The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ROGER MAYER releases 456HD-500: 500 Series Tape Simulation Processor
Old 14th June 2019
News Desk Editor

ROGER MAYER releases 456HD-500: 500 Series Tape Simulation Processor-unnamed-19-.jpg

KMR Audio is proud to announce distribution of the Roger Mayer 456HD-500 - a new analogue tape simulation processor for 500 Series from legendary British engineer Roger Mayer, using his proprietary 456HD® process.

Roger established himself in the recording industry while working for guitar luminaries including Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Jimi Hendrix in the 1960's. His Octavia pedal was famously used on Hendrix's Purple Haze solo while recording at Olympic Studios.

Handmade in the UK, the Roger Mayer 456HD-500 is designed as a solid state tape recorder, using a discrete Class A ultra-high speed analogue design to accurately simulate the harmonic and dynamic properties of Ampex 456 used with a Studer A80 tape machine. The 456HD® process continuously reshapes positive and negative peak transients with LF and HF response exceeding that of any vintage multitrack tape recorder.

With the additional benefits of zero latency processing and no tape hiss, we are confident the 456HD-500 offers a unique solution not achievable with other currently available products or software plugins. The Roger Mayer 456HD-500 facilitates "high definition tape recording" - bringing all the desirable sonic advantages of analogue tape processing to your DAW.

Specifications:
Input Level: Nominal -20dB to +4dB unbalanced
Input Impedance: 10kΩ or greater
Output Level: -4dBu or 3.5V peak unbalanced
Output Impedance: 50Ω
Dynamic Range: 96dB
Headroom: Maximum input level +32dBm - internal headroom 20dB
Dimensions: 37mm x 139mm x 133mm (WxDxH)
Weight: 700g
Power Requirements: +16.2V DC @225mA regulated

Pricing & Availability:
RRP: £599 inc VAT (£499.17 ex-VAT)
ETA: Available now

Available worldwide exclusively from KMR Audio: https://www.kmraudio.com/roger-mayer...-emulation.php
Attached Thumbnails
ROGER MAYER releases 456HD-500: 500 Series Tape Simulation Processor-unnamed-19-.jpg  
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru
Wow this is interesting! Wondering how this stacks up w/Zulu. The price and pedigree are right!
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk View Post

KMR Audio is proud to announce distribution of the Roger Mayer 456HD-500 - a new analogue tape simulation processor for 500 Series from legendary British engineer Roger Mayer, using his proprietary 456HD® process.

Roger established himself in the recording industry while working for guitar luminaries including Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Jimi Hendrix in the 1960's. His Octavia pedal was famously used on Hendrix's Purple Haze solo while recording at Olympic Studios.

Handmade in the UK, the Roger Mayer 456HD-500 is designed as a solid state tape recorder, using a discrete Class A ultra-high speed analogue design to accurately simulate the harmonic and dynamic properties of Ampex 456 used with a Studer A80 tape machine. The 456HD® process continuously reshapes positive and negative peak transients with LF and HF response exceeding that of any vintage multitrack tape recorder.

With the additional benefits of zero latency processing and no tape hiss, we are confident the 456HD-500 offers a unique solution not achievable with other currently available products or software plugins. The Roger Mayer 456HD-500 facilitates "high definition tape recording" - bringing all the desirable sonic advantages of analogue tape processing to your DAW.

Specifications:
Input Level: Nominal -20dB to +4dB unbalanced
Input Impedance: 10kΩ or greater
Output Level: -4dBu or 3.5V peak unbalanced
Output Impedance: 50Ω
Dynamic Range: 96dB
Headroom: Maximum input level +32dBm - internal headroom 20dB
Dimensions: 37mm x 139mm x 133mm (WxDxH)
Weight: 700g
Power Requirements: +16.2V DC @225mA regulated

Pricing & Availability:
RRP: £599 inc VAT (£499.17 ex-VAT)
ETA: Available now

Available worldwide exclusively from KMR Audio: https://www.kmraudio.com/roger-mayer...-emulation.php
Is it stereo?
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

I am soooo excited.

Another tape-simulation.

More hiss, more saturation, more of everything that was sh*t and is sh*t.

I am soooo excited about another piece of glorious and expensive BS.

Well... go on.
Old 14th June 2019
Jtt
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
I am soooo excited.

Another tape-simulation.

Well... go on.
Did this product harm you? Are you under an obligation to purchase it?

Or do you just dogmatically belittle someone’s livelihood and hard work without hearing it? (Or even reading the press release.)
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
I am soooo excited.

Another tape-simulation.

Well... go on.
Hey I'm sooo excited another asshat crapping on a new product announcement with a stupid (pointless) agenda.....

Getting rid of hiss is actually a headline in the release (if you bothered to read it), and some people like tape but not the handling..... this will be useful. Maybe go troll the Zulu or Anamod thread since you seem bored.....

Roger Mayer is probably one of the few people on the planet who could pull this off (legitimately), and 500 format is a great thing to offer. Good one!
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt View Post
Did this product harm you? Are you under an obligation to purchase it?

Or do you just dogmatically belittle someone’s livelihood and hard work without hearing it? (Or even reading the press release.)
Dogmatic, misguided nonsense is his party trick, don't you know.
Old 14th June 2019
Saturation was and is ****... heck yea probably (?)... unless it's anything with a bit of rock n roll you aim to do, or play Blues guitar??

Sold my mono stomp box 456 version recently as i keep using tape, to a guy who mostly does drum stuff... boy he's happy how it sits now.
That box had lo and hi controls and the bias control was more a presence/aggression thing so i can't comment in detail on this 500 series version.
But generally, not cheap, not hugely versatile but good sound for sure. Input and output control is where i'd look for the subtleties and sweet spots most.

For most uh contemporary sounds i hear, a 456 or Zulu should be mandatory, both hissless (for the clueless..) and offering sweet saturation to dentistified painful ears, glue etc and all the other crap nobody wants and never wanted hi ho but just sounds good and saves you like 200 bumper sticker plugins if you know how to use it.
Old 14th June 2019
Quote:

Well... go on.
Thanks for granting your permission.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

I look forward to hearing this too

-SD
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

The mono 500 series concept for a gadget like this is weird to me... I mean, it’d be cool for all your mono tracks, but, I’d prefer a stereo or dual mono box if I was gonna go down this particular rabbit hole... that being said, I’ve no doubt that this thing is the business

Last edited by bgood; 14th June 2019 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Sp
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
The mono 500 series concept for a gadget like this is weird to me... I mean, it’d be cool for all your mono tracks, but, I’d prefer a stereo or dual mono box if I was gonna go down this particular rabbit hole... that being said, I’ve no doubt that this thing is the business
He actually does have a stereo half rack box available. It just kinda flies under the radar because he doesn't advertise and doesn't really have any videos or a good amount of clips to hear what it does, etc. And his rack and half rack stuff is very pricey so you don't get people dropping coin to take chances on something when they don't have a lot of examples of what it does. I think the half rack stereo box is like $1250.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Isn't it a repackaged version of this ?
Attached Thumbnails
ROGER MAYER releases 456HD-500: 500 Series Tape Simulation Processor-rogermayer_456stereo_01-ozeebyyibon0ez6ywumaih7uju9qqvpj.jpg  
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
But mono and with fewer options.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
That's the one I mentioned in the post above yours.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Looks like having two of these is better than having none. So nice to see more of this stuff instead of even more preamps and emulations of those preamps. This type of analog processing enriches the 500 world more.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
Looks like having two of these is better than having none.
Slut!

This stuff is quality, too. Haven't had the pleasure of this device, but I know its pedigree.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

What I'd love to know more is this a new generation? Have there been improvements to the circuit? Or is this just a repackaging of the same technology? I'm still somewhat curious about the stereo box. I did hear samples of the guitar pedal version once and they did sound good.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Wow this is interesting! Wondering how this stacks up w/Zulu. The price and pedigree are right!
And Portico 542
Old 16th June 2019
Super curious to hear what people who actually use this have to say about it. Seems like a no-brainer for mastering studios that work completely digitally. I can imagine how the mono version could be particularly useful on vox, snares, kicks...
Old 18th June 2019
the demos of the earlier unit I heard back in the day it seemed to have rather a crisp drive/distortion to the sound...not example a warm tape sound...
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
demos of the earlier unit I heard back in the day it seemed to have rather a crisp drive/distortion to the sound...
Could you be a bit more specific?
Old 18th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Could you be a bit more specific?
the stereo hardware mentioned above...there were some audio demos of it on the website...I cant describe it more than that from memory...
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
...there were some audio demos of it on the website...
Right-o.
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Head

The Who recorded a whole song/ every track through some of these. It’s called be lucky. https://m.youtube.com/results?search...+who+be+lucky+
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyplex View Post
The Who recorded a whole song/ every track through some of these. It’s called be lucky. https://m.youtube.com/results?search...+who+be+lucky+
Certainly sounds like the Who... and sounds great!

Got any more info on the track and how it was... er... tracked?
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Certainly sounds like the Who... and sounds great!

Got any more info on the track and how it was... er... tracked?
If you go to Roger Mayer’s website it says they used 10 units. They tracked, mixed, and mastered using these. There is also a demo on YouTube of someone playing an axe effects or some other emulator for guitar running through the pedal version. I thought it definitely added something to the sound that made the guitar sound more like a real amp. It’s been a while since I saw it but I remember being impressed. I was hunting for one of these for a while but it seems they are hard to come by in the US. At least they were when I was looking.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you go to Roger Mayer’s website it says...
Roger's kit is amazing... I'm not a stranger. But...

I believe these have just dropped.

When anyone gets 500 unit experience, please share.
Old 9th July 2019
Quote:
Roger's kit is amazing... I'm not a stranger. But...

I believe these have just dropped.

When anyone gets 500 unit experience, please share.
Looks to me the crisp drive distortion sound mentioned was the BIAS function in the old stomp box mono and i suppose the rack stereo version. The way the BIAS function is described here for the 500 version (as going between slower and faster speeds) makes me think he dropped that crisp-drive thing (and the hi lo shapers), maybe also because it was problematic in the first place... noisy when turning the knob - though RM said that was solved in the stereo version... generally seems a better deal getting a stereo version.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Wow, I had missed that one. Awful lyrics but the tone sounds a LOT like Face Dances.

Quote:
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search