The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus releases Studio One 4.5
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I still regularly use Studio One Version 2. Incredibly stable and a MUCH better GUI. That said, I'm currently running 4.5 as well. When clients are here it's V2 all the way, still. Well, for the times I'm not running PTHD with clients present. Mastering, mostly.

That lack of Project automation has been a request since V2. What a huge hole.
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
It’s true, coming from Pro Tools, I was shocked by how efficient Logic is in comparison. I can open an insane number of plugins in Logic Pro X. I have heard that Reaper is also very efficient, but I have never used it.
I ran the same project with a long serial chain of DSP intensive 3rd party plugins on this latest release of Studio One (4.5). There appears to be no performance improvement at all in the number of 3rd party plugins that can be run or thread distribution across physical and logical cores compared to even version 3.5.X of StudioOne. Like Cubase, Studio One forks about twice as many threads as Logic to playback the same audio file and plugin chain. StudioOne falls far short of what even Cubase can run in this case (which falls short of what Logic can run). I have not tried Reaper yet (or Digital Performer 10, which I've heard does fairly well). There is no longer any demo version of Nuendo and supposedly they share the same core audio engine now.

Companies with a majority of users on Windows may not care to devote the time and resources to write the code to run as efficiently on MacOS. If they can take code that was originally targeted to run on Windows, and then do a minimal amount of changes to get it to run on the Mac, they might leave it at that because they've diverged the code base less (compared to doing a complete re-write for the Mac). But companies don't advertise how many customers use what OS. I would guess optimizing for Windows is the case for Cubase/Nuendo. Maybe no longer using core audio might have something to do with it, i.e., they use ASIO now on the Mac.
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Nut

4.5.1 appears to solve the volume automation problem! Very happy to see Presonus respond so quickly and seriously. Very good news. Hopefully nothing else was broken by fixing this one so quickly, but so far so good!
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
But it's ok , no daw is perfect but the problem is since i gravitate outside sonar , i feel i downgraded , for real .... in fundamentals areas ...i don't care about goodies or features ...
I feel you. I've been going back to Sonar little by little. Bandlab has fixed a lot of the damage that Cakewalk did (I swear that company was trying to scuttle Sonar on purpose). Sonar's doing pretty good at the moment.

There's a small handful of things that S1 does better than Sonar, but I've been gravitating back to Sonar and I forgot how good it was for composition and midi. Studio One seems to be easier when it comes to editing - it kind of reminds me of Pro Tools in that respect but everything else seems to work better in Sonar so I've been using Sonar for writing, tracking, and a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to hardware as Sonar seems to function better for people who use hardware, and moving everything to Studio One in the home stretch for the final editing and mixdown.
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
[...] since cakewalk ditching by gibson , i went with S1 and learnt it , great but for real i don't feel 100 % confident, when real serious work have to be done , i go sonar because i know it's gonna be done right , period !

Must i look for cubase to get S1 fun with sonar solidity ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I feel you. I've been going back to Sonar little by little. Bandlab has fixed a lot of the damage that Cakewalk did (I swear that company was trying to scuttle Sonar on purpose). Sonar's doing pretty good at the moment.

[...] so I've been using Sonar for writing, tracking, and a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to hardware as Sonar seems to function better for people who use hardware [...]

Hi

I use Cakewalk with hardware, and the thing that really bugs me is that you can´t have mono inserts, as the external plugin will "eat" the two inputs of a stereo pair regardless of wich one you select, efectively cutting your interface i/o in half...

I tried Reaper once, and was almost sold on it only on the freeze functions and the ability of the external hw plugin to handle mono ins and outs.

I think S1 got an update recently on its external hw plugin, with the ability to handle mono ins and outs... but haven´t got around to try it... (also always getting back to good ol´cakewalk...)

how would you say Cakewalk compares to S1 (or Reaper if you tried it) regarding these hardware managing issues? and also, in general.. about Cakewalk vs S1 "solidity"... to what are you referering? less crashing? better sound? better cpu managment?

thanks!
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uarte View Post
I agree this might have been the reason why they released 4.5 early... the competition has been on target lately for sure, but as we can see, this was NOT a good decision to release early... if that's indeed what happened. 4.5 should not have been released. The volume automation bug is just way too serious to have missed. Fortunately, Presonus will likely have a fix soon. But still... Not good at all.
Presonus used to offer summer promos in the past which were threatened now by a half-price promo which came unexpectedly even for Cubase owners. The decision to release the update early is not directed to existing users of S1. Presonus gained time and money which is not going to Steinberg with this move.
Not a bad idea before the integration of ARA 2 if you ask me.
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear
If they solved using poly afterouch on MIDI channel 10 for drum crash mutes. I would consider using S1. Have they?
Old 31st May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc23 View Post
Hi

I use Cakewalk with hardware, and the thing that really bugs me is that you can´t have mono inserts, as the external plugin will "eat" the two inputs of a stereo pair regardless of wich one you select, efectively cutting your interface i/o in half...

I tried Reaper once, and was almost sold on it only on the freeze functions and the ability of the external hw plugin to handle mono ins and outs.

I think S1 got an update recently on its external hw plugin, with the ability to handle mono ins and outs... but haven´t got around to try it... (also always getting back to good ol´cakewalk...)

how would you say Cakewalk compares to S1 (or Reaper if you tried it) regarding these hardware managing issues? and also, in general.. about Cakewalk vs S1 "solidity"... to what are you referering? less crashing? better sound? better cpu managment?

thanks!
Sonar is def more optimised and the engine is superior or stress ... it s easier one the eyes , the plugin management is superior with custom layout and the possibilitybto have a plugin in several categories ( yep it s usefull) , track tremplates , screensets ect ...all those small stuff here and there makes the experience feel more solid in a real production scenario .... i m actually using s1 since 2 years for my stuff and for client , still sonar .... that says what i m in for now ... love s1 , but relyîg in sonar until s1 become what i think it could be ...
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
If they solved using poly afterouch on MIDI channel 10 for drum crash mutes. I would consider using S1. Have they?
Unfortunately not yet.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Just discovered the Play Selected Range shortcut. One more very important PT feature. Would be a strong argument to buy a Faderport for me. Whenever it gets integrated as a preference.
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

I bought the pro version for around 150 euro (kvr market place ) , was demoing it for a week with vst's and external ahardware ''rock solid '' experience
Until I started messing around with audio , bend effects etc...constant lock-ups and gui freezes .
What a Letdown
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
I bought the pro version for around 150 euro (kvr market place ) , was demoing it for a week with vst's and external ahardware ''rock solid '' experience
Until I started messing around with audio , bend effects etc...constant lock-ups and gui freezes .
What a Letdown
Have you updated to 4.5.1 ? Freezes gone here with that ...
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you updated to 4.5.1 ? Freezes gone here with that ...
I sure have .
The freeezes happen when editing audio
Maybe it has something to do with the audio cache files being written to an external HD ...not sure

I really like working with single sample events on the time line for rhytmic stuff , the most basic stuff is just crashing studio one ...
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
I sure have .
The freeezes happen when editing audio
Maybe it has something to do with the audio cache files being written to an external HD ...not sure
I had that problem when I used an old 5400 rpm external HDD for audio files. After upgrading to SSD the problem is gone.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

I am always on the fence with S1. I love the experience of using it. i also think it is excellent for arranging - plus the scratch pads are great for creating remixes. Love the version saving and a whole lot more.
recently i gave in and started using reaper, which took a long time to set up. but once i did it is really excellent.
I think the thing with studio one is...you can't do a lot of the super advanced stuff Reaper can do, BUT for just making, arranging, mixing and mastering music....it is pretty damn focused. I think that has always been its strength for me.

Truth be told - i would love to use S1 exclusively, but i am just not sure i can at this point. the bath file converter is very cool and i am looking forward to seeing the new plugin management...but for one thing i have become accustomed to automation items in reaper - and the ease with which you can save multiple tracks/instruments/automation items as whole presets - massive time saver.

So there are some great things in this update....but i am still not sure.
For music creation, arrangement, remixing AND collaborating (with splice integration) it is pretty hard to beat....but i don't know if i can lose those extra features.

Also in regards to CPU consumption- i have noticed no real difference with this version at all. Don't know if that is just me? but honestly i can detect no difference. It is still much more CPU friendly than Ableton or Bitwig - but certainly behind Reaper for sure.

Also one thing i like about reaper is being able to control the mouse behavior relative to context. Makes editing incredible.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Also one thing i like about reaper...
Super-cool!

You ever look up... and ask yerself...

What IS this thread... and... WHY am I here?

Do you own a LARGE automobile?

... and the days go on...
water flowing under...
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Super-cool!

water flowing under...
Yes i get it. And i apologise for going on about Reaper. I was just expressing future wishes for studio one really. Because i think if they brought in things like automation items, and made mouse actions customizable, it could really compete
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
...made mouse actions customizable, it could really compete
water flowing under...
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Super-cool!

water flowing under...
No, it's good to know what Studio One is still missing.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes i get it. And i apologise for going on about Reaper. I was just expressing future wishes for studio one really. Because i think if they brought in things like automation items, and made mouse actions customizable, it could really compete
I actually find this helpful. I like knowing what cool features other daws have.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

I find it useful, too!

Actually, it would be fantastic if David or some other kind soul could share some settings or even config files for REAPER that would make sense to someone coming from S1. Configuring that beast of a preference menu, the shortcut key commands, endless script choices and themes and templates and what not seems to be the greatest challenge for REAPER newbies.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skap View Post
I find it useful, too!

Actually, it would be fantastic if David or some other kind soul could share some settings or even config files for REAPER that would make sense to someone coming from S1. Configuring that beast of a preference menu, the shortcut key commands, endless script choices and themes and templates and what not seems to be the greatest challenge for REAPER newbies.
Had they not designed some, go to templates for newbees, to start from? They should do that, based on the DAW the person is coming from. Set it up as close to Pro Tools as possible, and I would be more tempted to give it a try. Otherwise I would newer find the time - if it's that complicated to set up.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Sorry for the OT!
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skap View Post
I find it useful, too!

You are more than welcome to have my config - but it is highly customised.
I think the think with reaper is you have to think about what you want to achieve, then go about building the system around your needs - otherwise you get lost.

I have not re created an S1 type workflow perfectly. BUT i have my screen sets set up in a similar way to how i do it in S1 - with macros along the top panel to switch between my Drums screenset, Busses etc etc.

I could recommend you some great scripts too - really useful stuff. but maybe it would be best to do that outside of this thread?

I do think it is useful to note where studio one could improve. I feel like when s1v3 came out, it was a huge leap forward for producers, but now i feel there are a couple of areas where it could be greatly improved.
This is why i bring up automation items - these are insanely useful in reaper.
For example i have saved loads of 'sidechain' automation items - some with swing/different timings...i have a whole folder of them that i can just drop onto any automation lane. Of course this works on volume, but also low shelf, FX params etc.

I think studio ones 'musicloop' format is seriously cool and has a lot of potential, but imagine if it could save automation items with it? As it stands, you can save the audio, instrument, fx. but there are two problems -
1. you have to save presets for all instrument and fx for it to recall properly.
2. no automation is saved.

In Reaper you can highlight an unlimited number of tracks (whether they are in any way connected or not is irrelevant) then you can just save them as a preset.
When you recall, all instruments, fx, settings and automation are recalled.
You dont have to save individual presets for fx or insts, literally just one preset for as many things as you want.

So i can take say, the Roland 909 plugin, route it to a bunch of different channels, each eith effects, set up some parallel buss compression, then put it all through a drum buss, draw a ton of automation, midi items....then just save the lot.
Every time i open my 909 preset everything is set up - all automation lanes, the lot.
Sorry to belabor the point, but it is insanely useful.

The reason i want S1 to incorporate these things is because i love it. In terms of user experience, it is a pure joy to use. Again, it would really, really benefit from being able to adjust the mouse modifiers - in reaper you can change how the mouse behaves based on where it is pointing - which means when editing midi you can have a totally different set of commands. Super fast.

But for arranging, remixing, chord track, S1 is flat out brilliant.
Also i think the thing that s1 has going for it is that it is a really holistic package. It has everything you need to make a track from start to end, has the shop integrated, has splice integration, it also deals with instruments in a way that is much smoother than reaper. The new plugin manager is a great step forward.
Organisation on the whole is really good in S1 (in terms of saving your presets, macros etc)
And then there is the mastering capabilities! It really feels like if there were a few more of those advanced features, S1 could be the ultimate all-in-one productions system.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe it wasn't the appropriate thread to talk about these ideas, but i have just been trying out the new version, and those were my thoughts. I really love the new features (the new batch converter is amazing) but it is also important to note - s1 seem to listen to their users, so it is probably a good idea to make these things known.
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict

Great post, David, what you're writing makes a lot of sense. And thanks for offering config files and script tips, very generous of you. I'm interested, I'll send a PM.

S1 has been my main DAW for 7 years now. I really love the things it gets right, especially how easy it is to understand and operate. There are however some shortcomings for my workflow, and I'm not sure I'll ever see a solution for these from PreSonus. REAPER seems to be great for mixing, mastering, sound design and editing, so I'm really curious how well it works for production work and MIDI/VSTi. I might end up doing my editing and mixing work in REAPER and production in S1, in which case it would be great to have somewhat similar shortcuts, modifiers and other behavior.
Old 15th September 2019
Here for the gear

S1 4.5 new install and mulicore performance

Hi, just installed S1 4.5 on new computer. I'm getting very poor performance.
I have tried many options to improve performance, but to no avail.
Can I get some advice how to get it to work.
It looks like S1 is using only one core CPU 1 for vst.
Resource monitor indicates that S1 is using only 18% of the CPU.
No multicore support?

Please see attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
PreSonus releases Studio One 4.5-s1_45_poorperformance.jpg  
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

I don't see any wrong. Turn off the tap on the main out if you want to get it lower.
Old 16th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
I don't see any wrong. Turn off the tap on the main out if you want to get it lower.
Thanks danger
I'm disappointed that S1 utilizes only 20% of the 8-core CPU.
Kontakt 5 VSTi inside S1 is using 19% CPU, as standalone same K5 is using 0.7% CPU. I hope there will be better optimization in the future updates?
Thanks
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nester1212 View Post
Thanks danger
I'm disappointed that S1 utilizes only 20% of the 8-core CPU.
Kontakt 5 VSTi inside S1 is using 19% CPU, as standalone same K5 is using 0.7% CPU. I hope there will be better optimization in the future updates?
Thanks
When you stack fx in the same tracks , S1 as far as i know don t balance them in multiple threads ...unlike sonar witch balance load not per track but per plugin if i recall well ...do the same test and put each of your stuff in different channel and check and report ...

S1 always been the least cpu friendly daw ...i keep it for personnal project ... for client it s sonar and i just bougth cubase to try to go into it ...
yep i hope they focus on optimisation , ut to tell thz truth i come from an age were we had 300 mhz one proc and 10 gb ide drives lol ...i don t even talk about my atari and s950 ...so i do organise myself to make it work like i always did .
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nester1212 View Post
Hi, just installed S1 4.5 on new computer. I'm getting very poor performance.
I have tried many options to improve performance, but to no avail.
Can I get some advice how to get it to work.
It looks like S1 is using only one core CPU 1 for vst.
Resource monitor indicates that S1 is using only 18% of the CPU.
No multicore support?

Please see attached picture.
I have been reporting this for years, I cannot use S1 even on a fast MacPro Cylinder, no doubt you will now get told your imagining it and S1 is the best performing daw in the world!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search