The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iZotope Introduces Neutron 3
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Thanks for sharing this information.
I was also waiting to upgrade to Neutron 3 Advanced because the $149 upgrade price wasn't seem so fair to me.
But now with this bundle at $125.99, I decided to pull the trigger and now I have Neutron 3 Advanced + Nectar 3 + VocalSynth 2 + Insight (already own RX7 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced)
Absolutely. $125.99 for not only the Neutron 3 upgrade but also Nectar 3, VocalSynth 2, Insight and RX7 (I was still at 5 or something) was a crazy steal. iZotope should have introduced this pricing from the beginning, probably would have prevented a lot of complaints from long term iZotope product owners.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Maniac
There’s a Nectar 3.1 update and now it “talks” to Neutron 3
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone1313 View Post
My whole experience with Neutron 3 has been really off-putting towards iZotope's produces.

I spent the money and upgraded to Neutron 3. I had not really used v2 much, so I am not sure if these issues are specific to v3.

Before I get into it, my main question is whether these types of issues are consistent with iZotope's other products. I also own Ozone 8, and I do not want to invest any more time learning and working with it if it is going to be the same deal.

The issues I am having:
  • Crappy GPU performance when using Neutron 3. My GPU spikes up to 80-90% after I simply add one instance, and then my whole system lags. I have a modern graphics card, and all drivers are up to date. I run a six core Intel machine, which is up to date and clean.
  • Laggy performance in the Neutron 3 plugin. For some reason, changing EQ values causes a ton of data to be sent to the DAW, which in Ableton, causes a lot of data to be sent back to my MIDI controllers, which seems to slow things down. I.e., adjusting the EQ values causes so much data to be sent to my APC 40 that the indicator rings flicker. I have seen others complain about this. It seems to have something to do with some "dirty flag" event being passed to the DAW, which seems like poor coding.
No other plugins I use have these issues. FabFilter Pro-Q 3 works like butter.

I reported to iZotope, and they are looking at it. On the Reaper forum, someone else reported a similar thing to them a long time ago. No fix yet. And, I've seen other complaints about their UIs in other forums.

So, again, should I jump ship?
Here is a follow up.

First, iZotope's support was prompt and responsive, and that is commendable. Below are some things I did, which I think might have resolved my GPU issue.

Unfortunately, on the other hand, doing basic EQ moves and other things is still somewhat choppy in Neutron, especially when the plugin window is enlarged. Based on my observations and reading what others have said about this in forums, it could possibly be related to how Neutron sends out "dirty flag" events to the host. It seems to be sending a lot of data to the host, which one might speculate, could make the performance choppy. Who knows.

Hopefully that choppiness can be improved in future updates.

I could probably get by with the performance as is, but this experience pushed me to look at FabFilters Pro-Q and Pro-L products, and I think I am going to focus on them. I want to try not relying on the AI/automated parts of the iZotope stuff, and without those pieces, the FabFilter stuff wins for me. Pro-Q and Pro-L are excellent.

In any event, as a FYI, here is what I did, which might have helped my GPU issues with Neutron.

Ran my project using VST3.
Noticed good GPU performance.
Ran my project using VST2.
Still noticed good GPU performance.
Did a clean uninstall and reinstall of my video card drivers.
Ran my project using VST3.
Ran my project using VST2.
Performed the uninstall and reinstall of Neutron - in Windows safe mode - per iZotope's instructions.

In summary, it is possible that simply running the VST3 one time and/or reinstalling my video card drivers helped.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingafuego View Post
There’s a Nectar 3.1 update and now it “talks” to Neutron 3
I'm a bit slow here, so how does Nectar 3.1 talk to Neutron 3?
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry View Post
In the masking feature, just like 2 neutron instances can.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 View Post
In the masking feature, just like 2 neutron instances can.
OK pal obrigado!
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry View Post
Izotope says:

Use Nectar 3.1 with Neutron’s Mix Assistant
With the launch of Mix Assistant, Neutron 3 enabled our customers to balance levels in their mix using inter-plugin communication. Mix Assistant is a time-saving feature that talks to any instance of Neutron or Relay to tap into your mix and provide you with a starting point.

