The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus releases Studio One 4.5
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Besides looking the cpu meters, how does it actually behave? Because I can run my sessions at cpu meter well over 90%, you can't do that in many other daws can you..
Old 18th September 2019
Here for the gear

I get pops and crackles at 80-85% CPU usage in S1.
I'll be testing distributions of vst to multiple tracks.
I think VST Instruments will be the main problem as they consume up to 20% of S1 CPU Power each. Kontact5 - 19%, BfD - 17%, MaiTai - 18% etc.. as you see it will max the S1 after 4 instances of VST Instruments even though actual usage of the 8core-CPU by S1 is only about 20% (shown in Resource Manager). I think I now understand better the "CPU Power" reading in S1. It has nothing to do with actual CPU usage. For me 85% CPU in S1 = 18% actual CPU usage. Did not expect this when upgrading my computer.
Old 4th October 2019
Here for the gear

Anybody else experiencing CPU issues with studio one on mac? Just jumped the ship from Logic pro X and Live 10, but I'm really starting to regret buying Studio One. Compared to logic, studio one's CPU performance feels 70% less efficient (no joke). Tried to get a refund the day after purchase, which after some back and forth with Presonus seems impossible. In this current state, no matter how good the features of the program is, I will never lay my hands on it again. Feels like I bought in to a half-assed beta... Really disappointed, to say the least. I'm from Norway, any Americans here who knows if I'm protected from consumer protection laws I can make use of?

Sorry for spreading bad vibes around here - I love the features of Studio One, just amazed (in a bad way) of how horrible it handles my CPU compared to other DAWS I've used.
Old 13th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berba View Post
Anybody else experiencing CPU issues with studio one on mac? Just jumped the ship from Logic pro X and Live 10, but I'm really starting to regret buying Studio One. Compared to logic, studio one's CPU performance feels 70% less efficient (no joke). Tried to get a refund the day after purchase, which after some back and forth with Presonus seems impossible. In this current state, no matter how good the features of the program is, I will never lay my hands on it again. Feels like I bought in to a half-assed beta... Really disappointed, to say the least. I'm from Norway, any Americans here who knows if I'm protected from consumer protection laws I can make use of?

Sorry for spreading bad vibes around here - I love the features of Studio One, just amazed (in a bad way) of how horrible it handles my CPU compared to other DAWS I've used.
I remember CPU usage was a bit of an issue for me also when I moved years ago from Logic 9 to Studio One (v1 or 2 at the time). But it was mostly the way Studio One consumes CPU while idle. Can't say how they compare today tho.

Have you checked what exactly does consume your CPU? You can see individual plugin CPU percentage. You may also have track armed and monitoring at some latency all the time even if it's not necessary.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berba View Post

I myself quit using Studio One at the 3.5. mark due to the bugs that kept on cumulating, such as the weird CPU spike problem where, regardless of your overall CPU usage, you'd get annoying clicks and pops. After version 2, I never found Studio One to handle the demands of PROFESSIONAL work; simply too many crashes, incompatibilities. Tried some 4.x version and still crashed on my Mac, so at some point moved to Logic, which has been working great.

Overall I find the "brand image" of Presonus being that of a hobbyist firm; plasticky, unfinished and barely capable hardware and software, especially for pro work where you don't have time to battle issues. Nothing brings a music inspiration down than having to yet again start disabling VST or AU plugins to find out your plugin failed to comply with S1's poor effect code.

The biggest real life problem with Studio One is that Presonus would need to allocate resources to properly betatesting their software before releasing.

Which they will never do, of course. Rather, this demanding and costly task is handed over to the customers. I've followed thru the whole development cycle from 3.0 and onwards, used both Mac and PC, so I pretty much know this inside and out. Unfortunately so.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderpills View Post
I myself quit using Studio One at the 3.5. mark due to the bugs that kept on cumulating, such as the weird CPU spike problem where, regardless of your overall CPU usage, you'd get annoying clicks and pops. After version 2, I never found Studio One to handle the demands of PROFESSIONAL work; simply too many crashes, incompatibilities. Tried some 4.x version and still crashed on my Mac, so at some point moved to Logic, which has been working great.

Overall I find the "brand image" of Presonus being that of a hobbyist firm; plasticky, unfinished and barely capable hardware and software, especially for pro work where you don't have time to battle issues. Nothing brings a music inspiration down than having to yet again start disabling VST or AU plugins to find out your plugin failed to comply with S1's poor effect code.

The biggest real life problem with Studio One is that Presonus would need to allocate resources to properly betatesting their software before releasing.

Which they will never do, of course. Rather, this demanding and costly task is handed over to the customers. I've followed thru the whole development cycle from 3.0 and onwards, used both Mac and PC, so I pretty much know this inside and out. Unfortunately so.
Just wanted to say that I fully suppport your statement. I came from Logic, and the difference in performance between those two is night and day. Which is dissapointing as I really enjoy some features such as the chord track. But for now, I'll stick with Logic, aswell.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search