The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Samar Audio Releases Newest AL95 Ribbon Microphone
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Samar Audio Releases Newest AL95 Ribbon Microphone

Samar Audio Design, LLC pleased to announce company's newest Samar AL95 figure 8 passive ribbon microphone. Years of perfecting ribbon transducers, and experience in machining and making them exclusively in house have allowed Samar Audio to create a microphone of ultimate performance for a price that is unheard for a completely US made microphone. This makes it perfect solution for home studios, artists, and engineers with budget restrictions, as well as professional engineers, whose goal is making the highest quality recordings. Specifically designed for very smooth, extended frequency response, and low distortions, it is handcrafted and meticulously assembled at the company’s Salt Lake City based shop.

This design was conceived and realized by the company’s founder, Dr. Mark Fouxman. The efficiency of the construction, such as its uni-body design, unique and innovative motor structure and parts utilization, makes for a microphone consisting of very few parts, which is the main factor for such a drastic price drop. However, do not let its budget price give you the wrong impression—this is a high end, no-compromise microphone, which will provide the highest possible level of performance and years of dependability.

At the heart of the microphone is a ‘piston’ corrugated ribbon. Compared to the regular ‘zig-zag’ corrugation, it offers lower noise, deeper, fuller, and more controlled bass response, higher output, lower resonance modes, and very high SPL handling. All those advantages are due to the ribbon motion, which is similar to that of speaker cones. A very important feature of the ribbon is its robust construction and therefore, much lower fragility than conventional ribbon microphones. Due to this, they do not require any special precautions for storage.

The ribbon motor is coupled to an in-house made amorphous-core torroidal transformer, which started its lineage from Samar’s flagship MF65. The transformer ratio and other parameters were specifically matched for this microphone. This optimization has resulted in very low distortion, noise, and neutral sonics.

Due to its modern design and linearity, the AL95 has a very wide range of applications, especially where a deep bass response and extended top are of importance. Also, its symmetrical design makes it perfect suited for M-S and Blumlein applications.

The Samar Audio AL95 comes in an injection-molded, US made carrying case with anti-vibration, shock-proof clip. It features a 1-year part and ribbon replacement warranty (limited to two services), and 15-day satisfaction guarantee.

Retail Price $399

For Introductory Special pre-orders and more details please visit Samar Audio Design, LLC website:

www.samaraudiodesign.com/AL95.html
Attached Thumbnails
Samar Audio Releases Newest AL95 Ribbon Microphone-al95ribbon.png  

Last edited by Marik; 2nd June 2019 at 05:38 AM..
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Your mic designs are really cool! Love the honeycomb pattern on those other ones too.
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Looks nice, how is it different to the VL37? I guess it is passive, right?
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantine View Post
Looks nice, how is it different to the VL37? I guess it is passive, right?
Konstantine,

Both are modern ribbons, with extended top end and very linear response. There are however, some major differences between those two.

The VL37 is a regular 'zig-zag' corrugation, while the AL95 is a 'piston' one. The 'pistons' have some important advantages and the main would be they are more efficient, go lower, and have more controlled low end. Just think of 'piston' Beyer M160/260 or old B&O re-ribboned with regular corrugation--they would have some 3dB lower output and will never have the same quality of the low end response. Also, 'pistons' have much less resonant nature and as such lower distortions. Another difference the AL95 ribbon is shorter than VL37, so it has better directivity in vertical plane.

In short, sonically the AL95 has quite a bit lower end extension and more transparent sound with less distortions.

And yes, it is passive--thanks for noticing it--updated the text. The body is pretty small (only 1" diameter), so there is not much room inside. For active we are looking into making SMD circuit, or having inline preamp, which would plug right into the bottom of the mic without any extra cables. One way or another we will figure it out and make it happened))).

