The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Audio introduces Discrete 4 Synergy Core - DSP & FPGA Audio Interface
Old 22nd June 2019
Gear Nut
Ok, I expect really good. Really good as in Focusrite scarlett good? Arturia Audiofuse good? RME Babyface good? better?

I look forward because I am inches close to buying a Audiofuse and this is double the price, but comes with enough software goodies and a few hardware too, even though I dont need them over the Arturia.
Old 22nd June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyubomir View Post
Hello Succulence,

The FX pages will be displayed per product. Thanks for your valuable feedback!

We already started doing that with the Orion32+ | Gen 3:
https://en.antelopeaudio.com/product...eatured-fx/#fx
and with the Orion 32HD | Gen 3:
https://en.antelopeaudio.com/product...eatured-fx/#fx

With the new Discrete 4 and Discrete 8 Synergy Core, it will be the same approach, so all will be aware which FX are included in the initial offering and which - are an upgrade.
Excellent, thanks! The first place I actually saw all the included plugins was in an ad I clicked through on Instagram. Their advertising algorithm is working
Old 24th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by misuspita View Post
Ok, I expect really good. Really good as in Focusrite scarlett good? Arturia Audiofuse good? RME Babyface good? better?

I look forward because I am inches close to buying a Audiofuse and this is double the price, but comes with enough software goodies and a few hardware too, even though I dont need them over the Arturia.

Well, let me put it this way, I came from one of the devices you mentioned, and I was not let down.

I am not saying Antelope pres are better than others, as preamps from the brands you mentioned are all really good, but if you know Antelope, then you know how much they care about the quality of sound.
Old 25th June 2019
Company Rep

Hi!

I wanted to share with all of you our product video for the Discrete 4 Synergy Core.
Old 29th June 2019
Here for the gear

Discrete 4 Synergy Core experience

I'm probably one of the first people from this community who have the new Discrete 4 Synergy Core and was thinking of doing a fairly detailed review about it soon. Antelope sent me the device as a replacement for the old Discrete 4, which I purchased in April and they never got to work properly. (I could not even adjust the gain settings or route anything, because the control panel did not work for most of the time)

However, the AFX2DAW plugin, which is needed in order to use the Antelope plugins inside of any DAW, does not work this time either (Yes, I have tried to restart the system and reinstall the software). It's just unbelievable that even their newest device does not work straight out of the box.
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Nut
Can you use the included effects for recording but not print them?

For example, I want to record a electric guitar, I use a Antelope processor to hear the guitar, but I want to record the guitar clean, with no fx applied. Or I want to use the reverb to record a acoustic guitar, or a vocalist, and they want a little reverb, but I dont want the reverb to be recorded. Is that possible?
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

$hitshow.
Old 29th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Can you use the included effects for recording but not print them?

For example, I want to record a electric guitar, I use a Antelope processor to hear the guitar, but I want to record the guitar clean, with no fx applied. Or I want to use the reverb to record a acoustic guitar, or a vocalist, and they want a little reverb, but I dont want the reverb to be recorded. Is that possible?
Yes, you can route the input to two different channels and only record the dry one and use the other one for monitoring.
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi!

When AFX2DAW was announced and teased, it wasn't advertised as compatible with any setup, meaning that we didn't promise compatibility with USB for example or a specific OS. I want to note here that when we released AFX2DAW, we specified that it is for MAC OS only, since the Windows Thunderbolt driver that was needed as a base for AFX2DAW was still in beta. Development for such a driver from nothing takes time and a lot of testing, we took our time in order to make it as good as possible and it came out as the 3rd fastest audio driver ever (the first two are for PCI devices). Development for AFX2DAW on Windows takes more time and we are sorry about that, we just want to take our time when delivering such a feature, since rushing into releases of such software - isn't the best option. If you have purchased AFX2DAW and you are a Windows based user and got it, because you expected it to run on Windows - we will be glad to refund you and make things right.

Please feel free to message me directly.
1.5 years waiting for AFX2DAW on PC is not rushing it, it's 'ignoring it'.

There has been zero movement on the AFX2DAW for PC beta that was announced a couple months ago. If there won't be a release soon for PC that works, yes I'd like a refund.

If AFX2DAW is actually coming sooner than later, I'll keep waiting - it's obvious I'm patient.
Old 1st July 2019
Company Rep

Hi!

The Discrete 8 Synergy Core thread is up, feel free to check it out here.

The product video for Discrete 8 Synergy Core is also now released.

Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

AFX2DAW is not out yet for the Synergy Core

I have just been told that the AFX2DAW feature isn't even out yet for the new devices. No word about this on any webpage.
It just gets more and more disappointing...
Old 1st July 2019
Gear Head

Antelope has now rescinded the offer to refund Discrete Premium owners made just a few posts ago.

Quote:
When AFX2DAW was announced and teased, it wasn't advertised as compatible with any setup, meaning that we didn't promise compatibility with USB for example or a specific OS.
Of course its the fault of naive consumers expected the software to work on maybe Windows, or maybe Mac when it was advertised heavily with no definition. Buyers fault for not knowing was it was a crap shoot because Antelope never promised any specifics on which OS would or wouldn't work, maybe it would only work on Linux, who knows just buy it and find out later.

Quote:
If you have purchased AFX2DAW and you are a Windows based user and got it, because you expected it to run on Windows - we will be glad to refund you and make things right.

Please feel free to message me directly.
So Sam, I then sent you several PM's which were ignored for over a week until I called Antelope, and was told you were to busy to accept calls. LAter I get a PM here on GS saying:

Quote:
I am sorry about that, but the premium bundle itself is not AFX2DAW and we cannot refund it.

I understand that this might be frustrating, but I am limited as to what I can do.

Sam
The PM's I sent explained that I purchased Discrete Premium a year before when Clybourne stated that AFX2DAW was offered as part of Premium, which is why I bought it, not because it had 2 extra channels. AFX2DAW has not delivered for Windows and I would like to take up the offer for Antelope to "make things right", by downgrading Premium to Basic and getting a refund for the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
I've been asked quite a bit which AFX come with Discrete 4/8. The Basic versions of each come with all of these 56 AFX, but the channel strips are limited to 2. When you go Premium you get channel strips for all the analog inputs on each and the upcoming AFX2DAW plugin (which is going to be free for our other FPGA equipped interfaces).

Antelope admits it went back and changed their marketing verbiage AFTER the fact. They initially advertised that AFX2DAW is only available if you buy Premium, then they changed the offer it later as a separate add on and then claim its free with Premium, which contradicts what was stated by Clybourne when they first started selling this package to us.

Antelope, why would you offer a refund in this very thread for your companies admitted mistakes, and then not honor this refund?

Old 2nd July 2019
Company Rep

@ darkswan - Hi!

Firstly, I want to apologise that I didn't answer in a timely manner, because no matter what the reasons were, it is not okay to delay my response for such a long time after I messaged you.

AFX2DAW as a separate purchase bought from us (currently only sold by us), if of course was bought by mistake (thinking it is compatible with Windows via Thunderbolt), in very particular situations can be refunded. I am saying "very particular", since it is written everywhere that is compatible only on MAC via Thunderbolt. The Discrete Premium packs as said by Clybourne include AFX2DAW for free, this doesn't mean that AFX2DAW is the Premium pack, it means that you get it for free with your Premium pack.

On 8th December 2017 in the same thread in which you pointed to Clybourne's comment, he wrote that AFX2DAW will be compatible with MAC and only Thunderbolt, after that it became clear with further comments, also in other threads that AFX2DAW will be compatible only via Thunderbolt due to the bandwidth requirements, that USB can't cover. I want to mention here, that this is not official information, this is not posted on our blog, in our newsletter, nor our official communication channels. If we take in mind that AFX2DAW was only compatible via Thunderbolt and that the Windows Thunderbolt driver wasn't ready back then, couldn't lead you to believe that AFX2DAW will be running on Windows soon, as the driver, the core wasn't ready.

I will have to repeat myself - just because Clybourne said that it is going to be included for free, shouldn't be taken as an official statement. Companies have official communication channels - social media profiles, press releases, blog posts, newsletter campaigns, etc. - a comment from a user on Gearslutz (no matter what he presents himself as), shouldn't be taken as official information. By saying this, I am playing a scenario in my head, in which Intel are coming out with new CPUs and a guy presenting himself as one of their engineers or marketing personnel is saying on Reddit that some really cool new feature will be available with the new processors, do I make the decision to go ahead and buy the processor because of this comment - certainly no. I wouldn't believe that anyone would. I really hope that this doesn't sound like I am trying to contradict what you are saying from the company side, I am commenting on one side as an employee and on the other as a user myself.

In your situation I want to explain again that Premium and AFX2DAW are two different things, the Premium pack gives you AFX2DAW. I am sorry that I went ahead with my comment that I want to help you, because it seems that such promises lead to misunderstanding.

