The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'
Old 13th May 2019
  #61
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
My suggestions... Remove the simulations, add a mix knob, make the interface resizeable, add a knee control, add an input knob.

These "simulations" are nothing more than crazy EQ curves. Most of which introduce terrible resonances. They aren't any sort of compressor simulation due to the fact they are not compressor dependent and the dynamic functionality doesn't change with them. A better result can be achieved by tweaking an EQ by ear. Just my thoughts.
i found different dynamic behaviour with each simulation.I also find that those simulations are not just crazy eq curves.I find different saturation,harmonics etc..
Old 14th May 2019
  #62
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stergios T. View Post
i found different dynamic behaviour with each simulation.I also find that those simulations are not just crazy eq curves.I find different saturation,harmonics etc..
Ok and how did you test this? Because I can tell you with 100% certainty and all the proof documented that the only harmonics that this introduces are compression side effects and the only difference between modes is brought on by the EQ curves themselves. We are talking about numerous 6db boosts sharp enough to actually hurt your ears on some sources and that is in a single mode. Hi hats on opto mode for example. I understand what you think you have found but I did not come to my conclusion by listening to the modes alone. I did the kind of testing a developer is supposed to do and my results are not only accurate but directly contradictory to what you are claiming. Belief is a funny thing.
Old 14th May 2019
  #63
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
Ok and how did you test this? Because I can tell you with 100% certainty and all the proof documented that the only harmonics that this introduces are compression side effects and the only difference between modes is brought on by the EQ curves themselves. We are talking about numerous 6db boosts sharp enough to actually hurt your ears on some sources and that is in a single mode. Hi hats on opto mode for example. I understand what you think you have found but I did not come to my conclusion by listening to the modes alone. I did the kind of testing a developer is supposed to do and my results are not only accurate but directly contradictory to what you are claiming. Belief is a funny thing.
i can hear different character in each simulation.I agree that some simulations are ''extreme'',that's why i suggested a mix knob for the simulations effect.
Old 14th May 2019
  #64
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stergios T. View Post
i can hear different character in each simulation.I agree that some simulations are ''extreme'',that's why i suggested a mix knob for the simulations effect.
I'm sorry but I have done actual testing so it's a little hard to take you serious when your reasoning for saying I'm wrong is solely based on the fact that you listened close. I made my suggestions just like you did so why do you feel the need to reply to me? I understand what you believe you are hearing but I can tell you with 100% accuracy that it's an EQ curve and nothing more. If you like how it sounds that's fine go ahead and use it. I personally am of the opinion that if you want an analog EQ emulation you buy an EQ... not a compressor. This is a good compressor but adding "simulations" only takes away from the appeal of this due to the implementation. I would have preferred that the simulation knob was a soft clipper on the output over what it is. It's great without poorly implemented "analog simulations" and is even unique with the split band operation so why add EQ curves that actually negatively effect the audio just to say it has "analog character"?
Old 14th May 2019
  #65
Lives for gear
 
erwinor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA Laboratories View Post
Some may find the simulations are a bit exaggerated but so is some of the analog gear.
Please don't say that.........its not good for you!!!!
LCA 2B doesn't sound nor look like yours in PD.
The same applies to Manley Vox box.....Avalon AD2044 ,SSL bus compressor,Urei 1178,LA 3a,and GML 2020....those are my guesses.

Τhere is no harmonic distortion just weird/bad eq curves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stergios T. View Post
i can hear different character in each simulation.I agree that some simulations are ''extreme'',that's why i suggested a mix knob for the simulations effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stergios T. View Post
I also find that those simulations are not just crazy eq curves.I find different saturation,harmonics etc..
What you hear is just EQ.....there is no harmonic distortion.
Check this link to hear how a tube tech sounds....it has nothing to do with Compressor one...same with the other examples.

http://www.tube-tech.com/lca-2b-dual...ca-compressor/

VOXBOX....dont count the EQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcxxmtnZNIs

Urei 1178

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqOITKPJn4c
Attached Thumbnails
MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-screen-shot-2019-05-14-10.03.54.jpg   MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-screen-shot-2019-05-14-10.04.06.jpg   MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-screen-shot-2019-05-14-10.04.23.jpg   MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-screen-shot-2019-05-14-10.04.41.jpg   MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-screen-shot-2019-05-14-10.04.59.jpg  

MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-screen-shot-2019-05-14-10.05.10.jpg   MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-screen-shot-2019-05-14-10.05.22.jpg   MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-screen-shot-2019-05-14-10.05.33.jpg   MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-screen-shot-2019-05-14-10.05.48.jpg   MIA Laboratories Release 'MIA Compressor One'-screen-shot-2019-05-14-10.05.55.jpg  


Last edited by erwinor; 14th May 2019 at 10:51 AM..
Old 14th May 2019
  #66
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Not a fan of the emulations either (how they sound), quite surprised by the curves after checking them out in PD, i.e. 6dB spike on Tube 1 @ 750Hz. What's the point of that? Smoother curves work with far more material.

Suggestions:

1) Add a Scale/Shape (%) dial for the emulations, controlling the EQ from full shape to flat, so people can dial in the exact amount. This control needs to be separate from the overall mix knob since EQ and compression needs to be blended independently.

2) Mix knob mandatory in a plugin designed for versatility.
Old 14th May 2019
  #67
Here for the gear
 

I've been using this plugin for a few days and I find that with the simulation off it is a great tool that can handle anything you throw at it. The simulations are a
bit strong and even though they could work sometimes they are not the reason I like this compressor so much. I am not a big fun of simulations in general. I like clean and transparent in order to preserve the color I have from tracking, or other more specialized plugs, and in the off position the MIA comp can do that beautifully.
Used it on individual tracks, have not tried it on the mix bus yet, but works great on the dum bus.

YMMV but for me it is already on it's way to becoming an indispensable tool.
I agree with the need for a dry/wet mix control.
Old 14th May 2019
  #68
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
I'm sorry but I have done actual testing so it's a little hard to take you serious when your reasoning for saying I'm wrong is solely based on the fact that you listened close. I made my suggestions just like you did so why do you feel the need to reply to me? I understand what you believe you are hearing but I can tell you with 100% accuracy that it's an EQ curve and nothing more. If you like how it sounds that's fine go ahead and use it. I personally am of the opinion that if you want an analog EQ emulation you buy an EQ... not a compressor. This is a good compressor but adding "simulations" only takes away from the appeal of this due to the implementation. I would have preferred that the simulation knob was a soft clipper on the output over what it is. It's great without poorly implemented "analog simulations" and is even unique with the split band operation so why add EQ curves that actually negatively effect the audio just to say it has "analog character"?
yes,you are right i like it and iam going to use it a lot.
you have to find the sweet spot with this compressor (in simulations mode) in a different way that you are used to.That's what i understand.I tried to use it with a different mindset..and it worked for me.(i repeat for the simulations )
Old 14th May 2019
  #69
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stergios T. View Post
yes,you are right i like it and iam going to use it a lot.
you have to find the sweet spot with this compressor (in simulations mode) in a different way that you are used to.That's what i understand.I tried to use it with a different mindset..and it worked for me.(i repeat for the simulations )
Well the EQ curves don't change no matter what you do so best of luck finding a sweet spot. You will have a easier time with it off.
Old 14th May 2019
  #70
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
Well the EQ curves don't change no matter what you do so best of luck finding a sweet spot. You will have a easier time with it off.
Just try the band compression using the band comp level knob mixed with the rest of the signal ..try for example the classA on a bass or kick
Old 14th May 2019
  #71
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stergios T. View Post
Just try the band compression using the band comp level knob mixed with the rest of the signal ..try for example the classA on a bass or kick
I'm sorry but buying a plugin I have to find workarounds for doesn't make much sense to me. Sounds more like you bought something without spending enough time with it and now you are trying to justify your purchase. I have tested this in so many ways that it's ridiculous. There is nothing you can tell me about it. In fact, I think it's pretty obvious which one of us is oblivious about how this plugin works.
Old 14th May 2019
  #72
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
I'm sorry but buying a plugin I have to find workarounds for doesn't make much sense to me. Sounds more like you bought something without spending enough time with it and now you are trying to justify your purchase. I have tested this in so many ways that it's ridiculous. There is nothing you can tell me about it. In fact, I think it's pretty obvious which one of us is oblivious about how this plugin works.
Guesses,guesses....only guesses.you don't know how much time i spent with the plugin before buying it.
.you don't know me so well to judge how i think,behave etc...so you don't know if i generally justify anything in my life.
I have regret buying only 1-2 plugins.this is absolutely not one of them.
I find it really useful.you don't.Good for you.
Old 14th May 2019
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Arionas's Avatar
Relax guys... "to each their own path." (Will The Weirdo)
I personally find this plugin very useful , good sounding and it speeds up my workflow in order to achieve the desired effect.
However I agree with previous suggestions for Input, Mix and blend saturation knobs.
It has already replace some of my track plugin compressors. Haven't tried it yet on the mix-bus.
Waiting for the update!
Old 15th May 2019
  #74
Here for the gear
Hello guys.
I was lucky enough to be a beta tester for the fellows at MIA Labs.

My verdict :

I don't really care if it emulates properly a Tubetech LCA-2B , or a Manley Emu , or an 1176 .... You have to ask yourself. Does it work for me ? Does it sound good ? My answer is YES for both questions.
I found that it is a really helpful tone shaping tool, that goes beyond the typical compressor principle, and that's the way I am going to use it in my future projects. After all we should HEAR sound first, and check the graphs and specs later. I think we grew accustomed to visualizing things, but we forgot how to actually LISTEN. Something like "Video killed the Radio Star".
Think about it.
Surely it can have an improved GUI and functions like a MIX knob (like Decapitator for instance, a personal favorite) but it is not a CPU hog , it delivers results quickly and efficiently, and IT SOUNDS GOOD.

My 2 cents
Old 15th May 2019
  #75
Lives for gear
 
erwinor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbell View Post
Hello guys.
I don't really care if it emulates properly a Tubetech LCA-2B , or a Manley Emu , or an 1176 ....
Its ok if you don't care...I wouldn't too if they didn't insist that it emulates gear of the past....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA Laboratories View Post
Some may find the simulations are a bit exaggerated but so is some of the analog gear.
That in bold isn't right.....they should avoid "simulation"in my opinion, replace it with "color" and better not mention analog gear because there is not a piece of analog gear specially compressors with those drastic curves

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbell View Post
.......but it is not a CPU hog
Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbell View Post
it delivers results quickly and efficiently
Nothing special

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbell View Post
IT SOUNDS GOOD.
well.....with simulation on NO IT DOES NOT....with off its just a regular plugin.

Its a nice try from guys at MIA, I am not against them, they have good stuff.. Pi & Fi is getting a lot of use when mastering but please be careful when you say ANALOG.....

Last edited by erwinor; 15th May 2019 at 05:06 PM..
Old 16th May 2019
  #76
Gear Addict
 

Just to clarify here... I said more than once it's a good compressor but one specific person has decided to tell everyone who doesn't share his opinion they are wrong and then make a bunch of claims that are 100% false and that have already been proven false. I never said this was a bad compressor. In fact, it has some great features. However, the simulations are obviously misleading. This is evidenced by people swearing them to be legitimate even after being shown the proof that they are not. I have no desire to argue. I won't let someone offering absolutely no evidence or facts tell me I am wrong though. Once again, I never claimed this plugin was bad. I only suggested updates that someone else didn't approve of.
Old 16th May 2019
  #77
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbell View Post
Hello guys.
I was lucky enough to be a beta tester for the fellows at MIA Labs.

My verdict :

I don't really care if it emulates properly a Tubetech LCA-2B , or a Manley Emu , or an 1176 .... You have to ask yourself. Does it work for me ? Does it sound good ? My answer is YES for both questions.
I found that it is a really helpful tone shaping tool, that goes beyond the typical compressor principle, and that's the way I am going to use it in my future projects. After all we should HEAR sound first, and check the graphs and specs later. I think we grew accustomed to visualizing things, but we forgot how to actually LISTEN. Something like "Video killed the Radio Star".
Think about it.
Surely it can have an improved GUI and functions like a MIX knob (like Decapitator for instance, a personal favorite) but it is not a CPU hog , it delivers results quickly and efficiently, and IT SOUNDS GOOD.

My 2 cents
I did listen first. Anyone who can't hear these EQ curves with or without a graph clearly isn't listening very well. 3 of the 5 simulations are so drastic that they actually introduce ringing longer than the sound that goes into them. Put tube 1 on a clap sound. Or tube 2 on a kick. Or opto on hihat. We are talking about boosts >6db with a Q factor higher than the average notch filter. It is so crazy to me how many people this went past with no complaints just for it to now be implied that I am the one that didn't listen simply because I investigated further.
Old 16th May 2019
  #78
Lives for gear
 

Ok, I honestly think the guys at MIA Labs are just going for something here. They're doing what they think is cool and it works for some people and for others it doesn't.

To my ears the compression characters are useful. I really love Class A on drums. Useful features also. Looking forward to the mix knob, maybe this will provide greater control...

...and speaking to the developers the new version will contain a strength control for the newly named 'colour' dial with simply 5 options, no names of emulation style. And a Dry/Wet.

Looking good.
Old 17th May 2019
  #79
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
Ok, I honestly think the guys at MIA Labs are just going for something here. They're doing what they think is cool and it works for some people and for others it doesn't.

To my ears the compression characters are useful. I really love Class A on drums. Useful features also. Looking forward to the mix knob, maybe this will provide greater control...

...and speaking to the developers the new version will contain a strength control for the newly named 'colour' dial with simply 5 options, no names of emulation style. And a Dry/Wet.

Looking good.
yes,that's also my opinion.Ialso believe that this ''strenght control will satisfy everybody,even the non believers.

