The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio Introduces Submarine Two-Octave Subharmonic Generator
Old 13th May 2019
News Desk Editor

Waves Audio Introduces Submarine Two-Octave Subharmonic Generator

Waves Audio Introduces Submarine Two-Octave Subharmonic Generator-submarine.jpg

Waves Audio Introduces Submarine, a Two-Octave Subharmonic Generator Plugin

KNOXVILLE, TN, May 13, 2019 — Waves Audio, the world’s leading developer of professional audio signal processing technologies and leading maker of audio plugins for mixing, music production, mastering, sound design, broadcast, post-production and live sound, introduces Waves Submarine, a two-octave subharmonic generator plugin.

Sub frequencies are the backbone of modern music production. To really feel the music, you need beats, basslines and entire mixes to hit hard below the subsonic belt. Yet, many producers struggle to craft massive sub bass content that remains crystal-clear on large sound systems, without muddiness, artifacts or excess rumble. Submarine adds bigger, deeper sub bass to your tracks, with unprecedented clarity and low-end accuracy. Powered by Waves’ Organic ReSynthesis technology, Submarine’s two subharmonic generators deliver well-balanced subsonic results on any large sound system.

Submarine’s two sub generators process your source – kicks, bass, even full busy mixdowns – and cleanly add new subharmonic frequencies up to a full TWO octaves below the precise frequency range you’ve selected. The plugin’s innovative Organic ReSynthesis engine strips the original signal down to its core elements – carrier, pitch, formant, and envelope – processes them individually, and then reconstructs the audio to create brand new sub frequencies which retain the exact pitch and time of the original signal. The result is deep subharmonic content that is clean and musical and naturally blends with your source. The plugin’s pinpoint-accurate RANGE slider lets you zero in on the exact frequencies from which you want to generate your sub sounds, anywhere between 20–240 Hz – perfect when you want to add subharmonics to a full mix, or to an old-school drum break sample, but only surgically to the kick, not to the snare or to other instruments.

Use the DRIVE control to saturate the added subs and easily glue them into the rest of the mix. Use the DYNAMICS knob to go from short transient sub sounds, to heavier compression for longer sustained sub notes.

This plugin is a lifesaver when a low-end EQ boost won’t help (because your track lacks low frequencies to begin with), or where psychoacoustic bass enhancers like Waves’ Renaissance Bass plugin won’t be enough (because they work their magic on small speakers, not on big subwoofers). With the Waves Submarine plugin, you can dive as deep as you want, with better clarity throughout the low end.

Submarine features:
  • Subharmonic generation plugin powered by Organic ReSynthesis technology
  • Two subharmonic generators (Sub -1 and Sub -2) add subs ONE and TWO full octaves below the selected frequency range of your source
  • High-precision Frequency Range slider (20–240 Hz) to target precise frequencies
  • Drive saturation control to easily glue the added subs into the mix
  • Dynamics control to go from short sub transients to longer sustained sub notes
  • Selectable Mono/Stereo control
  • Dry/Wet control for parallel mixing
  • Zero latency for real-time mixing; SoundGrid-compatible
  • Presets by GRAMMY®-winning producers & mix engineers

Videos:
Introducing Waves Submarine Plugin: Add Earth-Shaking Subs to Your Tracks: https://youtu.be/pwRH0sFa9XQ
Waves Submarine Plugin Demo & Audio Samples: https://youtu.be/nA9SSXhPFPI
Learn more: https://www.waves.com/submarine
Attached Thumbnails
Waves Audio Introduces Submarine Two-Octave Subharmonic Generator-submarine.jpg  
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Nut

Does anyone know what the difference is compared to Loair, beyond the GUI?
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict

If you add this to a Moog bass your speakers will explode just like in the movie back to the future, right?
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyr View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I have Renaissance Bass and LoAir. I'm looking at this and from what I gather it kinda combines those two in that it primarily functions like LoAir but it has the saturation thru the Drive portion like Renaissance; so u get more control and functionality.

Bump to whoever posted this for confirmation tho.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Organic Resynthesis Technology....ah doi
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonDonsen View Post
If you add this to a Moog bass your speakers will explode just like in the movie back to the future, right?
Of course!

Honestly tho, I don't have a sub generator and this one doesn't look bad for $29.00.
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Organic Resynthesis Technology....ah doi
You forgot the presets by Grammy winners or nominees.

No but seriously the wet/dry is very useful even tho it could otherwise be achieved. It combines RenBass/LoAir with wet/dry and it's organic not grass fed no hormone/antibiotic but it's an improvement I guess ...

I think I'll buy it and maybe sell my RenBass&LoAir for $29.
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Of course!

Honestly tho, I don't have a sub generator and this one doesn't look bad for $29.00.
Yes for the price and added features it's great. The bx_subsynth is really good also.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
LoAir only adds a subharmonic 1 octave below the fundamental whereas Submarine adds subharmonics 1 and 2 octaves below the fundamental so in effect goes deeper and thicker. The Submarine GUI is so logical and easy to understand as well. Also Submarine has the additional features: mono or stereo sub option, dry / wet mix, add distortion to subs, shape dynamics of the subs.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow View Post
Yes for the price and added features it's great. The bx_subsynth is really good also.
I never quite liked Subsynth and always found it inconsistent. It could be me and my knowledge of the plugin. Submarine looks a lot easier but I wonder if the results will be any better.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
I never quite liked Subsynth and always found it inconsistent. It could be me and my knowledge of the plugin. Submarine looks a lot easier but I wonder if the results will be any better.
You might be right, I've got it n never used it yet just sits in my plugin folder. I got it for cheap either in a bundle or something and liked the feature set plus I'm generally a fan of Plugin Alliance stuff but I did use LoAir and RenBass years ago both useful. Now I use Little Labs VOG-500 my Peavey Kosmos and some of my hardware EQs to achieve what these do. I'll still get Submarine cuz heck it's $29 and software can generally do things faster that are harder to/much pricier/complex to in the analog realm just so I always have the best possible option.
Old 14th May 2019
There's a useful, official response from the Waves YouTube account in one of those videos above:

"For those who asked how is Waves Submarine different than LoAir, RBass, and MaxxBass:

Submarine is powered by Waves’ Organic ReSynthesis engine, which lets you radically manipulate a sound while maintaining the pitch, timing, and clarity of transients.

In a nutshell, Organic ReSynthesis strips the source to its core elements (carrier, pitch, formant, and envelope) processes them individually, and then reconstructs them to prevent unwanted artifacts and yield natural results.

MaxxBass and RBass are fantastic solutions for helping the bass in your productions become more audible on small speakers and earbuds. But these solutions don’t add sub-harmonics to your signal. Instead, they use a unique algorithm, that is based on psychoacoustics, to fool your brain into hearing more bass you're using a listening device that can’t reproduce low bass frequencies.

Waves Submarine is a different solution. It adds true sub-harmonics up to -2 octaves below the source to add impact on large speaker systems that include subwoofers. So think night clubs, live music venues, and movie theaters).

LoAir is geared towards post-production. It is used for enhancing and enriching LFE content of 5.1 sources, or for creating LFE content from mono, stereo, and 5.0 sources. LoAir generates subharmonics up to -1 octave below the source.

Waves Submarine is a precision tool that is geared toward a variety of use cases - be it music production, mixing, live sound, post-production, sound design, and even mastering.

Submarine’s Organic ReSynthesis technology makes it the ideal subs shaper, as it lets you add powerful sub-harmonics while preserving the pitch, timing, and clarity of transients. Additionally, Submarine offers a frequency range selector, that allows you to surgically add subharmonics only to a specific part of your source. For example, you can add subs to a busy drum loop. Lastly, Submarine generates subs not only –1 octave, but up to -2 octaves below the source, letting you shape your subs with more impact than ever before.

Whether you’re a producer, mixer, sound designer, or a DJ, Submarine gives you all the controls you need to precisely shape deep, flawless subs."
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Yeah I'm in this thread cuz I got the email from Audiodeluxe. I think I'm at a point where I really don't need any more plugins unless it's a marked improvement over something I regularly use. These days not really using plug comps, eqs or saturation more just verbs, delays and special effects.

I think I'll give the bx_subsynth a spin before I look to buy anything else. The reviews are still good, I own and it actually looks like Submarine might've been created as a response to bx_subsynth(bx even still has more features); which is better ... I'll found out ... eventually ...
Old 14th May 2019
Deleted ea69e11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
same, got it for cheap, i try to use it, but it never quite does what i want and gets kinda messy and boomy. im sure i dont know how to use it correctly
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict

This looks like a nice utility plug to me. Not something I’d use frequently but would be handy if the track was lacking in that respect.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Head

I picked up Melda’s MBassador recently on sale. I wonder how they compare?
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ea69e11 View Post
same, got it for cheap, i try to use it, but it never quite does what i want and gets kinda messy and boomy. im sure i dont know how to use it correctly
This may be the main challenge.
I think bx subsynth and subfilter are both OK.
Subsynth adds sub frequencies, subfilter enhances those.
In addition I own the Waves LoAir and RennBass, both are rather useless.
Sonic sweet BBE -series can be in some cases effective, but the core challenge, once again, is how to add impressive low end to your signal (mix), without making the bass frequencies too dominant.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Nut

Anyone noticed a delay of the sub bass signal in the video? It makes the bass a bit muddy and undefined. Perhaps this is due to how they dialed in the compressor in this particular example

Btw, I did some tests with bass enhancers a while ago I f someone is interested. Not very scientific but the purpose was to compare different approaches.

https://groovetools.blogspot.com/2018/12/bass-enhancement-plugins.html
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Looks like another great; useful tool from Waves.

Way to go.

Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

It should be yellow. Missed op here.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apparently it’s using their new non-Fourier Transform based technology in this plugin. The same tech we’ve seeing in Torque and Sibilance, possibly Smack Attack.

I’m not too sure what all that means but I believe it sounds much more natural and transparent. It should sound “less obvious” it’s being synthesised.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6x View Post
Absolute winner Waves! Well done mates This will replace UAD VOG and Subsynth.
Keep these utility type plugins coming, that is where you are at the top of your game...not emulations
Replace VOG? You sure?
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakell View Post
Replace VOG? You sure?
VOG is just an EQ filter is it not? No harmonics or saturation, just a curve.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quick question about these types of generators in the mix. If you generate sub freq from percussion, like a bass drum do you need to tune that sub for it to be in key with the rest of your track?
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I dont know.... Since the advent of cutting edge emulators [just point your finger and you'll find one, two... Or ten] I find synthetic sub generators to be..well, kinda meh.

One can generate ORGANIC sub content with "natural" tools [be it eq's, comps, saturators, tape emu's or whatnot] and get, well, natural results [providing you drive them carefully ie. carefully structure gain staging]
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Quick question about these types of generators in the mix. If you generate sub freq from percussion, like a bass drum do you need to tune that sub for it to be in key with the rest of your track?
Octaves should allways be in tune.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoloco View Post
Octaves should allways be in tune.
Right, but if you dig a tone out of a bass drum how do you know what note it will be?
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone noticed a delay of the sub bass signal in the video? It makes the bass a bit muddy and undefined.
Yes, I did, too. I thought the bass, especially, sounded bad with Submarine on... due to the sub seemed way too slow to the original signal.

I've always preferred Voxengo's LF Max Punch over any other sub/low end enhancement plug. To me, it has more control over the parameters and sounds better over a wide range of material. It's actually the only Voxengo plugin I use... and have for years.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This looks like a nice utility plug to me. Not something I’d use frequently but would be handy if the track was lacking in that respect.
More control is always nice. If this can offer me that for subs than I'll probably check it out.

Nowadays, even when something already sounds nice, in this business nice doesn't always cut it when you're constantly competing against yourself to increasingly do even better work, while also competing against everything else out there.

That's why we tune vocals so tight despite the fact that they may already be decently in-tune. Why we replace or layer on top of recorded drum kits, so we can have the very last say in how things sound overall.

Tools that offer us deeper levels of creative control, and do it in a very easy to use package are always a welcome addition to most toolboxes.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search