I hope that we can continue our communication in a positive way, as we are here to help and collect your feedback. Your comments have already been sent to our developers.
@ Uke10 - Hi!

There was a misunderstanding with my colleagues from the support department, AFX2DAW is compatible and released for the new Discrete Synergy Core devices. My colleagues will contact you later today. I apologise that you were misinformed.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Sometimes I think about getting an Antelope interface. But in threads like this I remember why I don't trust this company.
Old 2nd July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Sometimes I think about getting an Antelope interface. But in threads like this I remember why I don't trust this company.
totaly agree with you...
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
@ darkswan - Hi!

Firstly, I want to apologise that I didn't answer in a timely manner, because no matter what the reasons were, it is not okay to delay me response for such a long time after I messaged you.

AFX2DAW as a separate purchase bought from us (currently only sold by us), if of course was bought by mistake (thinking it is compatible with Windows via Thunderbolt), in very particular situations can be refunded. I am saying "very particular", since it is written everywhere that is compatible only on MAC via Thunderbolt.
Wrong.

When the Discrete 4 was announced late 2017, AFX2DAW was touted as coming for both MAC and Windows, yet wasn't available on either one. Same with the Thunderbolt - it was 'being developed', but only had USB at that time.

Before making the plunge, I purposely called your company and specifically asked the timeline for when Thunderbolt and AFX2DAW was coming for PC, of which they said both would be done Q1 of 2018.

On top of that, 2 months ago you guys opened up the "beta" of PC AFX2DAW, and there has not been a single update and it still doesnt work.

So yes, you do "owe" PC users AFX2DAW if they purchased on up until late 2018 and changed your marketing and got fired from Sweetwater, or you owe them a refund.
Old 2nd July 2019
Here for the gear

I don't understand all the negativity. I work on a hackintosh and pc and use my discrete that I got december 2017 with usb on the hackintosh and thunderbolt with windows. Because Windows is the OS that I use for work that's where I need the lowest latency and hopefully afx2daw soon. I am actually happy that Antelope is waiting with afx2daw because they rushed with their software previously and for example when they took 8 months with the thunderbolt driver in a beta we now have a great result. No issues with thunderbolt and fastest driver that I have used period. I use the effects in the control panel which isn't really time consuming I don't understand why afx2daw is so needed.
Old 2nd July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomp85 View Post
I don't understand all the negativity. I work on a hackintosh and pc and use my discrete that I got december 2017 with usb on the hackintosh and thunderbolt with windows. Because Windows is the OS that I use for work that's where I need the lowest latency and hopefully afx2daw soon. I am actually happy that Antelope is waiting with afx2daw because they rushed with their software previously and for example when they took 8 months with the thunderbolt driver in a beta we now have a great result. No issues with thunderbolt and fastest driver that I have used period. I use the effects in the control panel which isn't really time consuming I don't understand why afx2daw is so needed.
I have no horse in this race, but it seems as though some audio companies (there are a few repeat offenders on GS) in a rush to 'compete' are announcing products before they appear to have finished developing them, and therefore don't even know if they will work as intended. In some cases, they also end up with delayed releases or over promise/commit and under deliver, and some products that never materialise, and create a bad reputation for themselves.

People get mad at certain companies who play their cards close to their chest and don't typically announce anything before the day they start shipping or even already in the stores. To the most part, those companies products just work, and they end up with fanboys instead of angry customers.

Just saying...
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
@ darkswan - Hi!

The Discrete Premium packs as said by Clybourne include AFX2DAW for free, this doesn't mean that AFX2DAW is the Premium pack, it means that you get it for free with your Premium pack...

I will have to repeat myself - just because Clybourne said that it is going to be included for free, shouldn't be taken as an official statement. Companies have official communication channels - social media profiles, press releases, blog posts, newsletter campaigns, etc. - a comment from a user on Gearslutz (no matter what he presents himself as), shouldn't be taken as official information.
Sam

As I stated in the PM, release AFX2DAW on Windows and all is good.

It is disheartening that after almost 2 years after it was advertised AFX2DAW is still not available for Windows and yet new products are rolling out. It makes existing customers feel as if they are not a priority and the undelivered features are put on the back burner.

Clybourne did not say AFX2DAW was free for Discrete, please reread this very thread. He said in the quote it was part of the Premium Discrete purchase and would be free for other devices. Same as the advertising.