TIP:use tha band compression in order to avoid the strong character of the simulations.play with the band compr mix knob,threshold and the filters!!
Old 17th May 2019
  #80
Lives for gear
 
erwinor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
Just to clarify here... I said more than once it's a good compressor but one specific person has decided to tell everyone who doesn't share his opinion they are wrong and then make a bunch of claims that are 100% false and that have already been proven false. I never said this was a bad compressor. In fact, it has some great features. However, the simulations are obviously misleading. This is evidenced by people swearing them to be legitimate even after being shown the proof that they are not. I have no desire to argue. I won't let someone offering absolutely no evidence or facts tell me I am wrong though. Once again, I never claimed this plugin was bad. I only suggested updates that someone else didn't approve of.
Υou shouldn't expect to become likeable when just saying the facts.....I showed them too.

Whats the problem if you find it bad???
Nothing at all its your opinion and should be respectable.

Problem with some companies and their believers is that they see enemies everywhere in case you don't agree with them....I have seen this again

We are not bashing them nor their products....we just observe, showing the evidence (bad simulations in this case)and that should give them the push to make their products better.

You know... when you are talking about the drawback of something its not because you hate it......but its because you want it to be better.

Last edited by erwinor; 17th May 2019 at 08:22 AM..
Old 17th May 2019
  #81
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
Ok, I honestly think the guys at MIA Labs are just going for something here. They're doing what they think is cool and it works for some people and for others it doesn't.

To my ears the compression characters are useful. I really love Class A on drums. Useful features also. Looking forward to the mix knob, maybe this will provide greater control...

...and speaking to the developers the new version will contain a strength control for the newly named 'colour' dial with simply 5 options, no names of emulation style. And a Dry/Wet.

Looking good.
Good news, those changes will make it much more useful. Cheers to the devs for listening.
Old 17th May 2019
  #82
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinor View Post
Υou shouldn't expect to become likeable when just saying the facts.....I showed them too.

Whats the problem if you find it bad???
Nothing at all its your opinion and should be respectable.

Problem with some companies and their believers is that they see enemies everywhere in case you don't agree with them....I have seen this again

We are not bashing them nor their products....we just observe, showing the evidence (bad simulations in this case)and that should give them the push to make their products better.

You know... when you are talking about the drawback of something its not because you hate it......but its because you want it to be better.
Yeah, I agree that this is the way it should work but we live in a strange world where companies don't want to acknowledge a mistake or bug as if it devalues their brand when the reality is that acknowledging things and fixing them based on user requests is a show of strength. You are right I shouldn't have to explain myself in the way i did but it has become a habit. It's very difficult to tell someone they are wrong and expect them to listen or have a constructive conversation so I always try to be clear and avoid being more negative than I have to because at the end of the day the conversation is all that matters. We are on a forum built entirely on discussion and conveying information. I suppose it probably doesn't matter on GS because most people on here think their opinion is the only thing that matters but I always try to push conversations on here in a productive direction when I can because otherwise we are all wasting our time.
Old 29th May 2019
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Arionas's Avatar
VERSION 1.1 UPDATE!!


1) New Dry / Processed knob to control the balance between the Dry and the compressed (processed)
signal.

2) Changed the “Simulation” knob to “Colour Type “

3) Added a knob to control the “Amount” of colour to be added to the signal.

Great! Thanks Mia Laboratories!
Old 30th May 2019
  #84
Lives for gear
 
erwinor's Avatar
 

This is great... even I don't find this compressor useful for my needs ... I have to congrat MIA team for listening and been so fast.
Well done!!
Old 31st May 2019
  #85
Here for the gear
 
MIA Laboratories's Avatar
 

Greetings to one and all !

Thank you for your notes and suggestions about Mia Compressor One.

as we have mentioned before, the MIA community and crew, happen to love feedback! It is a large part of how we work, evolve and improve.

We have released the updated version of MIA Compressor One.

This version includes:

Dry / Processed knob to control the balance between the Dry and the compressed (processed) signal.
“Colour Type “ with 5 carefully re-designed eq curves to add some “MIA” flavour to your sound.
a knob to control the “Amount” of colour to be added to the signal.



In case that anyone that has downloaded and activated the Trial of the previous version and wants to try the new update, we welcome you to contact us at [email protected] and we will extend your trial period for another 14 days.


You can find the updated files here:
https://mialaboratories.com/product/mia-compressor-one/

May the Sound be with you!
Old 1st June 2019
  #86
Gear Addict
 

Hmmmmmm, I suppose I could get the new demo and check the changes out. Got some sessions today though. I do really like that they acknowledged many of the things I said with this update. Especially because I was pretty critical. Not sure why you guys made a new thread. I suppose for a fresh start but if customer opinion matters so much to you this thread is great because it shows you guys took immediate response to solve issues users had. Anyway, I'll have to find time to write support and wait on the new demo and everything. Thanks to Mia for putting in effort regardless of outcome.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump