The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonarworks releases Reference 4.3 - Adds New Features
Old 5th October 2019
  #181
Gear Addict
 

Thanks for the heads up on the new version - haven't got an email yet but I guess they might send them out next week. Just installed it and seems to be working fine here so far - Windows 10 Version 1903.
New(ish) looking interface - thought I had lost my calibration profiles at first but found them when adding presets on the left, phew! Hopefully will work well in my DAW as well.
Old 5th October 2019
  #182
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
From https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/stud...-3-and-beyond/

by Rudi, Sonarworks' Chief Technical Officer
September 30, 2019


I know that Reference 4.3 release wasn’t as seamless as we wanted it to be, so I sat down for a short talk with our CTO Rūdolfs Bundulis about the reasons why. He also gave some neat insights from his previous experience with video and we peered in the crystal ball of what future might hold for the audio industry.


First of all, tell us what you did before Sonarworks?

I worked for a company developing CCTV systems. In a sense it was video streaming, because the surveillance had to be accessed remotely. But in the end it’s all digital signal processing in one way or another.


That’s quite a jump! Anything that surprised you in the audio industry?

Back in the video days we had to deal with a lot of cheap gear where the specs wouldn’t match reality and firmware usually held a lot of surprises. So, coming into the pro audio industry I was almost giddy that I would get to work with these superbly standardized devices complete with rock-steady drivers…


Oh, my. I know where this is going…

Right? Boy, was I wrong. Sure, it’s not as bad, but many times when we get flak about Systemwide acting up, it has been actually the drivers of the audio interface. If you’re just doing plugins like most companies out there, then the DAW essentially isolates your software from the output device. In our case we have 4 plugins and Systemwide which captures all audio and then relays it to the audio interface or DAC. So, with plugins you just need to cover DAW and OS as variables. Systemwide throws in the variable of audio interfaces in terms of models which are in the hundreds out there.


Yeah, Reference 4.3 was a bumpy ride. Can you tell us why?

Sure was bumpy. It was a combination of two things. First of all we did a complete rewrite of the GUI library to make the UI more pretty and responsive. This is where we might’ve bit more than we could chew because the extra development time meant less time to bugfix.

We also underestimated the problems with latency. The previous versions of Systemwide would sometimes give problems with audio synch in online video streaming. The framework rewrite also let us improve it, so we tried to get a version out as fast as we could to validate. Due to the immense machine fragmentation we didn’t catch some issues in-house. Our team isn’t big enough to handle all edge cases. However, we’re lucky to have a great balance of passionate new people and some very experienced software engineers. And to top it all off – they’re all musicians, so they care that in the end the sound is right.

It also didn’t help that right at that time a Windows update put a spanner in the works for us. At the same time I’m proud of my team that we were able to release Reference 4.3.1 to 4.3.5 versions out there so fast. And those users who still had issues could always fall back to legacy versions we keep public. The trouble was a worthwhile trade-off, because the new Systemwide is way easier to maintain and will open avenues for new features. I’d say you can get the first glimpse of this in Reference 4.4 which is currently out in beta.


What about zero latency for Systemwide?

There is no such thing as true zero latency. You can make software super fast, so it’s essentially zero latency, but crunching numbers always takes time. For example your audio device will always need to have some buffer to work in a stable manner. The thing with Systemwide is that we took the seamless route of integrating it into system audio, so it uses the system mixer which is slower. In the future we might write our own ASIO driver, so Systemwide will have just twice the latency of the audio device.


So, we lose the plugin altogether?

There are people who work exclusively in DAW, so a plugin will always make more sense for them. Systemwide would be some extra window which would take them out of their preferred environment. At the same time, we could let you use MIDI to control Systemwide, thus making it truly invisible.


What do you think would be the perfect Sonarworks Reference product?

