The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PreSonus releases Studio One 4.5
Old 21st May 2019
News Desk Editor

PreSonus releases Studio One 4.5-presonus_studio_one_4-5.jpg

PreSonus® is now shipping Studio One® 4.5, a major update to its powerful yet easy-to-use recording and production software. With more than 70 new features and improvements, this free update for Studio One 4 users adds several of the most requested features from the Studio One user community and adds advanced tools that streamline professional audio and MIDI production workflows.

The redesigned Input Channel section adds updated hardware preamp controls for selected PreSonus audio interfaces, as well as software-based input gain and phase controls to every input. This combination of hardware- and software-based gain controls offers more flexibility and control throughout the entire recording and mixing process. All audio and instrument channels, effects channels, and buses also feature gain and phase controls so you can manage perfect levels across the entire mix without increasing event gain.

Grouping has been completely redesigned: Groups now have attributes for defining edit groups or mix groups using attributes for Volume, Pan, Mute/Solo, Inserts, and Sends. Groups can be nested and can be easily edited and activated/suspended with one click. A dedicated command can globally enable/disable all Groups at once.

Setting up an external audio interface is a lot easier thanks to several I/O setup improvements. Add any number of new inputs and outputs in just one step, including custom naming and coloring. Inputs and outputs can be reordered with simple drag-and-drop. Users who switch interfaces, move between studios, or collaborate will appreciate the new Import and Export options for I/O setups.

A new Plug-In Manager lists all installed third-party plug-ins, including a list of plug-ins that were blacklisted during the initial scan, allowing them to be reset individually or globally. Showing or hiding individual or groups of plug-ins only takes a few clicks.

Honoring one of Studio One users’ top requests, CPU load for using combined virtual instruments inside a Multi-Instrument has been reduced by a whopping 70% for Native Plug-ins and by around 50% for third-party instruments like Kontakt. CPU optimization has also been implemented for Mai Tai, Presence XT, SampleOne® XT, and Impact XT.

Studio One 4.5 takes MIDI editing to a new level with major new features and improvements to speed up workflow. Several powerful new note actions have been added; examples include Fill with Notes, Randomize Notes, Apply Scale and Mirror Notes. Note actions can be used manually and individually, and they can be assigned to keyboard shortcuts and used as part of a Macro command. Shortcuts or Macros can then be added to any Macro Toolbar, enabling even more powerful customization.

The new update adds many other important features and enhancements. For instance, the Chord Selector now offers a convenient Audition mode. Individual Audio Events, Audio Parts, and Instrument Parts in an arrangement can now be locked to prevent unintentional moving or editing, and you can even lock entire tracks. You can now export video with the audio mixdown as the soundtrack. AAC (m4a) and ALAC (Apple Lossless) format compatibility for audio import and export at different bit depths and sample rates have been added.

For more information about what’s new in Studio One 4.5, please visit www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/whats-new.

Attached Thumbnails
PreSonus releases Studio One 4.5-presonus_studio_one_4-5.jpg  
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Guru

Im experiencing freeze and graphical freeze , s1 start to be unrespondîg until i go ctrl alt supp ....on windows 8.1 here , anyone ?

Glad to see all'the new stuff really handy for everyone .... i would love the batch convertor to be included but it s ok ...

Still i think the plugin management could be better with at least some plugin layout recalls

Great update content , thks Presonus .... i was gasing other the cubase offers , it calmed it down quite a bit lol...
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear
Multicore for vsts. Finally! That’s all I wanted. Rest is icing.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Head

the best DAW just got better
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

I'm looking forward to installing in the next day or so. Thrilled about CPU improvement and excited to dig in and see if my personal list of small irritants have been resolved.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Nut

Fantastic update, one of the best ever! Great new features for mixing! And it's free! Thanks, Presonus!
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienaircraft View Post
the best DAW just got better
What? Logic??
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
What? Logic??
Totally off topic but I wish Logic wasn't so buggy for me. I wanted to love it but I had constant problems.

Studio 1 on the other hand has been solid, efficient and fun to use.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

I'm looking forward to testing this and PT2019!
Now if I only could find the time....
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Guru

I don t see cpu improvement for regular use , didn t tested the multi (this where cpu improvement is actually )

Still that freeze gui after clean install ....i think i m rolling back ....guyz be sure to install not replacing old one to be sure to have the old one as plan b ....i usually don t update before several month but was exitd to see simple stuff like group option and trim finally being there ...still
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I don t see cpu improvement for regular use , didn t tested the multi (this where cpu improvement is actually )

Still that freeze gui after clean install ....i think i m rolling back ....guyz be sure to install not replacing old one to be sure to have the old one as plan b ....i usually don t update before several month but was exitd to see simple stuff like group option and trim finally being there ...still
Updated - no GUI issues here, CPU utilization is better than in previous release.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
Updated - no GUI issues here, CPU utilization is better than in previous release.
i installed the old one will do a proper A/B and report , i suspect Vredistubutable issue maybe ....gonna investigate

EDIT : just opened the same project on both , same CPU , period !!! no cpu optimisation in this area , maybe vsti's but regular stuff nope , nada !
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear
The CPU improvement and reliability with Kontakt is great. This just shows how much you can get out of a machine with intelligent coding - it's all about the software these days.

Thank you Presonus!
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

"With Studio One 4.5, the CPU load for using combined virtual instruments inside a Multi-Instrument has been reduced by a whopping 70% for Native Plug-ins and by around 50% for third-party instruments like Kontakt. We’ve also added CPU optimization for Mai Tai and Presence XT.

The improvements are in certain areas. e.g.

Virtual Instruments inside a Multi Instrument
Native Plugins
Mai Tai and Presence
Third party Instruments

If you are running a session with a lot of third party audio plugins then the CPU usage may remain as it was before"

Seems it's just multi mode were the cpu is reduced.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta View Post
" .... If you are running a session with a lot of third party audio plugins then the CPU usage may remain as it was before" ....
It's a great looking DAW with a feel somewhere in between the GUI layout of Logic and Cubase, but rev 3.5 made a complete waste of any serious investment in multicore mac hardware. Rev 3.5 failed miserably with multicore performance on Mac OS (10.13) for a serial chain of ~10+ DSP intensive 3rd party audio plugins applied to playback of only 1 stereo file. It did not come close to distributing its threads across multiple cores the way Logic 10.4 or Cubase 10 did on the same machine. The CPU meter did not even show the load on multiple cores - it appeared to only show the load on one core. Once that indicator overloaded, the playback would come to a complete halt if I recall. I'll see if I can run the same project on the new 4.0 version.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta View Post
"With Studio One 4.5, the CPU load for using combined virtual instruments inside a Multi-Instrument has been reduced by a whopping 70% for Native Plug-ins and by around 50% for third-party instruments like Kontakt. We’ve also added CPU optimization for Mai Tai and Presence XT.

The improvements are in certain areas. e.g.

Virtual Instruments inside a Multi Instrument
Native Plugins
Mai Tai and Presence
Third party Instruments

If you are running a session with a lot of third party audio plugins then the CPU usage may remain as it was before"

Exact , this is what i m saying , on a post production scenario , usually where i need cpu optimisation , nothing new !
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

"import session data" is still not as complete as it is in Pro Tools?
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar View Post
"import session data" is still not as complete as it is in Pro Tools?
Presonus released Audio Batch Converter as a paid version for about 50€.
A much better solution from what I have only seen on YT in my opinion. A huge time saver if it works as advertised.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Presonus released Audio Batch Converter as a paid version for about 50€.
A much better solution from what I have only seen on YT in my opinion. A huge time saver if it works as advertised.
Nothing to do with "Import Session Data" from PT as we know it...
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Nothing to do with "Import Session Data" from PT as we know it...
... Thank you, that is way I'm sticking with Pro Tools. I'm a mixing guy and not being able to import data, from song to song, as quickly and easily like PT, would slow down my workflow a lot. S1 is a great music making tool, but PT still ahead for mixing IMO. Some says that Cubase and Logic, Reaper has some work around, that might work as well, but I haven't seen it yet...

Just to clarify, Studio One looks great otherwise and maybe if they get as CPU efficient as Cubase/Logic I would consider giving it a shot...
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
... Thank you, that is way I'm sticking with Pro Tools. I'm a mixing guy and not being able to import data, from song to song, as quickly and easily like PT, would slow down my workflow a lot. S1 is a great music making tool, but PT still ahead for mixing IMO. Some says that Cubase and Logic, Reaper has some work around, that might work as well, but I haven't seen it yet...

Just to clarify, Studio One looks great otherwise and maybe if they get as CPU efficient as Cubase/Logic I would consider giving it a shot...
Studio One is a lot more efficient than Logic and Cubase.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Audio Batch Converter lets you gain stage audio tracks and even print plugins before import if you like. Not bad for a mixing assistant who asks 50€ for working the rest of his life.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
Studio One is a lot more efficient than Logic and Cubase.
Ha, it didn't take long for the same old BS, NO S1 isn't "a lot more efficient than Logic" and if you really believe it is then prove it, post a video demonstrating it, you won't because you can't, Logic when it comes to mixing is massively more CPU efficient than S1, that is a fact.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

To be fair, they implemented a sort of "halfway there" import session data equivalent a couple of updates ago... But still far from what you can do in PT, but my guess is that they are aiming there.

PS. I am mainly a Cubase/Nuendo guy, but for me on Windows 10 (across 3 pcs) Studio One has always been much more cpu friendly when it comes to the numbers of plugins it handles... A big difference in the favour of S1 actually.
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Excuse me guys But...
There is an import session data in STUDIO ONE!!! Come on people!! Go to Menu > Song > Import Song Data.

You can import all the channels you want even auxes, and plugins, settings, automation and whatever.

This is a complete DAW guys. Theres google, dont assume it doesnt have that function, you havent even scratched its surface. ?
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
Excuse me guys But...
There is an import session data in STUDIO ONE!!! Come on people!! Go to Menu > Song > Import Song Data.

You can import all the channels you want even auxes, and plugins, settings, automation and whatever.

This is a complete DAW guys. Theres google, dont assume it doesnt have that function, you havent even scratched its surface. ?
Have you ever seen the Import Session Data within PT?

If so, you probably know that we are only "halfway" there in S1.... yet

Just saying.

PS. I wish Cubase had something like the S1 version of Import Song Data, as the save/load selected channels within the Cubase mixer is something you have to handle with care (that is the real "poor mans" import session data)

PS. I have used S1 om and off since v1
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Have you ever seen the Import Session Data within PT?

If so, you probably know that we are only "halfway" there in S1.... yet

Just saying.

PS. I wish Cubase had something like the S1 version of Import Song Data, as the save/load selected channels within the Cubase mixer is something you have to handle with care (that is the real "poor mans" import session data)

PS. I have used S1 om and off since v1
Halfway? Why whats missing?
I used Pro Tools and all i want to import is Tracks, Auxes and plugins and automation/setups. And I can do the same in Studio One.
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Ha, it didn't take long for the same old BS, NO S1 isn't "a lot more efficient than Logic" and if you really believe it is then prove it, post a video demonstrating it, you won't because you can't, Logic when it comes to mixing is massively more CPU efficient than S1, that is a fact.
Two of my friends - Cubase 10 users - recently demoed Studio One and they both stated that it's a lot snappier and overall more efficient on their machines than Cubase.

I'm happy with Studio One, you be happy with whatever DAW you're using. Peace.
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

What about omf and aaf , isnt it supported by s1 ? Never used it , i m a sonar vet and using s1 since 2 years but for personnal stuff mainybwhen time allows ..
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What about omf and aaf , isnt it supported by s1 ? Never used it , i m a sonar vet and using s1 since 2 years but for personnal stuff mainybwhen time allows ..
AAF is supported. I always transfer sessions from ProTools to Studio One.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search