The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'
Old 9th May 2019
News Desk Editor

MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-unnamed.jpg

Plugivery and MIA Laboratories are proud to announce the release of the 'MIA Compressor One' plug-in; available exclusively at the MIA Labs website until May 31st, and available Q2, 2019 to pro audio resellers and music stores worldwide via Plugivery Distribution services.

Designed to act like those favorite and the much esteemed analog compressors of past decades, and heralded in recording studios around the world, MIA Compressor One employs the distinctive sound of MIA Laboratories.

Compressor One is easy and simple to use, yet flexible enough to help you achieve desired results quickly, and speed up your workflow for all your mixing and mastering tasks.

Features :
Stereo Link Operation
In “Stereo Link” mode, the same amount of compression is applied to both L/R channels, based on the sum of the two. With Stereo Link disabled, compression takes place independently for each channel, whilst retaining common controls for both.

External Sidechain
Use any other channel of your mix as an input to the side-chain of MIA Compressor One.

Sidechain filtering
Use the High Pass and Low Pass filters to restrict the side-chain information to the desired frequency range.

Band Compression
Define a certain frequency range to be compressed, while the rest of the signal remains unaffected.

Analog Simulation
Five carefully designed simulation algorithms, CLASS A, OPTO, FET and TUBE I & II to simulate the sound of the above legendary types.

Input, Output, Gain Reduction Meters
Visualize the compression process with the assistance of the input, output and gain reduction displays in either Peak or RMS mode.

34 MIA Presets
34 carefully designed MIA Presets, to achieve quick and balanced results, or to act as a perfect kick start towards your desired outcome.

Pricing and Availability :

MIA Compressor One is currently available exclusively during the introductory promo from the MIA Lab's wesbite, and will soon be available at all pro audio resellers and music stores worldwide through Plugivery Distribution: https://mialaboratories.com/product/mia-compressor-one/

MSRP : 119.00 EUR (excl. VAT)
Introductory Price (until May 31st, 2019) : 49.00 EUR (excl. VAT)
Attached Thumbnails
MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-unnamed.jpg  
Old 9th May 2019
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

I demoed it today. It was nice but nothing unique that I didn't already have with so many other choices. The models sounded nice as variations so that's a plus. I didn't feel compelled to get it compared to what I already have. But it's certainly a good sounding and versatile unit.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

I've been waiting for this to show up on here. I'm very anxious to give this a try and definitely will be later in today. I am hoping I don't have the above mentioned experience with it because I have been looking for something like this for a while. An interface that doesn't attempt to emulate analog gear but has multiple analog modes and flexible sidechain filters. The split band is certainly a great addition as well. Hoping it's relatively CPU friendly though.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

I just bought it having faith based on the other MIA Laboratories stuff which is quite amazing (also because of the affordable intro price).
I'll start to experiment right now and I will report back in the next few days.
Old 9th May 2019
Deleted e71ab78
This ticks all boxes except I'm not immediately grabbed by the sound. The models sound very drastic, perhaps useful for single instruments, I will test it and see how it goes.

Last edited by Deleted e71ab78; 10th May 2019 at 01:22 AM..
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I demoed it today. It was nice but nothing unique that I didn't already have with so many other choices. The models sounded nice as variations so that's a plus. I didn't feel compelled to get it compared to what I already have. But it's certainly a good sounding and versatile unit.
Please tell me what you already have that sounds as good as this (with the simulation set to "off" on this). Perhaps I can save myself some money.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
Please tell me what you already have that sounds as good as this (with the simulation set to "off" on this). Perhaps I can save myself some money.
Here are my main choices in order of my most used, sources notwithstanding:

Voxengo Marquis Compressor [3 Comps]
Audified Telefunken U73b
DMG Essence [Weiss DS-1]
ProAudio DSP Dynamic Spectrum Mapper
Voxengo Crunchessor
Klanghelm DC8C3
Klanghelm MJUC [Fairchild / 176 / Manley VariMu]
TDR Kotelnikov GE
SLNote Disto S / v2 / R [EL8 Distressor +]
Waves API 2500

I specifically compared the MIA to the Marquis, Crunchessor, Dynamic Spectrum Mapper and the differences were not compelling enough for me to want to add it to the team. In fact, I always preferred my stuff over the MIA. The Voxengo Marquis is an exceptional and very flexible compressor with several flavors and lots of very useful options. Cruchessor is as well.

Last edited by Macaroni; 9th May 2019 at 07:36 PM..
Old 9th May 2019
Gee
Lives for gear

I just gave it a quick spin and turned it off as well. My favourite mode (from limited use) was the default off.

it also goes from 0 to 100 pretty fast.

I'll spend more time with it tomorrow and see if it changes my mind
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

My initial impression is also not great. As others have said the off mode is the best. The others seem more like exaggerations of analog characteristics rather than realistic emulations. Especially opto and tube 2 modes. Opto makes everything sound shrill and tube 2 add a ridiculous amount of harmonics. This definitely needs an input volume control. I need to test this more but I am very skeptical so far.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

To be clear... I love the feature set and the interface. The interface needs to be resizable in my opinion though it is too big. On paper this is exactly what I want/need but as soon as you start going through the modes things become complicated.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
I've been waiting for this to show up on here. I'm very anxious to give this a try and definitely will be later in today. I am hoping I don't have the above mentioned experience with it because I have been looking for something like this for a while. An interface that doesn't attempt to emulate analog gear but has multiple analog modes and flexible sidechain filters. The split band is certainly a great addition as well. Hoping it's relatively CPU friendly though.
Give DMG TrackComp a try. Opto, FET, Tube etc...
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Totally agree with this. Track comp is easily one of the most underrated comps out there - or perhaps under utilized (as the people that have it tend to love it)
It is unbelievably versatile and sounds incredible.
DMG stuff on the whole is pretty much the best out there in my opinion.

But anyway back to MIA - only found them a couple of weeks ago and have been really loving the EQs. Quite bizzare but i have found them very useful in the mixing process (it would be nice to have one single plugin to open up all the smaller ones as 'modules' in)

As for this - just stumbled across it on their site and downloaded it. Will test properly now against a bunch of stuff, but i really liked the super low ratio mode.
Agree about the input level control.
All in all it has a really nice feature set...one thing i would add is stereo linkage control, Knee control would be nice and it is also always nice ot have RMS window (but then i supposei am re designing the compressor at that point)

Havent checked the 'models' but i see there is no oversmapling - so anything that adds harmonics probably won't get used much around here.
Interested to see how everyone gets on with this.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

1. Put the compressor as first insert. Keep simulation 'off' initially.
2. Adjust your compression settings to taste. Be ambitious.
3. Now start playing with the simulation colors on your source.

Tube I really improved a vocal here. I can see Opto working for dull vocals and Tube II for overly bright stuff. Class A for punch. And so on.

I think this compressor is fantastic. Superlow CPU, zero latency, clear sound, really responsive. It tames anything. First impressions though.

The simulations cause anticipations (Fet should sound as a 1176, but it sounds really midrangey, no bottom, no top! Opto should be an LA2A, but why is it so bright? etc), but if you view them as colors (not compression behaviours) that you add to your source early on (before any eq-ing) this compressor starts to make sense.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

I just mixed a song using only this compressor.
Old 9th May 2019
Here for the gear

Musically InLove

A compressor plugin that does what is supposed to do. And they are not many of this kind in the market...I bought it 5 minutes after I downloaded the trial. I am a Pi and Fi user but this amazing. I tried it in a Drum Group and its f. magic.
Thank you guys for this product.
For those about to rock, We salute U.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

After trying this for a bit i have to disagree with others a little bit - i think this compressor is pretty damn good.
First off, the range of attack and release times and the way they are tuned is really ice. I feel like i can get a great level of detail on my att and rel times.
2 - as stated above, start with simulations off and view them as colours.

The frequency targeting is really nice. Great feature.
RMS mode sounds great - not too bumpy as i find some of them can be for taming single instruments. I just wish it had knee control and stereo linkage control, then i could do anything with it!!

Maybe they could do a mixbuss/mastering version with knee and dual release!!

one thing i like is - i can CONTROL THE DYNAMIC RANGE. Seems obvious, but so many comps fail when it comes to grabbing down initial transients - this is why the recent vertigo comp was such a success - it dealt with this problem brilliantly. From my (limited) testing, this can also really clamp down when needed, with great accuracy.

Still need ot try more, but seems good so far
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I do own track comp and love it. Unfortunately it has one big deal breaker for me and that is the wide range of CPU usage between some of the modes. On my system the DMG mode always registers as using zero CPU but then as I move up the list it gets higher and higher until it's closer to 12% in 1176 and la2a modes. I absolutely love the models and the plugin and use it every mix but I usually stick with DMG mode. When I mix a session with high track counts I have to be conscious of CPU usage and 5% or less is about what I am looking for in a compressor with multiple analog modeled modes. The only thing I have found that is close is the hornet multicompplus mk2 but there is just something about it i don't like. I think it's because some of the controls only function in certain modes and I would rstherbhave something like TrackComp where they extrapolate controls rather than stick with the hardware limitations. Just like in the compressor one.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

Just to be clear... I'm not saying I don't like this plugin just that my first impressions aren't great. I am still testing and trying to get a better feel for this. Honestly the only things I don't like as of right now are opto mode and tube 2. they are too dramatic. The interface size isn't a deal breaker but is a little big for me. I may still buy it I'm not sure but I will know by the end of the day tomorrow. The feature set here is amazing but in my opinion the point of this plugin is the analog modes.

As far as the off mode goes it is good but nothing exceptional compared to other things I have. I don't view the mode knob as a color knob because it changes the behavior entirely. You can't use all the same settings between modes and expect it to act like a character control when it is meant to emulate entirely different compressors.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

I don't think it's emulating different compression behaviours in the simulations (at least it doesn't sound like that to me).

To me it is one compressor with optional colors (that either work for you or don't). And to me - in 'off' mode - it sounds better than most compressor plugins.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I do own track comp and love it. Unfortunately it has one big deal breaker for me and that is the wide range of CPU usage between some of the modes. On my system the DMG mode always registers as using zero CPU but then as I move up the list it gets higher and higher until it's closer to 12% in 1176 and la2a modes. I absolutely love the models and the plugin and use it every mix but I usually stick with DMG mode. When I mix a session with high track counts I have to be conscious of CPU usage and 5% or less is about what I am looking for in a compressor with multiple analog modeled modes. The only thing I have found that is close is the hornet multicompplus mk2 but there is just something about it i don't like. I think it's because some of the controls only function in certain modes and I would rstherbhave something like TrackComp where they extrapolate controls rather than stick with the hardware limitations. Just like in the compressor one.
I totally hear you on the hornet - i kind of like the company, and think there is something cool about the compressor, but something doesn't click. Can't work that out...

With track comp - i almost exclusively use the DMG mode. I just love the flexibility and think it sounds great. Though your post has made me want to re try the other modes....honestly haven't given them much thought in a while.
Love the knee and RMS controls....they make it for me, with the stereo linkage etc.
I really do think it is one of the best out there...(along with the rest of their stuff)
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

I have tried this a bit now and i think i have confirmed my original thoughts - this is another comp that deals exceptionally well with very fast transients. It can clamp down insanely quick whilst remaining very smooth. The release action is really nice too. Great movement overall. To me, this is a tool, rather than a tone box.
I think that is how i view all of their plugs - they are mixing tools to me.

As a test. i just pulled down the threshold with auto gain on - leaving ratio at 1.3:1, rel at 30 ms attack at quickest. it is amazing how effectively you can control the dynamics range on an instrument with fast transients, without even using a ratio above 1.3:1.
That makes for very smooth action. Love the interface.
For me these tools sit at the end of the chain, for when i have done all my sound design...all my vibe processing. Then when i am in a mix i snap them in and they are there to sit things, poke them out, tuck them in. They seem to be very effective at this in my use.
Old 10th May 2019
Here for the gear

for me the compressor is amazing and its the first that remind me the analog era. The majority of the plugin compressors just give gain to the signal, except MIA Compressor One that gives me the right sense. Also I believe that the "band compression" is a very powerful sound design tool
The simulations are interesting to my ears and for sure I will use them somehow. I don't think the simulations fit everywhere but they are ok to me

well done MIA Laboratories, I will buy it because I like the sound and the capabilities, and also the price!!!
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
I don't think it's emulating different compression behaviours in the simulations (at least it doesn't sound like that to me).

To me it is one compressor with optional colors (that either work for you or don't). And to me - in 'off' mode - it sounds better than most compressor plugins.
The product page says "Five carefully designed simulation algorithms. CLASS A, OPTO, FET and TUBE I & II transform the operation of the compressor and reproduce the sound of the above legendary types." I don't know if it emulates specific units but it is definitely intended to emulate hardware.

I'm not going to be "that guy" and I will let everyone do their own testing but my findings are very interesting and not at all what I expected. I would really like to know what their modeling methods are because the results are unlike anything I have seen.

I'm not saying this is a bad plugin. I love the feature set and the compression action is pretty good. It's just that outside of the analog models it doesn't offer me anything new and and the compression models aren't holding up to scrutiny for me and some of them also just sound too dramatic. I have tested analog gear including compressors and I can tell you right now whatever methods they are using here may in some cases produce a similar sound but it is not the way I expect based on my own experience. Beyond that you will either have to do your own testing or bring this up in the plugin testing thread because I don't want to hijack this thread.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Right feature set except it’s missing a crucial one for a compressor - mix knob.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
I totally hear you on the hornet - i kind of like the company, and think there is something cool about the compressor, but something doesn't click. Can't work that out...

With track comp - i almost exclusively use the DMG mode. I just love the flexibility and think it sounds great. Though your post has made me want to re try the other modes....honestly haven't given them much thought in a while.
Love the knee and RMS controls....they make it for me, with the stereo linkage etc.
I really do think it is one of the best out there...(along with the rest of their stuff)
Yeah I love trackcomp and I like the nodes a lot but the CPU usage turns it into something i have to use more sparingly. Also you can use the curve shapes to make the DMG mode react in a more analog way it just won't have the distortion.

The hornet comp held up to testing much better than I expected but as you said it just feels off and I have never been able to figure out exactly why.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah I love trackcomp and I like the nodes a lot but the CPU usage turns it into something i have to use more sparingly. Also you can use the curve shapes to make the DMG mode react in a more analog way it just won't have the distortion.

The hornet comp held up to testing much better than I expected but as you said it just feels off and I have never been able to figure out exactly why.
Totally agree with everything in that. I made a 'DMG track strip" with the gate, comp, eq, limit and DS...it is a dream channel strip for me. I would be happy to use that on everything - problem is, with that lod pf quality comes the CPU hit.
I agree...

I got to a point where all my analog comps had to have the latest tech when it comes to non linear distortion, so i got heavily into fuse etc.
But i have to say, now i am using plugins like the Kush transformers and Kazrog True Iron, i have found a new appreciation for comps that model behaviour and not the transformers, non lin behavior. Because that way i can add it with a plugin and control the amount etc - it is actually quite a cool way of doing it, whilst opening me up to a bunch of cool plugs.

I def see this comp in that category - i hear no particular non lin behavior or modeled circuitry, but i do hear a comp that can tackle difficult problems and level things with ease. Nice when paired with one of the transformer plugs.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

i tried today and i really find it..great!
i have many many compressors.(uad,acustica audio,N4 and many other famous comps)
it is great in single instruments.My favorite mode is class a.Just try it on vocals,bass kick.IT gives a huge sound.
it is not for ''colorless' ' compression (though i haven't tried the ''off''* mode yet) but when you want to give some vibe and colout to a recording...OMG.
Just use it on everything you want to make fatter(class A and tube 1 or 2)
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Totally agree with everything in that. I made a 'DMG track strip" with the gate, comp, eq, limit and DS...it is a dream channel strip for me. I would be happy to use that on everything - problem is, with that lod pf quality comes the CPU hit.
I agree...

I got to a point where all my analog comps had to have the latest tech when it comes to non linear distortion, so i got heavily into fuse etc.
But i have to say, now i am using plugins like the Kush transformers and Kazrog True Iron, i have found a new appreciation for comps that model behaviour and not the transformers, non lin behavior. Because that way i can add it with a plugin and control the amount etc - it is actually quite a cool way of doing it, whilst opening me up to a bunch of cool plugs.

I def see this comp in that category - i hear no particular non lin behavior or modeled circuitry, but i do hear a comp that can tackle difficult problems and level things with ease. Nice when paired with one of the transformer plugs.
Yeah I know what you mean and I definitely am the same way. That's kind of why I was excited about this because I own tons of plugs but I have never really gone after analog emulations. I own some PA comps I guess but don't use them as much as things like Pro-c2 and TrackComp. As far as compression goes there is really only one thing I'm still after and it's a multi-mode emulation that has at least attack, release, and ratio in each mode while using no more than 5% CPU. I think Compressor One is a good compressor for sure but the analog models just don't fit for me and the off mode is good but I don't prefer it over what I already use.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I know what you mean and I definitely am the same way. That's kind of why I was excited about this because I own tons of plugs but I have never really gone after analog emulations. I own some PA comps I guess but don't use them as much as things like Pro-c2 and TrackComp. As far as compression goes there is really only one thing I'm still after and it's a multi-mode emulation that has at least attack, release, and ratio in each mode while using no more than 5% CPU. I think Compressor One is a good compressor for sure but the analog models just don't fit for me and the off mode is good but I don't prefer it over what I already use.
Omni Channel?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search