The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DDMF MagicDeathEye compressor plugin!
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

DDMF MagicDeathEye compressor plugin!

Everybody who has ever had a chance to listen to a MagicDeathEye compressor has been blown away by its sound. Carefully designed by Mr. Ian Sefchick (mastering engineer at Capitol Records), this tube compressor’s circuit is loosely based on a Fairchild 660. It’s a variable mu compressor that sounds just as great on your mastering bus as on your individual tracks. Nothing is smashed here, everything breathes and shines while the MagicDeathEye will smoothly glue your audio signal together in that warm and almost elegant way only expensive tube compressors can do it.

Already now a legendary piece of hardware, the MagicDeathEye compressor is just to good to be exclusively available only to some of the greatest studios in the world. After almost a year of careful circuit and signal analysis, DDMF and Ian Sefchick are extremely proud to present the official plugin version of this lovely beast! Staying extremely close to its hardware role model while still keeping the CPU load at a very reasonable level, we sincerely believe that the answer to the ever-old question “Do I really need another compressor plugin” is a resounding yes for this one!

We could go on and on here, telling you all about the definitely extremely interesting technical details like the eight(!) tubes that are being used, the handwound transformers and so on, but we think it’s about time you simply give this fantastic tool a spin and hear for yourself what the fuzz is all about. We hope you’ll enjoy the ride!

https://ddmf.eu/magicdeatheye/?fbcli...IzlBj8eakpWSbg

Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Nut

DDMF is an awesome company. I'll demo this asap!

PS: Bad taste with the Comic Sans font in the UI, but it's not DDMF's fault since they're just replicating the original aesthetics. lol
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Addict

No intro price? Just downloaded and installed. Looking forward to trying it out. Might be an insta-buy with an intro. $99 is just enough to require more careful consideration and testing though. I'm sure it's worth $99 no problem. I'm just being honest about my purchasing habits based on financial limitations and am not trying to make any implication about value. Especially because this looks like it had some time put into it. Anyway, congratulations on the new release.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Great unit to emulate. And very glad that Ian Sefchick worked on this too.

I'll test this as soon as possible.
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Maniac

I rarely buy $99 on a single plugin nowadays unless its so goood that I cant remove it on a track and no other plugin can do what its doing. Ill try it first thing in the morning. Hopefully there could be an intro of 49$ that would be an instant buy.
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Head

Really like this, sounds amazing. Not sure how the original hardware unit sounds.

/edit/

Def worth the price. But against others for the price better to wait for a sale or something

Congrats!

Last edited by Dj Walker; 3rd June 2019 at 12:41 AM..
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Ok, seriously, this thing is beyond amazing.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear
This has certainly been the year of Mu compressors!
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Trying it! First impression : almost indispensable. A truly great compressor, at least on a track I tried it on.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear
Won't have time to check it out properly today (at least not until later) but threw it in Plugin Doctor for a few seconds. It causes very weird flashing in Plugin Doctor as though the sound quickly cuts out. Just think that's a little funny considering DDMF make both, not seriously complaining. Could even be related to the demo.

That said, the THD is very dynamic. Stronger on bass frequencies and lessens as the frequency increases. Aliasing is very low too. Honestly, I need another Mu compressor like I need another hole in my head, and other purchases will have me hold off on buying this even if I love it, but this definitely looks interesting as hell.
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Nut

Yeah, the flashing is the demo. There‘s a short interruption every 60 seconds, but Plugindoctor doesn‘t work in real time but at a much higher rate, so these bursts occur every few seconds,
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Nut

Quick comparison with the IK Dyna Mu. DDMF has nailed that Valve thing IMO. There's not so much glue to it (as referred), rather more opening and saturation to my ears.

Last edited by JoFi; 2nd June 2019 at 08:48 PM..
Old 2nd June 2019
Ya this compressor is amazing, not at all surprised, Christian (DDMF) is supremely talented. If you haven't checked out the DDMF EQs, you should. Here's a really interesting post of his on equalization: Equalization for Rookies
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Nut
Ok. Can't test it. No time, sorry. So, bit later...
So, Plugindoctor analysing posts and audiodemo (dry/subtle/moderate/squashed/hottest etc)?
=)
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Addict

Tried it out beifly. My first take away - this thing has a reall yinteresting movement to it. Quite unique. I have a ton of Mu types 9then again, they are among my favourites)
This one really has its own thing going on. Seems there is no oversampling?
though i assume christian knows what he is doing - i have long said his eqs are among the best. He does incredible work.
Yeah, the price is high(ish) and it doesn't seem i am eligible for an upgrade path (only have the EQ bundle) but he has given us many great plugs for very little...guy has to make a living. So i am kind of torn on getting this.

Can't wait to try it more. Only wish there was a time limited full demo.
Old 2nd June 2019
Here for the gear

It's very good although I wished it could unlink the channels.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niowiad View Post
Same
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Addict

On my first little try it sound awesome. Have to test it more, but I like it.
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Addict

So does anyone know if it is spectral distortion? What about the crossover filters? I am just curious to know whats going on with it.
Does look really cool. Gonna test it tonight
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Head

Click the magic death eye symbol...

Does the hardware unit do this? Very Vintage, Very Interesting.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Ok. Stop the press. This. Sounds. RIDICULOUSLY good. Holy moly!!! Christian, yet again you've created something magical here!

I do have a few tiny feature requests (both tested in Reaper to be highly viable and awesome).

1) Variable stereo/dual-mono linking. If variable is not possible then at least a simple on/off button

2) Wet/Dry mix knob. This worked exceptionally well in Reaper on a lot of material.. slamming things hard with the MDE at about 25% wet only. Supreme control over various signals.

3) Please allow the tiny output trim screw to go to at least +12dB. This way the full range of the input knob can be used. Now it's impossible to compensate properly when input knob is really low and still using a lot of compression with the threshold.

Anyhow, this is definitely justifying the higher price tag (anybody remember when 99$ was considered cheap/moderate price?).
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niowiad View Post
Good request.
Looking at the hardware site I see there is a stereo version as well as the mono.
The ddmf take on it seems based on the mono hardware version.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

DDMF is underrated and Metaplugin 3 is an awesome tool that keeps getting better. Is this one meant as a bus compressor?
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

haven‘t tried properly yet, but the brand name and logo are just f***** cool!
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Question: What does hitting the MagicDeathEye logo do? We get a pinup girl on the metering but the GR metering also behaves different and the sound/compression changes. Is this a "vintage tubes" versus millenial tubes switch?

Any PDF manual of this thing somewhere?
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Addict

Very nice comp and i don't think $99 is high considering it's officially licensed.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Really liked the sound of this. And the attack options are great too.

The price is fair in my opinion.

Anyway, I too miss the features listed by bmanic.
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Maniac
Whoa, super super cool, what an awesome piece to emulate. Only tried it on a vocal and a piano soft synth, but it sounds really great. Can't wait to try it more.

This may just be my old inadequate mobile rig acting up, but the AAX version (PT 2018.4.317) currently uses almost half again as much CPU as Acustica El Rey. Anyone passingly familiar with Acustica products will know that that doesn't quite add up, haha. Possible bug in the AAX version? VST2 version in Ableton 9.5 is very impressively light by any measure.
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Guru

Sounds exellent , solid , but please give us a real output knob , those minuscule screw are just workflow killer !!

Drag and drop fx in studio one to another track lose all settings , is it the demo limitation ?

That girl mode is nervous , didn't read the manual but seems more graby and faster ..

Last edited by Jeezo; 3rd June 2019 at 04:02 AM..
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Sounds exellent , solid , but please give us a real output knob , those minuscule screw are just workflow killer !!

Drag and drop fx in studio one to another track lose all settings , is it the demo limitation ?

That girl mode is nervous , didn't read the manual but seems more graby and faster ..

Yea, that screw. Had to start using the parameters inside Bitwig to change it. So I was not so annoyed. Also noticed that other mode was named "Punch" while doing so. I like it a lot.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search