Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   iZotope Introduces Neutron 3 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1267776-izotope-introduces-neutron-3-a.html)

morelia 7th June 2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chupacabras (Post 14024511)
used the mix assistant and was astonished with how close the balances were to what I'd been working on

I haven't found any great guide on how to do this but my attempts have come out very badly. Just wondering what you are doing? I obviously need an instance of Neutron and not sure it matters where I put it. I put relay at the end of the effect chain on the other tracks. The plugin says before effects but I saw something on their site I think that said before or after was fine.

ManMulcahy 7th June 2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesleyamltd (Post 14024371)
I do not own the production suite but I own nearly everything in it. I have no option for a 99.00 upgrade. :facepalm:

Definitely shoot a message to support. I’ve been in this situation a few times before and they have given me the appropriate upgrade path if I had separately purchased the ‘suite’ plugins.

GrammynOut 7th June 2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepCircle (Post 14024304)
that time will probably never exist completely as you imagine it.

Said Blockbuster when talking about this new upstart called Netflix.

I’ve made a decent living in this industry over the past few decades. All the technological advancements have removed jobs, supply chains, shrunk marketing to social media, etc. I give it a decade before the mix engineer, and definitely the mastering engineer, are casualties of technology except for the highest level of artists/music projects with the budgets to hire.

Film/TV mixers will be good though. Way too many variables. But music, especially genres with set “rules” and instruments already...

chupacabras 7th June 2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morelia (Post 14024658)
I haven't found any great guide on how to do this but my attempts have come out very badly. Just wondering what you are doing? I obviously need an instance of Neutron and not sure it matters where I put it. I put relay at the end of the effect chain on the other tracks. The plugin says before effects but I saw something on their site I think that said before or after was fine.

Check out this link https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...tup-your-mixes

you kinda want to do it with all faders set to unity without processing as an initial balance. it doesn't account for taste so it's not a set and forget thing but it gets things in a good starting place. having said that, i've only tried it on the one mix in a synthy pop/rock style so i dont know how it will fare in other genres but i imagine it would excel on electronic genres. not sure if i'll buy it but curious to see how people get on with it

SleepCircle 7th June 2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammynOut (Post 14024739)
Said Blockbuster when talking about this new upstart called Netflix.

I’ve made a decent living in this industry over the past few decades. All the technological advancements have removed jobs, supply chains, shrunk marketing to social media, etc. I give it a decade before the mix engineer, and definitely the mastering engineer, are casualties of technology except for the highest level of artists/music projects with the budgets to hire.

Film/TV mixers will be good though. Way too many variables. But music, especially genres with set “rules” and instruments already...

I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about actual, complete, artificial intelligence.

What you are talking about—elaborate neural networks using fuzzy logic to settle into the best likely application of standard practices based on their moderately extensive static data sets—will probably happen, yeah, although I still think it'll be longer than a decade.

ardis 7th June 2019 03:59 PM

I'm a musician and a preset guy because I want to spend my time writing and have a backlog of songs to record. Something that gives me results quickly is great. I send my stuff out to someone who mixes for a living, but an attitude mix is important and also what I listen to for inspiration. Things like gullfoss are of interest to not finesse too much. Elevate has been very useful and I only have Elements which I like but seems to be very different in terms of a target sound.

I realize these tools are tweakable to a frightening degree, but things like the new Bassroom tool are interesting for fast AI based stuff. I really don't think AI will ever be more than a timesaver or a way of stamping out processed vanilla without sensibility behind it..... Sorta like those programs that give you chord progressions or drum beats. You need a real writer or drummer and monkeying around with a program can take more time for a pro than simply mixing from scratch....

modulosonoro 7th June 2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DotRob (Post 14023548)
Maybe I'm too old for this kind of assistent software. But this looks a lot like 'Painting by numbers' or Riding you bike with training wheels.

Why should I even make music, when it's not about _my_ feelings, and _my_ ideas, but the feelings and ideas of a machine. :facepalm:

You must be confusing making music with mixing. I'd rather spend my time on sound design, composition and arrangement than EQ and compression. Of course it's good to know how to mix and of course mixing has aspects of artistry to it, but if you don't write hits it probably has more to do with what comes before the mix. And if you make hits you probably already have several people helping you to make your ideas and your expressions of your feelings pop in the end. freshflowe

DotRob 7th June 2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modulosonoro (Post 14025028)
You must be confusing making music with mixing. [...] of course mixing has aspects of artistry to it

I'm not confusing anything. Mixing _is_ making music. Mixing _is_ art. As much as recording, songwriting, arranging and playing instruments. If mixing is just an algorithm producing the same results everyone is producing, then it's definitely not my game.

Just imagine Geoff Emerick firing off some presets to get John Lennon's ideas done. It would have sounded like every other preset-made record :facepalm:

DotRob 7th June 2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14024292)
You may never use the 'assisted mix' features, but you'd be selling the plug way, way short by not primarily considering it as a powerhouse all-in-one channel strip.

Agree! As a channel strip it makes sense! :) I'll try the gate ... you made me curious ;)

method1 7th June 2019 08:33 PM

I quite like Izotope stuff but keeping up with their product bundles is really confusing, they keep changing, renaming, adding to and subtracting from them.

bgood 7th June 2019 08:53 PM

I’m not digging their quick turnaround on new versions and steep upgrade $$

I switched over to renting their ON2 advanced bundle at Splice specifically to see what happens with the Splice pricing when Neutron v3 and the new ozone comes out...

modulosonoro 7th June 2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DotRob (Post 14025136)
I'm not confusing anything. Mixing _is_ making music. Mixing _is_ art. As much as recording, songwriting, arranging and playing instruments. If mixing is just an algorithm producing the same results everyone is producing, then it's definitely not my game.

Just imagine Geoff Emerick firing off some presets to get John Lennon's ideas done. It would have sounded like every other preset-made record :facepalm:

I would argue that John Lennon, recorded with decent mics, preamps and so on, mixed with Neutrons suggestions would still come out remarkably good.

And yes, mixing is important but I'd rather be a songwriter like Lennon than a mixer like Emerick. Unfortunately I'm neither. :facepalm:

screentan 8th June 2019 12:17 AM

Logged in to see my upgrade price and at first thought it was only $99 ($89 at Audio Deluxe) and that I'd also be getting RX7, Nectar 3 and VocalSynth 2 as part of the deal. Then realised that was the upgrade from Music Production Suite 2 and I have Music Production Bundle 2. In my haste and excitement I very nearly bought it before spotting my error and wouldn't have been able to use it or return it. I wonder how many others might come close to or even make this mistake? Yes it would have been down to my own lack of vigilance but it would help if they could differentiate their grouped product names a bit better imo.

morelia 8th June 2019 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chupacabras (Post 14024808)
Check out this link https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...tup-your-mixes

you kinda want to do it with all faders set to unity without processing as an initial balance. it doesn't account for taste so it's not a set and forget thing but it gets things in a good starting place. having said that, i've only tried it on the one mix in a synthy pop/rock style so i dont know how it will fare in other genres but i imagine it would excel on electronic genres. not sure if i'll buy it but curious to see how people get on with it

Thanks, will check the link.

I tried it with relay and N3 at the end of the chain. All faders at 0. 1 drum vsti, bass track, 4 guitars, 1 synth, 4 vocal tracks. The result was a wreck. Might try again but seems not for me after a few tries.

johnonguitar7 8th June 2019 10:16 AM

I got Neutron 2 in November in the sale... it makes my poor 2018 MBP sound like its going to take off

Is this still a CPU hog? Has it got any better?

wesleyamltd 8th June 2019 11:38 AM

Izotope Cares

I sent Izotope an email and expressed my concerns in regards to their pricing for Neutron 3 Adv and they responded with a discount. It's worth reaching out, because it may lead to a discount.;)

morgendugg 8th June 2019 11:40 AM

Anyone using this in NI Maschine with the dynamic eq/ sidechain/ masking?

soulata 8th June 2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesleyamltd (Post 14026680)
I sent Izotope an email and expressed my concerns in regards to their pricing for Neutron 3 Adv and they responded with a discount. It's worth reaching out, because it may lead to a discount.;)

This is highly unusual for a company.
They offered me discount as well (if I contacted them) but right now don't really want anything from them (not because I hate them, I don't, I just don't have a need for anything they're offering right now).

Upgrade paths should be clear (as Fabfilter's or something). I'm getting options (in my user account) to upgrade to things I already own.

Eh...

k

Eric Stravinsky 8th June 2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morelia (Post 14026032)
Thanks, will check the link.

I tried it with relay and N3 at the end of the chain. All faders at 0. 1 drum vsti, bass track, 4 guitars, 1 synth, 4 vocal tracks. The result was a wreck. Might try again but seems not for me after a few tries.

