The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ROGER MAYER releases 456HD-500: 500 Series Tape Simulation Processor
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt View Post
Did this product harm you? Are you under an obligation to purchase it?

Or do you just dogmatically belittle someone’s livelihood and hard work without hearing it? (Or even reading the press release.)
Well said

Product looks very good.
Old 19th July 2019
One just arrived today and it’s great little box.

If you put a vocal from your daw through it , it adds saturation and bit of colour.

I used to have a BBC tape player here and it does a pretty similar thing to what that did to audio.

I’m hoping to get another to try on drum buss and mix buss even.

I have the Overstayer MAS here too. Slightly different “ sound “. And the overstayer has many more options. They are both useful toys, I mean, tools !
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

If you put a vocal from your daw through it , it adds saturation and bit of colour.

I used to have a BBC tape player here and it does a pretty similar thing to what that did to audio.

I’m hoping to get another to try on drum buss and mix buss even.

I have the Overstayer MAS here too. Slightly different “ sound “. And the overstayer has many more options. They are both useful toys, I mean, tools !
Nice to hear. There's so little info on his stuff in general. I'm not even sure where to buy this stuff.

I was interested in the stereo version but again, it's pricey for something that I'm not sure is going to do something I like or not. I wish there were some demo videos and stuff at least showing it in action. It's one thing to download some mp3s but I'd love to see what happens when you twist the knobs. How does it react? How gnarly or subdued does it get?

Even a step up from the 456 stereo unit, I have my eye on his RM58 limiter with the 456 built in. That unit sounded great in the one demo video I found, but again, like most of RM's stuff, there's very little, if anything out there on it.
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSoundExplorer View Post
Well said

Product looks very good.
+1
Old 30th July 2019
I bought the 456-500 a couple of weeks back and its excellent.

Does what my abc tape deck did when i used to bounce a guitar or a vocal through it -- compresses it without it sounding compressed and adds some harmonics.

Going to get another one soon for stereo and possible mix buss duties
Old 1st August 2019
Rab
KMR Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Nice to hear. There's so little info on his stuff in general. I'm not even sure where to buy this stuff.

like most of RM's stuff, there's very little, if anything out there on it.
In the interest of full disclosure, we’re the worldwide distributors for Roger's products - so I won’t get salesy here - but we’ve recently posted a video which puts the 456HD-500 through its paces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZGL590SvZk

Hope that’s of help
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab View Post
In the interest of full disclosure, we’re the worldwide distributors for Roger's products - so I won’t get salesy here - but we’ve recently posted a video which puts the 456HD-500 through its paces:

Hope that’s of help
I can't put my finger on it but it does do something good to the signal. I can hear the compression working nice on the drums though - you can hear it in the presence of the snare really easily. But overall it does do something good in the tone that I like but I can't tell what it is. I don't know - it sounds smoother, or silkier.

What happened to the stereo half rack box? That looked interesting and more convenient for using on masterbus than trying to match two 500 series modules, but I don't see it in the product lineup on your website.

Roger's 456 process is somewhat of a mystery to me because he implements it all over his product line but every implementation seems to be different. For example, the controls on the 500 series are different than the half rack stereo box. His RM58 limiter seems to have the 456 process as well but there's no way to adjust it there. I assume maybe the trim knobs for how hard you hit the process, but there's no bias or presence, etc. I assume it's a single "catch-all" preset?

I'd be more interested in the RM58 as that limiter sounded fantastic in the demo videos as well but I'm not sure how much control you have over the 456 process with no real controls for it. Although I'm not sure if the RM58 is meant to be used as a standalone 456 at times and rather the 456 is designed into the limiter as part of the overall process.

Sorry to be so verbose. I've been interested in these units from afar and there's not much info out there and since I have the ear of someone associated with this stuff, it's a good time to ask questions!
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

I wonder how this compares to the Zulu and Neve 542.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hope that’s of help
Great demo. I’m hearing a pretty significant difference between processed and unprocessed sounds. I bet that sound would stack up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
I wonder how this compares to the Zulu and Neve 542.
I would love to get one and compare it to my Zulu’s. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on an overstayer. Not sure now..
Old 3rd August 2019
Quote:

Hope that’s of help
Hi Rab, is it possible you could link the wav file for these demos under the video? For proper auditioning in the DAW...
Old 5th August 2019
Rab
KMR Audio

Quote:
What happened to the stereo half rack box?
This product has now been discontinued – sorry!

Quote:
Roger's 456 process is somewhat of a mystery to me because he implements it all over his product line but every implementation seems to be different. For example, the controls on the 500 series are different than the half rack stereo box. His RM58 Limiter seems to have the 456 process as well but there's no way to adjust it there. I assume maybe the trim knobs for how hard you hit the process, but there's no bias or presence, etc. I assume it's a single "catch-all" preset?

I'd be more interested in the RM58 as that limiter sounded fantastic in the demo videos as well but I'm not sure how much control you have over the 456 process with no real controls for it. Although I'm not sure if the RM58 is meant to be used as a standalone 456 at times and rather the 456 is designed into the limiter as part of the overall process.
Yes, the RM58 is designed so that the 456 treatment is integral to the processor as a whole rather than as a “bolt on” stage to be used separately. Probably best to approach it in the same way you would a tape machine - hitting it harder for more limiting and saturation or backing off for a more open top end. As you say, the trim knob (combined with gain staging) effectively controls the level of “tape saturation”.

Essentially, in Roger’s mic preamps and limiter, the 456 process is a switchable stage so you can choose between an “ultra clean” or “recording to tape” signal path. If you just want the 456 processor, the 500 Series modules are the way to go.

If you have any further queries just let me know...

Last edited by Rab; 5th August 2019 at 07:56 PM..
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I have the Overstayer MAS here too. Slightly different “ sound “.

Would love to hear more about it relative to the MAS...I have the Overstayer and think it's great...just always curious about other color boxes.
Old 6th August 2019
Rab
KMR Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
is it possible you could link the wav file for these demos under the video? For proper auditioning in the DAW...
WAV or MP3 files can be downloaded from here: https://fidbak.audio/kmraudio/player...04dbe87/edf3be

The demo was recorded "live" so I regret we don't have A/B files available - this is just a straight stereo mix file - exactly the same as in the video, just uncompressed. Hope that's of some use...
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear
anyone compare the 456 to something like an RND 542 or Zulu?
Old 11th September 2019
Here for the gear

I recently got the 456HD-500 and the Portico 542 and did a quick tracking test. Same riff played three times.
Attached Files

Bae1073mpf.mp3 (506.1 KB, 590 views)

Bae1073mpfPortico542ips30.mp3 (504.1 KB, 583 views)

Bae1073mpfRogerMayer456HD-500.mp3 (506.1 KB, 588 views)

Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanw View Post
I recently got the 456HD-500 and the Portico 542 and did a quick tracking test. Same riff played three times.
I can def hear the differences, but not sure which is which. Any chance of running a short clip of a mix or drumbus pattern through these. Much wider range of dynamics and freqs, not sure guitar provides the best way to demonstrate this. It is of course annoying to make and post audio, so anything is appreciated!
Old 16th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
I can def hear the differences, but not sure which is which. Any chance of running a short clip of a mix or drumbus pattern through these. Much wider range of dynamics and freqs, not sure guitar provides the best way to demonstrate this. It is of course annoying to make and post audio, so anything is appreciated!
Yes, I know. The tracking was done thru a pushed BAE preamp, which in itself is like a coloring box, which made the effect even less apparent.

I tested a pair of 456HD-500 on a full mix (not copyright free) and my impression was that I wouldn't use them on mixbus or in mastering unless it was done in parallel. For me the effect was too dramatic and I could not find a way to apply just a little bit of the effect. Maybe it would be different if you mixed into a pair of 456 from the beginning. On drums 456 would probably work well but I haven't tried that. Anything run thru the 456 becomes nicely vintage sounding and sits very well in the mix. Tape plugins sound very lame in comparison.

The 542 could probably be used on mixbus. I have only one 542 so I haven't tried it but I have used the previous 5042 on mixbus. The 542 is a much more modern sounding saturation/coloring box than the 456. The 542 is also much more well behaving than the 456 as you can dial in how much of the different effects (tape/silk) you want. You can always find one or more settings on the 542 that make the source sound sweeter.

I haven't owned a tape machine so I can't say which of the boxes sounds more like real tape. The 456 has a more round sound with harmonics added lower in the frequency spectrum than the 542. Both are much better than plugins in my opinion.

I have basically only used the boxes in tracking so far. My goal is not to saturate or change the sound so much but "take the edge off" and make it sound more "final" so that I don't need plugins so much. The 456 is the one I use much more because it's more vintage sounding. It is also more simple with only the bias to set (I keep input and and output on default). I tend to use the 542 more when something is too dark and dull sounding.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear
Well the 456 sounds quite worth checking out. Im curious whether it just a mix of saturation types, or something else. But this is sometimes kept secret.

had and sold a bunch of these type devices, kept Zulu. I may save up for an anamod, or rebuy some of the others or try 456. So many options. Luckily I did keep audio demos of nearly everything, so we could try swapping some audio for comparisons if you want. I have audio of rnd 542 (prob my least favorite thought still nice), Overstayer mas and bereich03 density (miss both of these, quite similar), summit tpa-200a, and culture vulture standard (which I also kept).

Last edited by fromthepuggle; 17th October 2019 at 01:32 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
I got a pair in today. I'd prefer to let the audio itself do the talking so post some files and I'll run them for you on different settings.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search