The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IK Multimedia releases T-RackS Tape Machine Collection for T-RackS 5
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Guru

And I BIG thks to the aliasing mafia , now brands are so scared that we get served 196 Khz sample rates lol

An option like on saturator x to choose between 1x ,2x 4x would be great ....
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
And I BIG thks to the aliasing mafia , now brands are so scared that we get served 196 Khz sample rates lol

An option like on saturator x to choose between 1x ,2x 4x would be great ....
Agree, but that is actually a really good thing. CPUs will catch up, but if one requires quality, processing is the price to pay. IMHO these sound really good.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where are the graphs to tell me how it sounds!
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Where are the graphs to tell me how it sounds!
I need to sear it with my own eyears
Old 12th June 2019
Here for the gear
For $71 dollars and $29 jampoints, I grabbed them. I don't have any tape plugins aside from the Cakewalk ProChannel emulator from Overloud and I haven't been impressed by the Waves ones I've tested. I use IK plugs on most things so I'm sure these will fit the bill when needed.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
I had some time to play with it and tried it alongside Taupe and Softube Tape.

I am impressed, it sounds really good and I think the quality is similar to Taupe. Softube Tape sounded mostly harsh with my source in comparison to the other two.
Now the IK tapes take almost twice as much CPU as Taupe (e.g. IK was doing 17-18% and Taupe around 9%).

Taupe suffers from lasers on some material, but has wider choice of machines. IK on the other hand has more tweakability.

I like tapes and I think I could use IK on master and Taupe on individual tracks.

To me the CPU could be 90% as long as it delivers on realism. You can render your mix down and then "record" it on tape in a separate project.
I think these plugins can be treated with a mindset as if you had a real hardware tape.
It is awesome!
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I am impressed, it sounds really good and I think the quality is similar to Taupe. Softube Tape sounded mostly harsh with my source in comparison to the other two.
Now the IK tapes take almost twice as much CPU as Taupe (e.g. IK was doing 17-18% and Taupe around 9%).

Taupe suffers from lasers on some material, but has wider choice of machines. IK on the other hand has more tweakability.
Taupe and other Nebula programs can't reproduce high levels of tape saturation. CDSoundmaster had to do several plugins to model it.
https://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-s...nline/vtm.html
https://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-s...r2rplugin.html
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Taupe and other Nebula programs can't reproduce high levels of tape saturation. CDSoundmaster had to do several plugins to model it.
https://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-s...nline/vtm.html
https://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-s...r2rplugin.html
This is true, that's why I didn't push it hard, but you can do it with IK
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

I have little hope for this, but HAIL MARY. IKM please put selectable oversampling options on the Tapes. I'm happy that you made these plugins and that NASA let you use their computers to compile it all, the sound is amazing. We love you. Don't ever change.

Allow us the opportunity to go below 196 KHz sample rate and the Tapes will get even more use and smiles.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut

Sounds great, but Airwindows' tape stuff sound close enough using almost negligible amounts of CPU...And it's free.

It's hard to put such a CPU hog to good use during mixing, unless it's made for mastering.

I sincerely hope this is a bug.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
On KVR, Peter stated that these plugins run at 192 Khz internally. That probably explains a chunk of the CPU!
For everybody to note... Sorry that I provided some incorrect info and was corrected by our devs. The internal magnetic recording physical model works at 384 kHz, not 192.

This explains why these emulations sound so accurate. As many here know, analog tape recorders work with a signal that linearises the tape medium (this is simplifying, I know), and the frequency of this signal is always well outside the audio band (for example on the Studer it is 150 kHz). To allow the physical model to run the internal sampling rate can’t be lower than the double of that or this and the true characteristics of the tape machine could not be replicated with authenticity.

This increases CPU load, of course, but as stated above it is the only way to faithfully reproduce what the tape machine/recorder does. Yes, there are already tons of “tape saturators”, but we didn’t wanted to make another one of those. The T-RackS Tape Machine Collection plug-ins are a true digital replica of what happens on the real system as a whole.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Guru

Peter is it normal that custom shop doesn't update itself at launch ?
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
...This increases CPU load, of course, but as stated above it is the only way to faithfully reproduce what the tape machine/recorder does. Yes, there are already tons of “tape saturators”, but we didn’t wanted to make another one of those. The T-RackS Tape Machine Collection plug-ins are a true digital replica of what happens on the real system as a whole.
Ok Peter, fair enough.

However, you can make it way more versatile if you add an "eco" button to it, to make it more useful during mixes, i.e; use it on every track...It'll probably increase sales as well.