We’re pleased to announce that we’ve now added support for Nectar 3 in Mix Assistant as well.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Izotope says:

Use Nectar 3.1 with Neutron’s Mix Assistant
With the launch of Mix Assistant, Neutron 3 enabled our customers to balance levels in their mix using inter-plugin communication. Mix Assistant is a time-saving feature that talks to any instance of Neutron or Relay to tap into your mix and provide you with a starting point.

We’re pleased to announce that we’ve now added support for Nectar 3 in Mix Assistant as well.
Now I am in doubt If what I was saying is also correct?
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 View Post
Now I am in doubt If what I was saying is also correct?
I don’ own Nectar 3, but I think you are correct, they share the masking detection feature.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don’ own Nectar 3, but I think you are correct, they share the masking detection feature.
I have them both. I checked and it works :-)
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac

After buying Ozone 8, I was impressed enough to buy RX, then I crossgraded to Neutron 2...less impressed. Then I crossgraded to Nectar 3...less impressed again. It seems like the more you own, the worse your upgrade potential is. I am incentivized to not buy anything and just wait years, then buy a deal and get access to a ton of stuff for very little. It's kind of silly.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

If people can discipline themselves in a way where they don't feel compelled to want the newest of everything that comes out when it comes out, and just upgrade their audio products when it actually feels like a must have deal, they can start getting more value for the money they spend.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
After buying Ozone 8, I was impressed enough to buy RX, then I crossgraded to Neutron 2...less impressed. Then I crossgraded to Nectar 3...less impressed again. It seems like the more you own, the worse your upgrade potential is. I am incentivized to not buy anything and just wait years, then buy a deal and get access to a ton of stuff for very little. It's kind of silly.
Bah humbug. Nectar 3's best feature is the Harmony module. It's really Nectar's best feature. I can understand where Neutron isn't all that epic, but RX is great for my needs.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Addict

Sold Neutron 3. The functions are great but the visual lag and the chunkiness make me just not using it unfortunate.

Still have a copy of Nectar 3 for who is interested.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Nut

I would like to take back an earlier comment about the track assistant: I tried it on a muddy, close miced vocal that I was having trouble brightening up and fitting into the mix without over-processing or introducing harshness, and N3 on "upfront" came up with a great combination of sculpting, EQ, and compression that got it sounding clear and present.

I suspect the variable nature of the sculptor is what's taking it to the next level, as I was not happy with the way previous editions of Neutron handled vocals, or Nectar 3. Fantastic.

(I have used Gulfloss, and while I like that last bit of cleanup it adds to full mixes, my results with vocals haven't been as impressive.)
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

SoundTheory Gullfoss and Zynaptiq Intensity are perfect additions to the Neutron 3 experience. I just love these magical wands.
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane View Post
I would like to take back an earlier comment about the track assistant: I tried it on a muddy, close miced vocal that I was having trouble brightening up and fitting into the mix without over-processing or introducing harshness, and N3 on "upfront" came up with a great combination of sculpting, EQ, and compression that got it sounding clear and present.

I suspect the variable nature of the sculptor is what's taking it to the next level, as I was not happy with the way previous editions of Neutron handled vocals, or Nectar 3. Fantastic.

(I have used Gulfloss, and while I like that last bit of cleanup it adds to full mixes, my results with vocals haven't been as impressive.)
The sculptor portion of the plug-in is definitely what brings it up a notch over previous versions.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
The sculptor portion of the plug-in is definitely what brings it up a notch over previous versions.
Yeah I think that Sculptor brings added value. I’m getting, the impression it’s their Neutrino tech reworked. It was one slider sitting underneath the main meters in the last version of Neutron. That slider seems to be gone now, but in its place is Sculptor.

That’s my impression. But hey, if it’s works....
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
I’m getting, the impression it’s their Neutrino tech reworked. It was one slider sitting underneath the main meters in the last version of Neutron. That slider seems to be gone now, but in its place is Sculptor.

That’s my impression.
It could be, and if that is the case, it seems much improved versus anything Neutrino was capable of bringing to the table in the previous versions. Most of the time, Neutrino was a feature that remained off.
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear

I've just upgraded to Neutron 3 Advanced and noticed that the dB-Gain-Scale meter (located at the right edge of the EQ-module-display) can no longer be modified with the mouse/mousewheel.
Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 have this feature.

Bug?
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phynubis View Post
I've just upgraded to Neutron 3 Advanced and noticed that the dB-Gain-Scale meter (located at the right edge of the EQ-module-display) can no longer be modified with the mouse/mousewheel.
Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 have this feature.

Bug?
Hard to say, more like a missing feature. Similar thing happens with eq nodes: while you can grab them with mouse, you can not use the mouse/mousewheel to edit the parameters of the eq nodes that are displayed in the floating window, which is sometimes really useful (like adjusting the gain without changing the frequency).
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
It could be, and if that is the case, it seems much improved versus anything Neutrino was capable of bringing to the table in the previous versions. Most of the time, Neutrino was a feature that remained off.
Possibly the same tech then, but with more options and control. I’m sure they didn’t invest all that time and money just to ditch it straight away.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Sorry for maybe asking the obvious.
How do I use Neutron?
Does every track get one instance????
I use to layer snares / claps sometimes out of 4 elements. I am chopping up loops and have 1 mio tracks each with one or 2 sounds. Every track one Neutron?
What is going to happen with the other plugins. I have on every channel Sonimus Satson, Max4Live Surgery to make sure I dont go over -18db followd by fabfilter pro q3 and a utility as those plugins will be needed on every track. does Neutron go with them or instead of them?
What is with other plugins? IF I like to use a dbx 160 for example? Still analyze with Neutron and do what, turn of its Compressor but keep the rest going.
I fully understand the idea but only if used on its own.
Help appreciated.
Also the presets. Does the Track assistant choose different setting according to the chosen preset or is it either preset or track assistant?
I am doing Tech House and Breakbeat and I am pretty sure that settings that are necessary for those styles would be completely wrong if doing country and vice versa.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by yentz View Post
Sorry for maybe asking the obvious.
How do I use Neutron?
Does every track get one instance????
I use to layer snares / claps sometimes out of 4 elements. I am chopping up loops and have 1 mio tracks each with one or 2 sounds. Every track one Neutron?
What is going to happen with the other plugins. I have on every channel Sonimus Satson, Max4Live Surgery to make sure I dont go over -18db followd by fabfilter pro q3 and a utility as those plugins will be needed on every track. does Neutron go with them or instead of them?
What is with other plugins? IF I like to use a dbx 160 for example? Still analyze with Neutron and do what, turn of its Compressor but keep the rest going.
I fully understand the idea but only if used on its own.
Help appreciated.
Also the presets. Does the Track assistant choose different setting according to the chosen preset or is it either preset or track assistant?
I am doing Tech House and Breakbeat and I am pretty sure that settings that are necessary for those styles would be completely wrong if doing country and vice versa.
Neutron is a channel strip, it wants to be a one stop plugin to do everything eq and dynamic wise.

The automatic thing is supposed to be a personalized preset to get you started. It is an alternative to presets.

As every present, most of the time you want to tweak it.

To add other plugins before or after Neutron you are on your own; if you add something before Neutron it will take is in consideration while doing its analysis, but it's not that smart to say "ok here is already a compression, I will turn mine off".
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by random musican View Post
Hard to say, more like a missing feature. Similar thing happens with eq nodes: while you can grab them with mouse, you can not use the mouse/mousewheel to edit the parameters of the eq nodes that are displayed in the floating window, which is sometimes really useful (like adjusting the gain without changing the frequency).
Neutron 4 will eventually have the feature complete.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hey All,

I would love to know some use cases for folks using Neutron 3 now that it's been out for awhile.

I'm working on an LP where someone else will ultimately be mixing the record. So, I'm thinking this may work well for my rough mixes, which I a.) don't want to spend enormous time on and b.) still want to sound as "done" and as amazing as possible since demos and rough mixes are really expected to sound "great" these days.

Couple question:

1. Does anyone here use Neutron for acoustic sounding mixes? All the demos I've heard so far have been electronic and sample based music. My LP is sparse percussion, piano, several vocals layers (with a predominant lead vocal) and some experimental abstract sounds.

2. Does anyone use Neutron plus other inserts? I'm sure I will want to use some De-essing and probably a few EchoBoy's plugins. I assume I'll just be adding those "after" the Neutron insert in the chain for those particular instruments?

3. Are there any other better tools like Neutron out there that people have tried to get really fast machine learning rough mixes?

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmonk View Post
1. Does anyone here use Neutron for acoustic sounding mixes? All the demos I've heard so far have been electronic and sample based music. My LP is sparse percussion, piano, several vocals layers (with a predominant lead vocal) and some experimental abstract sounds.
Yes, I do, it is a general purpose tool. On the other hand, you might want to have a separate compressor that fits your music better (although the built-in one is still quite useful, esp. for utility duties like ducking bass with kick, de-essing, etc.).

Quote:
2. Does anyone use Neutron plus other inserts? I'm sure I will want to use some De-essing and probably a few EchoBoy's plugins. I assume I'll just be adding those "after" the Neutron insert in the chain for those particular instruments?
Yes, frequently. Actually Neutron can de-ess quite well via it's multiband compressor.
Definitely it doesn't do delays, reverbs, modulation, etc. for which you will have to use other plugins.
It does saturation, but personally I don't like how it sounds. Also, e.g. for lead vocal, you might want to use a different compressor.

Quote:
3. Are there any other better tools like Neutron out there that people have tried to get really fast machine learning rough mixes?
Acustica Audio experiments with ai presets for their core 14 plugins, but it doesn't account for multiple tracks, Neutron is the only one I am aware of that can balance things. Nevertheless, while it can speed things a lot, it won't do mixing for you, and the workflow is still awkward. On the other hand, even by the sheer processing power (i.e., disregarding ai) it is an amazing tool, and some of the "smart" features (like eq learn which searches for frequencies that you might want to pay attention to) are sometimes really useful (I don't use them often, but I am glad I have them at my disposal).

Also, consider getting both Neutron and Ozone (Black Friday is coming soon), it is great for getting demos to proper loudness, and some of its modules are useful for mixing too (m/s eq, imager, spectral shaper, etc., even maximizer can be used as track limiter). Normally I just use the assistant, then turn off the eq (still, if the curve looks surprising, perhaps there is still something to fix in the mix) and adjust the maximizer to taste and desired loudness.

Finally, don't disregard Tonal Balance Control that comes with the Advanced version. It's perfect for spotting problem areas and getting fast into the ballpark of your references.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Neutron / Ozone work well with acoustic mixes as well. I like the ability to add (third party) plugins, but for me I would add something for specific color rather than because of any lack on iZotope's part.

If I am minded to use Neutron Advanced in mixing a song, I let it carry the bulk of the processing and it does a fine job. As *random musician* recommended, Tonal Balance Control can be very useful. I find it comes more into play for me on heavy rock mixes in not getting carried away with the low end. Still, if I'm in Neutron, I'm usually going whole hog adding in track-masking analyzer features as well. I have no qualms about just mixing a track with NA.

That said, I usually don't use NA in mixing, but simply because I have other chains that work well for me with what I'm after and that I have significant investment in -and I wouldn't have both those chains and NA all going at the same time. One way or the other though, the final, final step for me utilizes Ozone Advanced for SRC / dithering / gain.

On the machine learning front, check out Sonible's Smart:Comp and Smart:EQ 2. They are both top notch.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It works very well on most material I have tried it on. It has never done anything crazy or offensive. Usually it is tasteful and easily tweaked to get it where you want it.
My music is mostly acoustic, finger picked it strummed guitar. Also blues and rock. It has done a great job on everything so far.
The balance mode needs some adjusting usually, but it gets you close enough, then you adjust a bit too taste. No complaints here.
The CPU usage is also a ton more efficient than Neutron 2 was. I can load it on every track and Cubase 10 performance meter barely budges.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

N3 also has this great future that will help you achieve quick level balances. At least, put you in a very goos starting place. That feature could save an hour or so in itself!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search