The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sonarworks releases Reference 4.3 - Adds New Features
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey Everyone,

Karl here from SW support!

It's a lengthy thread to address everything, I'll try my best to touch on the major stuff. Before I proceed though, it should be mentioned that our presence on channels like this hasn't been very consistent - our apologies for that. Except for Rudi from our marketing team, kudos to him for his sleepless nights on Gearslutz, social media and other platforms! Also, keep in mind that despite being a recognized name worldwide, we’re still running a startup here on very limited resources too.

Nonetheless, we’re doing our best to address all of the software issues and feature requests as quickly as we can. There is a huge amount of work going on behind the scenes and we are very proud of the milestones our developers have been able to hit this year, not least with the help and contribution of other departments and all the people involved.

The reason why we’ve had so many setbacks lately is the new Systemwide driver. In short, we’ve rebuilt Systemwide from the ground up - new driver, new looks, new features and functionality - everything’s brand new. Taking on Systemwide for a complete re-build is quite the challenge, to say the least. Obviously, there are some unforeseen consequences attached, as it is impossible to test on all hardware/software setup combinations out there (BTW, huge thanks to the brave souls of Sonarworks Beta Community facebook group and others who installed and tested each iteration of the 4.3 Beta - the blood, sweat and tears you’ve suffered shall not be in vain!!!).

Eventually, a point comes when a limit on testing possibilities simply forces us to release and deal with it. It’s often the case that trial by fire is the best thing you can do to step up your game too, but for those of you getting stuck with the new update for any reason - the previous versions are always available on the legacy downloads page. Naturally, it’s always a bit disappointing to see people push the narrative of “don’t update, it sucks”, especially having put all that hard work into it (see the release notes for 4.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 here to get a better understanding of what I’m on about - the list of bug fixes implemented is very extensive, it’s no just new features). It’s also very difficult to assess the scope of issues when you have users running many different versions of the software and avoiding the latest ones. But that’s an unavoidable part of the job description and totally understandable - people have work to attend to. Many of us simply don't have time for investigating, collecting crash logs, taking screen captures and all that lot. Not to mention the idea of being a tester for any of the software you’ve bought and paid for in the first place.

It does, however, help us a great deal if you can find time to contact us - those details make all the difference for the time it takes to investigate the given problem for a fix. I’ll briefly go over the current state and things we’re looking for:

1. The new ‘Restart Audio Playback Enige’ feature - implemented and working. The Playback Engine failure dialog also implemented and the false failure dialog on start-up is fixed. We are now monitoring the playback engine performance and the behavior of the failure dialog, if it’s popping up where it shouldn’t, please let us know (BTW, disconnecting your interface during playback doesn’t count - that’s perfectly reasonable for the message appear :DDD ). Aslo, all notifications can be turned off in the Settings.

2. The new output device takeover logic implemented in working as intended, and of course an ON/OFF function implemented too, after getting a ton of feedback from users having issues with it. Detailed explanation here.

3. Most audio dropouts/stutters taken care of, but some still left out there. Confirmed on Windows + audio interface, but not really confirmed using Systemwide with built-in output instead. Some weird behavior on Mac too, but nothing exact confirmed. Note that 4.3 is only stable and officially supported from OS 10.12 onward - audio artifacts are expected if you’re running 4.3 on an older OS version. Please contact us if you’re experiencing any of those issues - this one’s high priority and we’re lacking the information we need!

4. Systemwide is now showing up as Windows Audio in Studio One output settings. It’s fully functional with the exception of Exclusive Mode in Studio One - it has to be turned off. If not, a constant error message of a stereo configuration error will keep popping up (so far it seems like it’s a Studio One issue, more on that on our FAQ page soon).

5. AU plugin in Logic - ongoing issue of Logic crashing, when Reference is being operated on the master output. This one’s been around for a very long time, more so lately. We still haven’t managed to replicate the problem on any of our testing machines or get anywhere despite having sent proper crash logs by a couple of users. Please contact us if you’re available for a Teamviewer session if you’re having this issue!

There is always more stuff to add, don’t dispair if you don’t see an issue you’re getting stuck with mentioned here - there is a long list of bugs and edge cases still to be taken care of. Also, we cannot promise to catch threads like these in time or comment on them, I hope you don’t hold it against us. Write to us at [email protected] or submit a support ticket here (we prefer the latter as it makes our job a little easier). We also have some plans on modifying our FAQ and Community Page sections in the coming months, make it easier to use, look a little nicer and few other things too - should make it easier to find things and start your own threads. The idea is to make it a place you actually want to go to, if having a bad day

Spiral Out, Keep Going!

Kārlis Stenders
Head of Support at Sonarworks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lovely to have your presence here Karlis.
I don’t know why but without updating since the last one, systemwide for the headphone version has stopped being glitchy over the last few days. No stutter or dropout most of the time. Not perfect, but very much improved for some reason. Hope you guys perfect it!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Karlis, the newest build (4.3.5) seems to work much better here, but I still need to "Restart Audio Playback Engine" once after having started up my PC. This is with Windows 10 1903 and an RME Fireface 800. I submitted an official support request, but the issue is fairly minor compared to what I was experiencing in prior builds.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by karluha View Post
Hey Everyone,

Karl here from SW support!

It's a lengthy thread to address everything, I'll try my best to touch on the major stuff. Before I proceed though, it should be mentioned that our presence on channels like this hasn't been very consistent - our apologies for that. Except for Rudi from our marketing team, kudos to him for his sleepless nights on Gearslutz, social media and other platforms! Also, keep in mind that despite being a recognized name worldwide, we’re still running a startup here on very limited resources too.

Nonetheless, we’re doing our best to address all of the software issues and feature requests as quickly as we can. There is a huge amount of work going on behind the scenes and we are very proud of the milestones our developers have been able to hit this year, not least with the help and contribution of other departments and all the people involved.

The reason why we’ve had so many setbacks lately is the new Systemwide driver. In short, we’ve rebuilt Systemwide from the ground up - new driver, new looks, new features and functionality - everything’s brand new. Taking on Systemwide for a complete re-build is quite the challenge, to say the least. Obviously, there are some unforeseen consequences attached, as it is impossible to test on all hardware/software setup combinations out there (BTW, huge thanks to the brave souls of Sonarworks Beta Community facebook group and others who installed and tested each iteration of the 4.3 Beta - the blood, sweat and tears you’ve suffered shall not be in vain!!!).

Eventually, a point comes when a limit on testing possibilities simply forces us to release and deal with it. It’s often the case that trial by fire is the best thing you can do to step up your game too, but for those of you getting stuck with the new update for any reason - the previous versions are always available on the legacy downloads page. Naturally, it’s always a bit disappointing to see people push the narrative of “don’t update, it sucks”, especially having put all that hard work into it (see the release notes for 4.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 here to get a better understanding of what I’m on about - the list of bug fixes implemented is very extensive, it’s no just new features). It’s also very difficult to assess the scope of issues when you have users running many different versions of the software and avoiding the latest ones. But that’s an unavoidable part of the job description and totally understandable - people have work to attend to. Many of us simply don't have time for investigating, collecting crash logs, taking screen captures and all that lot. Not to mention the idea of being a tester for any of the software you’ve bought and paid for in the first place.

It does, however, help us a great deal if you can find time to contact us - those details make all the difference for the time it takes to investigate the given problem for a fix. I’ll briefly go over the current state and things we’re looking for:

1. The new ‘Restart Audio Playback Enige’ feature - implemented and working. The Playback Engine failure dialog also implemented and the false failure dialog on start-up is fixed. We are now monitoring the playback engine performance and the behavior of the failure dialog, if it’s popping up where it shouldn’t, please let us know (BTW, disconnecting your interface during playback doesn’t count - that’s perfectly reasonable for the message appear :DDD ). Aslo, all notifications can be turned off in the Settings.

2. The new output device takeover logic implemented in working as intended, and of course an ON/OFF function implemented too, after getting a ton of feedback from users having issues with it. Detailed explanation here.

3. Most audio dropouts/stutters taken care of, but some still left out there. Confirmed on Windows + audio interface, but not really confirmed using Systemwide with built-in output instead. Some weird behavior on Mac too, but nothing exact confirmed. Note that 4.3 is only stable and officially supported from OS 10.12 onward - audio artifacts are expected if you’re running 4.3 on an older OS version. Please contact us if you’re experiencing any of those issues - this one’s high priority and we’re lacking the information we need!

4. Systemwide is now showing up as Windows Audio in Studio One output settings. It’s fully functional with the exception of Exclusive Mode in Studio One - it has to be turned off. If not, a constant error message of a stereo configuration error will keep popping up (so far it seems like it’s a Studio One issue, more on that on our FAQ page soon).

5. AU plugin in Logic - ongoing issue of Logic crashing, when Reference is being operated on the master output. This one’s been around for a very long time, more so lately. We still haven’t managed to replicate the problem on any of our testing machines or get anywhere despite having sent proper crash logs by a couple of users. Please contact us if you’re available for a Teamviewer session if you’re having this issue!

There is always more stuff to add, don’t dispair if you don’t see an issue you’re getting stuck with mentioned here - there is a long list of bugs and edge cases still to be taken care of. Also, we cannot promise to catch threads like these in time or comment on them, I hope you don’t hold it against us. Write to us at [email protected] or submit a support ticket here (we prefer the latter as it makes our job a little easier). We also have some plans on modifying our FAQ and Community Page sections in the coming months, make it easier to use, look a little nicer and few other things too - should make it easier to find things and start your own threads. The idea is to make it a place you actually want to go to, if having a bad day

Spiral Out, Keep Going!

Kārlis Stenders
Head of Support at Sonarworks
Thanks for the update. I will say that although I think what your company is achieving is awesome, your company’s communication about version updates are pretty much non-existent.

It would be useful to email your customer base when an update becomes available and not through an irregular newsletter.

Keep up the good work!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Systemwide keeps crashing and becoming unresponsive on me when resuming from sleep mode after the last update. I have to force it to close in Windows task manager to re-open it and get system audio back on Win10. I really wish these guys would get it together. I love their software, but the last bunch of releases have been buggy messes and an exercise in frustration a lot of the time. Systemwide mostly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Thanks for the update. I will say that although I think what your company is achieving is awesome, your company’s communication about version updates are pretty much non-existent.

It would be useful to email your customer base when an update becomes available and not through an irregular newsletter.

Keep up the good work!
Hey!

We are actually sending out mail regarding the updates every time we have an official release as well as other topics like new posts in our blog section (all new as well, some really cool content there, if you haven't yet visited).

If you're not getting those newsletters you're probably not on the mailing list for some reason. To join, go to the blog page here and enter your email address at the bottom. Also, in the coming 4.4 there will finally be an 'update available' notification too. By the way, a big surprise is coming in 4.4 - another widely requested feature will be implemented, and it's a big one!. Stay tuned for the 4.4 Beta, it should be available in the installer later this week.

We'll also look into the crash that soapmak3r mentioned, please contact us here regarding that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey!

We are actually sending out mail regarding the updates every time we have an official release as well as other topics like new posts in our blog section (all new as well, some really cool content there, if you haven't yet visited).

If you're not getting those newsletters you're probably not on the mailing list for some reason. To join, go to the blog page here and enter your email address at the bottom. Also, in the coming 4.4 there will finally be an 'update available' notification too. By the way, a big surprise is coming in 4.4 - another widely requested feature will be implemented, and it's a big one!. Stay tuned for the 4.4 Beta, it should be available in the installer later this week.

We'll also look into the crash that soapmak3r mentioned, please contact us here regarding that.
Hi

I am on the mailing list and I do receive your newsletters. I was referring to dot version releases. For example, the last newsletter I received from Sonarworks was about the eBook and at the bottom of the email there was reference to the 4.3.5 release. I received this newsletter on 22.08.19. However, 4.3.5.1 was actually released on 14.08.19. 4.3.4 was released on 13.08.19 and 4.3.3 was released on 08.08.19.

Any time there is a new dot version release, customers should be notified via email instead of hearing about it on this forum or randomly checking the Sonarworks website.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Hi

I am on the mailing list and I do receive your newsletters. I was referring to dot version releases. For example, the last newsletter I received from Sonarworks was about the eBook and at the bottom of the email there was reference to the 4.3.5 release. I received this newsletter on 22.08.19. However, 4.3.5.1 was actually released on 14.08.19. 4.3.4 was released on 13.08.19 and 4.3.3 was released on 08.08.19.

Any time there is a new dot version release, customers should be notified via email instead of hearing about it on this forum or randomly checking the Sonarworks website.
That is true, we don't announce the dot versions but we do have a very good reason for it. As I mentioned previously, there are limits to testing possibilities which is why we make those versions available. That gives us a chance to see how the update performs in the real world, outside the Beta Community groups, and deal with the problems accordingly. That's the point when the release is no longer in Beta and is available publically.

At that point, however, we are flooded with support requests regarding all the unforeseen problems and it's just about as much as we can handle in the support team, sometimes more. This gives us a chance to work on these things and take care of the major problems before announcing the update publically.

If we made a public announcement with the first iteration (and the smaller ones following), things would grind to a halt and we'd have much more on our hands that we can possibly deal with. There is a fine line here - yes, we do have to release and deal with the problems we find, but we certainly cannot announce it to 30 000+ users before we've made sure that the release is stable.

So you can see how there is a bit of a conflict here - imagine what this thread would look like (and others) if we were to publically announce the initial release back in July
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
That is true, we don't announce the dot versions but we do have a very good reason for it. As I mentioned previously, there are limits to testing possibilities which is why we make those versions available. That gives us a chance to see how the update performs in the real world, outside the Beta Community groups, and deal with the problems accordingly. That's the point when the release is no longer in Beta and is available publically.

At that point, however, we are flooded with support requests regarding all the unforeseen problems and it's just about as much as we can handle in the support team, sometimes more. This gives us a chance to work on these things and take care of the major problems before announcing the update publically.

If we made a public announcement with the first iteration (and the smaller ones following), things would grind to a halt and we'd have much more on our hands that we can possibly deal with. There is a fine line here - yes, we do have to release and deal with the problems we find, but we certainly cannot announce it to 30 000+ users before we've made sure that the release is stable.

So you can see how there is a bit of a conflict here - imagine what this thread would look like (and others) if we were to publically announce the initial release back in July
Ok that's fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I have a question about Sonarworks if anyone can help me. I'm trying to use VB Cable so I can use the Hedd Lineariser standalone so I can calibrate my monitors. The problem I'm running into is when I choose the input on the lineariser it says the input and output sample rate doesn't match. I check my Presonus Studio 2/6 and it's at 24 bit 44100. When I check my sonarworks it's locked in at 32 bit 44100 and I can't change that option at all. Is there something wrong with not being able to change this option?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I want to chime in and say this.
It's true that the new 4.3 driver on Windows still exhibit some quirks need fixes

But the Sonarworks customer service is THE ABSOLUTE BEST I ever came across in pro audio industry.
Every support ticket response is extremely fast, the rep actually guide you to solve your problem or pass to their dev team if they cannot solve the issue on the spot and they actually follow up.
Everytime I have issue reported to them, within 1 or 2 weeks, there is a new update release to solve the exact issue and numerous other issue I image other user reports.

This is how a good post sale support looks like as oppose to Antelope Audio (Avoid this company if you still have the chance) the worst I ever encountered.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkinners View Post
I want to chime in and say this.
It's true that the new 4.3 driver on Windows still exhibit some quirks need fixes

But the Sonarworks customer service is THE ABSOLUTE BEST I ever came across in pro audio industry.
Every support ticket response is extremely fast, the rep actually guide you to solve your problem or pass to their dev team if they cannot solve the issue on the spot and they actually follow up.
Everytime I have issue reported to them, within 1 or 2 weeks, there is a new update release to solve the exact issue and numerous other issue I image other user reports.

This is how a good post sale support looks like as oppose to Antelope Audio (Avoid this company if you still have the chance) the worst I ever encountered.
I agree as to Sonarworks - yes there are still glitches to iron out but my experience of their customer support when needed was both prompt and helpful.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
Harvey,
Very interesting set up. I assume you have Cubase autolaunch when you power on your computer?
No, it only takes a second to click the Cubase icon manually
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Wow, so many problems?? I was about to try it out, but with so many fail reports I'm scared away for ever!
Old 1 week ago
It's very very good on monitors in not so great rooms... which is a huge amount of rooms. It makes those rooms useable, system wide is having a few problems, and I personally dont need it as I run all external windows audio through a Cubase live channel with Sonarworks in the control room so all windows audio eg YouTube etc is processed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar View Post
Wow, so many problems?? I was about to try it out, but with so many fail reports I'm scared away for ever!
0 problems here on 2 computers with W10. Try the demo.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Heh, okay I will... But after project ends and customer is happy... This software seems like it could be a lot of headache when new to it... I'm a bit worried about getting so used to these things over time if something goes wrong in a middle of a session...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search