Rewriting Antelope marketing materials after the fact to omit undelivered promises and using that to refuse customers who bought earlier is not justifiable. Outboard is simply not in my workflow, like many others, as I don't want to tie up all my inputs.

Here are links to Antelopes own original marketing materials that advertise AFX4DAW on Thunderbolt for BOTH Windows and Mac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6E6mJuTEiY&t=59s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLJsaNriVxA&t=140s

Quote:
All connectable within the DAW with the new AFX2DAW plugin.
Quote:
Discrete 8 (and 4) will offer USB and Thunderbolt drivers for both Mac and PC platforms.
Honestly, I'm rooting for Antelope's success. I bought the Discrete and want a great product, but Antelope has to make good on it's promises and advertising.

Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Am I the only one believing Clybourne was indeed employed by Antelope? I remember wanting to get the Zen interface (and actually ordered one but then canceled) being convinced he was. None of his posts in all those threads were contested by the company, as he went on referring to his Antelope connections. I now consider myself happy I didn’t fall for it.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut
Wait, wut? Go to the Antelope Discrete 4 (not synergy) topic and see videos of him as an Antelope employee.

Last edited by misuspita; 3rd July 2019 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 3rd July 2019
Company Rep

Hi! @ darkswan @ Fleer @ misuspita

Thank you for your comments, I am more than glad to answer all of your questions and have a conversation with all of you. However, I believe that we have gone offtopic and we should continue in the relevant topics. @ darkswan - I replied to your comment in the AFX2DAW thread.

I think it is fair to keep this thread concentrated on the subject which is the new Discrete 4 Synergy Core, please either message me directly or comment in the topics that are for the products that you are commenting about, I will provide you with a response as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding!
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut

I sent you a PM, however my question was simple: Will there be an ADX2DAW PC plugin being released for the Discrete 4, and if so when?

As I mentioned there's a PC "beta" started, but it doesn't work -- and there has been no movement, updates, or patches on it at all.
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uke10 View Post
Discrete 4 Synergy Core experience

I'm probably one of the first people from this community who have the new Discrete 4 Synergy Core and was thinking of doing a fairly detailed review about it soon. Antelope sent me the device as a replacement for the old Discrete 4, which I purchased in April and they never got to work properly. (I could not even adjust the gain settings or route anything, because the control panel did not work for most of the time)

However, the AFX2DAW plugin, which is needed in order to use the Antelope plugins inside of any DAW, does not work this time either (Yes, I have tried to restart the system and reinstall the software). It's just unbelievable that even their newest device does not work straight out of the box.
I honestly don't even know why people bother with them.

I was first on the bandwagon to purchase the Discrete 4 when it came out. I was building a new rig and Thunderbolt 3 was important to me. But, after digging through Gearslutz and their Facebook group, I got put off...a lot. I believe my posts are still there voicing my concerns, observations and displeasure. Their product functionality is shoddy (they look and sound beautiful), and their customer service leave a lot...a whole lot to be desired! I've lost count the number of times they made promises, switched last minute, or just outright lied to or were dismissive to customers or would-be customers. I even remembered when the D4 debut, it was a lot cheaper. There was no talk that the launch price would be temporary, or any such thing. Yet, I was still tempted to pull the trigger, only to one day come on Gearslutz and noticed that price increased, a lot. The price increase actually did me a favour, because it saved me from purchasing it. I only had enough to get it at its initial launch price. Funny how things work out huh?

Before the D4, I was looking an UAD's Apollo Twin Mk II. Ultimately, I settled on Audient's iD44 and couldn't be happier. Outside of the sound quality of the mic pres, addac and excellent dynamic range of the interface, it was their customer service and support that won me over. How they dealt with their customers and potential customers is what made me give them my money.

I wish AA could step their game up, because we always need competition, but...sigh.
Old 4th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
I honestly don't even know why people bother with them.
Well, I have a Discrete 8, and call me crazy but I am fully satisfied. My device is pretty and well build, it has pristine sound quality and I have acces to a lot of FX.

I was also bummed regarding the afx2daw, but truth be told, I love my device, and all things considered, I never had any problems with my device or second thoughts about my purchase.

I think Antelope lives by the "move fast and break things" philosophy, which is good in some scenarios, problematic in others. I for one like the innovative character of Antelope
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
[*]All effects can be automated in DAW without CPU load, thanks to AFX2DAW Bridge (Mac only)
Is this definitive? Or is a feature in development for Windows too?

As a second question, how many plugins can the Discrete Synergy support? maybe release some percentage points per plugin, as UAD do, it helps customers understand a priori what kind of power do they have on tap.

Because if I track something dry but want to process them with Antelope fx in the DAW I'm SOL if they can't do more than the availible inputs (as UA Arrow does for example, the dsp onboard can't process some fx if in stereo).

Third. Do the headphones have automute feature? (love this on my TC Impact twin). If not, can it be implemented? How do you mute the output quickly? As in panic mode, when you get a feedback loop.

Edit: I found at least some answers in their faq.
Quote:
HOW MANY AFX2DAW PLUGINS CAN I LOAD IN ONE DAW SESSION?
You may load up to 16 AFX2DAW plug in instances per session.
Quote:
HOW MANY AFX PER INSTANCE CAN I USE?
The AFX2DAW Plug in, works as mirror to your FPGA Based Effects.
It loads up to 4 effects per plug in instance.
Quote:
IS AFX2DAW MONO OR STEREO?
It can be used on mono or stereo channels.
Quote:
HOW MANY EFFECTS PER MODEL CAN I LOAD WITH MY AFX2DAW?
It can load the same amount of effects as your Discrete FPGA Engine. The amount of processing power left is marked on the side to each effect when the cursor of the mouse is hovered there.
Quote:
CAN I USE THE AFX2DAW SOFTWARE UNDER USB?
AFX2DAW is currently available only through Thunderbolt for Apple OS X.
Looks like for now, no Antelope for me... until afx2daw goes universal
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Even their "Atomic" clocks are starting to fail now... not much of a half-life.
Underrated comment.
Old 5th July 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Is this definitive? Or is a feature in development for Windows too?

As a second question, how many plugins can the Discrete Synergy support? maybe release some percentage points per plugin, as UAD do, it helps customers understand a priori what kind of power do they have on tap.

Because if I track something dry but want to process them with Antelope fx in the DAW I'm SOL if they can't do more than the availible inputs (as UA Arrow does for example, the dsp onboard can't process some fx if in stereo).

Third. Do the headphones have automute feature? (love this on my TC Impact twin). If not, can it be implemented? How do you mute the output quickly? As in panic mode, when you get a feedback loop.

Edit: I found at least some answers in their faq.

Looks like for now, no Antelope for me... until afx2daw goes universal
Hi!

Thank you for your questions.

AFX2DAW is currently in a closed beta for Windows (it will be available only for Thunderbolt). You can load up to 16 instances of AFX2DAW, in each instance you can load up to 4 effects. We would prefer to have a simple table that will show you how much you can run of each effect, however that is harder to explain with FPGA chips, since some of the effects use the same resources as others and some don't, we are working on making a visual presentation.

As for the automute feature - we haven't implemented such, but that's a great idea and I will forward this to our engineers.

If you have any other questions - please ask!
Old 6th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi!

Thank you for your questions.

AFX2DAW is currently in a closed beta for Windows (it will be available only for Thunderbolt). You can load up to 16 instances of AFX2DAW, in each instance you can load up to 4 effects. We would prefer to have a simple table that will show you how much you can run of each effect, however that is harder to explain with FPGA chips, since some of the effects use the same resources as others and some don't, we are working on making a visual presentation.

As for the automute feature - we haven't implemented such, but that's a great idea and I will forward this to our engineers.

If you have any other questions - please ask!
I want to know the status of the Beta of AFX2DAW for windows.

It started almost 3 months ago, AFX2DAW never worked for PC and is still on its first release with no patches or movement. The main issue however is the beta forum is a dry bone surrounded by tumbleweeds - we keep asking what's going on and no one from Antelope has responded to multiple threads.

For the record, I already PM'd you 2 days as you had asked and haven't gotten a response, specifically about what I just repeated here - again.

As I've proven I'm plenty patient, however I have little patience when it comes to wasting my time.
Old 9th July 2019
Administrator

Quote:
I will have to repeat myself - just because Clybourne said that it is going to be included for free, shouldn't be taken as an official statement. Companies have official communication channels - social media profiles, press releases, blog posts, newsletter campaigns, etc. - a comment from a user on Gearslutz (no matter what he presents himself as), shouldn't be taken as official information.
Hi Sam, just want to help clear this little point up... seems you are unaware that Clybourne is Marcel James who at the time was Sales & Marketing Manager at Antelope Audio, USA.

Met him many times but I agree...nothing should be taken as fact until you see it in an official press release.

Best
G
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search