Really depends on the user. Being just a software makes us very flexible. At the same time, if you’re renting a studio then an in-the-rig DSP box makes way more sense. It needs to be plug and play, so you just bring your computer over and everything sounds perfect. Maybe it could be a wireless DAC or monitor controller with DSP.


What do you think is the future of audio?

Most of the audio right now is streaming and these guys seem to be super focussed on codecs. So, essentially they are improving the transport so there’s less server spooling and maybe bake in some DRM along the way to copy-protect. Sure this won’t let you rip audio in the OS, but in the end it’s still a PCM stream which can be recorded by a digital receiver. The sad part is that the user experience gets no real benefit from this. You’re still doing the actual listening on headphones or speakers based on half a century old tech.
Old 5th October 2019
  #183
adl
Lives for gear
 
adl's Avatar
 

Thanks for the headsup about the update, just installed it and it works fine so far.
Now, as a windows user i can finally use Sonarworks systemwide via my (RME) ASIO driver, where i am not sure, if i now need the sonarworks plugin inside my DAW anymore, as all audio should be routed (and corrected with sonarworks) through the systemwide ASIO RME, right? I use the same I/O in my DAW as i use for my Systemaudio (basically 1+2), not sure if there is any benefit of using a different I/O for DAW and Systemaudio, if so please enlighten me).
I just want to prevent getting a "double sonarworks corrected" signal out of my speakers or headphones.
Old 6th October 2019
  #184
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
Thanks for the headsup about the update, just installed it and it works fine so far.
Now, as a windows user i can finally use Sonarworks systemwide via my (RME) ASIO driver, where i am not sure, if i now need the sonarworks plugin inside my DAW anymore, as all audio should be routed (and corrected with sonarworks) through the systemwide ASIO RME, right? I use the same I/O in my DAW as i use for my Systemaudio (basically 1+2), not sure if there is any benefit of using a different I/O for DAW and Systemaudio, if so please enlighten me).
I just want to prevent getting a "double sonarworks corrected" signal out of my speakers or headphones.
Systemwide will detect if you add a Reference plugin and disable itself.

I would still recommend the plugin because ASIO is the purest sound quality you can get. Plus, using ASIO inside of a DAW is typically more stable than other options.
Old 6th October 2019
  #185
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Systemwide will detect if you add a Reference plugin and disable itself.

I would still recommend the plugin because ASIO is the purest sound quality you can get. Plus, using ASIO inside of a DAW is typically more stable than other options.
Agreed.
Old 6th October 2019
  #186
adl
Lives for gear
 
adl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Systemwide will detect if you add a Reference plugin and disable itself.

I would still recommend the plugin because ASIO is the purest sound quality you can get. Plus, using ASIO inside of a DAW is typically more stable than other options.
Thanks! Let's hope the detection works 100%. But how does it work, when I got the DAW open and want to hear some music over Spotify for example. Is Sonarworks systemwide disabled (because of the plugin running in the background of my DAW) and there will be no correction of Spotify? Cause that wouldn't be any good. Or should I set up for example out 3+4 for my DAW and out 1+2 for my systemwide sound? Would that way both correction work independently from each other?
Old 8th October 2019
  #187
Gear Maniac
 

Is anyone else using Sonarworks with Focal Alpha 80s?

These monitors have a 30hz extended low end, which is like having a sub that cannot be turned off.
I am wondering if this is throwing my measurements off, and if there is any way that I can off-set that?

I have a massive bump at 50hz of 18dB in one monitor. Installing superchunk bass traps has reduced it to 12dB, but I am left wondering if it is the extended low end of these monitors that is significantly throwing things off.
Old 9th October 2019
  #188
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
Is anyone else using Sonarworks with Focal Alpha 80s?

These monitors have a 30hz extended low end, which is like having a sub that cannot be turned off.
I am wondering if this is throwing my measurements off, and if there is any way that I can off-set that?

I have a massive bump at 50hz of 18dB in one monitor. Installing superchunk bass traps has reduced it to 12dB, but I am left wondering if it is the extended low end of these monitors that is significantly throwing things off.
Sounds like your room, not the monitors. Have you tried a gentle high pass on your monitor path? At the end of the day, Sonarworks is applying corrective EQ. If the software will only manage 6dB of correction try doing it elsewhere. I've seen some serious engineers high pass their monitor path to improve the performance of their system.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #189
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaE View Post
Sounds like your room, not the monitors. Have you tried a gentle high pass on your monitor path? At the end of the day, Sonarworks is applying corrective EQ. If the software will only manage 6dB of correction try doing it elsewhere. I've seen some serious engineers high pass their monitor path to improve the performance of their system.
The 'superchunk' bass traps reduced the 50hz resonance by 6-7db. Sonarworks corrected it from there just fine.
I'm just curious about whether the extended low end on these speakers is affecting the calibration process, as unlike a sub it can't be disabled.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #190
Lives for gear
4.4 is released. Loving the Calibration Presets Sidebar. Ideal for me as I have a couple of different interfaces and a few sets of studio monitors.

A welcome addition.

https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/release-notes/
Old 4 weeks ago
  #191
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
4.4 is released. Loving the Calibration Presets Sidebar. Ideal for me as I have a couple of different interfaces and a few sets of studio monitors.

A welcome addition.

https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/release-notes/
And most importantly - seems to be working ok.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #192
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar View Post
Wow, so many problems?? I was about to try it out, but with so many fail reports I'm scared away for ever!
Don't worry got the systemwide for mac a while back . But built a homestudio. Got it up and running and then updated it and it works just fine. No quirks sometimes there are crashes but that's just computers and macs in general.

I can't really imagine to be without it now. It's amazing when mixing and producing. I actually have control over my music in a way I didn't have before.

Last edited by Spacedude; 3 weeks ago at 11:45 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 3 weeks ago
  #193
Lives for gear
 
d.dot's Avatar
 

I just installed 4.4.1 headphone edition. Systemwide completely fails to load on startup. Manually launching the app does nothing. Mojave 10.14.6
Old 3 weeks ago
  #194
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dot View Post
I just installed 4.4.1 headphone edition. Systemwide completely fails to load on startup. Manually launching the app does nothing. Mojave 10.14.6
I had this ion Windows and even rolling back to previous version didn't fix it.
Support got me to remove this config file which worked

Quote:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Sonarworks\Reference 4\Systemwide\Systemwidecfg.db.
No idea if this will work on Mac or where you would find the equivalent file though.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #195
Lives for gear
 
d.dot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
I had this ion Windows and even rolling back to previous version didn't fix it.
Support got me to remove this config file which worked



No idea if this will work on Mac or where you would find the equivalent file though.
Thanks. I'm not alone I see.

I just tried to login to contact support. The site is telling me my email is not registered even though they sent me the update info email this morning. Normally I don't do this but,
Old 2 weeks ago
  #196
Gear Addict
 

Why does it state you are on the latest version 4.4.0.156 when checking for updates from within the Systemwide app and there is a newer version 4.4.1.44 out?

Anyone using Windows 10 x64 updated to this latest version 4.4.1.44 yet and if so how are you finding it?

Cheers.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #197
Lives for gear
 
d.dot's Avatar
 

Support got back to me promptly..

The file I was instructed to remove: ~/Library/Sonarworks/Reference 4/Systemwide/Systemwidecfg.db

On MacOS. This fixed the issue.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #198
Gear Addict
 

Another release all ready - version 4.4.1.49.
Any experiences of this one?
When utilising the "check for updates" function, the app still states I am on the latest version when it is 2 versions back now.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #199
adl
Lives for gear
 
adl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Another release all ready - version 4.4.1.49.
Any experiences of this one?
When utilising the "check for updates" function, the app still states I am on the latest version when it is 2 versions back now.
I think one of the newer version fixes the update search. Just install it over your version manually.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump