iZotope Introduces Neutron 3 - Page 9 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iZotope Introduces Neutron 3
Old 21st November 2019 | Show parent
  #241
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kites ➡️
Anyone notice any improvements with the latest Oct 3, Neutron Update 3.1.0?

Release notes:
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...ase-notes.html
Still waiting for a good moment to upgrade to 3.

The new RX Production Suite comes with Dialogue Match, but that is totally unusable of a Logic user. Which I am disappointed with, but that's another story. ADecent reverbs I already have. The cost of admission just really isn't worth it just for the Neutron upgrade.

So I'm holding out for the new RX, whenever that drops. Unless some other better offer comes by.
Old 21st November 2019 | Show parent
  #242
Gear Addict
 
4fmb's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington ➡️
Still waiting for a good moment to upgrade to 3.

The new RX Production Suite comes with Dialogue Match, but that is totally unusable of a Logic user. Which I am disappointed with, but that's another story. ADecent reverbs I already have. The cost of admission just really isn't worth it just for the Neutron upgrade.

So I'm holding out for the new RX, whenever that drops. Unless some other better offer comes by.
First upgrade I'll have sat out in quite a while. But, yeah, I'm in the same boat -just doesn't offer sufficient incentive based on "what's new." I'm certain that, solely on its own merits, it's absolutely worth it.
Old 25th November 2019 | Show parent
  #243
Gear Addict
 
doughnuts's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Has anyone noticed improvements in the gui sluggishness since the new 3.1 update was released?
My experience was so annoying in that it took several seconds to open the gui and it slowed the responsiveness of the daw to a crawl. It also kept disconnecting my faderport 16 as I moved from one track to another. Very annoying.
Aside from the gui issue I experienced other annoying behaviours that didn't speed up thy workflow but hindered it.
For example when adding multiple relay plugins none of them would automatically take the track name from the daw.so that meant time wasted renaming each relay.
Adding the visual mixer to the stereo bus also was a problem. Whilst I could alter the volume of any instrument in the visual mixer none of the tracks could be panned. It turns out that to be able to move tracks left or right every track has to be set to stereo.
I have to say the gate is really good, but all in all for what it is designed for, well frankly it's not ready for showtime.
Old 27th November 2019 | Show parent
  #244
Gear Addict
 
I am really liking Neutron 3 so far, way more than I liked N2. The mix assistant appears to have matured quite a bit in N3, and the sculptor is great for adding separation to certain sounds in the mix.
Hats off to iZotope for adding so much more depth and intelligence to their mix assistant. Unlike N2, I am not finding that N3 is doing anything that has offended my ears, or made me question the logic of the algorithm.
Old 28th November 2019 | Show parent
  #245
Gear Head
 
I wondering is good deal to buy upgrade from neutron 2 standard, ozone 8 standard into tonal balance - ozone 9 advanced, neutron 3 advanced and nectar for 200 or buy 2 plugins from fabfilter. eq and delay
Old 3rd December 2019 | Show parent
  #246
Lives for gear
 
mpresev's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I bought a plugin at Pluginboutique called Kinetic by Soundspot?

Anyway, if you buy one plugin you get a free Neutron Element by Izotope .

I'm a fan of Channel Strips as my channel strip now is the Eventide Ultrachannel strip.

I'm liking the Izotope Elements a lot.. I like it. Will be upgrading to the pro version.
Old 8th December 2019 | Show parent
  #247
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Been on the fence with this for a while. Thinking about buying the music production bundle before the deal runs out.
BUT i am worried that it is going to be too CPU hungry to really use it as a one shop stop for channel strip duties.
How is everyone else finding it in that regard?
Old 9th December 2019 | Show parent
  #248
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon ➡️
Been on the fence with this for a while. Thinking about buying the music production bundle before the deal runs out.
BUT i am worried that it is going to be too CPU hungry to really use it as a one shop stop for channel strip duties.
How is everyone else finding it in that regard?
I guess it depends on how old a computer you are running it on. I haven't noticed any version of Neutron to be particularly CPU hungry in comparison to other channel strips.
Old 14th December 2019 | Show parent
  #249
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash ➡️
I guess it depends on how old a computer you are running it on. I haven't noticed any version of Neutron to be particularly CPU hungry in comparison to other channel strips.
Ditto... also, consider it's meant as a vocal channel strip... so, it’s not like you’d be using 20 instances of it on a tune
Old 29th December 2019 | Show parent
  #250
Here for the gear
 
App

Not sure if iZotope monitor a thread like this, but they don't seem to have a forum or similar on their site for feedback or feature requests, so thought I'd put it out here:

I've wanted for a while some sort of control surface for the iZotope range of mixing products, but the given that there are so many controls for something like Neutron, it makes it quite a difficult task to create a physical one, not to mention that even if I went down that path, it would be obsolete once the next release comes out.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see an iPad app that can connect to and control these products, so if you were to use a mix of Neutron, Relay, Nectar and Ozone over the session, you would be able to control the entire mix through iPad as a touchable control surface, including the Visual Mixer and Tonal Balance Control. That would be awesome! It could then be updated with each release by iZotope to keep it current.
I've considered creating something in Lemur also, but I don't feel that it is ultimately capable of doing it justice and a native app would be way better.
Old 29th December 2019 | Show parent
  #251
Here for the gear
 
While I'm at feature requests...

Would love to see the compressor section in Neutron have FET, OPTO and VCA etc modes available as a selection rather than just "Vintage" mode...
Old 26th March 2020 | Show parent
  #252
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Has anyone here had much experience with automating neutrons eq?
I am just wondering how it does. Many plugins that introduce latency have problems when it comes to automation (including pretty major timing issues)
Can anyone speak to this?
Old 26th March 2020 | Show parent
  #253
Lives for gear
 
eightyeightkeys's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughnuts ➡️
Has anyone noticed improvements in the gui sluggishness since the new 3.1 update was released?
My experience was so annoying in that it took several seconds to open the gui ......
+1

Slow to open....all this time wasted killing flow/mojo. Does it have something to do with the authorization ? This is the main reason I didn't upgrade.

How do you all feel about the compressors ?....can't quite get what I'd like from them. Plus a very jumpy compressor gain reduction meter...vintage mode gives me more usable visual feedback.

I really do like the layout..a lot.
Old 28th March 2020 | Show parent
  #254
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon ➡️
Has anyone here had much experience with automating neutrons eq?
I am just wondering how it does. Many plugins that introduce latency have problems when it comes to automation (including pretty major timing issues)
Can anyone speak to this?
No, I have t tried this myself. It does have a low latency mode so you could always run it using that. Best thing to do though is do a quick trial of it. See how well it performs.

Let us know if you do. I’ll be very interested in hearing the results.
Old 28th March 2020 | Show parent
  #255
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon ➡️
Been on the fence with this for a while. Thinking about buying the music production bundle before the deal runs out.
BUT i am worried that it is going to be too CPU hungry to really use it as a one shop stop for channel strip duties.
How is everyone else finding it in that regard?
I have Neutron 2. CPU is ok (2018 MacBook Pro 13”, dual core). The problem is RAM! It takes lots of RAM in Pro Tools 2019, I get lots of memory erros using 15-20 instances of Neutron (my MB only has 8 GB of RAM). I demoed N3 and it didn’t improve RAM use...
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
  #256
Lives for gear
 
blackcom's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Had Neutron3 for a while but never really gace it a chance.

Until today. The Sculptor is REALLY nice and i love that you have all the modules in 1 plugin. Tested the EQ against Fabfilter, they sound quite similar to my ears. TheNeutron comoressor is really nice on drums too.

Perhaps iZotope dont have the snob factor like FF, DMG, Slate etc etc but i think these are super great plugins.
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
  #257
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom ➡️
Had Neutron3 for a while but never really gace it a chance.

Until today. The Sculptor is REALLY nice and i love that you have all the modules in 1 plugin. Tested the EQ against Fabfilter, they sound quite similar to my ears. TheNeutron comoressor is really nice on drums too.

Perhaps iZotope dont have the snob factor like FF, DMG, Slate etc etc but i think these are super great plugins.
Izotope's plugins have always been great. I think the snobbish attitude comes from people not wanting the AI features but then you don't have to use them.

Also other problems which cause the issues are the support only for one year and their sometimes very strange update/upgrade systems.

Other than that they sound great.
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
  #258
Lives for gear
 
E-Irizarry's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom ➡️
Had Neutron3 for a while but never really gace it a chance.

Until today. The Sculptor is REALLY nice and i love that you have all the modules in 1 plugin. Tested the EQ against Fabfilter, they sound quite similar to my ears. TheNeutron comoressor is really nice on drums too.

Perhaps iZotope dont have the snob factor like FF, DMG, Slate etc etc but i think these are super great plugins.
I'm one of the few iconoclastic dudes on this site....some call us demons, others call us angels..well some of you guys call us trolls. Here we go again:

The Sculptor module of Neutron 3 Advanced can somewhat give Soundtheory`s Gullfoss a run for its money.
Old 11th October 2020
  #259
Lives for gear
 
Fleer's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Nice try. No way, José. I have both, and for its purposes, Gullfoss rules supreme.
Old 11th October 2020 | Show parent
  #260
Gear Nut
 
egloss's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I also really like izotope but there are still some little features I only find on other plugins.
A mixing friendly neutron limiter. izotope only has the mastering one and using it on a few channels and the computer will not like it.
A decent/flexible neutron de esser like fabfilter.
Compressor with hold function. (why is it not there since ever ?)

Oversampling. This one is a bit of a tricky one.
Izotope informed me that they have oversampling going on under the hood.
But if they do, oversampling should induce latency and their neutron eq does not. Black magic?

Anyway izotope if you see this....just make it happen and I ditch everything else.
oh By the way, a iris 3 please.
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
  #261
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry ➡️
The Sculptor module of Neutron 3 Advanced can somewhat give Soundtheory`s Gullfoss a run for its money.
I guess that depends on what you're using it for. For bus work, I heavily prefer Gullfoss over Sculptor, but I wouldn't really reach for Gullfoss for use on individual instruments. Sculptor just makes more sense there.
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
  #262
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash ➡️
I guess that depends on what you're using it for. For bus work, I heavily prefer Gullfoss over Sculptor, but I wouldn't really reach for Gullfoss for use on individual instruments. Sculptor just makes more sense there.
Yeah same here, Sculptor for individual tracks, Gullffoss for buses.
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
  #263
Lives for gear
 
E-Irizarry's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash ➡️
I guess that depends on what you're using it for. For bus work, I heavily prefer Gullfoss over Sculptor, but I wouldn't really reach for Gullfoss for use on individual instruments. Sculptor just makes more sense there.
So I reverted to playing around with the Gate module in the Neutron 2 Advanced plugin and I LIKE IT BETTER than the Gate module in Neutron 3 Advanced. You actually have more control over the transients and somewhat nasty artefacts in the sound.

Gate module in N2 Advanced along with the Transient Shaper and Sculptor in N3 Advanced along with a negative Bias setting in Ozone 9 Vintage Tape works really well with one another before pushing it through Gullfoss and DSEQ/DSEQ 2.

You're right about the usage of those plugins so I gave you a second thumbs up.
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
  #264
Lives for gear
 
Volt9's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by egloss ➡️
A mixing friendly neutron limiter. izotope only has the mastering one and using it on a few channels and the computer will not like it.
.
There is a adjustable limiter in Neutron 3 on the 'main' output!
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
  #265
Gear Nut
 
egloss's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 ➡️
There is a adjustable limiter in Neutron 3 on the 'main' output!
Thanks buddy.
I use the individual plug ins so never noticed that. Just saw now.
I shall rephrase...
Izotope , please make the limiter as a individual plugin. thank you.
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
  #266
Lives for gear
 
Volt9's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by egloss ➡️
Thanks buddy.
I use the individual plug ins so never noticed that. Just saw now.
I shall rephrase...
Izotope , please make the limiter as a individual plugin. thank you.
You could load it as an individual limiter, when you deactivate the one instance that loads with it. ;-) It is a light version of the maximizer, well at least on my cpu it is.
Old 13th October 2020
  #267
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I did end up upgrading to Neutron 3 at some point as it was part of a bundle, Total Control I think.

I have noticed it is much lighter on RAM now and the DSP load can be very light as it only uses what you have active. From what I can tell that even works for eq bands. Low latency mode seems to have less overhead too. I must say I haven't compared its performance with the new masking feature introduced by Nectar 3 Plus, since I don't have the new Nectar to be able to test it out. I can't imagine it would be that heavy, though.

What I do find interesting is that the masking feature came out at the same time as Neoverb, So I'm willing to bet it's built on the same tech.
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
  #268
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington ➡️
I did end up upgrading to Neutron 3 at some point as it was part of a bundle, Total Control I think.

I have noticed it is much lighter on RAM now and the DSP load can be very light as it only uses what you have active. From what I can tell that even works for eq bands. Low latency mode seems to have less overhead too. I must say I haven't compared its performance with the new masking feature introduced by Nectar 3 Plus, since I don't have the new Nectar to be able to test it out. I can't imagine it would be that heavy, though.

What I do find interesting is that the masking feature came out at the same time as Neoverb, So I'm willing to bet it's built on the same tech.

Hi Simon, the CPU is indeed light, but in my DAW Neutron 3 uses lots of RAM. After 20 instances I get memory errors, and Pro Tools memory bar graph is full. May I ask what DAW do you use, and how many GB of memory does it have? I have 8GB.

Thanks
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
  #269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingafuego ➡️
Hi Simon, the CPU is indeed light, but in my DAW Neutron 3 uses lots of RAM. After 20 instances I get memory errors, and Pro Tools memory bar graph is full. May I ask what DAW do you use, and how many GB of memory does it have? I have 8GB.

Thanks
My advice would be to upgrade to 16 GB. 8 GB will be enough most of the time, but when you need more in a track you're working on, you're stuck.

Also, your OS will write RAM data to your hard drives when it reaches a certain limit. This will slow down your system.
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
  #270
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikkers ➡️
My advice would be to upgrade to 16 GB. 8 GB will be enough most of the time, but when you need more in a track you're working on, you're stuck.

Also, your OS will write RAM data to your hard drives when it reaches a certain limit. This will slow down your system.
Thanks, but unfortunately my computer do not allow memory upgrade. Speed is ok, no slowdown, Neutro 3 really improved CPU, but I do not see improvements in memory.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 86 views: 41557
Avatar for doogie
doogie 2nd April 2013
replies: 1073 views: 131366
Avatar for blayz2002
blayz2002 4th December 2020
replies: 69 views: 14583
Avatar for goom
goom 31st January 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump