The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DDMF MagicDeathEye compressor plugin!
Old 17th August 2019
Anyone test the latest version (1.07) with Cubase 10?

Does adjusting the screw still crash Cubase on a Mac (Sierra)?

Also how is the DSP usage now

Thank you
Old 19th August 2019
Ok, finally tried ver 1.07 demo on Cubase 10.03 Nd Cubase 9.55 (latest for both). Mostly very good news IMHO. The action is a big highlight for sure. So is the warm, slightly fatter bottom end (but not at the loss of low end definition). I do like keeping the input up at the default level or a little higher and then changing the threshold to get the right amount of compression. I’m guessing it’s because the added drive is giving more saturation. It’s super smooth saturation though.

I COULD NOT get it to crash on Mac Sierra like earlier versions were reported to do when turning the output screw. Good news.

As far as DSP usage it’s much more efficient on Cubase 9.55 for some reason by quite a bit. On Cubase 10.03 using one instance eats up 10% on my MacPro 12 core. Adding 4 more instances though only eats up a total of 8% more. The first instance is a big chunk oh a high track count project. Hopefully further optimizations will be in the works.

Does anyone know if the knee changes as you turn the threshold knob clockwise?

Great compressor!
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone using this on channels/tracks? I only use it on the mixbus.
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I use it on everything. Its an all rounder!
Old 20th August 2019
Quote:
Same. MDE on Mix buss only... not necessarily intentionally, though.

Brighton, AR-1, smart:comp, Kotelnikov, Softube TLA-100 and CL1B, occasionally Waves dbx160 and until recently, RVox, RComp, CLA2a and CLA76 on tracks and busses. Using the Waves stuff less in the last 6 months as I’m really liking the new offerings a lot more. I usually track through a collection of good hardware comps, so I’m usually in pretty good shape before mix.

I did try MDE on some tracks and busses and it was perfectly fine... but just kissing the 2-buss seems what it was built for and it’s great in that slot.

Don’t forget it on bass, though. I’m not doing anything too aggressive, but it was really good on my J-Bass in parallel in a couple of tracks.
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I sent a blind shootout to my partner and it won on vocals. Shootout included brighton and every TimP comp.
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgeorge View Post
Ok, finally tried ver 1.07 demo on Cubase 10.03 Nd Cubase 9.55 (latest for both). Mostly very good news IMHO. The action is a big highlight for sure. So is the warm, slightly fatter bottom end (but not at the loss of low end definition). I do like keeping the input up at the default level or a little higher and then changing the threshold to get the right amount of compression. I’m guessing it’s because the added drive is giving more saturation. It’s super smooth saturation though.

I COULD NOT get it to crash on Mac Sierra like earlier versions were reported to do when turning the output screw. Good news.

As far as DSP usage it’s much more efficient on Cubase 9.55 for some reason by quite a bit. On Cubase 10.03 using one instance eats up 10% on my MacPro 12 core. Adding 4 more instances though only eats up a total of 8% more. The first instance is a big chunk oh a high track count project. Hopefully further optimizations will be in the works.

Does anyone know if the knee changes as you turn the threshold knob clockwise?

Great compressor!
1.07 does sound different. More saturated. Was this in a change log I missed?
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
1.07 does sound different. More saturated. Was this in a change log I missed?
More saturated would be a real disappointment for me
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Nut

I cannot imagine how any change in the sound could have occurred with the latest update...
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Sligtly more bottom sounds great, sounded a bit thin to me. I didn’t like more then 5-6 db on vocals (can do a few db more with Arouser/fabfilter) but I like the color of the compressor. A tiny bit more saturation wouldn’t hurt. Wasted my demo though.. maybe have to ask for another go if the sounds has changed.
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaD View Post
I sent a blind shootout to my partner and it won on vocals. Shootout included brighton and every TimP comp.
Brighton beats anything ITB for vocals here! MDE lives on the mixbus though, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbalance View Post
More saturated would be a real disappointment for me
Same here, love it just as it is. So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdued View Post
I cannot imagine how any change in the sound could have occurred with the latest update...
Is great to hear.
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdued View Post
Well, that would be great to be confirmed. I'm actually thinking about not updating.
Old 21st August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Well, that would be great to be confirmed. I'm actually thinking about not updating.
I think that since @ docdued is the developer, there's your confirmation.
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Head

Nice Compressor.
Old 28th August 2019
Here for the gear

@ docdued , on how many computer can I install DME ? I didn't want to test it, bought it ... after one night of sweet gluey dreams, great job!
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Nut

Hey, you are allowed to use it on any computer you personally own.
Old 29th August 2019
Ver 1.08 is out and it says it fixed a bug with Logic. Anyone know if it is any more efficient on DSP?
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Ahaah you literraly made me LOL , man you should have gone with the hw clarity it s not that expensive and leave your comp screen clean
Thanks for this recommendation! Got it few days ago and this is one of those best things since sliced bread :-)
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Nut

How is this for dealing with rap/hip-hop heavy bass and hard kick material?
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrizzie View Post
How is this for dealing with rap/hip-hop heavy bass and hard kick material?
For this type , balance is everything , i would go with this one , but more vca and/or Sat/clipper ... just to control fast transient and energy , not to really compress ... kiss it
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
For this type , balance is everything , i would go with this one , but more vca and/or Sat/clipper ... just to control fast transient and energy , not to really compress ... kiss it
Thank you Jeezo. And I appreciate all the info you drop in your videos as well.
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrizzie View Post
Thank you Jeezo. And I appreciate all the info you drop in your videos as well.
Thks for the kidn words ...keep in mind that 808 based music is not that much compressed when it comes to drums ...the rest is usally compressed ...

The amount of compression depends on several elements , the more sounds the more movements , the more you might want to stabilise things ....

On the other hand you might want to keep mivement , trust your ears and music vibes heritage you have in head ...

The other thing that deictate the a amount is the mood you want to transmit with track ...smooth ...marinating type of beat = control , soft transient , easy on highs ect ...

Energic , agressive : mivementv, dynamics , hard eq s ect .... don t know if i m clear lol just ipading ya quikly
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thks for the kidn words ...keep in mind that 808 based music is not that much compressed when it comes to drums ...the rest is usally compressed ...

The amount of compression depends on several elements , the more sounds the more movements , the more you might want to stabilise things ....

On the other hand you might want to keep mivement , trust your ears and music vibes heritage you have in head ...

The other thing that deictate the a amount is the mood you want to transmit with track ...smooth ...marinating type of beat = control , soft transient , easy on highs ect ...

Energic , agressive : mivementv, dynamics , hard eq s ect .... don t know if i m clear lol just ipading ya quikly
Makes perfect sense to me lol. Thank you.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
I don't know how I totally missed this compressed when I came out!

Anyone compared to Pulsar MU?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post

Quite a few people - they're very complementary and work well one into another.

MDE is more transparent, incredibly easy to set up (always sounds good) for an amazing groove. This is a must buy imo :¬)

Mu is equally as good, but can be driven more and is more versatile. Both sound very open.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Yes.... Myself and colleague did some blind tests with 4 MU plugins on mixbus (AR-1, MU, Magenta) on 2 different tracks, with some other Nebula/Acqua comps thrown in. Spent a long time listening to the level matched files.....

I blindly picked out MDE every single time on multiple versions with different gain reduction etc. The differences were quite startling. MDE was noticeably more relaxed than MU and sounded more open.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quite a few people - they're very complementary and work well one into another.

MDE is more transparent, incredibly easy to set up (always sounds good) for an amazing groove. This is a must buy imo :¬)

Mu is equally as good, but can be driven more and is more versatile. Both sound very open.
Interesting that we simultaneously replied and both used the word ‘open’ to describe MDE!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Interesting that we simultaneously replied and both used the word ‘open’ to describe MDE!
Yeah it's great. If using Mu I pair it with StageOne for that extra depth. Love that plugin, subtle but significant.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

Mu seems to have more mojo at first , specially when it enhance perceived loudness ... that said , when it comes to complex material compression , my main goal is movement and choregraphy / feel (speed , groove , life of material in time ) and in this aspect , MDF is superior in every aspect , specially the attack and groove ...
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Mu seems to have more mojo at first , specially when it enhance perceived loudness ... that said , when it comes to complex material compression , my main goal is movement and choregraphy / feel (speed , groove , life of material in time ) and in this aspect , MDF is superior in every aspect , specially the attack and groove ...
Agree on all counts. MDE dances to the groove and sounds more open. Mu has more tone and clamps down on things more. Both are excellent and complimentary.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search