The 'balancing job' of the mix assistant is way off for me too. It's better for me to balance the tracks myself.

rksinger 8th June 2019 05:47 PM

I do a lot of film/tv music as well as producing/composing singles for myself and others. Heavy user of Neutron 2. I do use the production assistant as a starting place. Comically, well it amuses "me," tt has a bias towards boosting 5k. The "everything sounds better louder" boost I guess. Nice for a starting place, but pretty much found it to be a swiss army knife plug in. I LOVE the "masking feature," as a quickie sidechain duck AND the way they are integrating all their plugins across a project. I grabbed Neutron 3, even though I thought it an extremely expensive upgrade. Mainly I got it because of the promise of the capability of Neutron 2 with 1/3 the CPU and memory hit (roughly). However, when I added it to a couple mixes in progress (already with a lot of Neutron 2) whenever I tried to substitute Neutron 2 with 3, my CPU spiked and then stuck in the red. Sigh! This is on a 12 core i7 with 64 gigs of ram also running a digigrid extreme server. I need to dig in as the dynamic EQ (love this on Neutron 2) is completely different visually (on the frequencies shown) and there is probably a way to flex this so I can get to everything and see the overall spectrum like on 2, but I have to dig that out. Not sure why the default has everything scrunched to the left. I am thinking I will start a new project with no Neutron 2 and just see if mixing them (Neutron 2 and 3) is causing the CPU hit.

sirthought 8th June 2019 09:03 PM

So @ rksinger it was a worse CPU hit with Neutron 3? That's curious. Especially with such a beefy computer that it would give you fits. So was that not the case with Neutron 2? How many tracks roughly?

I noticed that the plugin visual design looks more sparse and wondered if that would mean much of a learning curve again.

Animalcloset 8th June 2019 09:52 PM

Anyone who's directly compared this to Gullfoss care to share their opinion? I was about to buy that, but then this came out.

howseth 8th June 2019 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animalcloset (Post 14027620)
Anyone who's directly compared this to Gullfoss care to share their opinion? I was about to buy that, but then this came out.

I was also thinking about that - and I have Neutron 2 already...

Animalcloset 8th June 2019 11:22 PM

To clarify, I'm talking only about the quality of Sculptor vs Gullfoss.
Thanks

ILME 8th June 2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesleyamltd (Post 14026680)

really nice to hear that. I've already written to them a couple of days ago exactly about this. The update price from 2 to 3 for Neutron ADV. I told them in my email i found it fairer that the price should be less than 100 euros. So i guess i can wait for a discount too...

But also a significant thing for me is that when something does not seem right to the customers from the start, it's usually not right! :) For example i didn't hear anyone complain about the Neutron 2 STANDARD upgrade price, which seems fairer.

I hope they change this for everyone soon, and not only for us few that have sent them emails.

sirthought 9th June 2019 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILME (Post 14027795)
But also a significant thing for me is that when something does not seem right to the customers from the start, it's usually not right! :) For example i didn't hear anyone complain about the Neutron 2 STANDARD upgrade price, which seems fairer.

Well, the biggest features anyone SHOULD want are in Advanced. Why pay for the upgrade without the Mix Assistant?

A lot of people like Neutron as a channel strip, but really it's the advanced features that make it worth any price of admission. That's the case for Nectar Advanced too. RX7 Standard is still awesome.

morelia 9th June 2019 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Stravinsky (Post 14027216)
The 'balancing job' of the mix assistant is way off for me too. It's better for me to balance the tracks myself.

Good to know. That's why I'm looking for what others are doing.

Although the more I think about it the less interesting this feature becomes. I can get levels close pretty easily myself, it's getting them perfect I struggle with.

sirthought 9th June 2019 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morelia (Post 14028014)
Good to know. That's why I'm looking for what others are doing.

Although the more I think about it the less interesting this feature becomes. I can get levels close pretty easily myself, it's getting them perfect I struggle with.

I see it as really trying to set your gain staging levels on raw tracks so it's sort of in the zone of a mix, but leaving you plenty of headroom so once you make decisions on EQ, dynamics, etc., you don't have to readjust everything quite as much.

Think about how many bad EQ decisions are made when the initial mix levels are out of whack, or when you start mixing your drums before balancing with the rest of the mix.

It's a really different tool, but it could be useful for starting things off on a better footing.

carambo 9th June 2019 11:49 AM

Is it me or the songs in the demo could be fixed quickly with few plugins...

ILME 9th June 2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirthought (Post 14027932)
Well, the biggest features anyone SHOULD want are in Advanced. Why pay for the upgrade without the Mix Assistant?

A lot of people like Neutron as a channel strip, but really it's the advanced features that make it worth any price of admission. That's the case for Nectar Advanced too. RX7 Standard is still awesome.

Sure, no doubt you're right on this one my friend. The thing is when i bought Neutron 2 Advanced for more than 300 euros, only 70 days ago, I was promised that these were the most advanced features of Neutron...
I wasn't told that "hey, we can make everything work a lot faster, less CPU intensive and we will be adding better features very soon, but for the moment let's act like you don't know this, and buy Neutron 2".. ? That is what does not feel right also.
But of course iZotope is a great company, and i'm totally satisfied with what they deliver, that's why I'm always interested in buying their products.

Regarding this Nectar Advanced product, actually I'm not aware of such a product. Does it exist, is it in their plans?