iZotope Introduces Neutron 3 - Page 10 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iZotope Introduces Neutron 3
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I guess that depends on what you're using it for. For bus work, I heavily prefer Gullfoss over Sculptor, but I wouldn't really reach for Gullfoss for use on individual instruments. Sculptor just makes more sense there.
Can you say why?

My demo for Gullfoss expired just around the time I realized Sculptor might achieve similar results.

There seems to be a common opinion that Gullfoss is better for master/bus and Sculptor is better for individual tracks.

But ... why?

If these were standard EQs or compressors, I'd be asking why some EQs/Comps might generally work better on the master and another EQ/Comp might work better on individual channels.

I know that Sculptor has a bunch of instrument / section presets. But without those Gullfoss wouldn't necessarily be limited to the bus/master. And putting Sculptor in Neutron implies that it's for tracks, but what if the next version of Ozone comes with a Sculptor section; what would make it "right" for busses or entire mixes?

Plus Sculptor already has presets for bus and master too.

If it's simply subjective or difficult to put into words, then okay ... but I'm curious about the underlying reasons why people are preferring one tool for one purpose and the other tool (generally) for a different purpose.

Again my Gullfoss demo expired so I cannot do any more A/B comparisons myself at the moment.
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
There seems to be a common opinion that Gullfoss is better for master/bus and Sculptor is better for individual tracks.

But ... why?
Sculptor has selectable options for individual elements like Bass, Percussion, Keys, etc. So it can get very specific with the way that it reacts to the audio you feed it; similar to Smart:EQ 2, except it keeps on working in real time.

It does offer options for bus processing, but in practice, it isn't as sophisticated in design as Gullfoss is for that purpose. IMO, the most important difference is in the results that can be achieved with each, but any kind of desired result can vary from person to person... which is why it's so important to try them both out at the same time and make the comparison for yourself.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
Again my Gullfoss demo expired so I cannot do any more A/B comparisons myself at the moment.
Get in touch with Soundtheory support and we'll happily extend your trial. I don't think there is any reason to prefer Sculptor on individual tracks. Just make sure you use Gullfoss' frequency range limiters to indicate the relevant bandwidth of the instrument.

Andreas
plx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atell View Post
Get in touch with Soundtheory support and we'll happily extend your trial. I don't think there is any reason to prefer Sculptor on individual tracks. Just make sure you use Gullfoss' frequency range limiters to indicate the relevant bandwidth of the instrument.

Andreas
there really isn't and they don't work so similarly.

Neutron is great, but there's no functionality there that replaces gullfoss.

on a similar note, Ozone's Spectral Shaper work similarly to Gullfoss "Tame" parameter - but only that one.
Old 17th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

And vice versa. I wouldn't reach for Gullfoss for the same reasons I would reach for Neutron, and I wouldn't reach for Neutron for the same reasons I would reach for Gullfoss. That is how a person could prefer one over the other depending on what they're trying to achieve for a specific task.

As great as Gullfoss is, I'm not going to mix an entire song using it. But I could do exactly that using Neutron, and throw Gullfoss on the stereo bus to polish the result.
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Neutron is quite a nifty channel strip, altho I never used the AI features. My favourite module is the transient shaper. That thing is wonderful.
I was wondering what you guys thought of the EQ module. I usually have Q3 before to do all the sculpting, dynamic eq ing. Is Neutron 3's eq module as good as? Can I use it with confidence? I understand it doesn't do linear phase.
Lives for gear

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtzbass View Post
Neutron is quite a nifty channel strip, altho I never used the AI features. My favourite module is the transient shaper. That thing is wonderful.
I was wondering what you guys thought of the EQ module. I usually have Q3 before to do all the sculpting, dynamic eq ing. Is Neutron 3's eq module as good as? Can I use it with confidence? I understand it doesn't do linear phase.
I hate to be the bad bearer of news here, but the dbx 286s is actually slightly better than the Neutron 2/3 Advanced Noise Gate module. N2 Adv's noise Gate module is great but the hardware processor of dbx 286s nails it coldly!!
I just add the N2 Adv Gate for Post-processing after the 286s of course for a superbly-tight Auto-Black space in the track without overgating all three frequency bands.

For EQing, I stick with Tokyo Dawn Records Nova, TBProAudio's DSEQ, Izotopes Ozone 8/9 Dynamics (very very very underestimated module/plugin) with 8/9 Vintage Tape (hit the Bias negatively hard!!!) Soundtheory's Gullfoss, and DDMF IIEPro EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry View Post
I hate to be the bad bearer of news here, but the dbx 286s is actually slightly better than the Neutron 2/3 Advanced Noise Gate module. N2 Adv's noise Gate module is great but the hardware processor of dbx 286s nails it coldly!!
I just add the N2 Adv Gate for Post-processing after the 286s of course for a superbly-tight Auto-Black space in the track without overgating all three frequency bands.

For EQing, I stick with Tokyo Dawn Records Nova, TBProAudio's DSEQ, Izotopes Ozone 8/9 Dynamics (very very very underestimated module/plugin) with 8/9 Vintage Tape (hit the Bias negatively hard!!!) Soundtheory's Gullfoss, and DDMF IIEPro EQ.
Aren't you totally missing the point of the question that was asked?
Telling someone that a hardware unit is better than a software solution is not really helpful to someone who might be working in the box. Furthermore, he wanted to know if Neutron 3 EQ is comparable with Pro Q3.
plx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtzbass View Post
yes, it's a great EQ.

I had both bundles for a while, but eventually sold the MPS3.
But not because of quality, simply because of workflow, which i seem to prefer with fabfilter.
Also I never used AI.
I practically only used the Neutron's transient shaper and Ozone's imager, so it felt redundant having the whole MPS3 for that.

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with it - it's a great EQ, and has very flexible sidechaining for the dynamic section, pretty unique.

There's absolutely nothing you should worry about while using Neutron's EQ.

Re: linear phase
I almost never use it. I can't remember last time i did. I personally prefer a little phase distortion than preringing that linear-phase introduces. Preringing absolutely kills me. in 95% of cases i switch back to normal phase.
I wouldn't fuss about it.
Besides, your daw probably has a linearphase EQ for those rare occasion you might want it
Old 29th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikkers View Post
Aren't you totally missing the point of the question that was asked?
Telling someone that a hardware unit is better than a software solution is not really helpful to someone who might be working in the box. Furthermore, he wanted to know if Neutron 3 EQ is comparable with Pro Q3.
My belated apologies. I became overzealous to a solution that wholeheartedly now I found works for me it's it's out of the box then in the box for me.
📝 Reply