The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio Introduces Submarine Two-Octave Subharmonic Generator
Old 8th October 2019
  #91
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I have both LoAir and Submarine. I find that when one doesn't work exactly how I want it to for adding sub-lows, the other tends to fit the bill. At first I thought Submarine would end up replacing my use of LoAir, but they actually compliment each other.
What is the actual difference Lo Air and SubM? Aren't they just subsonic sine oscillators.
Old 8th October 2019
  #92
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow View Post
I generally agree with most what u said but around the timeframe u mentioned they also started making better GUIs too ... cuz we all know the early Waves stuff looked horrendous and uninspiring. Say what u will GUIs sell plugs ask Fabfilter(no knock on them but this launched their brand IMO then they could spend more on R&D thereafter) not saying the features don't matter but there's always a balance between form and functionality. In their early days I'd never buy McDSP stuff way too green n cheesy looking IMO probably excellent in performance but the aesthetic didn't appeal to me they've since improved GUIs vastly.

I won't drive an average looking or ugly car; do men need gorgeous wives? No ... but we all want the best looking we can get LOL ... bad analogies I know but truth.

Most of Waves unique problem solver stuff is definitely of their earlier era but there are some rare gems along the way. Their appeal in todays market is they're so big they can sell everything way lower compared to others and they have tons of plugs. They had a huge head start in the early dawn of DAWs but today in the plugin world competition is very steep for them to still be this big is quite a testament to great management of their brand. I'd venture to say they're the only brand every musician today has at least one plugin from and more likely a lot more than one on average. That's a huge market share even more than Avid's Pro Tools now.
Amen brother, I hear ya
Old 8th October 2019
  #93
Lives for gear
 
screentan's Avatar
 

[QUOTE=Deep6x;14250919... Also WUP is really not even an issue, it’s a fabricated problem that doesn’t exist in real life. You never have to use WUP...[/QUOTE]
You can avoid WUP but when you eventually upgrade your DAW software or OS then your Waves plugins will no longer be supported. This does not mean you simply cannot update them it means you cannot run them on your upgraded software until you WUP. Well that was my experience.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #94
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
What is the actual difference Lo Air and SubM? Aren't they just subsonic sine oscillators.
I haven't read a manual for either plug-in, but Submarine seems to be focused on generating subs lows where there might not be any, and LoAir seems to be focused on reinforcing existing sub-lows, allowing you to create more low-end energy that can really push a speaker capable of reproducing frequencies that can not only be heard but also felt, hence the name "LoAir" (Air usually being associated with describing high frequencies that are more felt than heard).

If something is very "bass shy", Submarine might be the best fit to help fill out the low frequency range. If something just seems kind of "bass light", and you desire more depth and impact, LoAir might be the more appropriate choice.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #95
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
You can avoid WUP but when you eventually upgrade your DAW software or OS then your Waves plugins will no longer be supported. This does not mean you simply cannot update them it means you cannot run them on your upgraded software until you WUP. Well that was my experience.
For the most part, they will continue to work, unlike the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit where people HAD to update all their plug-ins as 32 bit support was being phased out.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #96
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I haven't read a manual for either plug-in, but Submarine seems to be focused on generating subs lows where there might not be any, and LoAir seems to be focused on reinforcing existing sub-lows, allowing you to create more low-end energy that can really push a speaker capable of reproducing frequencies that can not only be heard but also felt, hence the name "LoAir" (Air usually being associated with describing high frequencies that are more felt than heard).

If something is very "bass shy", Submarine might be the best fit to help fill out the low frequency range. If something just seems kind of "bass light", and you desire more depth and impact, LoAir might be the more appropriate choice.
LoAir uses material all ready there and detunes it an octave and Submarine creates it own sound 1 and 2 octaves below as desired. (I think). Best to play around with them to get sound you want as each mix differs and I think it would be pointless in solo for something like this. The controls are quite intuitive in Submarine I find.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #97
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I was actually talking about bx_subsynth. I have LoAir and Submarine already, but I keep hearing a lot of good things from people about subsynth. So the next time PA has a sale on that plug-in I'll probably check it out and compare it to the Waves stuff that I use.
PA sale on now - "Rocktober". Including bx_subsynth for $39.99. Just thought I'd give you the heads up even if this isn't strictly the correct thread.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #98
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
PA sale on now - "Rocktober". Including bx_subsynth for $39.99. Just thought I'd give you the heads up even if this isn't strictly the correct thread.
Thanks. I'm not even sure what I want to do about that sale right now lol. There is the ADA Flanger, sub synth, that new amp plug-in that got released not too long ago, but my voucher will only stretch so far, and there are a whole bunch of other sales going on elsewhere that have me interested in buying stuff too.

Once upon a time the problem was not enough great sales happening outside of Black Friday. Now we have a sales overload going on.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #99
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Thanks. I'm not even sure what I want to do about that sale right now lol. There is the ADA Flanger, sub synth, that new amp plug-in that got released not too long ago, but my voucher will only stretch so far, and there are a whole bunch of other sales going on elsewhere that have me interested in buying stuff too.

Once upon a time the problem was not enough great sales happening outside of Black Friday. Now we have a sales overload going on.
Yeah, I find myself passing on a lot of sales I very nearly jump on as even sales start mounting up if not careful and I can find myself duplicating things I basically have or getting things I wouldn't normally just because the price looked good. I have my eye on a couple of really vital plugins I want and if they go on sale I will definitely get them. As for the rest, it will depend on how strong willed I am lol.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #100
Gear Maniac
It's tough, too many simultaneous sales. I missed out on Pro Tools Ultimate upgrade for $999 that was $900 off but I was like $500 short on card room SMH LOL.

I've done pretty well this summer overall Eastwest Spaces II, Eastwest Hollywood Strings Diamond and a bunch off smaller plugs. Just picked up IK Miroslav Philharmonik 2 for $99 wish that sale came before the Hollywood Strings did but at that price I can't complain just filling in some dedicated VI gaps was really lacking in Orchestral stuff ...

I've got a Black Friday priority shortlist; just some individual D16, Soundtoys, & Fabfilter stuff. From here on out I'm not being swayed by random stuff anymore; left room on my Pro Audio retail cards so I'll be ready ...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #101
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow View Post
It's tough, too many simultaneous sales. I missed out on Pro Tools Ultimate upgrade for $999 that was $900 off but I was like $500 short on card room SMH LOL.

I've done pretty well this summer overall Eastwest Spaces II, Eastwest Hollywood Strings Diamond and a bunch off smaller plugs. Just picked up IK Miroslav Philharmonik 2 for $99 wish that sale came before the Hollywood Strings did but at that price I can't complain just filling in some dedicated VI gaps was really lacking in Orchestral stuff ...

I've got a Black Friday priority shortlist; just some individual D16, Soundtoys, & Fabfilter stuff. From here on out I'm not being swayed by random stuff anymore; left room on my Pro Audio retail cards so I'll be ready ...
I'm trying to keep my Black Friday list very short this year... we'll see if it actually happens .

At $99, the Philharmonik 2 is definitely worth it to help fill out your orchestral library some more. I find HS and MP2 content different enough from each other that both are good to have and cover a lot of bases strings wise.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #102
I like how submarine works

I have bx subsynth, lowender and loair, but sonehow submarine works much cooler rn on live bass
Old 3 weeks ago
  #103
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I'm trying to keep my Black Friday list very short this year... we'll see if it actually happens .

At $99, the Philharmonik 2 is definitely worth it to help fill out your orchestral library some more. I find HS and MP2 content different enough from each other that both are good to have and cover a lot of bases strings wise.
I believe they are too Philharmonik is decent enough for my needs but I know Hollywood Strings(haven't dug in to the HS yet) is a more nuanced dedicated library. Now because I got such high quality with HS I started filling other holes in the MP2 sound set ... I picked up Vir2 Orchestral Percussion an old but large library with Hi-Res samples now rather cheap considering. It never ends SMH.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #104
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
I like how submarine works

I have bx subsynth, lowender and loair, but sonehow submarine works much cooler rn on live bass
Really it all comes down to how they fit into your workflow. Sometimes some plugs can do too much or have bad presets leaving you feeling overwhelmed with too much programming to get the sound u want.

An example of too deep for me was Eventide H-3000 Factory ... I feel more comfy with Eventide's UltraChannel for most of what I do.

LoAir n RenBass worked great for me years ago ... seems like Submarine combines the best of both those.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow View Post
Really it all comes down to how they fit into your workflow. Sometimes some plugs can do too much or have bad presets leaving you feeling overwhelmed with too much programming to get the sound u want.

An example of too deep for me was Eventide H-3000 Factory ... I feel more comfy with Eventide's UltraChannel for most of what I do.

LoAir n RenBass worked great for me years ago ... seems like Submarine combines the best of both those.
They all have different algorithms, and some works better in sone situations

But for go-to clean sub octave below stuff Submarine is great

But when I need complex gooshy low end I reach for bx_subsynth

Of I need definitions in the upper bass region I would use MaxxBass or something like that
Old 3 weeks ago
  #106
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I was actually talking about bx_subsynth. I have LoAir and Submarine already, but I keep hearing a lot of good things from people about subsynth. So the next time PA has a sale on that plug-in I'll probably check it out and compare it to the Waves stuff that I use.
Ah!! That makes sense.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #107
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow View Post
I believe they are too Philharmonik is decent enough for my needs but I know Hollywood Strings(haven't dug in to the HS yet) is a more nuanced dedicated library. Now because I got such high quality with HS I started filling other holes in the MP2 sound set ... I picked up Vir2 Orchestral Percussion an old but large library with Hi-Res samples now rather cheap considering. It never ends SMH.
I got Philharmonic CE as part of SampleTank Max. I haven't use it yet, but I have been eying off the Philharmonic 2 sale as a companion for EW Hollywood Orchestra... but I really should use it before investing in it. Despite the fact they may have a V3 around the corner.

Then there was the others Tain of thought that I have T-Racks Deluxe plus extras, SampleTank Max, Syntronik and now Philharmonic CE, I might actually hold off for a good Total Studio upgrade... at a time hen I have money to spare.

Going by their other plugins, I'd love to see Waves take on an orchestra, or at least a good pop/motown funk horn & string section. I think there is room in the market for that.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #108
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
I got Philharmonic CE as part of SampleTank Max. I haven't use it yet, but I have been eying off the Philharmonic 2 sale as a companion for EW Hollywood Orchestra... but I really should use it before investing in it. Despite the fact they may have a V3 around the corner.

Then there was the others Tain of thought that I have T-Racks Deluxe plus extras, SampleTank Max, Syntronik and now Philharmonic CE, I might actually hold off for a good Total Studio upgrade... at a time hen I have money to spare.

Going by their other plugins, I'd love to see Waves take on an orchestra, or at least a good pop/motown funk horn & string section. I think there is room in the market for that.
In your case, you have a full Orchestral library with EW Hollywood so Philharmonik 2 might not fill the void it did for me. I've got the Steinberg Absolute/Halion as my main sampler/bread n butter library; really it's a composing tool(MIDI export launchpad) as I've got better dedicated VI's but it has it's moments.

Total Studio upgrade makes more sense in your situation; I would look into the upgrade path sale ... pretty sure one's coming up they're quite frequent with IK. I get impulsive alot with these sales it's hard I know but I try to only jump on stuff I didn't plan on Software wise when I have card room ... who I'm I kidding ... LOL
Old 3 weeks ago
  #109
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow View Post
Really it all comes down to how they fit into your workflow. Sometimes some plugs can do too much or have bad presets leaving you feeling overwhelmed with too much programming to get the sound u want.

An example of too deep for me was Eventide H-3000 Factory ... I feel more comfy with Eventide's UltraChannel for most of what I do.

LoAir n RenBass worked great for me years ago ... seems like Submarine combines the best of both those.
H-3000 is all about the presets and tweaking them lol. Eventide are great for presets.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #110
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
H-3000 is all about the presets and tweaking them lol. Eventide are great for presets.
I know but sometimes too many options isn't always ideal to my workflow. U gotta do some menu diving/tweaking to get results with H-3000 Factory(a small fraction of the H-3000) and then chaining effects albeit it's great it's all possible in one plug if u want to dig deep.

I just like the way UltraChannel is laid out is really a best of Eventide strip with everything visible simultaneously on the same display. I don't have issues with other stuff like Quadravox, Octovox, Mangled Verb, Band Delays etc. they're somewhat specific so u find a starting and tweak a little to taste.

IMO H-3000 Factory and Exponential Excalibur(got that too don't really use) are for sound design, post production or really experimental stuff(doesn't have to be but they encourage exploration). Using other Eventide plugs I can generally accomplish the sound I'm going for without chaining 4 effects together in one plug but that's just me. I don't care for H3F GUI either, I know what they're going for but the other Anthology plugs look less cluttered.

Now if I didn't have Anthology X(+ other simplified choices) and wanted 1 do it all(not quite all) then sure maybe I'd flock to H-3000 Factory more.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #111
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
I got Philharmonic CE as part of SampleTank Max. I haven't use it yet, but I have been eying off the Philharmonic 2 sale as a companion for EW Hollywood Orchestra... but I really should use it before investing in it. Despite the fact they may have a V3 around the corner.

Then there was the others Tain of thought that I have T-Racks Deluxe plus extras, SampleTank Max, Syntronik and now Philharmonic CE, I might actually hold off for a good Total Studio upgrade... at a time hen I have money to spare.

Going by their other plugins, I'd love to see Waves take on an orchestra, or at least a good pop/motown funk horn & string section. I think there is room in the market for that.
I got an email this morning from Sweetwater about big sales going on ran thru software options and whaddya know IK Total Studio is on sale. I picked up McDSP 6030 Ultimate Compressors for $29 ... I mean it's 10 compressors so that's $2.90 a pop ...

I'm being silly, but yeah I had no plans on buying compressor plugs anymore but thought to myself I dont have a Neve 33609 style comp(got the Lindell 354e but it's multiband) so I said f%#k it.
Old 1 week ago
  #112
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow View Post
I got an email this morning from Sweetwater about big sales going on ran thru software options and whaddya know IK Total Studio is on sale. I picked up McDSP 6030 Ultimate Compressors for $29 ... I mean it's 10 compressors so that's $2.90 a pop ...

I'm being silly, but yeah I had no plans on buying compressor plugs anymore but thought to myself I dont have a Neve 33609 style comp(got the Lindell 354e but it's multiband) so I said f%#k it.
Both are great compressors. I keep forgetting I have the 354 though. I'll haver to crack it out again.

My problem is cash flow at the moment. I have kids and Christmas is getting awfully close. Though I might endeavour to pick something up on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

I really need a new chair, though. It's a boring purchase, but a necessary one as my last one busted on me. I've been using my keyboard stool for the last few months!!
Old 1 week ago
  #113
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow View Post
In your case, you have a full Orchestral library with EW Hollywood so Philharmonik 2 might not fill the void it did for me. I've got the Steinberg Absolute/Halion as my main sampler/bread n butter library; really it's a composing tool(MIDI export launchpad) as I've got better dedicated VI's but it has it's moments.

Total Studio upgrade makes more sense in your situation; I would look into the upgrade path sale ... pretty sure one's coming up they're quite frequent with IK. I get impulsive alot with these sales it's hard I know but I try to only jump on stuff I didn't plan on Software wise when I have card room ... who I'm I kidding ... LOL
No, it might not fill the void, but it might give me something I can "layer" with for a bigger sound. Although, I's really like to wait to see what they'd do with it next. That may be soon, given how long it's been.

If you think about it, after sampling for the latest SampleTank it might have been cheaper to move on to Philharmonic then. In theory. So there could very well be one coming out sometime next year. With any luck.
Old 1 week ago
  #114
Lives for gear
 

Oh speaking of Submarine, we weren't, but anyway...

If no-one is aware Waves has released a reskinned Rennaisance bundle as well as V11, way earlier than I was anticipating.
Old 1 week ago
  #115
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
I really need a new chair, though. It's a boring purchase, but a necessary one as my last one busted on me. I've been using my keyboard stool for the last few months!!
You can't enjoy anything if you aren't comfortable for long periods of time. The "boring purchases" are usually also the wisest ones and most useful in the long run.
Old 1 week ago
  #116
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
You can't enjoy anything if you aren't comfortable for long periods of time. The "boring purchases" are usually also the wisest ones and most useful in the long run.
They are ... but man earlier this year I spent $4K in acoustic panels, f$ckin panels!!! I feel I need some diffusion too so probably $1200 more before I'm fully satisfied. I master music so I need a great listening environment I'm not gonna complain except the delivery was excessive($600), all I'll say is I should've gone GIK.

I didn't at the time cuz I thought they were direct sales only and was shy on credit card room so I started another pro audio finance account then I saw Zen Pro got GIK(and wanted to smack myself). I've always wanted to buy from Warren too talked to him a couple times on the phone, great guy plus he genuinely doesn't pedal stuff on GS just useful insight, Clipilator helped me choose Drum/Bus Comps too. 2020 I got u Warren ...
Old 1 week ago
  #117
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Both are great compressors. I keep forgetting I have the 354 though. I'll haver to crack it out again.

My problem is cash flow at the moment. I have kids and Christmas is getting awfully close. Though I might endeavour to pick something up on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

I really need a new chair, though. It's a boring purchase, but a necessary one as my last one busted on me. I've been using my keyboard stool for the last few months!!
Hey u must've been going HARRRD on your productions LOL. I don't have a proper studio chair I got one of those CEO desk chairs to feel like a "BOSS" and it's not appropriate the lumbar support is off ... it was big, looked nice n fit my color scheme. Those proper ergonomic chairs are expensive and not sexy though ... but I see the need now.
Old 1 week ago
  #118
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
No, it might not fill the void, but it might give me something I can "layer" with for a bigger sound. Although, I's really like to wait to see what they'd do with it next. That may be soon, given how long it's been.

If you think about it, after sampling for the latest SampleTank it might have been cheaper to move on to Philharmonic then. In theory. So there could very well be one coming out sometime next year. With any luck.
Check out Sonivox Film Score Companion. I didn't realize it was a full suite of Orchestral stuff ran thru it the other day and it's very useable definitely layerable with good quality for cheap. It's $40 on Plugin Boutique I don't even remember what I bought it for with Sonivox it could've even been cheaper. I'm gonna delve deep into my Sonivox stuff now I've got the everything bundle sure to like something in there.

The Lindell 354e tone is great(really nails it), I got it on sale. It's just rare I need that tone and multiband compression at the same time so I wish I had the 254e. I'm done chasing PA sales ... no vouchers = no pay for me now.

I bought Accusonus ERA Voice Leveler for $9 from Plugin Boutique yesterday just to get the free Nectar Elements(always wanted the full plug) deal. Registered Nectar Elements, whaddya know the upgrade is $199($249 full retail price) ... BASTARDS!!! Gotta sneak in thru a sale I see ...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump