those already mapped?

This particular parameter isn't exposed through automation, but that's intentional and there's a very good reason for it:

Automation on many DAWs (for example, Ableton Live with VST2) isn't sample-accurate, so if you had automated the position change and placed the change event right where the note is, the note might still be played at the old position.

So we decided that everything that has to be sample accurate is only controlled via MIDI/Keyswitches which we know can always be re-played just as you recorded or programmed them.
Old 25th June 2019
Seems easier just to play a real bass.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
Seems easier just to play a real bass.
Depends. What if you don’t play bass or have a bass guitar or if you’re on an airplane or a train using a laptop to compose a track. Etc. Etc.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

don't trust anyone who calls it 'slap bass'
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
don't trust anyone who calls it 'slap bass'
haha, what should that style of playing be called? I want to be trusted.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
haha, what should that style of playing be called? I want to be trusted.
no worries your name precedes you so this doesn't apply to you haha but everyone else should thump from now on
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks! You can control the position changes by mapping it to a MIDI CC by using right click->learn.
You can also map a keyswitch to any specific position (1,5, 10, etc) if you just like to jump between a few. I think the default Keyswitch preset has some those already mapped?

This particular parameter isn't exposed through automation, but that's intentional and there's a very good reason for it:

Automation on many DAWs (for example, Ableton Live with VST2) isn't sample-accurate, so if you had automated the position change and placed the change event right where the note is, the note might still be played at the old position.

So we decided that everything that has to be sample accurate is only controlled via MIDI/Keyswitches which we know can always be re-played just as you recorded or programmed them.
Thanks. I just mapped 3 positions to 3 keys, but next time I'll use the CC method mapped to the modwheel or something. Cheers

BTW, I'm actually finding I can get Bass Slapper sounding better since watching your video's, so thanks a lot.

Have you tried mixing Bass Fingers with Bass Slapper in a track, so just the odd section, or the odd hit are slapped?
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
no worries your name precedes you so this doesn't apply to you haha but everyone else should thump from now on
OK, I like the term "thump" better, but I have a feeling I'll continue to use the term slap, as I've always referred to it that way.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you tried mixing Bass Fingers with Bass Slapper in a track, so just the odd section, or the odd hit are slapped?
Same bass used for the samples of both VI's, so you'd think so.

How-convincing it turns out to be would depend on one's skills in finessing the MIDI data, ability to match the two sources EQ-wise and of course the similarities of the signal chains used during the sampling sessions.

Assuming they used the same bass, strings and signal chain (DI, preamp and what have you), I'd say the answer would have to be yes.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Same bass used for the samples of both VI's, so you'd think so.

How-convincing it turns out to be would depend on one's skills in finessing the MIDI data, ability to match the two sources EQ-wise and of course the similarities of the signal chains used during the sampling sessions.

Assuming they used the same bass, strings and signal chain (DI, preamp and what have you), I'd say the answer would have to be yes.
Very true!

It is indeed recorded with the same chain.

Matching EQ and levels would take some work, but that's was almost always the case for me even when I recorded (real) fingered and slap bass in the same song...
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

True dat.

You know, if you were still working for Waves I'd suggest you combine the two VI's and sell it as a third product.

A simple implementation of the additional key switches required to select slap or pop as the active layer/s would do the trick, you'd think.

That way, you'd have a complete bass VI except of course for the possible future addition of a picking component... and the opportunity to add that as a separate VI too.

You're 2/3 the way there already, and in fact even-more so 'cause I daresay the picking one should theoretically fit into the Bass Fingers framework perfectly. IOW, simply replacing the samples and setting their levels should just about get you there.

Food for thought? If you do it, I expect a free copy for my "brilliant", if-obvious, idea.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
True dat.

You know, if you were still working for Waves I'd suggest you combine the two VI's and sell it as a third product.
Yep, I hear you about that, and have suggested/made prototypes of similar ideas in the past.

There's no technical problem there, really, except for the very large sample library size which would result in a greater RAM usage and longer loading times.

So I hope that Waves pick it up for the future... Meanwhile, you can implement something similar using your DAWs and just putting it on two MIDI channels/using Ableton Racks/etc.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
I don't have any presets in Bass Fingers. I installed the library in a separate location to the app, but I did the same with Bass Slapper and I have the presets. I always alter the presets, but they can be a good place to start. Any idea how I can get them?
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I don't have any presets in Bass Fingers. I installed the library in a separate location to the app, but I did the same with Bass Slapper and I have the presets. I always alter the presets, but they can be a good place to start. Any idea how I can get them?
That's weird, the presets should be in the plugin regardless of where the library is. I'd try a re-install (without getting the library again) maybe?
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
I will reinstall sometime soon. I've just used Bass Fingers fro the first time and pretty happy with it although I'm sure I will get better.
Old 26th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Great... it takes processing well... as it should! People will be able to process it with whatever their weapons of choice may be. More importantly... in your hour of work with it...

Did you enjoy "playing" it?
I just used this for the first time in a project and it sounds GREAT!!! I am using the CLA Bass plugin which I think is a perfect match for Finger Bass!
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by macster51 View Post
I just used this for the first time in a project and it sounds GREAT!!! I am using the CLA Bass plugin which I think is a perfect match for Finger Bass!
Awesome! Please post sound demos if/when you have them!
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I tried to get Scarbee MM Bass to work again and it's just so hard to use for me and I'm not even trying to play it live, I'm just programming in a Logic. I added a trill articulation to the first note. I then decided to transpose the notes down, the trill would then not work, no matter what I tried. I tried using both the articulations set method that I set up as well as the key switch method in the piano roll. I also tried some slides and although I could get them to work, I could not get them how I wanted them.

I love the way Scarbee basses sound in demo's, I just hate using them. I know this is just me, it's not the software, but it's just not easy to use in my opinion. I wonder if I can sell them (Pre Bass and MM Bass) and get enough for one of the Ample Sounds ones?
If you transpose the Midi for the bass track
down, you are also transposing the keyswitch
that triggers the articulation..that is why it
doesn’t work. Select ONLY the midi notes
that play the bass part and transpose those. Dont select the whole midi track.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
If you transpose the Midi for the bass track
down, you are also transposing the keyswitch
that triggers the articulation..that is why it
doesn’t work. Select ONLY the midi notes
that play the bass part and transpose those. Dont select the whole midi track.
That is what I did.
Old 28th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Awesome! Please post sound demos if/when you have them!
Will do. This was a small project on which I was to enhance the audio on a VHS tape. It was so bad that I had to overdub a bass part on a totally s***ty live 'stereo' mix. The band was a '60s band and I wanted to try Bass Fingers out. I also replaced the kick and snare parts with samples. The Bass Fingers along with the Waves CLA Bass plugin locked into the mix right away and fit the (also '60's style) kit I used for the samples perfectly. I didn't need a lot of the articulations available in the Plugin but it sounded great and was a joy to play.

Right now I'm in the middle of a larger (orchestral) project of which the bass parts are already done. (and are tubas and double basses anyway) Hopefully the next one will allow for the use of the Waves Fingers Bass.

Thanks for all the information and advice you have given to this thread!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search