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best, M
Old 25th May 2019
Deleted 4373f97
Oh wow. It always sounds like Samar mics are leagues above other ribbon mics. Now we have an affordable priced one. Definitely worth a purchase.
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Head

When does the introductory price end???
Old 10th June 2019
I'm so insanely curious about this mic... anyone bite yet?
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievanwailin View Post
When does the introductory price end???
Hi Eddievanwailin,

Usually, we go to the 'normal' price after the first bigger batch, so all production is figured out and most of the parts are on the shelves. I already wrote all the machining CNC files for all the parts, we figured out all the suppliers, so if nothing unforseen happens we should start shipping in some 4 weeks.

Best, M
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear
Sounds great. Just ordered a pair. Looking forward to these. Samar reribboned my Beyer m160/130 combo and they sound better. Fuller sound. The Duralum material Beyer uses that gets brittle over time was replaced with pure aluminum.
Old 21st June 2019
Here for the gear
Mark, what are the dimensions of the new mic? Will they fit in a Rycote holder? Thanks!
Old 22nd June 2019
TC2
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik View Post
For active we are looking into making SMD circuit, or having inline preamp, which would plug right into the bottom of the mic without any extra cables. One way or another we will figure it out and make it happened))).
How soon do you expect an active version to be available?
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Good news, Mark!

Quote:
The 'pistons' have some important advantages
Any cons?

Henk
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawee View Post
Mark, what are the dimensions of the new mic? Will they fit in a Rycote holder? Thanks!
Brawee,

They are 5.250" long and 1" diameter and will be coming with shock-proof holder. We will also have an optional very high quality shock mount. Of course, if you want you can use Rycote--I am sure you can find correct size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2 View Post
How soon do you expect an active version to be available?
TC2,

Not sure yet. We have the schematics figured out, but still need to see how SMD version would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Good news, Mark!
Any cons?

Henk
Henk,

They are harder to form. Other than that I cannot think any.

Best, M
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are harder to form. Other than that I cannot think any.

So that leads to the inevitable question why not use them in all your mics?

Not to complain, 'cause I now they're superb! Just curious.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
So that leads to the inevitable question why not use them in all your mics?

Not to complain, 'cause I now they're superb! Just curious.
Legato,

We asked some of our customers about that. The VL37/A series are very sweet sounding microphones, so there is no need to 'improve' them--don't fix if it ain't broken... Replacing with piston ribbons would make them different microphones with different sonic signature.That means none of the sound samples, or descriptions would work anymore, and create lot's of confusion and mess. Naturally, we would not want it happen)))

Best, Mark
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

I'm still having trouble picturing what the "piston ribbon" looks like. Do you have any pictures?
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik View Post
Legato,

We asked some of our customers about that. The VL37/A series are very sweet sounding microphones, so there is no need to 'improve' them--don't fix if it ain't broken... Replacing with piston ribbons would make them different microphones with different sonic signature.That means none of the sound samples, or descriptions would work anymore, and create lot's of confusion and mess. Naturally, we would not want it happen)))

Best, Mark

Makes sense to me, Mark. Thanks.

Anyone else here who's tempted (either way or both ways)?

Henk
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Addict
Are these out yet to buyers who already pre bought?
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut

Any updates on this mic? Has anyone tried it out?
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Addict
I think it was the end of may i placed my order for one of these.
The website says est. 6 x weeks delivery.
We are long past 6 x weeks .
I noticed an update that said 4 x weeks after the start of June it would be ready as long as no unforseen issues.
Have we seen unforseen issues?
Can we get an update to what is happening?
Old 1 week ago
yes agreed, really curious as to the status. ive been trying to be patient, emailing only once per month in the 3 months since i placed my order... an update would be great!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcenter View Post
yes agreed, really curious as to the status. ive been trying to be patient, emailing only once per month in the 3 months since i placed my order... an update would be great!
Hey folks,

Thank you for your support and sorry for the delay, which is common with new product. We got much more interest in those than we anticipated and had to restructure our entire production. At this point the first batch of bodies (which should cover all existing orders) is in anodizing (should be back next week). After that engraving and final assembly should not take too long until we start shipping.

For more information on the progress and insights on our manufacturing processes please visit and like us on Facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/High.Qualit...?ref=bookmarks

We do not always check this thread, so if you have any questions please email us.

Best, M
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search