Just my two cents.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Peter is it normal that custom shop doesn't update itself at launch ?
For this release, best practice is to just update T-RackS which will install the latest Custom Shop and allow you to try/buy these new plugins. If you're having trouble, reach out to IK Support and they'll troubleshoot with you to see what's happening for you.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
For everybody to note... Sorry that I provided some incorrect info and was corrected by our devs. The internal magnetic recording physical model works at 384 kHz, not 192.

This explains why these emulations sound so accurate. As many here know, analog tape recorders work with a signal that linearises the tape medium (this is simplifying, I know), and the frequency of this signal is always well outside the audio band (for example on the Studer it is 150 kHz). To allow the physical model to run the internal sampling rate can’t be lower than the double of that or this and the true characteristics of the tape machine could not be replicated with authenticity.

This increases CPU load, of course, but as stated above it is the only way to faithfully reproduce what the tape machine/recorder does. Yes, there are already tons of “tape saturators”, but we didn’t wanted to make another one of those. The T-RackS Tape Machine Collection plug-ins are a true digital replica of what happens on the real system as a whole.
Just curious, for those of us using it for music, not film and the end output is 44.1kHz, would there be a consideration for having a base selectable rate for 44.1 kHz vs. 48 kHz? Since you're going to great lengths for oversampling, it seems to be a shame to lose bits at the end stage due to conversion. Just my .02

Congrats on the release.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
So I put it up against some of the other plugins I have and the only one that sounded like it was the Fabfilter Saturn or at least close to the Tape I liked for IK. To be honest, it sounded really close. The Fabfilter sounded a little better when I put it in HQ and added an amazing 4% to the already 2% it was using. Shame on Fabfilter.

Main question, is it worth it? To me, no. I don't see where I would use it.
Tape is to be on multiple tracks or at least a few.

Oh well, Thanks, Marc
Saturn is beast; I'm not surprised.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Though, unlike other products mentioned above, T-RackS Tape Machine Collection is not just a saturator and offers the full tape machine experience. Please see my posts above for more details. I'd recommend giving our tape machines a bit more time while demoing so you can really hear what's going on with the very accurate modeling of these tape machines, not just their saturation or other focused aspects singularly.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Really great! Tape emulations are my favourite plugins!
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
On KVR, Peter stated that these plugins run at 192 Khz internally. That probably explains a chunk of the CPU!
Actually, it's 384kHz!
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
So, is the IK installer now installing only the plugins, that you purchase or are they still bloating the system with trialware, unlicensed plugins, etc.? It's been a major show stopper so far.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Though, unlike other products mentioned above, T-RackS Tape Machine Collection is not just a saturator and offers the full tape machine experience. Please see my posts above for more details. I'd recommend giving our tape machines a bit more time while demoing so you can really hear what's going on with the very accurate modeling of these tape machines, not just their saturation or other focused aspects singularly.
I'm glad IK went the extra mile and did a no compromise version !!!

Congrats and let's hope that down the line, the AMPEX 350/351 will come.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

By the way Peter, when does the intro period ends ?
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
By the way Peter, when does the intro period ends ?
It runs through June 30th. The Tape Machines Collection news has full information, including the full price once that is done.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
I'm glad IK went the extra mile and did a no compromise version !!!

Congrats and let's hope that down the line, the AMPEX 350/351 will come.
Thanks for your support and for the suggestion!
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It runs through June 30th. The Tape Machines Collection news has full information, including the full price once that is done.
Thanks !!!
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Any comparison to their Saturator X tape algos?
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
So, is the IK installer now installing only the plugins, that you purchase or are they still bloating the system with trialware, unlicensed plugins, etc.? It's been a major show stopper so far.
I didn't purchase because I wanted to try first, but it installed everything :( Hopefully there is a way to leave tapes only when I purchase as I am not interested in other plugins.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut

Alright, just compared it to Airwindows ToTape5, which like I said before, is my favorite.

It sounds great, but I could get incredibly similar results with ToTape5.

Have in mind that I'm not a pro, so I don't have the best room, the best monitors and probably not the best ears, but this is my opinion for what it's worth, anyway.

Curious to know if anyone more qualified has done the same comparison...
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by superscan View Post
Just curious, for those of us using it for music, not film and the end output is 44.1kHz, would there be a consideration for having a base selectable rate for 44.1 kHz vs. 48 kHz? Since you're going to great lengths for oversampling, it seems to be a shame to lose bits at the end stage due to conversion. Just my .02

Congrats on the release.
I think Peter explained a few posts earlier, that it has to run at 384 kHz internally in order for their modelling to be accurate. It ceases to be a tape emulation if it is inaccurate and becomes just another tape saturation effect, of which there are several already on the market. It’s a very bloated market being a serious no compromise emulation of tape makes this stand out.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Other then taper booster by nebula goodfellas saturation is my favorite and sounds real and not just distortion. I'll have to demo this this weekend
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search