The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonarworks releases Reference 4.3 - Adds New Features
Old 28th July 2019
Gear Addict
For the record, I'm still on 4.0 and it works without issue in W10 1903, both the plugin and Systemwide.
Old 28th July 2019
Gear Nut

I updated to version 4.3.3 build 58 on Windows 10 build 1809 and I haven't had any of the problems mentioned before. Kind of hesitant to update to 1903.
Old 28th July 2019
lbx
Gear Nut
I'm still on 1809 but recently I've had systemwide (went back to 4.2 latest) failing to connect - and yep - only reinstalling my soundcard drivers gets it working. Hadn't thought it might be a Systemwide problem - but I have only noticed the issues since installing 4.3 then reverting back to 4.2.

It happens erratically - sometimes I need to reinstall drivers 1-2 times a week, sometimes it works longer...

I hadn't put it down to Systemwide - just assumed my windows drivers (which are old now) were iffy - but I have to admit until I tried Sonarworks 4.3 - I'd never had this problem. So now I'm not sure...
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

I wish I had read this thread before updating. Systemwide headphone addition caused a ear-piercing, potentially equipment damaging feedback screech when I hit the input monitor in Logic.
Old 31st July 2019
We're about to release a fix for the Windows update issue. Stay tuned!
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Maniac

Anyone having an issue where Systemwide is causing their audio interface to disconnect and fail to reconnect, requiring a reinstall?
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrodulf View Post
We're about to release a fix for the Windows update issue. Stay tuned!
What about for Mac users? Are we going to see an update?
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
Anyone having an issue where Systemwide is causing their audio interface to disconnect and fail to reconnect, requiring a reinstall?
I had this in the past....seemed to be an issue with sample rate switching.

EDIT: For clarity...re-installing sytemwide was needed to get it working...the interface always worked fine bypassing systemwide.

More recently switching outputs from Systemwide settings to another pair and then back again is always enough to reset it when it inevitably stops passing audio. Not sure how that would work if you only have 2 outs available!
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
What about for Mac users? Are we going to see an update?
Mac doesn't have the issue so why would they release a fix?
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Mac doesn't have the issue so why would they release a fix?
Dropouts, skipping audio, issues still here.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
Dropouts, skipping audio, issues still here.
Ahh...didn't realise there were other ongoing issues!
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

Update is on the Sonarworks site. Working ok for me so far.
Old 1st August 2019
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Update is on the Sonarworks site. Working ok for me so far.
It´s still the 4.3.2 update, which has been out for weeks now. Or did i miss any more recent version
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

Maybe try refreshing your browser cache - it says 4.3.3.95 for me.

https://sonarworks.com/reference/dow..._post_download
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
It´s still the 4.3.2 update, which has been out for weeks now. Or did i miss any more recent version
lol...Oliver already posted while I was faffing around with imgur!

Old 1st August 2019
adl
Lives for gear

Great, installed the update and get this error message everytime i reboot.
Man the recent updates surely f*cked up Sonarworks big time: first with the clicks and now this.

EDIT:
Ok, completely uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick. Sonarworks now works right after reboot.

EDIT 2:
Nope, not fixed. Still happens after restarting another time.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonarworks releases Reference 4.3 - Adds New Features-error.png  

Last edited by adl; 1st August 2019 at 06:05 PM..
Old 4th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
Great, installed the update and get this error message everytime i reboot.
Man the recent updates surely f*cked up Sonarworks big time: first with the clicks and now this.

EDIT:
Ok, completely uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick. Sonarworks now works right after reboot.

EDIT 2:
Nope, not fixed. Still happens after restarting another time.
Same problem whenever restarting computer. Have to go in to settings and click on "restart audio playback engine" which seems to do the trick but is annoying to have to do every time.
Old 4th August 2019
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Same problem whenever restarting computer. Have to go in to settings and click on "restart audio playback engine" which seems to do the trick but is annoying to have to do every time.
Glad I am not the only one. I posted the error message via Facebook messenger, as I was talking previously with them there. Let's see if they know any fix.
Old 4th August 2019
Lives for gear
It was working following the first reboot. Then the day after, following a reset of the audio engine. Today it's not working at all. This is on Windows 10 with an RME Fireface 800.

Extremely disappointing. I'm going to have to downgrade back several versions. Not sure how this is getting worse, but their QA/UA process clearly isn't catching large issues. Or someone's signing off on bad releases to go out to the public. Either way, it's been a piss-poor set of releases from Sonarworks. They've been rushing out update after update and keep implying that this time they figured the issues out, but clearly that's not been the case. Or what works to solve issues in one system configuration may be creating issues in a different one and they're not doing enough testing to find this stuff in advance.

If you're on the fence about buying Reference, I honestly couldn't recommend it right now because of the driver instability issues with Systemwide.
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

Switching applications, opening a new tab in Safari, so basically anything that uses a tiiiiiny bit of CPU causes audio drop out.
I love the concept but Sonarworks (Headphone version) is p1ssing me off at the moment.
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Waiting for a stable upgrade finaly. Had to revert to 4.2.2 46
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

4.3.4.2 now posted and still giving the can't start audio engine message.
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
4.3.4.2 now posted and still giving the can't start audio engine message.
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

For the record, I LIKE Sonarworks but since 4.3. I´ve had difficulties with it - so 4.2. it is for me for now -while waiting

Matti
Old 6th August 2019
Staying on 4.2 as well. Kept hearing pops when checking bouces- completely unacceptable. Raising the buffer didn’t help
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Maniac

soapmak3r,
Systemwide would disconnect my RME from windows -no sound. the vst would work fine with asio. I uninstalled systemwide.
Windows 7 by the way.
Old 7th August 2019
Hey everyone, we just released a new build to address the mic bug in Measure. Sadly, the audio engine failure on Win8/10 which was caused by the 1903 update fix is still at large. We plan to fix it by the end of this week.

Thanks for your patience. Or if you're not patient, thanks for that as well, we need a good kick in the hind parts from time to time. But most of all I thank the folks sending crash logs for our devs to munch on.

Cheers!
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey everyone, we just released a new build to address the mic bug in Measure. Sadly, the audio engine failure on Win8/10 which was caused by the 1903 update fix is still at large. We plan to fix it by the end of this week.

Thanks for your patience. Or if you're not patient, thanks for that as well, we need a good kick in the hind parts from time to time. But most of all I thank the folks sending crash logs for our devs to munch on.

Cheers!
Hopefully you get the issue of audio skipping/dropping out whether switching though apps or even clicking a web link while listening to iTunes fixed (mac)
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Cheers!
Thanks for the update. I've been in the "lost patience" camp, and that's generally not my go-to mode but after several bad updates with major radio silence on what's going on - that's how I got there. So I'd say a big part of that is surely due to the communications. If the download page for each new update contained information about what's fixed, but in this case, information about a huge known issue, I'd have passed on a few of the versions until there was a stable release and would've avoided the headaches of upgrading/troubleshooting/uninstalling/downgrading entirely. Ideally, you'd have found the issue sooner and held off on releasing any updates until it was resolved, but I get that it may have cropped up after the fact, or may not have been seen on testing systems, that stuff happens. It's how the several updates after the issues first cropped up were handled where I think you guys dropped the ball by not notifying users "hey, that big known issue you're experiencing still isn't fixed in this update but we're working on it."

Until you've got a fix, you'd do well to clearly notify users that the most recent update isn't ready for Windows 1903 and maybe point them back to the last version that worked well with that OS. Otherwise, why trouble your users who will see an update, get their hopes up, only to run into issues? Why trouble your support team?

Good luck on the bug hunt.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Is the Windows 7 hotfix warning dialog still an issue? That darn window takes a good minute to go away after clicking already installed or whatever the option is
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search